PDA

View Full Version : With all of the talk about having an elite o line

BB30
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Got to thinking (scary I know). Our O line was terrible this year obviously everyone can agree on that and something needs to change. But, outside of this year we have had what I would consider an average SEC offensive line, not great/not terrible. How many teams in the SEC would yall consider having an elite offensive line. Alabama and LSU seem to always have a great offensive line and I would throw Arkansas in there over the last couple of years. Other than those three and maybe Georgia(although they haven't won like expected) who else has an elite o line? I wouldn't consider OM line to be elite nor auburn. A and M has had some solid players on the line but not what I would consider elite this year. Vandy and Ky have been terrible. UF has been average at best. SC pretty terrible. So what will it take to have one of these "elite" lines.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Got to thinking (scary I know). Our O line was terrible this year obviously everyone can agree on that and something needs to change. But, outside of this year we have had what I would consider an average SEC offensive line, not great/not terrible. How many teams in the SEC would yall consider having an elite offensive line. Alabama and LSU seem to always have a great offensive line and I would throw Arkansas in there over the last couple of years. Other than those three and maybe Georgia(although they haven't won like expected) who else has an elite o line? I wouldn't consider OM line to be elite nor auburn. A and M has had some solid players on the line but not what I would consider elite this year. Vandy and Ky have been terrible. UF has been average at best. SC pretty terrible. So what will it take to have one of these "elite" lines.

Alabama
LSU
I thought Ole Miss' OL was elite once Tunsil settled back in
A&M's for Sumlin's first two years
Arkansas has an above average OL, but our DL played extremely well against them this year. So, they confuse me a little.
Not sure about Georgia

Building a good OL is maybe the hardest thing to do in football. I think Hev has done a pretty good job over 7 years. This year sucked, but it's an outliar on a pretty good track record. My biggest complaint with Hev is the lack of talent he brings in.

thf24
01-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Building a good OL is maybe the hardest thing to do in football. I think Hev has done a pretty good job over 7 years. This year sucked, but it's an outliar on a pretty good track record. My biggest complaint with Hev is the lack of talent he brings in.

Hev's lines (except this year) have been able to get the job done when things are mostly going our way and the opposing D is playing into what we want to see. What we've been consistently deficient at is responding to key situations forced on us, usually picking up 2-3 tough, crucial yards against SEC fronts. That's absolutely where the talent gap shows.