PDA

View Full Version : With Bear & Jones declaring

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
where do we make up those two lost scholarships? Do we ever sign transfers in football? Can we sign 2 more now for this class? Seems like we could cherry pick two OL that started as freshman in the MAC or CUSA etc.. Thoughts?

ScoobaDawg
01-05-2016, 04:47 PM
where do we make up those two lost scholarships? Do we ever sign transfers in football? Can we sign 2 more now for this class? Seems like we could cherry pick two OL that started as freshman in the MAC or CUSA etc.. Thoughts?

Did you really just suggest we go recruit players actively on a roster at a "MAC or CUSA etc..."

You don't do that.... If a player wants to transer and sit out a year for some reason... but NO.. you dont go recruit players to transfer
What another wonderful idea of yours..

We will sign two more and those were already being calculated in you can be assured.

HSVDawg
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
By my count, we only lose 12 scholarship seniors this year (only 11 if Malone comes back), so Bear and CJ leaving only gets us a small portion of the way towards signing a full class this year. Transfers is probably the last thing we need with us having as many guys coming off redshirt as we do, unless they are impact OL.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-05-2016, 04:58 PM
WOW

RiverCityDawg
01-05-2016, 05:12 PM
I heard Fallou was going to get one of the "lost scholarships", but Tookie was not. Any thoughts on that?

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
I'm scared Bear just screwed up his life big time. I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do and will be pulling for him harder than anyone else because I think he's going to need a lot of support. Absolutely hate that he made this decision.

Todd4State
01-05-2016, 05:21 PM
I'm scared Bear just screwed up his life big time. I hope I'm wrong. I really, really do and will be pulling for him harder than anyone else because I think he's going to need a lot of support. Absolutely hate that he made this decision.

I was more worried about Josh Robinson to be honest with you. No doubt Bear gets drafted and I think he will be fine.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
By my count, we only lose 12 scholarship seniors this year (only 11 if Malone comes back), so Bear and CJ leaving only gets us a small portion of the way towards signing a full class this year. Transfers is probably the last thing we need with us having as many guys coming off redshirt as we do, unless they are impact OL.

Correct and we played, what, 15 freshmen this year? I think we're one of the youngest teams in the league.

GreenheadDawg
01-05-2016, 05:28 PM

I agree. I really hope he lands with a team that will put the time in to help him succeed. Treadwell is ready for NFL, Bear is not. He's a great receiver but he could be ELITE. But I'm afraid NFL DB's are gonna eat his lunch

Irondawg
01-05-2016, 05:35 PM
I think the thought was we keep seeing all the graduate QB's transferring around that isn't there some all-conference OL somewhere that might want to prove he can play with the big boys and come over for a year while working on his grad degree? It's actually not a terrible idea.

Mjoelner34
01-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Correct and we played, what, 15 freshmen this year? I think we're one of the youngest teams in the league.

I don't remember the number but I remember hearing during one game that only UGA (among only SEC teams) played more freshmen than we did this year.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 06:02 PM
I think the thought was we keep seeing all the graduate QB's transferring around that isn't there some all-conference OL somewhere that might want to prove he can play with the big boys and come over for a year while working on his grad degree? It's actually not a terrible idea.

Thank you. Scooba just has a hard on for me. It's cute.

Coach34
01-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Bear will catch at least 30 passes next year and make over 500K. Hard to say thats "screwing up your life"

bulldawg28
01-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Bear will catch at least 30 passes next year and make over 500K. Hard to say thats "screwing up your life"

this. A Philadelphia Eagle Scout came to our game and was very impressed with bear and knew he was turning pro. He suggested he has a legitimate shot of a long professional career.

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 07:33 PM

If he makes a roster he'll make over 500, but I seriously doubt he catches 30 balls as a rookie.

Taog Redloh
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Stupid thread. We are losing a small amount of players in general next year, even with the juniors. Plus, this isn't exactly unexpected regarding Bear and Jones.

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Stupid thread. We are losing a small amount of players in general next year, even with the juniors. Plus, this isn't exactly unexpected regarding Bear and Jones.

Lol. I think people can agree with that, but we still want to acknowledge their decision and wish them luck too. Some of us are upset they left because we think it may have been better for them to wait and earn more money next year, but we're still excited for them. They were great dawgs and ambassadors of the university. Never really got into any bad trouble, always played solid and even great at times. Bear has completely taken over games and CJ was as disruptive as you could ask down the stretch of this season. Would've been fun to see what they could've done as Sr's.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Really? I'd really like to know the rule on if you can add two more to the signing class because players leave early. I'm thinking not so that's why I'm asking for transfers to make up that loss.

Coach34
01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Really? I'd really like to know the rule on if you can add two more to the signing class because players leave early. I'm thinking not so that's why I'm asking for transfers to make up that loss.

The signing class is based on our numbers of schollys. Those two leaving early open up 2 schollys. We can fill those with HS guys, jucos, or transfers. It's up to us. It's all about having 85 guys on scholly come August 1st

OurState
01-05-2016, 09:12 PM

My understanding is you can only sign 25 per class. You can back count or grey shirt or blue shirt to get around that.

You can also only have 85 on scholarship at any time.

So if you sign 25 every year and redshirt 12 then you have 112 on scholarship and need 27 guys over 5 classes to leave.

Someone knows this better than I do...

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 09:36 PM
The signing class is based on our numbers of schollys. Those two leaving early open up 2 schollys. We can fill those with HS guys, jucos, or transfers. It's up to us. It's all about having 85 guys on scholly come August 1st

But they have become more strict with it since Ole Miss and UT signed like 38 guys one year. I really think the only way to make up those losses is to either award them to walkons or get transfers. Anyone name the last transfer we received? I can't.

Taog Redloh
01-05-2016, 09:46 PM
The point is we are only losing like 16 guys, NFL draftees included. We are more than making up for that loss with the incoming recruits. In other words, we aren't in a position where we have to 'make up' for a loss, in 2015, to fill out our roster. Maybe next year, since we'll be losing 32 seniors, plus any underclassmen.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 09:59 PM
The point is we are only losing like 16 guys, NFL draftees included. We are more than making up for that loss with the incoming recruits. In other words, we aren't in a position where we have to 'make up' for a loss, in 2015, to fill out our roster. Maybe next year, since we'll be losing 32 seniors, plus any underclassmen.

You never stop trimming the fat. Can we get a transfer that is better than the 85th guy on scholarship?

Taog Redloh
01-05-2016, 10:31 PM
You never stop trimming the fat. Can we get a transfer that is better than the 85th guy on scholarship?

We should be doing that anyway.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 11:36 PM
We should be doing that anyway.

We aren't thus the thread. Name me the last football transfer we've gotten. I can't can you?

Really Clark?
01-05-2016, 11:44 PM
We aren't thus the thread. Name me the last football transfer we've gotten. I can't can you?

The LB from Clemson?

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 12:06 AM
The LB from Clemson?

I think that may be correct. That was like what four years ago? Gotta fill the two holes that just left and you can't do it by signing an extra two to this class. That leaves only transfers or gifting the scholarships to walk-ons. I don't think skill players should be targeted from smaller conferences but a freshman OL that started for Bowling Green or Toledo for example is most definitely better than your 85th player. Just gotta be a little sneaky about it but we are going to have to bend the rules somewhere if we are forced to compete against the shadiest ****ing school in the nation in our own backyard.

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 12:52 AM
Gotta fill the two holes that just left and you can't do it by signing an extra two to this class.

You can fill the holes by signing extra recruits, as long as you don't exceed 25 signees. In other words, the size of our class is being limited by the 85 scholarship cap, not the 25 signee cap.

For example:

If Team A has a full 85 players on scholarship and they lose 20 players to graduation/attrition and 3 juniors declare early for the draft, then they can sign 23 recruits to get back to the limit of 85 scholarship players.

If Team B has a full 85 players on scholarship and they lose 25 players to graduation/attrition and 3 juniors declare early for the draft, then they will not be able to fill the 3 holes that were left by the juniors because they are limited to 25 signees per class.

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 01:38 AM
You can fill the holes by signing extra recruits, as long as you don't exceed 25 signees. In other words, the size of our class is being limited by the 85 scholarship cap, not the 25 signee cap.

For example:

If Team A has a full 85 players on scholarship and they lose 20 players to graduation/attrition and 3 juniors declare early for the draft, then they can sign 23 recruits to get back to the limit of 85 scholarship players.

If Team B has a full 85 players on scholarship and they lose 25 players to graduation/attrition and 3 juniors declare early for the draft, then they will not be able to fill the 3 holes that were left by the juniors because they are limited to 25 signees per class.

We should always sign 25 a year imo

FISHDAWG
01-06-2016, 08:45 AM

can't be ... I was corrected when I said that THIS year was rebuilding .... all because we had a talented senior QB

Coach34
01-06-2016, 09:10 AM
can't be ... I was corrected when I said that THIS year was rebuilding .... all because we had a talented senior QB

our starting 22 Had 1 player below a Jr on it- that's not rebuilding

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2016, 10:06 AM
our starting 22 Had 1 player below a Jr on it- that's not rebuilding

How many of those guys were actually SEC starters and how many were just playing until our young talented guys got up to speed?

Taog Redloh
01-06-2016, 10:31 AM

For example:

Thank you. Dawg61 obviously can't follow this. We are ahead of the 8-ball when it comes to stocking the roster.

mcain31
01-06-2016, 10:45 AM
The LB from Clemson?

Brandon Maye is his name

mcain31
01-06-2016, 10:48 AM

For example:

Couldn't grad transfers fill the 3 extra spots on Team B?

notoriousdog
01-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Screwed up his life?? Pump the brakes. One more year of college ball isn't going to make a huge difference with Bear. Sure, he's still pretty raw, but he's going to be drafted and make a team. Even if he doesn't play much as a rookie, he'll be getting NFL coaching and making money. If he flames out in the NFL it won't be because he came out early.

Coach34
01-06-2016, 11:47 AM
How many of those guys were actually SEC starters and how many were just playing until our young talented guys got up to speed?

All 21 were SEC starters- we put them out there and they started

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2016, 11:59 AM

LOL Ok

Johnson85
01-06-2016, 12:03 PM

While you're right that this wasn't our rebuilding year, your argument isn't helped by claiming that having somebody like Warren start at LT is a sign that we're not rebuilding. We had Warren, Shump, Coman, and Jackson (did he start?) that basically support the idea that this was a rebuilding year. And losing Market early I guess you can add the other safety position too.

On the flip side, we had a returning QB, 4 OL with considerable game experience, two upper classmen CBs, two upper classmen at the other two LB spots, and experience across the DL. Even worse, it's pretty much certain that Coman will still play a big role next year and Shump may very well also.

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Couldn't grad transfers fill the 3 extra spots on Team B?

I would think so, but I'm not positive about that.

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Thank you. Dawg61 obviously can't follow this. We are ahead of the 8-ball when it comes to stocking the roster.

The attrition should never come from your signing class. In other words you should never ever sign less than 25 just so you can fit 85. Would an NFL team not use all its draft picks so that it can be at 53 guys? Hell no but that's what you're saying MSU should do by not signing the max 25 every year.

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 04:16 PM
The attrition should never come from your signing class. In other words you should never ever sign less than 25 just so you can fit 85. Would an NFL team not use all its draft picks so that it can be at 53 guys? Hell no but that's what you're saying MSU should do by not signing the max 25 every year.

That's certainly the philosophy Cohen follows. He certainly doesn't let the scholly limitation handcuff him. He signs all the players he wants to sign and then lets them compete in the Fall to get a spot on the team. I'm not for Mullen cutting guys left and right but he certainly could be more agressive on helping some guys find a landing spot to transfer to rather than just occupy a roster spot for us for 4 or 5 years while making little to no contribution to the team.

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 04:32 PM
That's certainly the philosophy Cohen follows. He certainly doesn't let the scholly limitation handcuff him. He signs all the players he wants to sign and then lets them compete in the Fall to get a spot on the team. I'm not for Mullen cutting guys left and right but he certainly could be more agressive on helping some guys find a landing spot to transfer to rather than just occupy a roster spot for us for 4 or 5 years while making little to no contribution to the team.

Most of the time the players cut themselves or quit/transfer/get arrested etc.. so you really only have to trim a couple spots every year and those should be the guys that just aren't quite SEC players but never ever should you keep that player on and instead just sign one less guy in your signing class. That is lazy coaching/recruiting. I expect a full 25 signed every single year and I expect Mullen to replace early draftees with some transfers.

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Most of the time the players cut themselves or quit/transfer/get arrested etc.. so you really only have to trim a couple spots every year and those should be the guys that just aren't quite SEC players but never ever should you keep that player on and instead just sign one less guy in your signing class. That is lazy coaching/recruiting. I expect a full 25 signed every single year and I expect Mullen to replace early draftees with some transfers.

Mullen will always make room for high level recruits. But you don't yank scholarships just for the sake of bringing in a new face......that is bad business and it wouldn't play well with the team.

Dawg61
01-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Mullen will always make room for high level recruits. But you don't yank scholarships just for the sake of bringing in a new face......that is bad business and it wouldn't play well with the team.

Bad business is guaranteeing a high school signee he can stay as long as he wants no matter how shitty of a player he turns out to be. You aren't cutting the 25th best player you are cutting the 85th best player for the chance your new signee is better than him. Oh and if you can't sign a better player than the worst player on your team you're a shit recruiter and you don't deserve to be a HC in the SEC.

maroonmania
01-06-2016, 05:49 PM

Ask Nick Saban if its bad business.

sandwolf
01-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Ask Nick Saban if its bad business.

Saban is making room for elite talent.....and as I said in my original post, Mullen would do the same thing if he were in that situation. But it would be pretty shitty to make a practice of running off your players and replacing them with recruits that aren't obvious upgrades.