PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Shoe Store

Uncle Ruckus
01-11-2016, 04:31 PM
looking for somewhere to tell me exactly what I need for running here on the coast. I have a crazy high arch where boots are the only thing that are comfortable for me and my wife destroyed her knee playing ball in college, so we are both wanting to go somewhere where people know what they're talking about and we can find something specifically for us. Looking for coastal area stores.

BeastMan
01-11-2016, 05:36 PM
I know this is the Jackson metro but stinky feet has that new balance deal you stand in and it measures the custom shoes. Surely there is one of those on the coast.

engie
01-11-2016, 11:03 PM
You need to have a gait analysis done. Any specialty shoe store should be able to do that.

BeastMan
01-12-2016, 12:29 AM
You need to have a gait analysis done. Any specialty shoe store should be able to do that.

That sounds like the technical name for what I was trying to explain.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
In Jackson again but Sand Dollar Lifestyles at the Renaissance has a gait analysis. It was really interesting to have done and it has helped me tremendously.

engie
01-12-2016, 04:08 PM
That sounds like the technical name for what I was trying to explain.

Yeah -- there are alot of complex nuances involved as you get really into running after a long layoff. I didn't do jack for almost a decade and got back going last year. Stuff that didn't matter in my 20s was almost debilitating in my 30s -- and a lot of it was me thinking on the front end that any running shoes would be fine since I was just getting back into it and wouldn't be going too hard yet. The importance of the right shoes from day 1 can not be overstated. Or you'll do like me and find yourself on the DL every time you are a month or two in and really getting your lungs back -- and be starting over 2 weeks later.

Another thing -- I get shin splints bad. I overtrain I'm sure -- but I just can't help it. It's annoying as heck to go hard, eat right, and sleep right for a month plus at a time and still be 15-20% off my high school pace. Compression socks go an incredible distance toward helping with those. But I still have to alternate between heel striking and toe striking to get by.