PDA

View Full Version : I've heard Steve and others call this recruiting class....

HoopsDawg
01-08-2016, 03:40 PM
a bridge class. We had an excellent signing class last year. Things look very good for 2017 especially with our QB already committed.

This class comes down to 5 guys:

1. AJ Brown
2. Jeff Simmons
3. Scott Lashley
4. Kobe Jones
5. Nigel Knott

That's 5 key players at 5 different positions. Judge this class on how we do with those 5 guys.

confucius say
01-08-2016, 03:42 PM
3/5

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 03:43 PM
a bridge class. We had an excellent signing class last year. Things look very good for 2017 especially with our QB already committed.

1. AJ Brown
2. Jeff Simmons
3. Scott Lashley
4. Kobe Jones
5. Nigel Knott

That's 5 key players at 5 different positions. Judge this class on how we do with those 5 guys.

Can't argue with that at all but we need to add the Lloyd Cushenberry, Jamal Couch, Zach Farrar, & Cecil Stallings to those guys to provide depth in this class.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 03:44 PM
3/5

I say 4/5 minimum

confucius say
01-08-2016, 03:47 PM
I say 4/5 minimum

Things are looking up on knott or Simmons unh?

Dawgology
01-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Supposedly AJ Brown and Lashley may not even be taking an official visit to State now... Super recruiting!!! Right out of our back yard....damn...

Irondawg
01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
It's the same thing ad naseum but you shouldn't have a "bridge" class when you spent half the previous season at #1.

I'm not saying we should be going into other parts of the country and stealing top 25 players like our neighbors but we should have been able to get some big time prospects from nearby states to at least answer the phone and visit, particularly some OL/DL where we can sell immediate playing time.

Instead we are down to the in-state guys making or breaking the class ranking and when i did some research a month or so back, the hit rate on 4/5 star guys from Mississippi is not that high.

preachermatt83
01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
3 should be a given... Lashley and the two starkville kids. We better get those three then we can get one of the other 2 and I'm happy. So better be 4/5

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2016, 03:53 PM
I don't understand why it would be necessary to offical If you live right there and you already know your going there....Why not take officials to other schools and get the royal treatment.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Supposedly AJ Brown and Lashley may not even be taking an official visit to State now... Super recruiting!!! Right out of our back yard....damn...

They both will.

Thedaythehumpstoodstill
01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
I think Aj's issue is he just wants to actually leave the state of Mississippi. I don't think there's any chance in hell he goes to OM. That would create too much bad blood for everyone involved. So the question I have is how much does bama want Brown? Is this one of those scenarios where they actually have hopes that he turns into a major playmaker for them or do they just want him so they can develop him for a few years and keep him from having an immediate impact for either us or OM? This kid just seems to be wayyyyyy too good to not be on the playing field immediately.

confucius say
01-08-2016, 03:57 PM

Let them enjoy the process. We good.

Dawgology
01-08-2016, 03:58 PM
They both will.

Good to hear that, Dan! I feel better now.

Really Clark?
01-08-2016, 04:00 PM
I think Aj's issue is he just wants to actually leave the state of Mississippi. I don't think there's any chance in hell he goes to OM. That would create too much bad blood for everyone involved. So the question I have is how much does bama want Brown? Is this one of those scenarios where they actually have hopes that he turns into a major playmaker for them or do they just want him so they can develop him for a few years and keep him from having an immediate impact for either us or OM? This kid just seems to be wayyyyyy too good to not be on the playing field immediately.

You are thinking of another recruit. AJ didn't get into the recruiting until after the season. He just wants to enjoy the process I believe.

Thedaythehumpstoodstill
01-08-2016, 04:07 PM
I hope so. So this is probably just a case of him already being familiar with the campus and everything that the program offers so he's not taking an official because he wants to be catered to by other programs? Hopefully Freeze doesn't have his cell #

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 04:07 PM
AJ, Lashley, Jones and even Simmons have been to campus more this year than the majority of this board. I was at the bowl practices this year and saw AJ and Jones cutting up with the team.

Knott wants to leave the state, but his family wants him close. Alabama is close, so it's kind of common ground for them.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Knott wants to leave the state, but his family wants him close. Alabama is close, so it's kind of common ground for them.

That thought process could be slowly changing.

Thedaythehumpstoodstill
01-08-2016, 04:10 PM
AJ, Lashley, Jones and even Simmons have been to campus more this year than the majority of this board. I was at the bowl practices this year and saw AJ and Jones cutting up with the team.

So is it assumed that Knott is going to sign with the gumps now? He has to know that he's going to ride the bench for a few years if he takes that route. You would think Smart leaving would help swing the favor towards us.

Tripp McNeely
01-08-2016, 04:16 PM

...or has Bama begun to slow play?

deltadawg99
01-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Don't forget about 5* DT Derrick Brown from Georgia.

Parents went to state and still has family in Mississippi. T Buck was also his primary recruiter at Louisville so that gives us another tie in.

Long shot but still a shot.

Blackout
01-08-2016, 04:21 PM
3/5 for those 5 would be considered a failure. Anything less and its tar and feather time.

djaymsu5
01-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Kind of off topic but I have a question on Morgan-Walker. I'm pretty excited about this kid I think he will be a baller does he get a shot at safety or corner you think?

Really Clark?
01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
3/5 for those 5 would be considered a failure. Anything less and its tar and feather time.

There is the ray of sunshine pumping we know and love. Glad you are trying to calm the natives down with your optimism.

maroonmania
01-08-2016, 04:31 PM

If he leaves the "State of Mississippi" to go 80 miles down the road at Alabama it will be because he wants to play for Saban and have a better shot at a NC. I mean don't tell me you want to leave the State just so you can go 50 miles across the line to Tuscaloosa. If he has some beef with MS then AL is pretty much the exact same. He needs to go off to Ohio St. or Oklahoma or somewhere if that is really some sort of issue with him. Hopefully that's all just talk because he doesn't want folks automatically thinking he's locked in with MSU. We need him badly. I won't feel much if any better about him playing against us at Bama than I would OM.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 04:37 PM

OM is not even a factor for AJ. It's Bama. And yes- the kid is fighting simply wanting to get out of Sville. Hopefully we win out

Coach34
01-08-2016, 04:47 PM
If he leaves the "State of Mississippi" to go 80 miles down the road at Alabama it will be because he wants to play for Saban and have a better shot at a NC. I mean don't tell me you want to leave the State just so you can go 50 miles across the line to Tuscaloosa. If he has some beef with MS then AL is pretty much the exact same. He needs to go off to Ohio St. or Oklahoma or somewhere if that is really some sort of issue with him. Hopefully that's all just talk because he doesn't want folks automatically thinking he's locked in with MSU. We need him badly. I won't feel much if any better about him playing against us at Bama than I would OM.

thats not really true. Big difference in living in another town other than your own

webbcorban4msu
01-08-2016, 04:57 PM
1. AJ Brown - Bama
2. Jeff Simmons - NM
3. Scott Lashley - State
4. Kobe Jones - State
5. Nigel Knott - Bama

Just my guess which isn't worth much.

maroonmania
01-08-2016, 04:58 PM
thats not really true. Big difference in living in another town other than your own

Well its a little more understandable if its just a case that he does want to go to college in his hometown but it should just be stated that way, not that he wants out of the State. Of course our luck is always that its the prospect that comes along once every couple of decades in Starkville that is the one who feels he's got to get away somewhere. Brown is probably the best college prospect to come out of Starkville since David Fair.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2016, 05:47 PM
...or has Bama begun to slow play?

If you're Knott:

1. Your sister goes to MSU
2. You get to play for 2 NFL corners in Tbuck and Deshea
3. MSU lost starting 2 corners
4. Bama is slow playing him plus they have elite freshman corners on roster

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Bama is slow-playing the hell out of Knott. At some point he needs to wake up and get on board

HoopsDawg
01-08-2016, 05:50 PM
1. AJ Brown - Bama
2. Jeff Simmons - NM
3. Scott Lashley - State
4. Kobe Jones - State
5. Nigel Knott - Bama

Just my guess which isn't worth much.

Meltdown Central if that happens. Honestly, there's no excuse not to sign all 5 and we would be on our way to building a roster that can compete for the West with a strong 2017.

djaymsu5
01-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Ole Miss seems to think Rashun Gary has them as his leader and favorite right now. If that is the case does Ole Miss get him and Simmons? I'm not saying Gary picks them but after what we saw a few years ago and what we are seeing now there is no telling.

CadaverDawg
01-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Meltdown Central if that happens. Honestly, there's no excuse not to sign all 5 and we would be on our way to building a roster that can compete for the West with a strong 2017.

Yep, I think we get all 5. And that's really something coming from a negative bastard like me

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 06:05 PM
Bama is slow-playing the hell out of Knott. At some point he needs to wake up and get on board

Knott also lost his position coach at Bama. They'll pick it up if they hire a replacement in time.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Ole Miss seems to think Rashun Gary has them as his leader and favorite right now. If that is the case does Ole Miss get him and Simmons? I'm not saying Gary picks them but after what we saw a few years ago and what we are seeing now there is no telling.

A few things:

1. If Ole Miss gets to signing day without major news breaking on their investigation front, I'll be surprised.

2. Due to the above & due to how they handle recruiting, it will be interesting to see who actually signs with Ole Miss & who is just maximizing their value by showing heavy interest in them.

All in all, we just need to focus on the players that we have a good chance at and stop worrying about Ole Miss does. Along with being our problem, Ole Miss's greed has now made them Alabama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida Tennessee, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc's problem & I sincerely believe they'll be dealt with soon. Again, they could have built their program with their current way of recruiting by slowly acquiring players & gradually moving their way up the ranks. However, they chose to be greedy & wave at the bank camera as they were robbing it. They'll be dealt with soon.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Knott also lost his position coach at Bama. They'll pick it up if they hire a replacement in time.

he's tried to commit to Bama and they wont let him...he is down the board

HancockCountyDog
01-08-2016, 06:20 PM

1. AJ Brown
2. Jeff Simmons
3. Scott Lashley
4. Kobe Jones
5. Nigel Knott

3 is the absolute minimum, 4 should be expected, and we should expect our HC to land all 5.

I think we land 4 of 5.

mic
01-08-2016, 06:36 PM
A few things:

1. If Ole Miss gets to signing day without major news breaking on their investigation front, I'll be surprised.

2. Due to the above & due to how they handle recruiting, it will be interesting to see who actually signs with Ole Miss & who is just maximizing their value by showing heavy interest in them.

All in all, we just need to focus on the players that we have a good chance at and stop worrying about Ole Miss does. Along with being our problem, Ole Miss's greed has now made them Alabama, LSU, A&M, Georgia, Florida Tennessee, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc's problem & I sincerely believe they'll be dealt with soon. Again, they could have built their program with their current way of recruiting by slowly acquiring players & gradually moving their way up the ranks. However, they chose to be greedy & wave at the bank camera as they were robbing it. They'll be dealt with soon.

NO ONE has given a edge to UMiss with Gary outside their beat writers.. Same song different year .. I wouldn't put it past them to give some of these kids $$ just to keep UMiss name hot and get the hat on the table for NSD...

Im still not convinced Little is 100% in the bag...

And if they get them ... Then the praise shouldn't be going to Freeze it goes to the landscape workers and the amazing architectural design there.. It's because of the beautiful campus.. ****ing breathtaking..

Sacrifice
01-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm not gonna be able to handle not getting AJ Brown. I haven't wanted an offensive recruit this bad since Jerious Norwood. We have to sign this kid no matter what. He can step in and play from day one.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 07:16 PM
AJ will be in the starting lineup opening day 2016 against South Alabama.

gravedigger
01-08-2016, 07:17 PM

I see what you buckleyed there

gravedigger
01-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Go cry on some other fanbases shoulder.

Bullybaroo
01-08-2016, 07:20 PM

Anybody and everybody wants Brown. He's a game changer, and we need him perhaps more than anyone on our board. Simmons would be next.

gravedigger
01-08-2016, 07:22 PM
OM is not even a factor for AJ. It's Bama. And yes- the kid is fighting simply wanting to get out of Sville. Hopefully we win out

Well, that isnt entirely true. They are a factor. Maybe not a leader, but a factor.

Bdawg
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Anybody and everybody wants Brown. He's a game changer, and we need him perhaps more than anyone on our board. Simmons would be next.

I believe we need Lashley first, Simmons second, and Brown third. JMO, but I think OL is our priority

Coach34
01-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Well, that isnt entirely true. They are a factor. Maybe not a leader, but a factor.

I call a "factor" a school he would possibly attend- AJ is in no way remotely headed to Oxford. This is strictly a State-Bama battle.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 07:30 PM
I believe we need Lashley first, Simmons second, and Brown third. JMO, but I think OL is our priority

but Lashley wont be a factor until 2017- the other two will play in 2016

Bdawg
01-08-2016, 07:37 PM
2/5= mad as hell
3/5= ok( should be minimum)
4/5= great
5/5= ecstatic

Bdawg
01-08-2016, 07:40 PM
but Lashley wont be a factor until 2017- the other two will play in 2016

From an impact perspective, yes. And very important too. But from a need perspective, I'm going with OL.

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 08:55 PM
he's tried to commit to Bama and they wont let him...he is down the board

They're waiting on Shyheim Carter to make a decision. I've been told first hand that their main focus for 2016 recruiting was to replenish the offensive and defensive line.

I wouldn't be surprised if OM didn't "woo" Carter, then Bama would get Knott.

AlSwearengen
01-08-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm not gonna be able to handle not getting AJ Brown. I haven't wanted an offensive recruit this bad since Jerious Norwood. We have to sign this kid no matter what. He can step in and play from day one.

I get what you are saying, but if Simmons is a difference maker like people say, he and Lashley are the two we can't lose. The line is where you win. Olemiss understands this.

Madisonmd
01-08-2016, 09:00 PM
doubt it

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2016, 09:01 PM
This would help

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabamas-chances-of-flipping-nations-no-1-wide-receiver-are-good

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 09:10 PM
I'm confused why people think Simmons is leaning more towards OM rather than us / bama. If he was leaning towards OM, he would of already made the verbal commitment like they asked him to do. I think it's a battle between us and Bama with him. Same with AJ.

J Paul Ronvonski III
01-08-2016, 10:27 PM
It's the same thing ad naseum but you shouldn't have a "bridge" class when you spent half the previous season at #1.

I'm not saying we should be going into other parts of the country and stealing top 25 players like our neighbors but we should have been able to get some big time prospects from nearby states to at least answer the phone and visit, particularly some OL/DL where we can sell immediate playing time.

Instead we are down to the in-state guys making or breaking the class ranking and when i did some research a month or so back, the hit rate on 4/5 star guys from Mississippi is not that high.

The fanbase and athletic dept. should expect more.

djaymsu5
01-08-2016, 11:52 PM
AJ will be in the starting lineup opening day 2016 against South Alabama.

I like that confidence!

QuadrupleOption
01-09-2016, 08:27 AM

Well Hell, let's just set him up in an apartment in Columbus. Problem solved.

maroonmania
01-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Well Hell, let's just set him up in an apartment in Columbus. Problem solved.

Or he could enroll at the MSU-Meridian campus and commute back for practice and games. :)

Bullybaroo
01-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Lashley is a player of need, no doubt, but he is not a national recruit. Brown, Simmons and Knott are. At some point we have to sign more of these guys for the perception it creates in other top recruits eyes. This is the reason I listed them in the order I did. Also, we don't have to "beat" any other school for Scott, he's coming to Starkville. With the others mentioned there is some doubt. We have to be able to go head to head with Bama or whomever and win the recruiting war on these guys to gain needed cred as a recruiting force.

OSCAR
01-09-2016, 09:37 AM
I think we get all on that list except Simmons. AJs comments worry me, but situations like that tend to work out through the process and the kid goes to the hometown favorite. I'd guess 1 in 10 times they don't.

Bdawg
01-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Lashley is a player of need, no doubt, but he is not a national recruit. Brown, Simmons and Knott are. At some point we have to sign more of these guys for the perception it creates in other top recruits eyes. This is the reason I listed them in the order I did. Also, we don't have to "beat" any other school for Scott, he's coming to Starkville. With the others mentioned there is some doubt. We have to be able to go head to head with Bama or whomever and win the recruiting war on these guys to gain needed cred as a recruiting force.

I agree on the recruiting angle you mention, and we definitely need to win some big battles against the big boys( especially in state kids). But I feel out greatest need(whether he is a lock to us or not) is OL