PDA

View Full Version : B Brown entering draft

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Can confirm Ben Brown/LB/Mississippi State is entering the draft.

Coach34
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?38883-Rumors-on-our-Juniors

Some of you ****ers are gonna start listening to me at some point

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I just don't understand this move......is he even expected to get drafted?

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Good lord, what an odd decision.

WTF are our coaches doing?

This guy is going to go undrafted. Beginning to wonder if we are losing some guys that think they are going to get drafted or because they don't want to be here.

The decision makes ZERO sense to me

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I think Bear and Chris leaving was a good decision on their part. With all due respect to Beniquez, I don't think this is a great decision on his part.

ShotgunDawg

Not the point.

Why is he leaving?

Appears absurd

Coach34
"Ok. Well I will bet anyone on this site any amount of money that they would like to throw down that beniquez brown is not leaving. I'm sure I will have tons of takers. Jesus ****ing christ"- Jarius

"Your sources are full of shit. Or you don't have any and are just spewing bs."- Jarius

Big4Dawg

Don't pound your chest when you're right and then say "things change" when you're wrong.

It's Mel Tucker...gotta love this time of year. I like Tucker more than Allen truth be told. Supposedly we'll all know by Tuesday at the latest

Nobody is saying its Orgeron though. Interesting

Bothrops
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM
You know it's all because of Starkville**

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
CJ and Bear I understand. This decision is just stupid.

civildawg
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Don't pound your chest when you're right and then say "things change" when you're wrong.

This all day

Coach34
01-06-2016, 05:52 PM

The lesson is dont tell me I'm full of shit when I bring a rumor to the Board- I hit quite often

Schultzy
01-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Kind of excited at the chance Leo will get more early reps.

Loved Beniquez and what a great block for the win at Arkansas this year. Overall, I thought his freshman season was his best.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Really would wish this thread wouldn't turn into a thread about whether C34 was right or not. It's really here nor there & doesn't matter.

What does matter is: why did a guy that clearly won't get drafted, declare?

maroonmania
Kind of excited at the chance Leo will get more early reps.

Loved Beniquez and what a great block for the win at Arkansas this year. Overall, I thought his freshman season was his best.

Beni is an above average college football player but a pro? I just don't see it long term. Would be very curious what kind of draft grade he got back.

Coach34
CJ and Bear I understand. This decision is just stupid.

His stock wont improve by staying- he's not going to get bigger. Alot of these guys are looking to wear an NFL jersey. Leaving early saves a year wear on his body. He's been here 4 years

Irondawg
01-06-2016, 05:55 PM
I don't know whether to be slightly happy for him or if I think he's an idiot. On one hand IF he's got his degree and doesn't want to go to graduate school then why not go ahead and see if you can make it. The extra year probably doesn't do much for him but does have the risk of injury. Downside is you give up a year of what are generally the best years of young man's life.

Now on the flip side if he doesn't have a degree and somebody is pumping his ego and says he's a for sure draft pick then I fear he's going to be sorely disappointed. He's highly unlikely to get a combine invite and I don't think he's going to blow any testing out of the water. So I'm going to be suprised if he's drafted at all. Uphill battle for him for sure.

Meanwhile it does signficantly downgrade our defense for next year.

Coach34
01-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Really would wish this thread wouldn't turn into a thread about whether C34 was right or not. It's really here nor there & doesn't matter.

Oh sure it does. When I get called out and accused of making up shit- its going to get pointed out when it happens

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 05:57 PM
His stock wont improve by staying- he's not going to get bigger. Alot of these guys are looking to wear an NFL jersey. Leaving early saves a year wear on his body. He's been here 4 years

Is our red shirting program beginning to backfire?

If guys are staying for their SR year, you really get nothing out of red shirting them

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 05:58 PM

Its not really about "improving his stock", I just don't see him as much of an NFL prospect so I don't understand why not finish out your college career? I'm wondering if he will even get drafted in the top 5 rounds or at all?

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Oh sure it does. When I get called out and accused of making up shit- its going to get pointed out when it happens

Just wish you wouldn't make it about yourself, when there are actually real issues to discuss.

I don't question your insight, but I am beginning to question why fringe players are leaving our program. BTW Carl Lawson just announced he was coming back to Auburn

Bothrops
01-06-2016, 05:59 PM
If we can get a good coordinator our defense will be better this year. Manny was absolutely awful this time around.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Its not really about "improving his stock", I just don't see him as much of an NFL prospect so I don't understand why not finish out your college career? I'm wondering if he will even get drafted in the top 5 rounds or at all?

Agree. It's basically like we just had a player quit

Statefan
01-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Good lord, what an odd decision.

WTF are our coaches doing?

This guy is going to go undrafted. Beginning to wonder if we are losing some guys that think they are going to get drafted or because they don't want to be here.

The decision makes ZERO sense to me

http://www.geeksandcleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nick-young-confused-face.png

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 06:00 PM

If guys are staying for their SR year, you really get nothing out of red shirting them

This is the first one THIS year where its backfired. But there was JRob and BMac last year. CJ and Bear didn't redshirt so no issue there.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 06:01 PM
I'm beginning to sense & wonder if there is a vacuum of leadership & authority in our program.

With all of our coaches, how are we not able to convince Benny to come back for his SR year?

Schultzy
01-06-2016, 06:01 PM
But he is such a savvy football player he can make a practice squad which pays decent $. More than what most schlubs on message boards I bet, and he has a chance to get called up due to injuries as well. I think it's smart for some guys to go ahead and give it a try even if they're not getting drafted.

Statefan
01-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Maybe his thought process is:

"If I leave this year I will be an undrafted free agent"
"If I leave next year I will still be an undrafted free agent"

Might as well go this year and try to make a team/practice squad instead of going through another year of the college grind and risk injury

Coach34
01-06-2016, 06:03 PM
I don't question your insight, but I am beginning to question why fringe players are leaving our program. BTW Carl Lawson just announced he was coming back to Auburn

He may not want to play for his 4th DC in 5 years

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 06:04 PM
I'm beginning to sense & wonder if there is a vacuum of leadership & authority in our program.

With all of our coaches, how are we not able to convince Benny to come back for his SR year?

Personally I think the way they do the depth chart creates some entitlement. Which I think is the root of why Zach Jackson quit.

At the end of the day though, we will be fine at LB. This means more reps for JT Gray, Jung, Green, and Leo Lewis.

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Might as well go this year and try to make a team/practice squad instead of going through another year of the college grind and risk injury

His thought process should be "what do I have to do to get drafted by the NFL."

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 06:05 PM
But he is such a savvy football player he can make a practice squad which pays decent $. More than what most schlubs on message boards I bet, and he has a chance to get called up due to injuries as well. I think it's smart for some guys to go ahead and give it a try even if they're not getting drafted.

Well, if we've come to the point that we think its good business for players to leave early EVEN if they go undrafted then I guess I'm lost on this whole deal. Guess we probably should stop redshirting ANYONE that can help us at all as a true freshman though or at least slow people down that redshirt where they don't already have their degree after 4 years and feel like they have no reason to stay.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2016, 06:06 PM

Calm down

maroonmania

Apparently not bothering Lawson.

ShotgunDawg

I think this is certainly what happened, but I was hoping that our players would be a little more team oriented than this & have loyalty to their teammates, unless it absolutely made life sense to declare.

defiantdog
What is Benny to gain by staying another year? He has been pondering this for a while now. He's been on the fence about going and decided because he feels he's ready. Ya'll need to calm down and realize you don't have an opinion on his career choice. Just to really add fuel to some of you, Clayborn was / is also on the fence.

MarketingBully
01-06-2016, 06:07 PM
This is a dumb move. Bear and CJ I support. This is not smart.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Calm down

Well explain Dan....

We are losing fringe players that may not get drafted & while Auburn is keeping Carl Lawson & Ole Miss keeping 3 or 4 players that would go higher in the draft than Benny.

bulldawg28

I'm sorry..Can we be friends again? I didn't think he had the balls to pull the trigger.

defiantdog
Apparently not bothering Lawson.

Lawson has a lot to gain by staying another year. He's a dynamic DE that has been plagued by injury. If he can stay healthy and dominate next year, it'll really help his stock. Different situation.

Coach34
Well, if we've come to the point that we think its good business for players to leave early EVEN if they go undrafted then I guess I'm lost on this whole deal. Guess we probably should stop redshirting ANYONE that can help us at all as a true freshman though or at least slow people down that redshirt where they don't already have their degree after 4 years and feel like they have no reason to stay.

We redshirt also to balance classes out. Its not just to mature them. Some guys can still need to R/S but also ready to leave by the R-Jr year- like McKinney. He wouldnt have seen the field as a true Freshman anyway- so redshirting didnt hurt him

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2016, 06:09 PM
What is Benny to gain by staying another year? He has been pondering this for a while now. He's been on the fence about going and decided because he feels he's ready. Ya'll need to calm down and realize you don't have an opinion on his career choice. Just to really add fuel to some of you, Clayborn was / is also on the fence.

I get what your saying, but this doesn't appear to be happening at other places, particularly the teams we play against.

How do you explain that?

vv83
01-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Why do people say these players won't improve their senior year? Every thread I've seen so far about one of the three juniors leaving someone has said he won't get better/benefit by coming back for a senior year so why not leave. If that's true then we need to take a hard look at coaches. CJ I can almost understand. He's very good when he wants to be. Bear I think can improve because he simply is still learning to play the game so he would benefit but with his kid I understand his situation. Brown I completely disagree with, I think he could greatly benefit and get better playing another year in college

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 06:11 PM
We redshirt also to balance classes out. Its not just to mature them. Some guys can still need to R/S but also ready to leave by the R-Jr year- like McKinney. He wouldnt have seen the field as a true Freshman anyway- so redshirting didnt hurt him

Our classes our out of whack. We have small classes followed up by big classes.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 06:11 PM

What do MOST juniors in college football have to gain by coming back for their 5th year? Another chance to play big-time football at the highest level they will probably play at, for the love of the game, to win a championship, etc. 95% (made this % up) of college players aren't going to get drafted but you don't see every junior leaving their junior year just because "i can't improve my stock so why play the game i grew up playing for another year"

Coach34
01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry..Can we be friends again? I didn't think he had the balls to pull the trigger.

hahaha- now thats a retort I can appreciate

bulldawg28
01-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Well explain Dan....

We are losing fringe players that may not get drafted & while Auburn is keeping Carl Lawson & Ole Miss keeping 3 or 4 players that would go higher in the draft than Benny.

Honestly, the talent behind him is better. It puts more athletes on the field. Richie can get the younger guys aligned properly we'll be ok at the LB position.

Schultzy
01-06-2016, 06:13 PM
Well explain Dan....

Probably bc those players have a higher upside with an opportunity to get drafted really higher for big bucks. Beni ain't getting Carl Lawson type money (possible 1st rounder next yr if he stays) Connor for UM is comparable and both would've been drafted very high this year but for injury.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2016, 06:13 PM
Well explain Dan....

Fringe players? We lost 1 guy who made a bad decision. You're talking like 5 guys have left that made horrible decisions.

msstate7
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Maybe this makes moon like us more

HSVDawg
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Beniquez and McKinney are the only ones we have had leave early that were redshirted. At the end of the day, there is no difference in playing only on special teams and in the 4th quarter of blowouts than sitting out. You don't get meaningful production either way, so you might as well roll the dice that you get better initial production when they first hit the field, and maybe they stay all 4 years.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Everyone knows we have better recruits coming in. He was asked to leave**

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Beniquez is the first guy we have had leave early that was redshirted. At the end of the day, there is no difference in playing only on special teams and in the 4th quarter of blowouts than sitting out. You don't get meaningful production either way, so you might as well roll the dice that you get better initial production when they first hit the field, and maybe they stay all 4 years.

Robinson also RSed

defiantdog
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM
I get what your saying, but this doesn't appear to be happening at other places, particularly the teams we play against.

How do you explain that?

Other places? You mean OM right? Bama and LSU lose their entire team every year. I don't think Ohio State has had a senior running back in over a decade. USCw loses players regardless of redshirt and draft stock every year. We aren't the only team that loses underclassmen that aren't "ready" for the NFL. A lot of these guys want the opportunity, and they want it as soon as it's available.

Irondawg
01-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Clayborne?

Schultzy
01-06-2016, 06:19 PM

How do you explain that?
No, they just have their entire QB group transfer out.

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 06:21 PM

Well I can have an OPINION on anything I want. Sorry, but we are at a whole other place when we are supposed to be fine with losing guys early that MIGHT get drafted.

msstate7
01-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Clayborne?

Surely not

Dawgface
01-06-2016, 06:25 PM

What does matter is: why did a guy that clearly won't get drafted, declare?

Or any other similar threads. This crap is what makes this board unreadable at times.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Beginning to wonder if we are losing some guys that think they are going to get drafted or because they don't want to be here.

You want to say what this thread should or shouldn't be, and then post some shit like this^. **** that. Why would you even imply some bullshit like that. Benny was turned from a HS running back into one of the best LB'ers in the SEC...he has no reason not to love MSU. Take that bullshit somewhere else. I'd rather have Coach doing his normal chest thumping over garbage like this all day.

Sacrifice
01-06-2016, 06:29 PM

I'm sure this is not helping

BankerDog
01-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Can we please not bash the kid. Be happy for him. He has a kid he needs to support and lost his dad before he was even born. He probably wants to try to provide for her. He redshirted a year so he has been in school for four years.

I hate our fans sometimes. We always look for the negatives. Be glad we are putting guys on NFL rosters, it's a recruiting pitch. Be glad the guy busted his for four years for us to enjoy.

And I tell you another thing, you better enjoy Leo for three years because he'll be a three year guy too.

BankerDog
01-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Maybe this makes moon like us more

Two different positions dude. Moon is a OLB, Brown ILB.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2016, 06:33 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if it's true that you are an Ole Miss fan and you've just gotten yourself imbedded before trying to stir shit up here recently. You spouting off the wall horse shit on this forum isn't helping a damn thing. Why are you freaking out? This is not that big a deal. Hell I've been wondering how...

Benny
Richie
Gerri
JT
Leo
Washington
Jung

...were going to have snaps divided up bc we're loaded at LB. If there's ever a good place to lose one early, it's here. You need to chill out and quit throwing out wild, dumbass conspiracies, and just realize a Senior year isn't going to benefit him that much, so he's going for it. I'm sure he researched it...it may be a deeper LB class next year, who knows. Quit throwing out stupid shit though.

Sacrifice
01-06-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm just guessing because I have no idea why he'd want to leave but maybe he sees the wrighting on the wall with the younger guys. Green, Leo, etc. They might cut into his playing time next year.

Thick
01-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Who cares that he's leaving? Is it a bad decision? Probably so, but he served this school well on the field and in the classroom and in the public eye. Thanks Beniquez!! Do we have really good talent at this position? Damn right we do, and we'll be fine if not better athletically. Move on guys.

BankerDog
01-06-2016, 06:36 PM
I just guessing because I have no idea why he'd want to leave but maybe he sees the wrighting on the wall with the younger guys. Green, Leo, etc. They might cut into his playing time next year.

It's because he has a kid. He's been in school for FOUR years already. He isn't benefitting by coming back. He was a great 4* Bulldog who did everything asked out of him and stayed out of trouble. Also, it gives us more a chance to Leo early. Because if Leo didn't get to play next year behind Beniquez there would've been a million threads on here asking why saying he should be playing more.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Who cares that he's leaving? Is it a bad decision? Probably so, but he served this school well on the field and in the classroom and in the public eye. Thanks Beniquez!! Do we have really good talent at this position? Damn right we do, and we'll be fine if not better athletically. Move on guys.

Exactly. Not sure why people would freak out over this. We have two of the country's top 5 LB'ers from the last two years that just moved up in the 2 deep...tell me the bad part?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks Benny! Well deserved! The idiots calling you out in this thread are only doing it bc you've been awesome. Best of luck in the NFL...make that $$

Sacrifice
01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
It's because he has a kid. He's been in school for FOUR years already. He isn't benefitting by coming back. He was a great 4* Bulldog who did everything asked out of him and stayed out of trouble. Also, it gives us more a chance to Leo early. Because if Leo didn't get to play next year behind Beniquez there would've been a million threads on here asking why saying he should be playing more.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me**

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Two different positions dude. Moon is a OLB, Brown ILB.

Beni plays OLB for MSU.

smootness
01-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Being a college athlete would totally suck. If you're not great, fans crush you. And if you are great and try to turn that skill into a professional contract before they would like you to, they also crush you.

Taog Redloh
01-06-2016, 07:12 PM
I'll always love Beniquez just because he hat-tricked Auburn.

LC Dawg
01-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Did Beni say he wanted to go ahead and start his long NFL career or is everyone just assuming that's his plan? Maybe he knows he's got a slim chance of making it and he wants to go ahead and try. Maybe he doesn't want to go to school anymore. Maybe he doesn't have any money and wants to try to make a little. The guy may have a plan even though he hasn't shared it with the entire Mississippi State fan base. Let's just wish him luck.

msstate7
01-06-2016, 07:17 PM
If brown makes a practice squad, he'll make more per year than 80% of this board.

Dawgtini
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
If brown makes a practice squad, he'll make more per year than 80% of this board.
Boom!

gravedigger
01-06-2016, 07:32 PM
You know it's all because of Starkville**

Wrong board

Saltydog
01-06-2016, 07:36 PM
stuff about his measurable, etc. but I highly doubt he makes a NFL squad and when he doesn't he gave up a year of schooling that would probably go far in his life. Even if he was to return at some point it's at his own expense.

Saltydog
01-06-2016, 07:45 PM
nt

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Comparing Lawson and Brown is sort of silly. Lawson has first round talent and could really raise his stock if he can be healthy for a season. Brown will be a late rounder or undrafted no matter what.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
This thread shows the difference between being a fan and being able to look at thing objectively.

It's also interesting how no one is even mentioning the injury/concussion concerns that are severely shortening careers of players.

There is no reason for Benni to stick around and play another 13 games and then be a late round pick or undrafted free agent. He has started close to 35 games at MSU, anyone bashing him for wanting to try and get paid for while risking his health is freaking selfish.

EngineerDawg
01-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't understand why people get so worked up over these things... Its merely a game to us but life to these players. Every player's dream is to play in the league... No matter what they might say in public. $600k for one year is better than $40k for 15 years, pre-tax any way.

Saltydog
01-06-2016, 08:25 PM
he will lose a year of scholarship money and likely won't get a degree.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2016, 08:32 PM
He's been here 4 years, maybe he already has his degree or is getting it this semester.

t45fixer
01-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Mullen better get to polishing some Mother Fxxxing rocks.

Really Clark?
01-06-2016, 08:42 PM
I don't fault a player for wanting to live out his dream. For some it doesn't pan out, for others it does. He will always be a part of the family. And I remember when I was that age, parents, mentors, coaches, etc. couldn't have changed my mind once it was set. Right or wrong many of us were and still are that way. Did think this was an interesting tweet from Cox:

To all the juniors that's thinking about entering the draft please be careful with your decision making .... 🤐🤐🤐

He has been there and was a high draft pick. So for some, patience would probably be prudent. Good Luck to the young man though.

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Look, I think its a bad decision, certainly a surprising decision given he's a marginal draft pick at best. But that doesn't mean I don't wish him the best and hope it works out for him or that I consider him any less of a true, loyal Bulldog. Life goes on but next year is becoming much more of a rebuilding year than even most of us thought it would be.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Good Luck to Beni Brown. He played his ass off for 3 years.

Hopefully, this makes it easier for us to move to the 4-2-5 with Richie and Leo in the middle.

Spiderman
"Ok. Well I will bet anyone on this site any amount of money that they would like to throw down that beniquez brown is not leaving. I'm sure I will have tons of takers. Jesus ****ing christ"- Jarius

"Your sources are full of shit. Or you don't have any and are just spewing bs."- Jarius

Maybe Jarius is Engie's twin brother in dumbassery.

Todd4State
Look, I think its a bad decision, certainly a surprising decision given he's a marginal draft pick at best. But that doesn't mean I don't wish him the best and hope it works out for him or that I consider him any less of a true, loyal Bulldog. Life goes on but next year is becoming much more of a rebuilding year than even most of us thought it would be.

I'm in the same boat. I think it's a bad decision on his part. None of these guys declare early with the intention of maybe being on the practice squad in the NFL or "hey, it's no big deal I get to use my degree now" if they don't make it.

But I also don't think it makes Beni less of a Bulldog or anything like that.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm in the same boat. I think it's a bad decision on his part. None of these guys declare early with the intention of maybe being on the practice squad in the NFL or "hey, it's no big deal I get to use my degree now" if they don't make it.

But I also don't think it makes Beni less of a Bulldog or anything like that.

Beni's biggest problem as far as draftablity is his speed. He's only a 4.8/4.9 guy. Having said that, I think he makes a roster.

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Beni's biggest problem as far as draftablity is his speed. He's only a 4.8/4.9 guy. Having said that, I think he makes a roster.

I agree and I think someone in the NFL will give him a chance to play.

Political Hack
01-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Wake me up if Richie Brown declares. If so, I admit it, I'll cry.

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Personally I think the way they do the depth chart creates some entitlement. Which I think is the root of why Zach Jackson quit.

I agree with this. I hate how Mullen labels the older player as the starter, even when the younger player is getting more snaps and is more productive.

FISHDAWG
01-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Well explain Dan....

these are the ramifications of better recruiting and improved success .... the only two that come to mind are Bennie & J Robinson - it's not like it's a landslide