PDA

View Full Version : Just got through listening to this morning Boneyard on BSR

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:07 PM
After listening to it I just have a real bad feeling about this class. Keep getting "2017 is our year for recruiting" and "this is a bridge class". Any time I start hearing that from our unofficial outlets I know we are being prepared for a let down. Now he is confirming that AJ is going to Bama the weekend that is States in state recruit weekend but he is going to Oxford's big weekend. I know he is from Starkville and blah blah blah but you would think if he wanted to he here he would be here with future team mates. Out of the 5 or 6 big ones left out there I think we get Lashley and that's about it. I hope I'm wrong but I just think I'm right.

msstate7
01-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Melting already?

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:11 PM
After listening to it I just have a real bad feeling about this class. Keep getting "2017 is our year for recruiting" and "this is a bridge class". Any time I start hearing that from our unofficial outlets I know we are being prepared for a let down. Now he is confirming that AJ is going to Bama the weekend that is States in state recruit weekend but he is going to Oxford's big weekend. I know he is from Starkville and blah blah blah but you would think if he wanted to he here he would be here with future team mates. Out of the 5 or 6 big ones left out there I think we get Lashley and that's about it. I hope I'm wrong but I just think I'm right.

Is this guy a troll?

Because I listened to the Boneyard today as well, & came out with a completely different outlook on things. You listened to that and think we only get Lashley? WAT?

I think Rosebowl purposefully tempers expectations, but he said nothing of the sort about what you are insinuating.

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Jesus dude... I forgot this time of year everyone is a troll. He reported Lashley was supposed to come but will and said that we were in play for Knott more than ever before but the chance was small that we would sign him. He then talked about Brown not visiting. Before all of that he talked about it being a bridge class, limited scholarships, last year was a great year with lots of good red shirts and 2017 was our big year for recruiting. Seems like he is tempering expectation a lot. That worries me... A lot. Especially when it's about athletes literally in States back yard. And Simmons wasn't even mentioned.

I did enjoy his discussion of the ULL investigation and what to expect in regards to sanctions against UNM. He HAS to know something big is coming. He's strutting like a rooster of this stuff. I hope like hell he is right.

msstate7
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Only landing lashley is the most pessimistic outlook that I've heard so far. Not sure what leads this view

Coach34
01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Jones and Lashley for sure
Knott is unlikely to get a Bammer offer

AJ and Simmons? Still a battle

Todd4State
01-11-2016, 09:24 PM
We will finish strong this year.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Only landing lashley is the most pessimistic outlook that I've heard so far. Not sure what leads this view

That's not what Rosebowl said

http://i.imgur.com/T7gqqBf.jpg

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
We will finish strong this year.

Agree

I'm beginning to get more encouraged that we'll get all of Lashley, Jones, Brown, & Simmons & hopefully we get two of Knott, Couch, Moon, & Fitzgerald.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Jesus dude... I forgot this time of year everyone is a troll. He reported Lashley was supposed to come but will and said that we were in play for Knott more than ever before but the chance was small that we would sign him. He then talked about Brown not visiting. Before all of that he talked about it being a bridge class, limited scholarships, last year was a great year with lots of good red shirts and 2017 was our big year for recruiting. Seems like he is tempering expectation a lot. That worries me... A lot. Especially when it's about athletes literally in States back yard. And Simmons wasn't even mentioned.

I did enjoy his discussion of the ULL investigation and what to expect in regards to sanctions against UNM. He HAS to know something big is coming. He's strutting like a rooster of this stuff. I hope like hell he is right.

I don't think your a troll, but this is a sensitive time of year. If your going to start a thread on recruiting, it's best if you actually, at least, have the facts right about what you heard.

Bdawg
01-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Steve has been talking for over a year this would be a small class and our ranking will suffer because we won't sign 25. If you don't use full 25 you can't reach your full potential in the rankings. Now your average star rankings will tell another story. Anyway, I think all these guys want to take their visits and then make a decision. Just have to hope it goes our way. Stay positive man!!

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Steve has been talking for over a year this would be a small class and our ranking will suffer because we won't sign 25. If you don't use full 25 you can't reach your full potential in the rankings. Now your average star rankings will tell another story. Anyway, I think all these guys want to take their visits and then make a decision. Just have to hope it goes our way. Stay positive man!!

That's something that Scout does that I don't like. I believe 247's rankings are calculated differently.

I think 247 offers a numerical value for each player, the better the player the more points he is worth, & then it just add up the total points, with 25 being the maximum amount of players that can be calculated.

So where Scout gives you a "0" for each player under the 25, on 247 you just don't get any additional points.

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:36 PM
That's not what Rosebowl said

http://i.imgur.com/T7gqqBf.jpg

He said that it is uncommon for state to get commits from the big targets that don't show up for the recruiting weekend. In fact he said it the past two shows while talking about this subject and the previous show he said something like "it just doesn't happen". Maybe he's just more unsure on his radio show. I don't really do Twitter so I don't know what all he says on there.

I will be ecstatic if we close strong and get them all but we've never really been able to close in the past like that...especially with Bama in the mix. I just don't feel good about the way it's shaping up.

Coach34
01-11-2016, 09:36 PM
Steve has been talking for over a year this would be a small class

No doubt- but our recruiting is going to judged on the Big 5- losing the Egg Bowl at home and then losing recruits from your backyard not only looks bad- it is bad. Not signing Simmons or AJ would be a failure by our staff and recruiters. We'll see how it turns out

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:38 PM
I don't think your a troll, but this is a sensitive time of year. If your going to start a thread on recruiting, it's best if you actually, at least, have the facts right about what you heard.

What? He said exactly what I wrote. My fears regarding who we sign or don't sign are mine but they are based on what he said. My facts are right regarding what he said in his program. Anyone can go listen to it.

Bdawg
01-11-2016, 09:40 PM
That's something that Scout does that I don't like. I believe 247's rankings are calculated differently.

That's why I kinda like looking at your average star rankings for your class. Better snapshot of what type of player you are signing. That is if you believe the star rankings are accurate

MarketingBully
01-11-2016, 09:45 PM
AJ is going to officially visit us, relax. My thinking is he would have gone to MSU this weekend had he not promised Alabama he would visit this weekend. My thinking is he is not going to visit Cal and will visit us that weekend.

Bdawg
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
No doubt- but our recruiting is going to judged on the Big 5- losing the Egg Bowl at home and then losing recruits from your backyard not only looks bad- it is bad. Not signing Simmons or AJ would be a failure by our staff and recruiters. We'll see how it turns out

Yep. I posted on another thread 1 out of 5= failure, 2/5=not good, 3/5=meh 4/5=happy 5/5= estactic. Also agree if we lose both Simmons and AJ its automatic failure

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:48 PM
That's why I kinda like looking at your average star rankings for your class. Better snapshot of what type of player you are signing. That is if you believe the star rankings are accurate

I think recruiting classes are important within the bracket that you fall in rather than the actual rankings. So much of it depend on needs & balance.

Generally though:

If you recruit in the top 10 for 3 or so years, you are acquiring enough elite talent that you shouldn't have many holes.

If you are recruiting in 11-15, you are a contender, but not every year. You have more depth the the teams that recruit 15-25, but not necessarily more great players.

If you are recruiting 16-25 - You have solid talent & enough to beat anyone if you have great QB play. But you will likely have some holes that prevent you from winning the natty.

The problem is that the teams in the top 10 hoard all the 5 star players. So as a team that recruits 11-25, you may have tons of depth & really good players, but you lack the game breaking speed or elite player

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:49 PM
AJ is going to officially visit us, relax. My thinking is he would have gone to MSU this weekend had he not promised Alabama he would visit this weekend. My thinking is he is not going to visit Cal and will visit us that weekend.

I just don't get why he promised Bama he would visit them the weekend of our big in-state recruiting weekend

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:49 PM

I really REaLLY hope you are right!!

msstate7
01-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I really REaLLY hope you are right!!

The 2 guys on this site that I listen to the most about recruiting are Hancockcountydog and ifyouonlyknew. Both think we sign aj, so I'm not worried

Dawgology
01-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I just don't get why he promised Bama he would visit them the weekend of our big in-state recruiting weekend

Exactly

Coach34
01-11-2016, 09:52 PM

AJ knows State inside and out, He wants to get out and go see some places, get some money stuffed in his pocket, and laid. I hope he has a great time.

MarketingBully
01-11-2016, 09:54 PM

I don't know why either. Mullen seems pretty confident about him when you read Paul Jones articles with AJ. In the end, I don't see how he goes anywhere else but MSU.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 09:55 PM
I don't know why either. Mullen seems pretty confident about him when you read Paul Jones articles with AJ. In the end, I don't see how he goes anywhere else but MSU.

I agree.

mparkerfd20
01-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Hope it's just gas, but I have a feeling this board is gonna be unreadable for several weeks after signing day. Especially when we only get 1 of the big 5 or so we're after.

msstate7
01-11-2016, 10:51 PM
Hope it's just gas, but I have a feeling this board is gonna be unreadable for several weeks after signing day. Especially when we only get 1 of the big 5 or so we're after.

1 of 5... Lol

Spiderman
01-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Yep. I posted on another thread 1 out of 5= failure, 2/5=not good, 3/5=meh 4/5=happy 5/5= estactic. Also agree if we lose both Simmons and AJ its automatic failure

If we get 3 of 5 I promise you, you won't be Meh, you'll be ecstatic. Or you should be.

HancockCountyDog
01-11-2016, 11:08 PM
If we get 3 of 5 I promise you, you won't be Meh, you'll be ecstatic. Or you should be.

3 of 5 is pretty meh, considering the connections we have with all five.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 11:11 PM

Since your such a trusted recruiting guy, what do you think is going to happen?

scottycameron
01-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Since your such a trusted recruiting guy, what do you think is going to happen?

Change the avatar, DB. If you don't want the shotgun guy anymore that's fine, just leave it blank.

Coach34
01-11-2016, 11:40 PM

Especially considering Simmons is hanging around our football complex a couple days a week

Blackout
01-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Especially considering Simmons is hanging around our football complex a couple days a week

Where else is he gonna go? I'd be leaving noxubee country every chance I could too.

3/5 should be unacceptable with this group. Especially if we lose AJ and Simmons. This is the time to prove if we want to be a contender or not.

HancockCountyDog
01-11-2016, 11:54 PM

Yeah, Knott's sister at MSU, AJ and Kobe being from Starkville, Lashley being a legacy, and Simmons being right down the road. If we want to raise the ceiling, 5 of 5 is how you do it.

msstate7
01-11-2016, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Knott's sister at MSU, AJ and Kobe being from Starkville, Lashley being a legacy, and Simmons being right down the road. If we want to raise the ceiling, 5 of 5 is how you do it.

I say 4 of 5 with the 1 being Simmons or knott.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 12:08 AM
I think there's a shot at 5 for 5 & I'd run through the streets naked if it happens.

It would give us a recruiting class that would actually get us closer to going to Atlanta than away from it.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 12:11 AM

Be VERY lucky to get 3 of the 5 as of now. So we better hope we can get 3. If we do, it won't be Meh.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 12:12 AM
Be VERY lucky to get 3 of the 5 as of now. So we better hope we can get 3. If we do, it won't be Meh.

Who are the 2 you think we have no shot at?

Blackout
01-12-2016, 12:13 AM

That's the thinking saying 2012 was a good year because 8 wins!

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2016, 12:36 AM

Very lucky to get 3 of 5?

This has to be a troll.

Homedawg
01-12-2016, 12:47 AM

Not if we lose brown and Simmons. They are the best 2 players in the state. I'll be glad we got the other 3 but....ugh will suck to lose the other 2. They have nfl written all over them barring injury or idiocy.

Coach34
01-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Once again:

Lashley and Jones are in the boat
Knott is unlikely to get a Bama offer- so we should close that

It's down to what Simmons and AJ do...

Political Hack
01-12-2016, 09:35 AM
To bring this back to reality, what are Paul and Eliterecruiting saying? That's where there's a track record of people being correct about these things.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2016, 09:39 AM
AJ will either be in Maroon or Crimson. I feel very confident it will be maroon

maroonmania
01-12-2016, 10:01 AM

I don't know why in the heck you would say we should be ecstatic to get 3 of 5 when 4 of 5 are basically within walking distance of campus? All of these guys grew up around MSU football in its most consistently successful period EVER! To not get at LEAST 3 of the 5 would have to be considered a major failure. I mean its not like we are trying to recruit these guys to a Croom MSU program.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 10:37 AM
I don't know why in the heck you would say we should be ecstatic to get 3 of 5 when 4 of 5 are basically within walking distance of campus? All of these guys grew up around MSU football in its most consistently successful period EVER! To not get at LEAST 3 of the 5 would have to be considered a major failure. I mean its not like we are trying to recruit these guys to a Croom MSU program.

If we miss on AJ and Simmons, this class is a bust. Ole Miss feels good on Simmons. AJ is not officially visiting us so that's a concern. And Bama missed on Ridley's brother so they will probably turn the heat up on Brown.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Who are the 2 you think we have no shot at?

I didn't say no shot, but AJ,and for sure Knott and Simmons don't have us at the top of their lists right now. AJ not OVing is a big red flag. I don't care what you say.

I don't really care a bout recruiting like most, but between here, Rosey, and talk radio, you can't help but hear about these 3 a lot.

I'd be happy to get any 1 of those 3, because it doesn't look good AS OF RIGHT NOW.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2016, 10:54 AM
I'll be very surprised if we don't get a minimum of 4 of those 5.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Once again:

Lashley and Jones are in the boat
Knott is unlikely to get a Bama offer- so we should close that

It's down to what Simmons and AJ do...

I agree, as of now about Lashley and Jones. Although they are hurting us and themselves by not committing if true.

We are probably 3rd for Knott, as of right now.

We are behind on Simmons and the AJ deal is fishy.

So what I mean by being glad we get 3 of the 5, is that AS OF NOW, we would get only 2. 3 is better than 2.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2016, 10:58 AM
I'll be very surprised if we don't get a minimum of 4 of those 5.

I'm with you, of course I'm assuming that Bama doesn't offer Knott. If they do, I reserve the right to change this prediction. My gut says they don't offer him though. It would be nice for him to just say screw it and Im going to commit to the team that actually wants me this weekend.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm with you, of course I'm assuming that Bama doesn't offer Knott. If they do, I reserve the right to change this prediction. My gut says they don't offer him though. It would be nice for him to just say screw it and Im going to commit to the team that actually wants me this weekend.

And Humphrey and Fitzpatrick who both started at corner are freshman. It's going to be a minimum of 3 years before he sees the field, if ever.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2016, 11:32 AM
And Humphrey and Fitzpatrick who both started at corner are freshman. It's going to be a minimum of 3 years before he sees the field, if ever.

I wish top flight players actually looked at depth charts. They never do. Otherwise Bama wouldn't be able to sign 3 Top 10 RB's every year even thought they don't distribute the ball to all of their backs.

bulldawg28
01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
I agree, as of now about Lashley and Jones. Although they are hurting us and themselves by not committing if true.

We are probably 3rd for Knott, as of right now.

We are behind on Simmons and the AJ deal is fishy.

So what I mean by being glad we get 3 of the 5, is that AS OF NOW, we would get only 2. 3 is better than 2.

Lay off the bottle.

Political Hack
01-12-2016, 11:48 AM
I wish top flight players actually looked at depth charts. They never do. Otherwise Bama wouldn't be able to sign 3 Top 10 RB's every year even thought they don't distribute the ball to all of their backs.

Henry broke Bama's all time rushing yardage record and only started 1-year. That's pretty amazing to me. More amazing than Dak smashing every record in only 2 years, which is also pretty damn remarkable.

Covercorner2
01-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Class boils down to 3 guys, IMO: Simmons, AJ and Knott. Sign 1, and its a top 25 class. Sign 2, and its a top 20 class. Sign all 3, and its a top 15 class and at the very least on par with last year's class.

bulldawg28
01-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Henry broke Bama's all time rushing yardage record and only started 1-year. That's pretty amazing to me. More amazing than Dak smashing every record in only 2 years, which is also pretty damn remarkable.

Watson set a new mark last night in one year that was amazing!

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Class boils down to 3 guys, IMO: Simmons, AJ and Knott. Sign 1, and its a top 25 class. Sign 2, and its a top 20 class. Sign all 3, and its a top 15 class and at the very least on par with last year's class.

I really like Knott, but to me, he's not on the same level as Simmons and AJ. Those 2 are difference makers. Almost everyone is in agreement that AJ Brown is the best WR out of MS since at least DeAndre Brown and there just aren't many guys like Simmons to be had on the D-line.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I really like Knott, but to me, he's not on the same level as Simmons and AJ. Those 2 are difference makers. Almost everyone is in agreement that AJ Brown is the best WR out of MS since at least DeAndre Brown and there just aren't many guys like Simmons to be had on the D-line.
What's your prediction on those 3?

engie
01-12-2016, 12:06 PM

While I like what you are saying -- it's not really true because of the expected nonqualifiers in this class.

Covercorner2
01-12-2016, 12:08 PM
While I like what you are saying -- it's not really true because of the expected nonqualifiers in this class.

I understand that and the point that Knott may not have the impact as the other 2, but I am strictly talking from a RANKINGS standpoint. Mess around with the 247 class calculator and this is what you will find....

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
What's your prediction on those 3?

As of today: Simmons to Ole Miss, AJ to Bama, and Knott to MSU

Change AJ to MSU if he officially visits.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 12:10 PM
For you star counters & class rankers (including me):

Worst Case:
Scott Lashley - 4*
Kobe Jones - 4*
Raekwon Davis - 4*
Jamal Couch - 3*
Lloyd Cushenberry - 3

Class will be around 30.

Remaining Class:
AJ Brown - 4*
Jeffery Simmons - 4*
Nigel Knott - 4*

Sign 1 of Brown/Simmons/Knott: 22-25
Sign 2 of Brown/Simmons/Knott: 19-21
Sign 3 of Brown/Simmons/Knott: 16-18

Bonus:
Desmond Fitzpatrick - 4*
Jeremiah Moon - 4*

Goes up to 15 - we can dream.

THis is all with removing Golden

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 12:11 PM

This pretty much is what I just said but shorter.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 12:12 PM
As of today: Simmons to Ole Miss, AJ to Bama, and Knott to MSU

Change AJ to MSU if he officially visits.

Who asked ya? Haha

engie
01-12-2016, 12:14 PM

Worst Case:
Scott Lashley - 4*
Kobe Jones - 4*
Raekwon Davis - 4*
Jamal Couch - 3*
Lloyd Cushenberry - 3

Class will be around 30.

Remaining Class:
AJ Brown - 4*
Jeffery Simmons - 4*
Nigel Knott - 4*

Bonus:
Desmond Fitzpatrick - 4*
Jeremiah Moon - 4*

Truly excellent breakdown, thanks...

Covercorner2
01-12-2016, 12:20 PM

Worst Case:
Scott Lashley - 4*
Kobe Jones - 4*
Raekwon Davis - 4*
Jamal Couch - 3*
Lloyd Cushenberry - 3

Class will be around 30.

Remaining Class:
AJ Brown - 4*
Jeffery Simmons - 4*
Nigel Knott - 4*

Bonus:
Desmond Fitzpatrick - 4*
Jeremiah Moon - 4*

^^^^ My points exactly

engie
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I guess my overriding issue is not with the "starZ" in this class. It's with my knowledge of the guys in the middle being real players. Last year, much of the "bottom" of the class were obvious gems. This year, I haven't noticed that to nearly the same extent...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I guess my overriding issue is not with the "starZ" in this class. It's with my knowledge of the guys in the middle being real players. Last year, much of the "bottom" of the class were obvious gems. This year, I haven't noticed that to nearly the same extent...

I think it depends on how we close. We close strong & guys like Morgan-Walker, Dantzler, Errol Thompson, Christian Roberson, Korey Charles, Nero, etc are the middle of the pack kids. That's a very solid core of SEC Caliber players with good offer list but not high rankings.

Covercorner2
01-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Erroll Thompson, Christian Roberson, Cameron Dantzler and Morgan-Walker don't look like gems to you?

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Our out-of-staters all have really good offers, and not guys who committed late when spots were running out at other schools.

Morgan - ASU/Baylor/Cal/Nebraska/OU/A&M
Roberson - Arkansas/Florida/Iowa/Miami/Michigan/Michigan State/NC State
Thompson - Bama/Arkansas/UL/Michigan/Mizzou/Tenn/VTech/UNC/Pitt
Charles - Clemson/FSU/UL/LSU/Miami/UNC/ND/OM/Penn State
Dantzler - Utah/TTech/Cincy

The MS players are what they are - always overlooked.

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Erroll Thompson, Christian Roberson, Cameron Dantzler and Morgan-Walker don't look like gems to you?

I think his point is right now, those are our headliners.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Lay off the bottle.

Heard the same last week, when told I was wrong about the DC stuff

bulldawg28
01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Heard the same last week, when told I was wrong about the DC stuff

I will agree with that you were on point. Hopefully things change and end better with these guys or better replacements