PDA

View Full Version : Malik

Maroon_and_white
01-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Should be a big time contributor to our loaded team next year

Coach34
01-07-2016, 12:15 AM
yes- he is not a one and done. There is no way he is going to be 1st or 2nd team All-SEC unless some kind of major light kicks on

Maroon Blood
01-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Why doesn't he drive to the basket more? I'm no basketball guru, but it seems obvious to me that he needs to take the ball to the bucket more instead of just trying to bomb three-pointers.

Coach34
01-07-2016, 09:53 AM
I guess cause he gets fouled and misses FT's. 2 big misses late for us

drunkernhelldawg
01-07-2016, 09:58 AM
He can be authoritative in spurts but can't carry it through a long time period. Hopefully, that will develop.

rbdog82
01-07-2016, 10:01 AM
I guess cause he gets fouled and misses FT's. 2 big misses late for us

I believe he also missed two big free throws (less than a minute left) in the first game he played in at the Hump that would've either put us up or tied the game. He'll be back.

Coach34
01-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Oh absolutely. As good as he is- he is still young. He is a 2 yr college guy and then he will likely be a top 8 pick after his Soph year

engie
01-07-2016, 11:07 AM
If he comes back, next year can get really exciting. Need to see something from Holman and/or another power forward signee before I'm willing to go over the top with it though...

2006Dawg
01-07-2016, 11:11 AM
I believe he should be back next year as well. He needs to develop the ability to play PG, work on getting stronger so that he can take a pounding and finish on his drives to the basket, and show that he can play some defense. The rest of his game needs fine tuning as well, but some of that will come with experience and his confidence getting stronger.

Maroon_and_white
01-07-2016, 11:25 AM
From watching interviews and some of the "Beyond the game" videos made about him, Malik seems like a pretty mature guy for his age, but I can't help but think this season has humbled him a little. One of my fears coming in was that poor competition and coaching in the MHSAA ranks coupled with being a career AAU guy wouldn't translate to high level D1 basketball and that seems to be the case. He's missed clutch free throws late in a couple of games now and the ebb and flow of very competitive team basketball hasn't resonated yet (sWord not accepting his new role in team hasn't helped). The best talent comparison coming out MS would be Monta Ellis and it took Monta a couple years to get the feel of that in the NBA. From what I've seen up to this point in time, I think it would be a poor decision to go into the NBA right now. If his best projected position in the NBA is going to be PG then he needs to use this season as a learning curve and really hit it hard in the offseason to breakout next year. With various rule changes, the flow of the college game is now more similar to the NBA than in years past and with Howland's experience coaching up NBA players I think it would be wise for him to stay one more year. We'll see what happens, I still say it's probably only 25% chance he comes back.

klong-dog
01-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Knowing our luck, he'll probably go Dontae Jones esc in the SEC tourney averaging 30 a game.

Prediction? Pain.
01-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Why doesn't he drive to the basket more? I'm no basketball guru, but it seems obvious to me that he needs to take the ball to the bucket more instead of just trying to bomb three-pointers.

Yeah, I've been wondering that too. Does anyone know whether his game in high school was so centered around three-point shots? Because right now, approximately 60% of his shots are three-point attempts. (Here's (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/mississippi-state/2016.html) the source for that stat.) That seems too high to me, but that's because I was under the impression that he was an all-around scoring threat who would drive to the rim or take open intermediate jumpers as much or more than settling for threes.

LC Dawg
01-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Knowing our luck, he'll probably go Dontae Jones esc in the SEC tourney averaging 30 a game.

Newman averaging 30 a game in the tourney this year would just consist of him scoring 30 points in a loss to the 11 or 12 seed in the first round.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2016, 11:56 AM

That's been the biggest surprise to me. He attacked the basket with anger in High School. Also, I hate to break it to everyone, but Malik is going pro after this season. Ready or not, he's gone.

engie
01-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Malik is going pro after this season. Ready or not, he's gone.

I disagree -- but I've been through all that before. He'll go if the NBA tells him he is ready -- if not he'll be back IMO...

And yes I know what has been said publicly since the beginning...

yjnkdawg
01-07-2016, 12:07 PM
I believe he should be back next year as well. He needs to develop the ability to play PG, work on getting stronger so that he can take a pounding and finish on his drives to the basket, and show that he can play some defense. The rest of his game needs fine tuning as well, but some of that will come with experience and his confidence getting stronger.

If Horatio doesn't think after this year that Malik is ready for the NBA, then I think Malik will be back next year.

fishwater99
01-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I've been wondering that too. Does anyone know whether his game in high school was so centered around three-point shots? Because right now, approximately 60% of his shots are three-point attempts. (Here's (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/mississippi-state/2016.html) the source for that stat.) That seems too high to me, but that's because I was under the impression that he was an all-around scoring threat who would drive to the rim or take open intermediate jumpers as much or more than settling for threes.

He drove a lot to the basket in HS too. He does like to launch one though. He shot 37% in HS from 3.
Malik ran the show in HS and did what he wanted on the floor.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-newman/WktDSvToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Malik is not a great outside threat.
Sure, he can knock one down, but needs to be much more consistent from outside if he wants to play in he NBA.

drunkernhelldawg
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM
He drove a lot to the basket in HS too. He does like to launch one though. He shot 37% in HS from 3.
Malik ran the show in HS and did what he wanted on the floor.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/malik-newman/WktDSvToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/basketball-stats.htm

Malik is not a great outside threat.
Sure, he can knock one down, but needs to be much more consistent from outside if he wants to play in he NBA.

I haven't seen every play this season like a lot of posters have, but from what I have seen your post is spot on. Malik wants the ball. When Malik has the ball, he is frustrated by the fact that defense is much better than he is accustomed to. Malik needs to be more patient breaking down the defense and take the ball inside.

Haven't seen a good display of his talent yet, but I believe it's there from what I've read. From what I've seen on the court, he'll head to the NBA as soon as he gets the chance. It doesn't look like he's enjoying himself here yet. Hope that changes.

thf24
01-07-2016, 01:06 PM

Tell that to Rajon Rondo and Derrick Rose. He'd have to get a little better if he was going to play the 2, but since PG is his only option due to his size, his 3 point shooting now is fine.

MarketingBully
01-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Isn't he shooting 38% now in college from three point range? And he is also setting up and hitting deep threes. I don't know what you guys are seeing out there and why you are being overly critical of Malik. Malik, Ware, and Q have been our three best players but they can't do it by themselves. They can't be weighed down by a guy ball hogging to the tune of 7 points and 5 turnovers. They can't be weighed down by a guy who should be a pass first point guard who ended up with 7 points and count them 2 freaking assists! With as many scoring options we have, Ready should be averaging 7 assists easy. Daniels and Thomas don't give us anything out there. Who you should be critical of is Sword, Ready, Thomas, and Daniels. Those guys have led us to more losses then any other players in MSU history.

MarketingBully
01-07-2016, 01:28 PM
I disagree -- but I've been through all that before. He'll go if the NBA tells him he is ready -- if not he'll be back IMO...

And yes I know what has been said publicly since the beginning...

I agree with you Engie. If he isn't a lottery pick, he isn't going pro.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 01:34 PM
They can't be weighed down by a guy who should be a pass first point guard who ended up with 7 points and count them 2 freaking assists! With as many scoring options we have, Ready should be averaging 7 assists easy. .

You realize there's not 10 kids in the country who avg 7 assist. Only 1 in the SEC. All these scoring options?? Where?

MarketingBully
01-07-2016, 01:38 PM
You realize there's not 10 kids in the country who avg 7 assist. Only 1 in the SEC. All these scoring options?? Where?

Malik, Q, and Ware could all average 15+ a game and all could score 20+ on any given night. I know IJ can average that much because he has had 10+ assist games several times in his career. Heck, he had 11 against Northern Colorado.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Malik, Q, and Ware could all average 15+ a game and all could score 20+ on any given night. I know IJ can average that much because he has had 10+ assist games several times in his career. Heck, he had 11 against Northern Colorado.

So all those guys could be avg 15+ but it's IJ holding them back? OK

Johnson85
01-07-2016, 02:02 PM

Probably just adjusting to the college game, but I wonder whether him playing injured didn't cause him to lose his feel for the game more than taking time off to get healthy would have.

Coach34
01-07-2016, 02:17 PM
I agree with you Engie. If he isn't a lottery pick, he isn't going pro.

This is exactly what his father has said over and over. Lottery pick or return to school. Right now- he is in no way a lottery pick

tcdog70
01-07-2016, 03:11 PM
we will continue to suffer in the clutch if Ready and Daniels are in the game. How about Travis's behind the back dribble with he score tied and a turnover and slam dunk on he other end then a 3 ball over the Midget ready and there is your ball game.

msstate7
01-07-2016, 03:16 PM
we will continue to suffer in the clutch if Ready and Daniels are in the game. How about Travis's behind the back dribble with he score tied and a turnover and slam dunk on he other end then a 3 ball over the Midget ready and there is your ball game.

Daniels also passed up an open 3 with the shot clock winding down forcing sword to heave a prayer