PDA

View Full Version : All Stansbury Team

elitedawgs
01-06-2016, 10:50 AM
With Rick Stansbury coming back to The Hump tonight, lets see who the fan favorites are - poll coming

War Machine Dawg
01-06-2016, 11:57 AM
I went with Z, Bowers, Jamont, Rhodes, and Swat. I think that's the best starting 5 of the available selections. Z was the best pure point and frees Bowers to play the 2. Jamont moves to his natural position at the 3. As good as L-Rob was, Rhodes is better at the 4. Swat at the 5 is a no-brainer. My bench is Stewart, L-Rob, and Winsome.

Side note, lots of great players not available for selection, particularly from the first few Stands teams: Bost, Detrick White, Big Train, etc.

TStationDawg
01-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Jerry Stewart not getting enough love for D alone.

PMDawg
01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Any of them besides Randy Stewart are fine with me. I would go Z at point, Bowers at SG, Winsome at the 3, Austin and Roberts down low. Unstoppable.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-06-2016, 12:24 PM
PG - Z
SG - Bowers
SF - Gordon
PF - Roberts
C - Austin

Puts the most talent on the court

RC3
01-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I thought it was just top five favorite players. Not best starting five

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Powers, Zimmerman, Bowers, Roberts, Austin.

Bullsy
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Riley Benock is not on the ballot. What gives?

LC Dawg
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
I thought it was just top five favorite players. Not best starting five

That's the way I read it so that's the way I voted.

BeardoMSU
01-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Riley Benock is not on the ballot. What gives?

Not to mention Twany Beckam?!?! If he's good enough to play for KY, he's good enough to be on this list!****

KentuckyDawg13
01-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Where is Hood?
#Dukey

Johnson85
01-06-2016, 01:10 PM
I went with Z, Bowers, Jamont, Rhodes, and Swat. I think that's the best starting 5 of the available selections. Z was the best pure point and frees Bowers to play the 2. Jamont moves to his natural position at the 3. As good as L-Rob was, Rhodes is better at the 4. Swat at the 5 is a no-brainer. My bench is Stewart, L-Rob, and Winsome.

Side note, lots of great players not available for selection, particularly from the first few Stands teams: Bost, Detrick White, Big Train, etc.

No. I loved Rhodes, but Lawrence Roberts was better from the 4 or 5. Charles probably had a better drop step, everything else Roberts is even or better.

If I was going to put together what I thought would be the best starting line up, Lawrence Roberts is a no brainer. Then the question is do you go with Rhodes for offense or Jarvis for D. Rhodes and Roberts would give you two players that are good from teh high or low post. That really opens up what you can do with your offense to have two interchangeable post players like that and both are adequate at D. I'd probably have to go with Jarvis. He was a game changer on D and he'd be adequate on O.

Then I think the question is Frazier, Shane Powers, or Jamont Gordon at the 3. I'd have to rule out Jamont just because I'm not sure he's as good of a fit. I think Frazier and Powers would be better at spacing the floor, which is probably more important when you haev Roberts in the post. Between Frazier and Powers, Frazier was better at getting in passing lanes and was a streakier shooter. Shane was better playing straight up D on the ball and was more consistent at shooting. I think I'd take Powers with the idea that with Roberts in the post, it's more important to consistently keep people honest on D. On the other hand, Frazier could really get aggressive with his off the ball D with Varnado behind him. I think I'd stick with Powers but it would be close.

At one of the guard spots, I'd go with Timmy. All around best guard on the board and did play PG at times. Then the question is do you want to match him with a true point like Zimmerman, or let Timmy play the point and use Frazier or let Timmy and Jamont both be combo guards. I think I'd go with Jamont. As good as Zimmerman was, his shooting wasn't good enough to space the floor. Jamont was as good or better shooter and gives you added size. And when he wanted to, he really could play good D even against PGs. Plus if you go with Shane, Timmy, and Jamont, you have three perimeter players that all can bring the ball up the floor if necessary and all are big enough to play the 3 if necessary.

So,

1- Jamont
2- Timmy
3- Shane
4- Lawrence Roberts
5- Varnado

Bully13
01-06-2016, 01:28 PM
One thing you have to admit is that Stansbury put some tough teams on the court. There were some years it seemed we never lost the rebound contests. I would like to see that type of relentless effort on the boards return to MSU hoops.

Dawg496
01-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Bowers, Frazier, Jamont, Roberts, Swat

smootness
01-06-2016, 02:07 PM
One thing you have to admit is that Stansbury put some tough teams on the court. There were some years it seemed we never lost the rebound contests. I would like to see that type of relentless effort on the boards return to MSU hoops.

There's no doubt about that, but it was already long gone by the time Stans left.

YoungB
01-06-2016, 02:23 PM
To me the the easy is

1.Gordon
2. Bowers

4- Roberts
5- Varnado

but then the next best player is Mario which doesn't fit.

louisvilledawg
01-06-2016, 02:24 PM
No love for Marcus Campbell or Wesley Morgan????

What about Piotr Stelmach or SLEEPY SLATER lol

Rayburn8
01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
No Renardo Sidney? List is shit.***

In all seriousness I need some Dee Bost on this list. Probably my second favorite Stans player behind Swat.

Drewbowski
01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Write in for Iggy and Branden Vincent. MI and BV were both HUGE omissions.

Bubb Rubb
01-06-2016, 02:39 PM

THIS. Vincent is one of the most underrated players to ever play at State. His athleticism and ability to play at the top of that 1-2-2 full court press Stans ran that one year single handedly won several games for us.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Mario could get a big bucket any time that he wanted to. Pair him with Roberts for rebounding and D and that is an awesome front court. Love Jarvis, but he wouldn't start on this team.

elitedawgs
01-06-2016, 02:42 PM
VBulletin only let us put 10 in the poll. Yes, there are many more we would like to have in the poll.

tcdog70
01-06-2016, 02:56 PM

I'm with you except I wanted the smarts of Shane instead of Zim.. Jmoney at the 3 where he should have been.

Dawg496
01-06-2016, 03:24 PM
VBulletin only let us put 10 in the poll. Yes, there are many more we would like to have in the poll.

There's a setting in:

ACP -> vBulletin Options -> Poll & Thread Rating Options -> Maximum Poll Options

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 03:36 PM
I didn't make the best starting lineup I just picked the best 5 imo.

Bowers
Austin
Roberts
Rhodes
Varnado

louisvilledawg
01-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Speaking of a 1-2-2 press, how about PHIL F*CKING TURNER with the one man press. Didn't even need the other 4 players. Dude was just pressuring the ball 24/7 on out of bounds plays. That dude was relentless haha

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Speaking of a 1-2-2 press, how about PHIL F*CKING TURNER with the one man press. Didn't even need the other 4 players. Dude was just pressuring the ball 24/7 on out of bounds plays. That dude was relentless haha

Tough player. Really good effort guy. Stansbury had him playing the 4 and he was about 6'2. I liked Turner. It was a shame what happened with him and Bury his senior year. Michael Gholar and Brandon Vincent were two more Stansbury players I liked. Dee Bost was a good player he just hated Bury.

sleepy dawg
01-06-2016, 05:50 PM
To me the the easy is

1.Gordon
2. Bowers

4- Roberts
5- Varnado

but then the next best player is Mario which doesn't fit.

I just voted for my favorite 5 regardless of how it fit. It was called a fan favorite poll after all.

archdog
01-06-2016, 05:54 PM
5 - Lawrence Roberts
4 - Mario Austin
3- Jamont Gordon
2 - Winsome Frazier
1 - Timmy Bowers running point.

Blackout
01-06-2016, 08:20 PM
So,

1- Jamont
2- Timmy
3- Shane
4- Lawrence Roberts
5- Varnado

Mine exactly

msstate7
01-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Love Vincent