PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Abram transferring from Georgia

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 05:54 PM
For East Marion product Johnathan Abram is transferring from Georgia where he has 25 tackles & started a few games for them at safety.

He has 4 years to play 3 & it looks as if MSU may be in the mix.

I don't know much about this guy, but I don't think we pursued him much last year, due to already having Peters & McClaurin.

How fast is this guy? If he can bring more speed to our defense or depth, then I'm all for taking him. Any amount of speed that we can add to our personnel is a plus IMO

Really Clark?
01-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Headed to Jones possibly for one year then eligible to go anywhere with 3 to play 2

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Headed to Jones possibly for one year then eligible to go anywhere with 3 to play 2

That's IF he plays at Jones. IMO, he should take a redshirt & then transfer to MSU to enroll in January.

No sense in wasting a year at Jones

RBritt
01-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Didn't his coach he signed to play for gone. Or does that just work for signees being eligible?

Really Clark?
01-11-2016, 06:16 PM
That's IF he plays at Jones. IMO, he should take a redshirt & then transfer to MSU to enroll in January.

He would have to pay his way and then talk the coaches into being a redshirt player. Very seriously doubt they do that.

smootness
01-11-2016, 06:16 PM

I'm not sure you can use the redshirt like that.

yjnkdawg
01-11-2016, 07:29 PM

I have never heard of a football player redshirting at a Junior College. I think it is because they can't. But if they can, under certain circumstances, why would a JUCO coach want this? The player would be at his school for one year and redshirts. What benefit would the player be to the team or the coach? Now if a player redshirts at a 4 year school, then he gets another year of eligibility with the potential to help his team further on down the road.

jumbo
01-11-2016, 07:33 PM
I have never heard of a football player redshirting at a Junior College. I think it is because they can't. But if they can, under certain circumstances, why would a JUCO coach want this? The player would be at his school for one year and redshirts. What benefit would the player be to the team or the coach? Now if a player redshirts at a 4 year school, then he gets another year of eligibility with the potential to help his team further on down the road.

Donald Gray RS at CoLin

Coach34
01-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Donald Gray RS at CoLin

that was due to injury

chainedup_Dawg
01-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Didn't his coach he signed to play for gone. Or does that just work for signees being eligible?

This, i thought if your coach got fired tou could transfer and not have to sit given the school released you??

BiscuitEater
01-11-2016, 07:41 PM

Several Players have left JC with 3 to play 3. Majority have had qualifying grades to attend Div 1 and choose to go to JC and play for one year and have other options. Johnathan Abrams obviously had the grades to go to Georgia. He could attend a JC for a year which is cheaper than going to State; not play football @ JC and still have 2 to play 2. Happens in Baseball more than football.

Really Clark?
01-11-2016, 07:42 PM
This, i thought if your coach got fired tou could transfer and not have to sit given the school released you??

No. You sign with the school. The only time you see players allowed to transfer like you are thinking is if there are major sanctions or scandals involved with the coaches firing. And that still doesn't always happen. A coach just leaving or getting fired doesn't change the transfer rules.

engie
01-11-2016, 07:46 PM

Only if you never show up... Or in extreme circumstances with the school or coach getting in trouble. Happens a lot in basketball where guys are allowed to sign and then go somewhere else under a coaching change without penalty. It's rare in football.

yjnkdawg
01-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Donald Gray RS at CoLin

Let me rephrase what I said. I have never heard of a player being redshirted at a JUCO to save a year of eliglilty at the 4 year college/university he will be attending. This was what the reference was to.

engie
01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Several Players have left JC with 3 to play 3. Majority have had qualifying grades to attend Div 1 and choose to go to JC and play for one year and have other options. Johnathan Abrams obviously had the grades to go to Georgia. He could attend a JC for a year which is cheaper than going to State; not play football @ JC and still have 2 to play 2. Happens in Baseball more than football.

Why would a borderline elite football player that's obviously much better than his rating out of high school that played a lot at UGA go pay his own way and not play football in juco while burning thru his clock anyway?

Dawg61
01-11-2016, 08:26 PM
SEC ready starters that are transfers!! I like these a lot!!