PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a professional baseball player

PassInterference
01-07-2016, 02:47 PM
I'll just leave this right here...

Dear Mississippi Braves Fan,
As you know, baseball season is right around the corner and our boys of summer will be here in the coming weeks. We are extremely excited about the upcoming Spring/Summer schedule and look forward to enjoying the time with you. Your support of the Mississippi Braves is both valued and appreciated, and we cannot say "thank you" enough. We are hoping to recruit new/additional host homes for our players for the upcoming season. Stopping in Mississippi on their path of aspiring to reach their ultimate goal requires hard work, dedication--and making ends meet on a very small paycheck. For those that have participated in the past, we thank you for all that you have done and continue to do. For those that have not participated but would like to in 2016, we would love to hear from you. We ask anyone that is interested in possibly opening up their home to a M-Braves player for the upcoming season, to call or e-mail Jim Bishop. Jim can be reached at 601-932-8788, or you can e-mail Jim at jim.bishop@braves.com. Jim will be happy to discuss, provide any information needed, answer any questions about the program, etc. If camp ended today, we currently have enough host homes for approximately 20 players. We will break camp with a roster of at least 25 guys, so we are definitely looking to secure a few more host homes for our players. Click here to view the 2016 schedule. The team will report to Mississippi on April 3, and the boys will remain in town until early September. Again, please feel free to call or e-mail Jim Bishop if you are interested in hearing more. Thank you and we look forward to hearing back from anyone that might possibly have an interest in participating this season. Regards, Jim Bishop If interested in hearing more, please contact:Jim Bishop, Assistant GMMississippi Braves601-932-8788jim.bishop@braves.com

engie
01-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Extremely common practice that's been in place in the minor leagues for a very long time. The majority of the guys going thru the farm system do this, with the exception of some of the high signing bonus guys or those that already have families. Lot of fresh out of college cleat chasers be signing right up

JoseBrown
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Well damn it's changed since I worked in Texas League in late 80's early 90's. What's changed in AA that's lead to this? Everyone shared apartments back then. Someone out, someone in. Maybe a franchise thing, as Braves weren't in Texas League. But Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, Brewers, Rangers, Mets/Astro's, Giants and Angels were, some pretty good minor league organizations, as far as investing in their AA programs.

starkvegasdawg
01-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Why do I keep thinking back to the movie Bull Durhman with Susan Sarandon's character getting ready to pick her player for the season?

Todd4State
01-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Well damn it's changed since I worked in Texas League in late 80's early 90's. What's changed in AA that's lead to this? Everyone shared apartments back then. Someone out, someone in. Maybe a franchise thing, as Braves weren't in Texas League. But Dodgers, Padres, Cardinals, Brewers, Rangers, Mets/Astro's, Giants and Angels were, some pretty good minor league organizations, as far as investing in their AA programs.

I'm pretty sure they still do that. Sometimes it several guys in one apartment.

State82
01-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Why do I keep thinking back to the movie Bull Durhman with Susan Sarandon's character getting ready to pick her player for the season?

Ha! That's exactly what comes to mind.