PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Beni got a better draft grade than we thought

Irondawg
01-07-2016, 10:23 AM
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports Mississippi State junior ILB Ben Brown will enter the draft.

Brown, who is following Mississippi State DL Chris Jones out the door, requested an NFL evaluation in December. Whether he liked what he heard or not we haven't been apprised. Regardless, Brown is taking his talents to the pros. Mississippi State's defensive anchor is a top-five ILB prospect, offering a "great combination of toughness, instincts and discipline," per Pauline. The analyst gave Brown a fourth-round grade in the preseason, though we'd assume Pauline now sees Brown as a Day 2 talent.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

If he can go in the 3-5 round it's not a bad choice at all for him. I hadn't seen him ranked this high anywhere else but maybe his evaluation was pretty promising.

01-07-2016, 10:29 AM
He is gonna get drafted in the mid rounds. Does anyone know if Fred Brown declared or is he staying?

Political Hack
01-07-2016, 10:30 AM
This is the one that left early that I actually understand. He won't significantly improve his stock and can get another paid year before his body wears out. I've thought he'd be drafted in the 4-6 range at worst. He's too talented for all the teams to pass on him.

Political Hack
01-07-2016, 10:31 AM
He is gonna get drafted in the mid rounds. Does anyone know if Fred Brown declared or is he staying?

Last people heard he's staying but these things spread like a disease. We'll see.

Coach34
01-07-2016, 10:31 AM

Fred Brown absolutely needs to stay. He improved alot this year- but with Bear gone- he will get alot more looks and a chance to raise his stock. He would absolutely be making a mistake.

Homedawg
01-07-2016, 10:32 AM
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports Mississippi State junior ILB Ben Brown will enter the draft.

Brown, who is following Mississippi State DL Chris Jones out the door, requested an NFL evaluation in December. Whether he liked what he heard or not we haven't been apprised. Regardless, Brown is taking his talents to the pros. Mississippi State's defensive anchor is a top-five ILB prospect, offering a "great combination of toughness, instincts and discipline," per Pauline. The analyst gave Brown a fourth-round grade in the preseason, though we'd assume Pauline now sees Brown as a Day 2 talent.

If he can go in the 3-5 round it's not a bad choice at all for him. I hadn't seen him ranked this high anywhere else but maybe his evaluation was pretty promising.

The way the grades work are you get a 1st or a second or a go back to school grade, he didn't get either of the former....he made this decision on personal interest, wise or unwise. Good luck to him.

Coach34
01-07-2016, 10:32 AM
This is the one that left early that I actually understand. He won't significantly improve his stock and can get another paid year before his body wears out. I've thought he'd be drafted in the 4-6 range at worst. He's too talented for all the teams to pass on him.

Bennie's football IQ is top 10%. There is no doubt he will be on a roster.

01-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks

yjnkdawg
01-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Do you mean Fred Ross? Last info I heard was that he was leaning more toward staying for his senior year, but as mentioned earlier things can change.

HancockCountyDog
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Do you mean Fred Ross? Last info I heard was that he was leaning more toward staying for his senior year, but as mentioned earlier things can change.

Fred will be hard pressed to have a better year than this past year. He had a monster season. With us breaking in a new QB and him losing Bear on the outside that blocked great for him on those quick screens, it would make sense.

I hope he comes back selfishly, but I don't see his stock improving much from this year. He had such a monster season.

Political Hack
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Lol. I just assumed he was talking about Ross.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Fred has never thought about coming out early. Unless something changes in the next week his plan has always been to come back.

maroonmania
01-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Was about to post the same thing, I assume the discussion was on Ross. It would really be a reach for Fred Brown to be considering declaring.

01-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Fred Ross yes I apologize, was on the topic of Beniquez, brain fart

yjnkdawg
01-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Fred Ross yes I apologize, was on the topic of Beniquez, brain fart

No problem. I wasn't trying to be smart acting or anything, but just not heard any word on Fred Brown leaving early for the NFL draft. Also welcome aboard.

HancockCountyDog
01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Fred has never thought about coming out early. Unless something changes in the next week his plan has always been to come back.

Thats great to hear, but have to admit it's surprising. He will be hard pressed to have a better year statistically. I think we will get back to running the ball more with the QB and I just think it will be hard to duplicate those numbers.

He reminds me so much of Jordan Matthews from Vandy. I think he is a 3rd or 4th round pick right now, and honestly I don't see that improving much, but that is good for us. Fred, AJ and Donald will be damn good next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Thats great to hear, but have to admit it's surprising. He will be hard pressed to have a better year statistically. I think we will get back to running the ball more with the QB and I just think it will be hard to duplicate those numbers.

He reminds me so much of Jordan Matthews from Vandy. I think he is a 3rd or 4th round pick right now, and honestly I don't see that improving much, but that is good for us. Fred, AJ and Donald will be damn good next year.

Yes it's very good news for us. I just don't think he thought he was ready physically or mentally to be a professional. He had a great year but this was his 1st year being a full time starter. Putting another good year on film will help him out even if he doesn't match the #'s the scouts know he'll be working with a new QB. He also wasn't a guy who was going to go to the combine & boost his stock up with eye popping #'s.

tcdog70
01-07-2016, 12:51 PM
all this means is Lewis and Jung and Green will get more playing time. It could be a good thing. We should improve the position with more talent--but might lose some football smarts.

maroonmania
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM

As I stated yesterday, not keen on the decision but now that he's made it I hope it works out well for him and he gets drafted as high as he can.

HancockCountyDog
01-07-2016, 01:06 PM
all this means is Lewis and Jung and Green will get more playing time. It could be a good thing. We should improve the position with more talent--but might lose some football smarts.

Losing Beni doesn't help the defense. Does it help Lewis, Jung and Green? Sure. It doesn't help the defense. Beni has been a stud for 3 years. Lets not diminish what he did at MSU by saying the next guy will have more talent. Beni was a four star player that started close to 30 games at MSU. He was second on the team in tackles for two straight years. You don't get much more talented than that.

djaymsu5
01-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Losing Beni doesn't help the defense. Does it help Lewis, Jung and Green? Sure. It doesn't help the defense. Beni has been a stud for 3 years. Lets not diminish what he did at MSU by saying the next guy will have more talent. Beni was a four star player that started close to 30 games at MSU. He was second on the team in tackles for two straight years. You don't get much more talented than that.

Well we haven't seen Leo play either so we really can't say if the defense will be any worse according to his position. Do I think Leo has the IQ that Benni does? Probably not but Leo was a higher 4 star coming out of high school than Benni was so who's the say he doesn't have a better career. We will never know until we see the kid play. I think Leo is a better athlete than Benni and can get to the ball quicker. Yes we will lose some smarts more than likely but Leo has played football his whole life he will figure it out and he just had a whole season to learn the plays. But nobody is taking anything away from Benni, he was a hell of a player for us. Wish him the best in the NFL.

BankerDog
01-07-2016, 01:49 PM
But I was told yesterday he was an OLB!**

The guy is smart and will make a living in the NFL and one day as a coach. Congrats Beni. Thanks for your hard work. Go provide for your family.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 01:53 PM
But I was told yesterday he was an OLB!**

The guy is smart and will make a living in the NFL and one day as a coach. Congrats Beni. Thanks for your hard work. Go provide for your family.

At MSU he was an OLB

BankerDog
01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
At MSU he was an OLB

Just giving you a hard time Dan. All in good fun. He made a lot of the calls I believe so that's why I say he is an ILB. Not many OLB make the calls. Again, all in good fun!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Just giving you a hard time Dan. All in good fun. He made a lot of the calls I believe so that's why I say he is an ILB. Not many OLB make the calls. Again, all in good fun!

No problem. He will be an ILB in the league & his smarts will keep him in the league longer than his athletic ability will.

mic
01-07-2016, 02:28 PM
No problem. He will be an ILB in the league & his smarts will keep him in the league longer than his athletic ability will.

And he should be and I'm sure will be a very good special teams player...

defiantdog
01-07-2016, 03:10 PM
And he should be and I'm sure will be a very good special teams player...

What's an extra year gonna help? I've never heard a bunch of people wine so much about players leaving early. Shouldn't everyone be happy for the guy? Next one up right?

maroonmania
01-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Well we haven't seen Leo play either so we really can't say if the defense will be any worse according to his position. Do I think Leo has the IQ that Benni does? Probably not but Leo was a higher 4 star coming out of high school than Benni was so who's the say he doesn't have a better career. We will never know until we see the kid play. I think Leo is a better athlete than Benni and can get to the ball quicker. Yes we will lose some smarts more than likely but Leo has played football his whole life he will figure it out and he just had a whole season to learn the plays. But nobody is taking anything away from Benni, he was a hell of a player for us. Wish him the best in the NFL.

This discussion got me to thinking, currently Richie and Leo are both Mike LBs so with the departure of Beni would one move into his outside slot? Will Gerri Green still be looked at DE are does he now stay at LB? Will Dez Harris ever be a factor again with his injuries? I'm assuming Gray and Jung handle the other outside spot.

RougeDawg
01-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Let's not forget the flip side of this. The more guys we out in the league the better. The more early draftees we have will also help us. We now have the ability to sell what the big boys have been for years. You come to MSU and you have the same chance to go 3 and done as you do anywhere else.

djaymsu5
01-07-2016, 11:41 PM
This discussion got me to thinking, currently Richie and Leo are both Mike LBs so with the departure of Beni would one move into his outside slot? Will Gerri Green still be looked at DE are does he now stay at LB? Will Dez Harris ever be a factor again with his injuries? I'm assuming Gray and Jung handle the other outside spot.

I am really not sure.