PDA

View Full Version : can someone please tell me what is wrong with this lineup?

HoopsDawg
01-06-2016, 10:42 PM
PG: Malik
G: Sword
G: Q
F: Daniels
F: Ware

and by someone I mean Howland. Plus this gets Malik the ball more so he can make decisions. He had 2 nice assists and a 3 to start the 2nd half. Also, trading Ready for Q will help our rebounding. We lost this game due to 2nd chance points.

defiantdog
01-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Nice line up but Ready would still brick a 3 from the bench.

engie
01-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Agreed. Best lineup.

Holman needs to get up to speed asap as well. He's not there yet. If/when he starts to show glimmers of what he can be, I would be ok with throwing him at the 4 as well.

Just over these upperclassmen as a group. In 4 years they haven't learned how to win. Incredibly low basketball iq as a group. So damn obvious every time we have Q and Malik on floor together how much this aspect improves.

I could better stomach losses like tonight -- if it's next year and everyone we have on the floor are freshmen on the front end of a learning curve...

Irondawg
01-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Well we lost this game for multiple reasons but that is a better lineup for us and not sure why we haven't used it. Heck swap holman for Daniels for all I care.

But we got hurt late when Ware abandoned his zone position to chase someone screening up top and forced Sword to cover two guys. He should have chose inside and then Sword tried to play hero late and has the turnover.

Ready shoving a guy with no chance to get a rebound and Malik missing 2 FT's didn't help.

We just keep finding ways not to win.

whosyourdawgy
01-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Well we lost this game for multiple reasons but that is a better lineup for us and not sure why we haven't used it. Heck swap holman for Daniels for all I care.

But we got hurt late when Ware abandoned his zone position to chase someone screening up top and forced Sword to cover two guys. He should have chose inside and then Sword tried to play hero late and has the turnover.

Ready shoving a guy with no chance to get a rebound and Malik missing 2 FT's didn't help.

We just keep finding ways not to win.

All true but I will add on that last defensive possession that IJ Ready again does nothing at all defensively for us and just got blown by to allow that pass to be made for the layup. For someone supposedly short and quick, he can't guard fallou off the dribble. When you have he and Gavin in there at the end for a key defensive stop late, bad things can and most likely will happen

msstate7
01-06-2016, 11:10 PM
If we do go with the 3 freshmen at some point this year, we need to play more man. If we're gonna play man next year, I want our freshmen and Stapleton in practice to start learning it

Rayburn8
01-06-2016, 11:15 PM
We've started that line-up a couple times this year. Howland seems to like to change it up from game to game.

the59dawg
01-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Agreed. Best lineup.

Holman needs to get up to speed asap as well. He's not there yet. If/when he starts to show glimmers of what he can be, I would be ok with throwing him at the 4 as well.

Just over these upperclassmen as a group. In 4 years they haven't learned how to win. Incredibly low basketball iq as a group. So damn obvious every time we have Q and Malik on floor together how much this aspect improves.

I could better stomach losses like tonight -- if it's next year and everyone we have on the floor are freshmen on the front end of a learning curve...
Holman comes in twice. Each time he immediately throws up a long 3 pt. Then proceeded back to the bench where he stayed. Well deserved. Does he think he was brought in to shoot 3's with Malik and Q in the lineup?

louisvilledawg
01-07-2016, 09:27 AM
We've started that line-up a couple times this year. Howland seems to like to change it up from game to game.

So you're saying he's the basketball version of John Cohen??? Say it ain't so

HancockCountyDog
01-07-2016, 09:33 AM

and by someone I mean Howland. Plus this gets Malik the ball more so he can make decisions. He had 2 nice assists and a 3 to start the 2nd half. Also, trading Ready for Q will help our rebounding. We lost this game due to 2nd chance points.

My problem is not with the lineup, but with who gets the ball with 2:00 left and we are down 2. Sword needs to realize he is not this team's best player. I know he has been the last two years, but he isn't this year. He would be a great 2nd banana. He is not a number 1. Him dribbling into a double team last night with the game on the line simply shows that.

Howland needs to make it clear that this is Newman's team and the other 4 guys on the floor job is to feed off Malik. He will make other players better, but they have to allow him to do that.

Political Hack
01-07-2016, 09:47 AM
IJ
Malik
Q
Zup
Ware

That's our best lineup if we've accepted that we'll play zone. Q showed that he can handle a low block in the zone last night against A&M and Ware is learning how to play the middle without getting into foul trouble. Fred as 6th man. Chicken and Daniels need to provide depth on offense and defense respectively.

Now, we just need to learn how to find a man and block out. Can someone see if we can get a Syracuse coach down here for a weekend to teach that?!?!?!?

shannondawg
01-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Its telling that Q was in the final minutes of the game. Howland said in postgame, that IJ was a bad match up against Caruso as he couldn't stop him.

if I was paid the big bucks, then it would be on me to decide if Q was to start or come off the bench. he is indeed the one that can spark the team by coming in.

Nobody has mentioned how improved our D has become, its like night and day. Howland knows what he is doing and I'm going to let him run the team like he wants.

I personally don't think its a seniority thing that he is starting IJ, its what he thinks is the thing to do to win.

On another note, Richard must think he's the coach in the post game interview with Howland. He won't shut up. I personally like his analysis of the game but when Howland comes on, he has said his piece and its time to hear what the real coach has to say.

GreenheadDawg
01-07-2016, 09:54 AM
All true but I will add on that last defensive possession that IJ Ready again does nothing at all defensively for us and just got blown by to allow that pass to be made for the layup. For someone supposedly short and quick, he can't guard fallou off the dribble. When you have he and Gavin in there at the end for a key defensive stop late, bad things can and most likely will happen

Am I the only one that is not a fan of Ready. He's a lazy defender and a terrible 3-point shooter but yet slings it up from all over the place. I don't keep up with basketball as much as I do baseball or football but from what I've seen he doesn't contribute much

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 09:56 AM
The reason he doesn't play this lineup much is because none of those guys take care of the ball particularly well. None of them have an assist over 1:1.

maroonmania
01-07-2016, 10:02 AM

I am more for any lineup that doesn't start Daniels. He is a reserve to rest someone at best. I mean seriously what does he offer? Its like he moves in a slower gear than anyone else on the court. For all the mistakes and screwups we get from IJ or Sword or Thomas, at least they are doing something. Daniels looks like he's sleepwalking most of the time. A&M stole the ball away from him in the last minute or so last night that cost us because he was not being alert. Shocker.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
The reason he doesn't play this lineup much is because none of those guys take care of the ball particularly well. None of them have an assist over 1:1.

No way to know. IJ dominates the ball when he is in the game. Malik came here to be developed as the PG. I have confidence that he can run the show. I guess no one noticed, but the reason we lost that game was due to offensive rebounding. We have to get more size on the court and Q is 10x the rebounder that Ready is.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=HoopsDawg;481834]No way to know. IJ dominates the ball when he is in the game. Malik came here to be developed as the PG. I have confidence that he can run the show. I guess no one noticed, but the reason we lost that game was due to offensive rebounding. We have to get more size on the court and Q is 10x the rebounder that Ready is.[/QUOTE

I think part of the reason IJ dominates the ball so much is because of the other guys propensity for turnovers. Malik & Chicken both have more turnovers this season than IJ even though they handle the ball far less. Q is almost there as well even though he plays less minutes. That lineup has way more talent no denying that but you have to value the basketball & that's why Howland plays IJ so much.

engie
01-07-2016, 11:53 AM
I guess no one noticed, but the reason we lost that game was due to offensive rebounding. We have to get more size on the court and Q is 10x the rebounder that Ready is.

This as well.

yjnkdawg
01-07-2016, 11:58 AM
If we do go with the 3 freshmen at some point this year, we need to play more man. If we're gonna play man next year, I want our freshmen and Stapleton in practice to start learning it

I think Howland would love to play man to man and doesn't really like zone defense, but with the new rule changes and all the players he currently has, we could probably see walk ons on the floor due to other players fouling out.

tcdog70
01-07-2016, 03:23 PM
The reason we were able to get back in the game last night was because of Chicken. Newman kept having chance to win the game and he kept missing and turning it over. Chicken had like 3 assists and a big bucket to tie it up. i know he made a bad decision to split the double team but He had put us in position to win. Chicken has to play if we are going to win a game. Ready and Daniel could stay on the bench if up to me. Zup is a better option if we play a zone, Travis just doesn't get it.