PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Draft..

mic
01-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Was told this from a scout of a AFC east division team..

Really likes Dak.. Said he will be 3rd rounder or so.. Could be a Russell Wilson type QB..

Likes Redmond a lot.. Pro ready. Probably won't go round one because of the injury. But first round talent

Likes Calhoun.. Said he will go later rounds .. Loved his size

Said Jones was an animal with lot of dog in him.. Which makes me question Turner more than I already did.. Wouldn't be surprised if he went first couple of picks in the 2nd. And if he is still available after round 2 would be very surprised.. Said combine could help him move up even more .. Which I thought was strange.

Loved Bear size , said very raw didn't have best speed and said combine probably wont help him move up .. Around 4th round

Forget to ask about Bennie.. Wil try and see about that...

And I didn't ask about any of the OM guys.. I don't give a shit...

Pretty cool to get a real NFL scout prospective on our guys..

defiantdog
01-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Was told this from a scout of a AFC east division team..

Really likes Dak.. Said he will be 3rd rounder or so.. Could be a Russell Wilson type QB..

Likes Redmond a lot.. Pro ready. Probably won't go round one because of the injury. But first round talent

Likes Calhoun.. Said he will go later rounds .. Loved his size

Said Jones was an animal with lot of dog in him.. Which makes me question Turner more than I already did.. Wouldn't be surprised if he went first couple of picks in the 2nd. And if he is still available after round 2 would be very surprised.. Said combine could help him move up even more .. Which I thought was strange.

Loved Bear size , said very raw didn't have best speed and said combine probably wont help him move up .. Around 4th round

Forget to ask about Bennie.. Wil try and see about that...

And I didn't ask about any of the OM guys.. I don't give a shit...

Pretty cool to get a real NFL scout prospective on our guys..

It's nice seeing a post about State without OM sprinkled on top. Thanks for the post.

RougeDawg
01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
You heard what most of us had seen from jones, but with training wheels and a baby step approach. I'm happy for the kid but at the same time sickened because our staff put him on the 4-5 year developmental plan instead of letting the kid play, reign free, from day one. IMO our babying and bringing him along slowly was the main reason for some of his timid play. We were so cautious with him and his development that the caution seeped into his mental makeup and changed his thinking. Thus the reason people perceive him "taking plays off". I think it was more indecision created in his mind by our staff.

Either way he came on strong this year. We need to let the ones who are ready to play, play. Develop the guys who need developing. Not have a staff who uses the same approach on all players or a staff that has the inability to decipher which players need which pathway.

smootness
01-09-2016, 02:38 PM
I love Dak, but a comparison to Russell Wilson to me just shows the issues with current NFL scouting.

Love the info, though. Thanks for sharing.

Really Clark?
01-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Rouge I don't know where you get that. As a true freshman he played the second series of his first game against Ok State. He played a lot as a freshman. I remember in the EB that year he was waving to come out late in the game and the coaches MADE him stay on the field. Came up with a big play right after that.

mic
01-09-2016, 05:12 PM
I love Dak, but a comparison to Russell Wilson to me just shows the issues with current NFL scouting.

I love the Russell Wilson comparison..

War Machine Dawg
01-09-2016, 05:47 PM

No kidding. I definitely see the comparisons. Both are mobile, good but not great arms, a little on the short side, football IQ and leadership off the charts. The only real difference is the schemes they played in college. If Dak goes to the right place, that's not a big issue. At the very least, I think Dak can bee a career backup. Not a lot of good ones floating around right now.

mic
01-09-2016, 05:55 PM
If Dak was the QB for the Texans today they wouldn't be down 13-0 ....

War Machine Dawg
01-09-2016, 06:04 PM
If Dak was the QB for the Texans today they wouldn't be down 13-0 ....

I'd give a nut for the Texans to draft Dak. Unfortunately, I don't think he's the type of QB that Bill O'Brien wants. Plus Tom Savage still hasn't gotten a shot at starting. It'll be an interesting draft year for Houston.

smootness
01-09-2016, 06:20 PM

They're only similar if you see 'shorter than average and runner'. But beyond that, they are different runners. Dak is more of a guy you design runs for who uses his strength to get tough yards. Wilson is a guy who extends plays with his legs and is at his best when scrambling.

And they're really nothing alike as passers. Wilson is much better and more natural here. Stronger arm, more accurate, and he's elite in reading defenses.

Russell Wilson basically has every trait you want in a QB save for height. I love Dak, but he isn't Russell Wilson.

I've seen comparisons to McNair, and I think those comparisons are far better.

War Machine Dawg
01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
They're only similar if you see 'shorter than average and runner'. But beyond that, they are different runners. Dak is more of a guy you design runs for who uses his strength to get tough yards. Wilson is a guy who extends plays with his legs and is at his best when scrambling.

And they're really nothing alike as passers. Wilson is much better and more natural here. Stronger arm, more accurate, and he's elite in reading defenses.

Russell Wilson basically has every trait you want in a QB save for height. I love Dak, but he isn't Russell Wilson.

So what you're saying is either way Dak is being compared to elite NFL QBs, including one who was a co-MVP. Way to nitpick.

mic
01-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Well a NFL scout disagrees with you...

smootness
01-09-2016, 06:31 PM
So what you're saying is either way Dak is being compared to elite NFL QBs, including one who was a co-MVP. Way to nitpick.

1. We're talking about style of play, not whether or not he will succeed in the NFL. I'm just saying that McNair is a much better comparison in terms of style than Wilson.

2. I love Dak and hope he tears up the NFL. But comparing him to Russell Wilson, as an actual NFL scout, is lazy.

3. My initial point wasn't to vehemently disagree. I'm just saying that it's an issue with NFL scouting. They try to fit guys into a box or compare players to guys who are currently playing. We hear about trying to find the next Michael Vick, the next Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, etc. and it's lazy and ineffective. I wouldn't even use a Dak-to-McNair comparison in any kind of actual scouting, either; I just used that as an example of a comparison that's actually much better if you're trying to find one.

smootness
01-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Well a NFL scout disagrees with you...

I realize that...thus my original point.

I'm guessing this NFL scout didn't think Russell Wilson would succeed in the NFL when he was drafted.

mic
01-09-2016, 06:37 PM
1. We're talking about style of play, not whether or not he will succeed in the NFL. I'm just saying that McNair is a much better comparison in terms of style than Wilson.

2. I love Dak and hope he tears up the NFL. But comparing him to Russell Wilson, as an actual NFL scout, is lazy.

3. My initial point wasn't to vehemently disagree. I'm just saying that it's an issue with NFL scouting. They try to fit guys into a box or compare players to guys who are currently playing. We hear about trying to find the next Michael Vick, the next Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, etc. and it's lazy and ineffective. I wouldn't even use a Dak-to-McNair comparison in any kind of actual scouting; I just used that as an example of a comparison that's actually much better if you're trying to find one.

I didn't break down with him why he compared Dak to RW... But it's not just because they are the same height I know that..
And all the NFL SCOUT said is he could be a Rusell Wilson type QB.. And I can see that just in the eye test comparison and I'm sure they have broken down much more than just that..

mic
01-09-2016, 06:43 PM
I realize that...thus my original point.

I'm guessing this NFL scout didn't think Russell Wilson would succeed in the NFL when he was drafted.

Holy shit... And yeah everyone got Brady right too..
I should have known better than bring a thread to the board with insight from a NFL scout..

msbulldog
01-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Holy shit... And yeah everyone got Brady right too..
I should have known better than bring a thread to the board with insight from a NFL scout..

Your information is appreciated.

dawgpound
01-11-2016, 03:07 PM
I don't see the comparison to Russell Wilson either. I think of Dak as a Tebow type with a better arm and throwing mechanics. That is what kept Tebow from having an NFL career and I think Dak has it.

bulldawg28
01-11-2016, 03:13 PM
I see Steve McNair with they're Dak almost a clone of each other. Russell Wilson is way faster than Dak.

Political Hack
01-11-2016, 05:09 PM

It's a great comparison considering what Dak did his Sr season. Last year it would've been wustionable.

Political Hack
01-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Questionable***

mic
01-11-2016, 05:15 PM
I see Steve McNair with they're Dak almost a clone of each other. Russell Wilson is way faster than Dak.

Way faster..? Unless Dak runs a 4.8 or 4.9 not that much difference.
RW ran a 4.55 .. I'm guess Dak is 4.65 or so

And with McNair.. Dak has good arm strength..
But McNair could throw it about 80 yards...

Really Clark?
01-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Way faster..? Unless Dak runs a 4.8 or 4.9 not that much difference.
RW ran a 4.55 .. I'm guess Dak is 4.65 or so

And with McNair.. Dak has good arm strength..
But McNair could throw it about 80 yards...

That's close. 75 yards 2 feet 5 3/8 inches.***

Saw McNair throw from his knees at the goal line over half the field in the air. With good zip as well. Summer before his senior year in high school. That's a true story.

smootness
01-11-2016, 05:42 PM
It's a great comparison considering what Dak did his Sr season. Last year it would've been wustionable.

If you're just comparing numbers, maybe.

mic
01-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Well I'm glad we have NFL scouts on our board...

smootness
01-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Well I'm glad we have NFL scouts on our board...

Are differing opinions not allowed?