PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Slot Receivers...

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:22 AM
So everyone knows we have some talent in the slot, especially with my Dawg Fred Ross coming back. But when you look at our depth chart, it seems to be extremely Slot-heavy. For anyone wondering why we're offering so many elite outside WR's this year, one glance at our roster should clear it up...We are a few solid outside WR's from being loaded at WR again for the next 4 years.

But back to my point, the slot. Everyone knows that Ross & Dear are playmakers at slot, and all talk of Dear being a RB at some point is simply talk & I doubt it happens. We also know that when healthy, Gabe Myles has shown decent playmaking ability. I've heard tremendous things about Mixon, Spivey, & Deddrick Thomas as well. I think maybe Spivey or Thomas (can't remember which) is being projected as a smaller outside guy now, but I may be mistaken.

So how are we going to get all of this talent involved over the next few years if they're all slot guys? This is a great problem to have, but I want these playmakers out there making plays. Most of the guys beyond Ross, are 6 feet tall and shorter, but so is Gray and he's looking like a great outside guy. So how do you see this slot battle shaping up over the next few years? You gotta believe Ross, Dear, & Myles are going to be the guys in 2016, but what about beyond? Thoughts?

Ross
Myles
Dear
Mixon
Thomas
Spivey

And...if we find a more "every down" RB in Aeris, Lee, or Gibson this year....How do you see Holloway being used? Or are we going to have to suffer through another year of Holloway as the primary RB since he's "earned it"? Because I could see him factor into the pass catching game even more after the year he had in 2015. I don't see him as a "Slot" guy, but a similar role as a pass catching RB is almost the same as we use Dear. I'm just interested to see who emerges, and who everyone expects to emerge.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Spivey & Thomas both practiced at outside WR last year. Thomas got some plays in the slot but was mainly outside. As far as RB I don't want Holloway's touches to change. He avg like 6 carries & 3 receptions a game. That's a good #. It's not like he was avg 15 carries.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Holloway - He'll start next year, but I don't see anyway that Mullen & Hev go into the season thinking he is the every down back. He's earned a role though. 3rd down back

Slot - Ross & Dear are the two best players with Myles being right behind. Mixon & Thomas need to start on kick off return & work their way into the rotation. I look for lots of empty sets next year with Dear motioning into the backfield. Whether Dear is a WR or RB, he needs 15-20 touches per game for our offense to be maximized.

In the Spring, I'm just as interested to watch our running back battle as I am our QB battle. However, I thought D Lee had won the RB battle last Spring, only to not play this Fall. The main thing for me though, is that Malik Dear is the best "ball carrier" on the team & MUST touch the ball 15-20 times per game. I don't care what position he plays, just get him the damn ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Holloway - He'll start next year, but I don't see anyway that Mullen & Hev go into the season thinking he is the every down back. He's earned a role though. 3rd down back

Slot - Ross & Dear are the two best players with Myles being right behind. Mixon & Thomas need to start on kick off return & work their way into the rotation. I look for lots of empty sets next year with Dear motioning into the backfield. Whether Dear is a WR or RB, he needs 15-20 touches per game for our offense to be maximized.

In the Spring, I'm just as interested to watch our running back battle as I am our QB battle. However, I thought D Lee had won the RB battle last Spring, only to not play this Fall. The main thing for me though, is that Malik Dear is the best "ball carrier" on the team & MUST touch the ball 15-20 times per game. I don't care what position he plays, just get him the damn ball.

I don't see Dear playing RB at all. He will continue to get those jet sweeps & may get involved more in the option game with a new QB but he'll still be in the slot. You'll see a slimmer Dear next year like 10-15lbs lighter & he will double maybe triple the touches he had this year. What has happened is we've gotten an influx of playmakers so everybody needs more touches. Ross, Gray, AJ*, Dear, Holloway, Brown, Myles, RB's. We have guys who can make big plays so when they go a game or 2 without many touches we hear rumblings of this guy needing 10 touches a game or that guy needing 10 touches a game. It's a great position to be in.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Spivey & Thomas both practiced at outside WR last year. Thomas got some plays in the slot but was mainly outside. As far as RB I don't want Holloway's touches to change. He avg like 6 carries & 3 receptions a game. That's a good #. It's not like he was avg 15 carries.

How did Spivey & Thomas look outside? Will their size be an issue in your opinion?

And as for Holloway...I think his touches were that low because our OL & run game was so poor. Plus we had Dak running a lot. My concern is, if our line is improved, I don't Holloway being the guy standing next to Fitz on 85% of the snaps next year. He is not the answer at RB in terms of a legit SEC run game, wouldn't you agree? So 2-3 catches a game & 2-3 carries I'd be ok with...but I don't want him getting the "every down" carries. I want a real RB that can break a tackle or pick up a tough yard without having to beat his man to edge....a guy that we can hand the ball to against Bama, LSU, OM, etc. Holloway plays hard, but he's not a primary RB, so I don't want us trying to make him one again next year. That's all I'm saying.

In other words, if our line was better this year, Holloway would have gotten way more carries. It wasn't just because we only wanted to run him 5-6 times a game IMO. So I'm worried that Mullen will just increase his role as a ball carrier if our OL is better like we think it will be.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:40 AM
How did Spivey & Thomas look outside? Will their size be an issue in your opinion?

And as for Holloway...I think his touches were that low because our OL & run game was so poor. Plus we had Dak running a lot. My concern is, if our line is improved, I don't Holloway being the guy standing next to Fitz on 85% of the snaps next year. He is not the answer at RB in terms of a legit SEC run game, wouldn't you agree? So 2-3 catches a game & 2-3 carries I'd be ok with...but I don't want him getting the "every down" carries. I want a real RB that can break a tackle or pick up a tough yard without having to beat his man to edge....a guy that we can hand the ball to against Bama, LSU, OM, etc. Holloway plays hard, but he's not a primary RB, so I don't want us trying to make him one again next year. That's all I'm saying.

In other words, if our line was better this year, Holloway would have gotten way more carries. It wasn't just because we only wanted to run him 5-6 times a game IMO. So I'm worried that Mullen will just increase his role as a ball carrier if our OL is better like we think it will be.

In most years Thomas would've played last year we were lucky to RS him. Spivey is the same size as Fred Brown so he has the size to play outside. I agree I don't think Holloway is the mail carrier but I love the role he's developed & excelled at. I think next year Aeris is the bellcow at RB.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I don't see Dear playing RB at all. He will continue to get those jet sweeps & may get involved more in the option game with a new QB but he'll still be in the slot. You'll see a slimmer Dear next year like 10-15lbs lighter & he will double maybe triple the touches he had this year. What has happened is we've gotten an influx of playmakers so everybody needs more touches. Ross, Gray, AJ*, Dear, Holloway, Brown, Myles, RB's. We have guys who can make big plays so when they go a game or 2 without many touches we hear rumblings of this guy needing 10 touches a game or that guy needing 10 touches a game. It's a great position to be in.

Dear needs 15-20 touches per game, however we can get them to him.

How did Stanford use McCaffrey? I know he is a RB, but they get him the ball. Look at how Kiffin used Cooper. Cooper & Dear are different players, but the point remains, get that guy the ball.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:41 AM

I agree. Which is why Holloway needs to have less carries. We have too many playmakers now to be wasting 6 handoffs per game to Holloway. I'm fine with him catching passes, but he's not a RB. I'd rather throw 6 more slip screens to Gray/Ross/Dear per game than give Holloway 6 carries. Run him against South Alabama & Samfird some if we want, but I want a true RB getting the handoff against SEC teams. Holloway is just too small to be a threat between the tackles.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
I agree. Which is why Holloway needs to have less carries. We have too many playmakers now to be wasting 6 handoffs per game to Holloway. I'm fine with him catching passes, but he's not a RB. I'd rather throw 6 more slip screens to Gray/Ross/Dear per game than give Holloway 6 carries. Run him against South Alabama & Samfird some if we want, but I want a true RB getting the handoff against SEC teams. Holloway is just too small to be a threat between the tackles.

Only problem with that is you have to run him some because if not then everybody & their mama knows if he's in the game a pass is coming. Him getting 1 handoff a quarter isn't ruining our offense.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:45 AM
In most years Thomas would've played last year we were lucky to RS him. Spivey is the same size as Fred Brown so he has the size to play outside. I agree I don't think Holloway is the mail carrier but I love the role he's developed & excelled at. I think next year Aeris is the bellcow at RB.

Great to hear about Thomas. So you think he has the potential to be a big time SEC player?

I agree about Aeris....but I'm gun shy after my face plant on the Shumpert situation prior to 2015, ha. Aeris is a much better all around back than Shumpert though, so I think he'll take it.

Speaking of Shump....how do you see him fitting in next year? Will he be culturing carries from better inexperienced guys next year? Or will we find him a FB role or something?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Dear needs 15-20 touches per game, however we can get them to him.

How did Stanford use McCaffrey? I know he is a RB, but they get him the ball. Look at how Kiffin used Cooper. Cooper & Dear are different players, but the point remains, get that guy the ball.

I think 15-20 touches is a little ambitious. Percy Harvin as great as he was never avg 15 touches a game at Florida. If you can get him 8-12 touches you've done well.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Great to hear about Thomas. So you think he has the potential to be a big time SEC player?

I agree about Aeris....but I'm gun shy after my face plant on the Shumpert situation prior to 2015, ha. Aeris is a much better all around back than Shumpert though, so I think he'll take it.

Speaking of Shump....how do you see him fitting in next year? Will he be culturing carries from better inexperienced guys next year? Or will we find him a FB role or something?

Yea I think Thomas will help. I don't know if it will be this year as a RS Freshman but he will be a player before he's done. I think we see happen to Shump what's happened to Deonte Evans. Passed up by more talented younger guys until he's a good special teams player but can be used in a pinch if we need to.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Only problem with that is you have to run him some because if not then everybody & their mama knows if he's in the game a pass is coming. Him getting 1 handoff a quarter isn't ruining our offense.

True. Which is why Id rather him not play unless it's against the OOC teams, or when we're leading big, or in obvious passing situations, ha. I love his effort, but we are playing big time collegiate football here...so I guess I'm more about putting feelings aside and playing the best player. If the only way Holloway's 3 catches per game are successful is if we have to suffer through 6 carries with him getting stuffed per game....no thanks. I'd rather Aeris or Dear get those carries and catches. I just feel like maximizing our offense should be the goal, and if u have to waste 6 plays to make a guy effective for 3 plays, you've got the wrong guy in the game. Holloway is decent, but his receiving skills aren't worth 6 wasted carries per game IMO.

And I know BH had some good runs too...but for every good run, he had several bad ones it seemed (not his fault he's small). And having him back there vs teams like Bama, OM, etc was totally ineffective, bc that's exactly what they wanted. We were essentially one-dimensional before the game ever started in most SEC games, & having a tiny back didn't help matters.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I think 15-20 touches is a little ambitious. Percy Harvin as great as he was never avg 15 touches a game at Florida. If you can get him 8-12 touches you've done well.

Yea, Shotgun's getting a little carried away with the 15-20 talk. Dear isn't Derrick Henry...but 6-8 touches per game in 2016 sounds good. I don't like putting a # on touches though...if he's effective feed him.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 10:55 AM

Different body types though. Dear has a much more durable build than Harvin & can better take a pounding.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Yea, Shotgun's getting a little carried away with the 15-20 talk. Dear isn't Derrick Henry...but 6-8 touches per game in 2016 sounds good. I don't like putting a # on touches though...if he's effective feed him.

6-8 touches is under utilizing him IMO. 15-20 may be too much, but 6-8 isn't enough.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Different body types though. Dear has a much more durable build than Harvin & can better take a pounding.

You will also see a slimmer Dear next year. I expect him to be down in the 200-205lbs range next year.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 11:03 AM
I stand corrected....

In 2014 Amari Cooper averaged 9 touches per game & in 2008 Harvin averaged 9 touches per game for Florida. So, maybe 9 or 10 touches is about the maximum amount of touches you can give a non-running back

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Yea I think Thomas will help. I don't know if it will be this year as a RS Freshman but he will be a player before he's done. I think we see happen to Shump what's happened to Deonte Evans. Passed up by more talented younger guys until he's a good special teams player but can be used in a pinch if we need to.

Hope you're right. Shump is a good ST player for sure

CadaverDawg
01-11-2016, 11:13 AM
You will also see a slimmer Dear next year. I expect him to be down in the 200-205lbs range next year.

He looked slimmer to me in the bowl game. Looked like he had lost 5-10 pounds. He will be electric at a little bit lighter weight. He already has a sneaky quickness & tacklers slide off of him. I'm anxious to see his role increase.

What about Myles? I know we have certain people that just live Gabe, & I think he's a good dude & a solid player...but are people overestimating his playmaker status just a bit? Not saying that as a knock...I just think Bo Bounds and others in our fan base seem to be expecting a ton out of Gabe, but I think we'll keep seeing more of the same from him....very good & consistent player, but not an "elite" playmaker. In other words, I see Dear as a level above Myles in terms of ceiling, potential, & overall playmaking ability. Am I underestimating Gabe? (I know the injury bug got him this year, so maybe I am)

Rayburn8
01-11-2016, 11:20 AM
I think yall are selling Holloway short. He looked good. He should be the 3rd down back. He showed an ability to hit the hole and get 3-4 yards if we need it. So I think it would be good for the offense if he gets like 4-5 handoffs and 3 catches a game. Just saying Holloway did not look that bad last year especially considering how bad the Oline was.

Now I want Williams to be the every down guy. I think he should be but he has to take a break at some point and I think Holloway is the best option as a change of pace guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2016, 11:37 AM
He looked slimmer to me in the bowl game. Looked like he had lost 5-10 pounds. He will be electric at a little bit lighter weight. He already has a sneaky quickness & tacklers slide off of him. I'm anxious to see his role increase.

What about Myles? I know we have certain people that just live Gabe, & I think he's a good dude & a solid player...but are people overestimating his playmaker status just a bit? Not saying that as a knock...I just think Bo Bounds and others in our fan base seem to be expecting a ton out of Gabe, but I think we'll keep seeing more of the same from him....very good & consistent player, but not an "elite" playmaker. In other words, I see Dear as a level above Myles in terms of ceiling, potential, & overall playmaking ability. Am I underestimating Gabe? (I know the injury bug got him this year, so maybe I am)

I hate Gabe got hurt because it look like he was just finding his place in the offense & had back to back games where he had 2 long TD's down the middle of the field. I agree that Dear has more God given ability but I think there is definitely a place for Gabe in the offense. I don't know if he will ever be the guy in the slot but he's a valuable piece of the offense because he's quicker than Dear & Ross so that helps on those deep post & option routes down the seem.

Irondawg
01-11-2016, 11:53 AM
It's going to take a lot of convincing for me to come around to the idea that Dear isn't our best all around running back option. He could motion out wide a ton like Texas did with Eric Metcalf. He should be a 7-10 carry, 3-6 catch/target type guy for us in my opinion. Just looking at our talent and based in very limited watching experience with them, here's how I'd see is shaking out over the next couple of years.

We do have an abundance of playmakers now though and that's nice to have. Gray, Dear, Ross, Thomas, Holloway, Myles, Mixon, AJ (hopefully) are all guys who can make an explosive big play from the WR or 3rd down back position.

War Machine Dawg
01-11-2016, 12:40 PM

In SEC play & the Belk Bowl, here were Holloway's rush attempts:

LSU - 5
Auburn - 5
aTm - 5
UK - 6
Mizzou - 6
Bama - 7
UPig - 14
Northern Miss - 10
NC State - 13

His most rushing yards were against UPig when he had 63. His actual average number of rushes per game is 7.89. About 2-3 too many, but not as many as it seemed like he got. The problem was how much his role expanded at the end of the season. Instead of coming in as a decoy or to get his touches, he was on the field almost every down. That's the crux of the issue, especially after Mullen gave his usual bullshit excuse about "pass blocking" being why Aeris and/or Lee couldn't play more when we all had to watch Holloway throw more lookout blocks than any RB in MSU history.