PDA

View Full Version : Ok. Lamar Peters made TEN 3 pointers tonight in his game.

whosyourdawgy
01-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Whoah

msstate7
01-07-2016, 11:48 PM
"Just what we need... Another punk freshman showing up on campus trying to take my shine. Well I got something for him..." -- IJ Ready**

Coach34
01-07-2016, 11:49 PM
yessssssss-hopefully IJ stays around to steal minutes from him

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2016, 12:10 AM
But how many points did Tookie score against the Citadel?

Dawg61
01-08-2016, 01:29 AM
But how many points did Tookie score against the Citadel?

How many points did Fallou have cause that's who we should of dropped instead of Tookie. Now we get no Tookie and Fallou still quit (which is good).

engie
01-08-2016, 04:16 AM
How many points did Fallou have cause that's who we should of dropped instead of Tookie. Now we get no Tookie and Fallou still quit (which is good).

So you were going to be fine with processing two point guards next year?

I'd explain APR, but it would be a waste of time.

HSVDawg
01-08-2016, 08:51 AM
So you were going to be fine with processing two point guards next year?

I'd explain APR, but it would be a waste of time.

Who is the other PG we are "processing"? Personally, I don't see IJ going anywhere next year since we don't have anyone currently who needs his scholarship. By my count we had room to sign a couple more this year with Fallou and Houston leaving. Malik will take one of those spots if he comes back. Who else are we looking at? I think we easily could have sweated it out another year with IJ to keep from taking the APR hit, and also had room for Tookie who I think we would have hung onto regardless based on his performance thus far. Am I wrong?

Coach34
01-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Who is the other PG we are "processing"? Personally, I don't see IJ going anywhere next year since we don't have anyone currently who needs his scholarship. By my count we had room to sign a couple more this year with Fallou and Houston leaving. Malik will take one of those spots if he comes back. Who else are we looking at? I think we easily could have sweated it out another year with IJ to keep from taking the APR hit, and also had room for Tookie who I think we would have hung onto regardless based on his performance thus far. Am I wrong?

Malik is likely to return at this point. Q will play the 2 next year.
Peters is coming in and is a dynamite recruit. He will play enough PG for Malik to play some 2 as well at times.

Having an unhappy Sr PG on your team is not conducive to having a good lockerroom environment.

engie
01-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Peters is coming in and is a dynamite recruit. He will play enough PG for Malik to play some 2 as well at times.

Having an unhappy Sr PG on your team is not conducive to having a good lockerroom environment.

Carter plays a good bit of point too as of right now.

I was for keeping Tookie at the time -- but it would be ridiculous to have a team with 4 or 5 point guards when we need help in the post. I still think that Ready and Malik are either/or for next year.

PG - Peters
Malik
Ready

CG - Q
Carter

SG - Wright

SF - Stapleton
Kegler

PF - Holman
Strugg

C - Herard
Ado

I see 10 solid scholarships here of the 12 signed/coming back. And I expect us to take 1 or 2 in the late signing period this season. We badly need at least one more elite power forward to be a complete team.

HoopsDawg
01-08-2016, 09:22 AM

LOL, Malik is not returning.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 09:27 AM
LOL, Malik is not returning.

I knowww....I knowwwwww....and Rankin wasnt redshirting...Malik is not even an All-SEC player at this point- much less a lottery pick

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2016, 09:50 AM
+1

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-08-2016, 09:51 AM
we freed up space for Kobi Simmons.....HA I wish!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 10:00 AM
we freed up space for Kobi Simmons.....HA I wish!

Kobe is another kid who has to have the ball in his hands a lot. He really doesn't fit in with what we already have. Great talent but with Peters & Tyson already signed he really doesn't fill a need.

engie
01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
We need Indiana to miss the tourney IMO. Their rpi puts them on the outside right now and the b1g is pretty terrible this year for them to really make up much ground. If Crean doesn't make the tourney, he's done, and I have to think De'ron Davis will reopen his recruitment...

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM
I love Peters' shot.. quick & high like Ricky Williams

HoopsDawg
01-08-2016, 10:51 AM
I knowww....I knowwwwww....and Rankin wasnt redshirting...Malik is not even an All-SEC player at this point- much less a lottery pick

And DeRunnya was leaning to coming back despite not filing papers. Gerald Wallace didn't start for Alabama and went Pro. Monta Ellis was a 2nd round pick and went straight out of high school. Not being All-SEC means less than nothing.

HSVDawg
01-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Who said he was unhappy? I'm all for parting ways with him if we do find someone else in the late period AND Malik comes back. But as engie alluded to earlier with the APR, it's not worth taking the APR hit just for better locker room chemistry. Besides, I think we all love the class coming in and their eventual potential, but this class still isn't even close to Fab 5 quality or the type classes that UK brings in year after year. There will be an adjustment period for a lot of these guys, and I think it's very likely we still won't make the tourney next year just based on the amount of youth that we will have out there. Running off IJ isn't going to change any of that.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Who said he was unhappy? I'm all for parting ways with him if we do find someone else in the late period AND Malik comes back. But as engie alluded to earlier with the APR, it's not worth taking the APR hit just for better locker room chemistry. Besides, I think we all love the class coming in and their eventual potential, but this class still isn't even close to Fab 5 quality or the type classes that UK brings in year after year. There will be an adjustment period for a lot of these guys, and I think it's very likely we still won't make the tourney next year just based on the amount of youth that we will have out there. Running off IJ isn't going to change any of that.

I'm talking next season when he is the 3rd PG

Raytoraid83
01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
And DeRunnya was leaning to coming back despite not filing papers. Gerald Wallace didn't start for Alabama and went Pro. Monta Ellis was a 2nd round pick and went straight out of high school. Not being All-SEC means less than nothing.

Word from Horatio is that Malik is starting to realize coming back next year isn't a bad thing

msstate7
01-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Word from Horatio is that Malik is starting to realize coming back next year isn't a bad thing

If Malik really is serious about coming back, I'd start Malik and Q in the backcourt tomorrow and play them the rest of the year as many mins as possible. As soon as Holman is ready, I'd play him and start playing more man so these 3 will be ready to play it next year

engie
01-08-2016, 12:33 PM
If Malik really is serious about coming back, I'd start Malik and Q in the backcourt tomorrow and play them the rest of the year as many mins as possible. As soon as Holman is ready, I'd play him and start playing more man so these 3 will be ready to play it next year

Exactly my thoughts

HSVDawg
01-08-2016, 12:59 PM

We keep referring to Malik as our starting PG. Although in actuality, he has been about as much of a PG as Gavin Ware has this year. I know he wants to play PG as he thinks thats his NBA ticket, but honestly he is a natural two guard and I don't see that changing any time soon. He didn't even play PG in high school.

I think our best lineup next year will be Peters starting at the point, Malik at the two, Keglar at the 3, Holman as a stretch 4, and then Herard at C. When Peters needs a breather we can slide Malik over to point and bring in Weatherspoon as the 2. When both are out we can bring in IJ and Spoon. We can even go small and start Spoon at the 3 and slide Keglar down to the 4 if we wanted. In either case, I think IJ would be the second "true" point guard and would still have some role. Malik is a combo guard at best. I know Howland probably promised him the opportunity to start at the point as a part of his recruitment, but next year I don't think that is what is best for our team and both Howland and Malik need to realize that.

Thick
01-08-2016, 01:08 PM
We keep referring to Malik as our starting PG. Although in actuality, he has been about as much of a PG as Gavin Ware has this year. I know he wants to play PG as he thinks thats his NBA ticket, but honestly he is a natural two guard and I don't see that changing any time soon. He didn't even play PG in high school.

I think our best lineup next year will be Peters starting at the point, Malik at the two, Keglar at the 3, Holman as a stretch 4, and then Herard at C. When Peters needs a breather we can slide Malik over to point and bring in Weatherspoon as the 2. When both are out we can bring in IJ and Spoon. We can even go small and start Spoon at the 3 and slide Keglar down to the 4 if we wanted. In either case, I think IJ would be the second "true" point guard and would still have some role. Malik is a combo guard at best. I know Howland probably promised him the opportunity to start at the point as a part of his recruitment, but next year I don't think that is what is best for our team and both Howland and Malik need to realize that.

He's being projected as a 1/2 combo, but his dad believes he will be a 1 in the NBA after discussions with NBA scouts.

engie
01-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Malik is still transitioning to point. He doesn't look natural there yet because he's been doing it less than a year. He possesses all the intangibles and tangibles needed for the position. Just needs to gain reps and confidence at the new speed of the game -- and it would helf if he had a few teammates he can get on the same page with besides Q. Half the lineup at any given time seems to be playing out of spite for Malik. They can't be gone soon enough.

thf24
01-08-2016, 01:20 PM
He's being projected as a 1/2 combo, but his dad believes he will be a 1 in the NBA after discussions with NBA scouts.

I don't think there's any chance he'd be a 2. The prototypical 2 in the modern NBA is 6'6" and long, with the exceptions being mostly older guys (Dwayne Wade) or elite role players (Tony Allen, those several scrawny white guys who shoot 50+% from 3). Malik definitely has starter talent, but the only place he fits size-wise is the 1. He can make an impact for us at either position, so we might as well do him a service and play him at his future NBA position.

MarketingBully
01-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Carter plays a good bit of point too as of right now.

I was for keeping Tookie at the time -- but it would be ridiculous to have a team with 4 or 5 point guards when we need help in the post. I still think that Ready and Malik are either/or for next year.

PG - Peters
Malik
Ready

CG - Q
Carter

SG - Wright

SF - Stapleton
Kegler

PF - Holman
Strugg

C - Herard
Ado

I see 10 solid scholarships here of the 12 signed/coming back. And I expect us to take 1 or 2 in the late signing period this season. We badly need at least one more elite power forward to be a complete team.

I think we sign two more PFs this class. We will at least sign one more. I agree Engie. We are one solid PF in this class away from being completely elite. Coach Howland also stated that we are going to do a pre-season overseas tournament next year to get a jump start on team chemistry since we will be extremely talented but also young. It wouldn't surprise me though if Stapleton shows out early at the 2/3 to give some competition to the newcomers since he will be a junior. I am very excited about next year and think our floor is NIT while our ceiling is Sweet-16. Should be really fun!

MarketingBully
01-08-2016, 02:14 PM

It's the #6 class in the country and the highest class we have ever brought in. We will be young but all of these kids have played together on the AAU circuit and have some chemistry going already. Our floor next year is NIT and we will easily be at least the third most talented team in the SEC. Our team will feature 9 4+ Star players. That is roughly 70% of the team. I for one am excited about seeing all of the talent we have acquired. Coach Howland has raised our profile quite a bit and I think by year three we will be competing with Kentucky for the SEC Championship.

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Malik will be Bear 2.0..... we'll all say he needs another year to develop, but he's gone. Draft grade good or bad.... unless Horatio can talk some sense into him.

engie
01-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Malik will be Bear 2.0..... we'll all say he needs another year to develop, but he's gone. Draft grade good or bad.... unless Horatio can talk some sense into him.

If it was actually like that -- he woulda coulda shoulda been in Europe out of high school as was openly discussed at the time.

He's a kid that spent 3 years of his high school career as the #1 prospect in the country. It's only natural that it takes time to adjust to a different reality than you have spent much of your life expecting early lottery as a given...

Some of the things said along the way have been very rash -- but the actual actions have been very deliberate...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
It's the #6 class in the country and the highest class we have ever brought in. We will be young but all of these kids have played together on the AAU circuit and have some chemistry going already. Our floor next year is NIT and we will easily be at least the third most talented team in the SEC. Our team will feature 9 4+ Star players. That is roughly 70% of the team. I for one am excited about seeing all of the talent we have acquired. Coach Howland has raised our profile quite a bit and I think by year three we will be competing with Kentucky for the SEC Championship.

Only new guys that have played together are Tyson & Mario. They'll need time to gel. That's why the summer trip to Italy is so important. Gives them 10 extra practices & a handful of exhibition games to build & bond as a team.

RiverCityDawg
01-08-2016, 03:55 PM
He's a kid that spent 3 years of his high school career as the #1 prospect in the country. It's only natural that it takes time to adjust to a different reality than you have spent much of your life expecting early lottery as a given...

Some of the things said along the way have been very rash -- but the actual actions have been very deliberate...

Great point and well said. He may very well still leave after this year, but just because Malik, Horatio and Howland all said before the year he was one-and-done doesn't mean they can't adjust to a different reality and change course. Of course they all said he was one-and-done... I'm sure they all assumed he would dominate at this level just like he has his whole life. Unfortunately it just hasn't happened that way so far.

Malik seems to have a good head on his shoulders so hopefully at the end of the year he takes in all the information and chooses what's best for him, whatever that choice may be.

Dawg61
01-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Pretty sure Stapleton will only be a sophomore next year

CarolinaDawgs
01-08-2016, 04:35 PM
Lamar Peters is going to be a very similar player to Marcus Paige from UNC. I can't wait to see it in person.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Lamar Peters is going to be a very similar player to Marcus Paige from UNC. I can't wait to see it in person.

Good comparison. I always said his game reminded me of Brandon Jennings.

MarketingBully
01-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Pretty sure Stapleton will only be a sophomore next year

Yeah, you are right. He will be junior in age but has three years to play. I think he will be a good one.