PDA

View Full Version : MSU's Compliance vs The Rest of the Country

BeastMan
08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
http://3rdand57.com/compliance-msus-vs-the-rest-of-the-country/

I gave my 2 cents yesterday and tried to tackle it from a different angle. I looked at our compliance through a macro lense. Businesses must evolve to better navigate the current climate of the business world. Don't fool yourself that college athletics isn't a business

Coach34
08-07-2013, 10:58 AM
nice job...it's obvious we are only running a good 12-13 years behind the rest of the country

RougeDawg
08-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Every other school denies by any and every means necessary, lawyers up, and forces the NCAA to prove something occurred. And even when the NCAA proves some infraction did occur (Cecil and Cam), the legal pressure against them forces the NCAA into the "do nothing" "CYA" mentality and they make exceptions and tweak rules.

Then you look at MSU. All that was needed was a denial of any wrong doing, and get a lawyer to discredit the information and DeVinner himself. Who wins in this situation? A big 6 conference university, or a wanna be agent trying to make a buck? His sleaziness is already known and easily proven, so why not hire lawyers to prove he was only out to make a buck and trying to take advantage of High School players? MSU remains quiet, MSU Legal Council makes DeVinner out to be an exploiting liar, NCAA's lack of Subpoena power prevents them from obtaining any information, and they find no wrong doing. Instead we turnover any and all information to NCAA, essentially assuring some type of penalties. That is so ****ing stupid, and we deserve everything, if not more, just out of plain stupidity. I wish the penalties had been more harsh, so our idiot compliance department got slapped up side the face so hard, that they'd look around and notice what every other athletic department in the northern hemisphere does when the NCAA comes knocking. Tell them to **** off!!

This same shit happened with Templeton during the Sherrill stuff. And essentially when Sherrill packed it in, resulting in his last 3 teams performances. The NCAA had no concrete evidence in that case, and Templeton had the opportunity to tell them to **** off until they had any condemning evidence. But good ole LT basically rolls out the red carpet for the NCAA and hands them exactly what they want/need. The fallout between LT and JS after this was esseitnally when Sherrill gave up, because he didn't feel he had the backing of his AD and university. He was strung out to dry and it never had to happen.

How many times are we going to do this before we learn our lesson? How many times are we going to watch the OM's, Alabama's, Auburn's, Etc., blatantly cheat in plain daylight, essentially shaking their dicks in the face of the NCAA without any recourse or penalty? Are we this ****ing stupid at MSU? Is everyone else that much smarter than our powers in charge?

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Someone should make a chart of the top 50 schools in the country and the back grounds of their compliance director. Would be interesting to have some real facts to go along with our complaints.

maroonmania
08-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Every other school denies by any and every means necessary, lawyers up, and forces the NCAA to prove something occurred. And even when the NCAA proves some infraction did occur (Cecil and Cam), the legal pressure against them forces the NCAA into the "do nothing" "CYA" mentality and they make exceptions and tweak rules.

Then you look at MSU. All that was needed was a denial of any wrong doing, and get a lawyer to discredit the information and DeVinner himself. Who wins in this situation? A big 6 conference university, or a wanna be agent trying to make a buck? His sleaziness is already known and easily proven, so why not hire lawyers to prove he was only out to make a buck and trying to take advantage of High School players? MSU remains quiet, MSU Legal Council makes DeVinner out to be an exploiting liar, NCAA's lack of Subpoena power prevents them from obtaining any information, and they find no wrong doing. Instead we turnover any and all information to NCAA, essentially assuring some type of penalties. That is so ****ing stupid, and we deserve everything, if not more, just out of plain stupidity. I wish the penalties had been more harsh, so our idiot compliance department got slapped up side the face so hard, that they'd look around and notice what every other athletic department in the northern hemisphere does when the NCAA comes knocking. Tell them to **** off!!

This same shit happened with Templeton during the Sherrill stuff. And essentially when Sherrill packed it in, resulting in his last 3 teams performances. The NCAA had no concrete evidence in that case, and Templeton had the opportunity to tell them to **** off until they had any condemning evidence. But good ole LT basically rolls out the red carpet for the NCAA and hands them exactly what they want/need. The fallout between LT and JS after this was esseitnally when Sherrill gave up, because he didn't feel he had the backing of his AD and university. He was strung out to dry and it never had to happen.

How many times are we going to do this before we learn our lesson? How many times are we going to watch the OM's, Alabama's, Auburn's, Etc., blatantly cheat in plain daylight, essentially shaking their dicks in the face of the NCAA without any recourse or penalty? Are we this ****ing stupid at MSU? Is everyone else that much smarter than our powers in charge?

Relative to our methodology with compliance, the MSU powers that be are either VERY naive or VERY stupid. It is either one or the other at this point. When we got our NCAA decision back on the latest with our penalties which included a kid losing nearly half his college career it literally made me sick to my stomach to hear our university leaders speak glowingly on how well our compliance office had handled the entire situation. I am like 'you have to be freakin' kidding me'.

TUSK
08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
But bama tried the "**** off" approach in 93 and it didn't work out. in 2000 we rolled over and received some of the worst sanctions ever. Things have changed since Cam and the Miami investigation. the ncaa is toothless now.

AROB44
08-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Are we this ****ing stupid at MSU? Is everyone else that much smarter than our powers in charge?

In one word....YES !!! In 2 words .....**** YES !!!!

maroonmania
08-07-2013, 11:37 AM
But bama tried the "**** off" approach in 93 and it didn't work out. in 2000 we rolled over and received some of the worst sanctions ever. Things have changed since Cam and the Miami investigation. the ncaa is toothless now.

You are dead on. Back during the Roy Kramer days the NCAA was a totally different animal than it is now. The NCAA is going to do little to nothing to you at the current time if they are actually forced to go out and investigate and provide the evidence on their own. They don't have to worry about that with MSU though as our compliance office chases every lead down and grabs every shred of evidence we can find so we can pass it on to the NCAA offices and basically do their investigative job for them. We are idiots to say the least.

SignalToNoise
08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Nice job, and I do not mean to discount your work but this subject has been beat to death. Everyone agrees we need to make a change but only heaven knows when that will actually happen.

RougeDawg
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Someone should make a chart of the top 50 schools in the country and the back grounds of their compliance director. Would be interesting to have some real facts to go along with our complaints.

Wondering what type of occupation Engie has that allows such research and also his ability to pull together data/info and present it so quickly?

The Croom Diaries
08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Nice job, and I do not mean to discount your work but this subject has been beat to death. Everyone agrees we need to make a change but only heaven knows when that will actually happen.

Has it been beat to death? Because I haven't seen where we've hired a new compliance director. Until we force Keenum's hand as one big angry mob, this is still a topic that should be at the forefront of MSU athletics.

This Texas A&M issue might shed more light on what we are doing wrong for MSU fans that still don't get it, and hopefully our president. A&M is lawyering up and making the NCAA nervous about their investigation. We've done the opposite and that investigation, or gift to the NCAA I should say, is a fresh taste in our mouths.

maroonmania
08-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Has it been beat to death? Because I haven't seen where we've hired a new compliance director. Until we force Keenum's hand as one big angry mob, this is still a topic that should be at the forefront of MSU athletics.

This Texas A&M issue might shed more light on what we are doing wrong for MSU fans that still don't get it, and hopefully our president. A&M is lawyering up and making the NCAA nervous about their investigation. We've done the opposite and that investigation, or gift to the NCAA I should say, is a fresh taste in our mouths.

Exactly, the drumbeat CAN NOT stop until our administration makes a change in the way we are doing things.

Todd4State
08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Has anyone at an alumni event ever asked Scott about this issue? I'd be curious to hear his response. There is no way he doesn't know this is an issue.

All he has to do is make Bracky the compliance director for women's athletics and be done with it.

maroonmania
08-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Has anyone at an alumni event ever asked Scott about this issue? I'd be curious to hear his response. There is no way he doesn't know this is an issue.

All he has to do is make Bracky the compliance director for women's athletics and be done with it.

Until both Keenum and Stricklin are convinced a change is needed AND they are ready to make a change all you would get from a question like that in a public forum would be a very "part line" type answer. Heck, I doubt you would get either of them to say very much outside of their internal office meetings even if you spoke to them one on one.