PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's 247 On Tucker/UGA

Big4Dawg
01-05-2016, 11:40 PM
"After speaking to several people connected in the college coaching world the consensus is Tucker will be leaving for UGA as DC. Nobody states this for fact and ultimately this could turn out not to be true but there is the educated guess based on 1-the fact there isn't even a candidate being mentioned for the UGA DC job which is unheard of 2-there wouldn't be a reason for Smart to wait in naming his new DC except for the season of the coach he is going to hire to end and out of respect. If its from the college ranks that leaves Bama and Clemson.

This morning sources at UGA and UA agree that is quite possible that it could be Tucker. Again nobody says its a done deal but there is a certain confidence that it is Tucker because he is a good fit for Smart as far as his experience and working relationship. Tucker did a great job at Alabama.

As always its a coaching search and often times these things go back and forth but if Tucker has an opportunity to be a DC it will be really hard for him to pass up. Also there is the possibility that Mississippi State would be interested in at least interviewing him as well. One NFL front office guy told me that Mel Tucker is an extremely hot commodity with a great reputation.

You guys know we do not like to stir up rumors but there is enough smoke here to warrant us to watch the situation closely. And again not saying a done deal but there are several people we respect who agree with this."

http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/116/Contents/Note-on-Mel-Tucker-42571349

This might not mean anything but one thing: no one knows anything.

msstate7
01-05-2016, 11:45 PM
I want Allen and Buckley anyway

Coach34
01-05-2016, 11:46 PM
We've known its a battle for Tucker and we have been discussing money. Curious to see who our plan B is

bulldawg28
01-05-2016, 11:48 PM
We've known its a battle for Tucker and we have been discussing money. Curious to see who our plan B is

?????

deltadawg99
01-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Nate Woody
Tom Allen
Paul Rhodes
Chad Glasgow

Those are my choices in no particular order. All are proven as DCs.

Nate Woody deserves a long look based on his results IMO.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Rosie is saying Thompson is out per folks at work.

Big4Dawg
01-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Rosie is saying Thompson is out per folks at work.

He was my favorite candidate from the pure recruiting/splash hire. He could probably help a lot with #TheLackofNetwork

Really Clark?
01-05-2016, 11:58 PM
Nate Woody
Tom Allen
Paul Rhodes
Chad Glasgow

Those are my choices in no particular order. All are proven as DCs.

Nate Woody deserves a long look based on his results IMO.

I know Rhoads is up for the HC job at Texas State. Glasgow probably needs another year or two as co-DC at TCU to revamp his reputation. His Texas Tech job was pretty bad. 117th in the country in scoring defense.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Crossing my fingers for Allen and Buckley. To me those are the best two on the board if Thompson is out of the equation. Allen's impact on the OM defense was pretty big in 2014....and Buckley just seems like a good fit, and I think beyond being a good coach, he will also give us another recruiter that can relate to these players in the Southeast better than the Yankee squad. Plus, I'm interested in seeing he and DeShea work together in the secondary.

Make it happen, Dan!

deltadawg99
01-06-2016, 12:08 AM
Question about Allen. Do we have the personnel to run the 4-2-5 that he has been running?

Really Clark?
01-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Question about Allen. Do we have the personnel to run the 4-2-5 that he has been running?

We ran it good bit at the end of the season with Peters playing that Husky role but not as much as much during the bowl game.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2016, 12:12 AM

I would think so. Peters would make a great "Rover" i think.

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 12:17 AM
I figured that Tucker would go to Georgia simply because he is familiar with Smart- which is totally understandable. It's a safer move for him since he knows what he would be getting into.

And to be honest, I would be pretty leery of him bringing Marc Snyder in. He was bad as a DC at Texas A&M and who knows how much input he would have on play calling? And he is another coach that is more of a Northern guy. I'm not sure how good of a recruiter he would be.

We need a guy that is a creative DC, and I think that's what Tom Allen is. The fact that he has a lot of insight into how Ole Miss does things is a nice extra. I'm sure he knows how Freeze and Wommack like to do things and that might help offset our Thanksgiving vacation that we insist on giving the team every year.

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 12:21 AM

Absolutely! And it might actually fit our personnel better to be honest.

DE- Green
DT- James
DT- Adams
DE- AJ

LB- The Brown brothers

DOG- Peters

CB- Giles
CB- Durr

SS- Coman
FS- Bryant

Not to mention Jeffrey Simmons would play right away, Calvin, JT Gray, Leo Lewis, Jung, McLaurin, Smokey, and Tolando are all guys that certainly could play a lot next year as well.

Todd4State
01-06-2016, 12:22 AM
I would think so. Peters would make a great "Rover" i think.

We need to get him on the field more. I think he is a three year guy.

War Machine Dawg
01-06-2016, 10:41 AM

DE- Green
DT- James
DT- Adams
DE- AJ

LB- The Brown brothers

DOG- Peters

CB- Giles
CB- Durr

SS- Coman
FS- Bryant

Not to mention Jeffrey Simmons would play right away, Calvin, JT Gray, Leo Lewis, Jung, McLaurin, Smokey, and Tolando are all guys that certainly could play a lot next year as well.

No, no it wouldn't. We could run it, but we don't have the safety depth for it. Plus the absolute strength of our D is the LB corp and it's not even debatable. But in Todd's world, taking a LB off the field 90% of the time and replacing him with a S is the best fit for our personnel.

And suggesting Tolando won't start over Durr is laughable. You know how we do things in the program. Tolando won't "play a lot next year", he's going to start. Just like Holloway is going to start next year come hell or high water. Upperclassmen reap the benefits of being a development program while the underclassmen sit on the pine and watch, regardless of whether or not they're ready. And hell, Durr isn't even the best young CB we have - that's Smitherman. So if you're going to talk out of your ass about who might start over Tolando next year, at least go with Smitherman or even Smokey, who I think will make a big jump in the offseason.

Damn people, use your heads.

Jack Lambert
01-06-2016, 11:01 AM

It would be funny if we out bided GA. If it about money we better have a good plan b.

msstate7
01-06-2016, 11:06 AM
It would be funny if we out bided GA. If it about money we better have a good plan b.

We'd probably have to way outbid Georgia. Georgia is a better job and it's really not close

Dawgtini
01-06-2016, 11:18 AM
We'd probably have to way outbid Georgia. Georgia is a better job and it's really not close

As a HC job, yeah, I agree. As a DC job under Smart? Not so sure. Would Smart (like Saban) get credit if the D does well? How about taking HailState D from 35ish to top 10-15 for a couple of years? I would think the DC would get all of the credit for that improvement and any DC has to know that our offense will score under Mullen.

msstate7
01-06-2016, 11:25 AM
As a HC job, yeah, I agree. As a DC job under Smart? Not so sure. Would Smart (like Saban) get credit if the D does well? How about taking HailState D from 35ish to top 10-15 for a couple of years? I would think the DC would get all of the credit for that improvement and any DC has to know that our offense will score under Mullen.

I'm thinking from the talent you have to work with, sec east, and recruiting pool you'd work in

yjnkdawg
01-06-2016, 02:05 PM

With Smart and Tucker working together at Bama, then that would be a definite plus too. Some say Tucker was Saban's best coaching hire.

DCdawg
01-06-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't know much about either and haven't seen them mentioned, but looks like Pendergast (saw his name mentioned last year) is headed to USCw and John Jancek is out at UT Knox.

smootness
01-06-2016, 02:37 PM

DE- Green
DT- James
DT- Adams
DE- AJ

LB- The Brown brothers

DOG- Peters

CB- Giles
CB- Durr

SS- Coman
FS- Bryant

Calvin will almost certainly start next year and would definitely be a better option there than Green. I don't really understand the fascination with moving Green to DE. He has the size to do it, but we have no idea if his other attributes will work there. He will be a great LB, however.