PDA

View Full Version : Taking too long with the hire?

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Are we taking too long to replace our defensive staff? I don't track other schools openings like I do ours, but it seems like we take our time making hires. It's smart to be prudent and get the best guy, but it seems like there's some room to speed things up.

I wonder if UGA is somehow in play for Tucker and that's what's holding things up.

ShotgunDawg
01-05-2016, 01:13 PM
I don't think so. There's not much to be gained between announcing now or by next week.

Who knows if another team is in negotiations with someone we want or not.

The key is to get the right guy & make sure they are here for the first weekend of visits.

Big4Dawg
01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
UGA thinks Tucker is already theirs.

Big4Dawg
01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=mel%20tucker%20&src=typd

Really Clark?
01-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Not at all. Even if it's a week from now it's good. The coaches convention is this weekend anyway.

Jack Lambert
01-05-2016, 01:46 PM
There's a lot of legal and other stuff that goes on in a contract. A lot of negotiations.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 01:58 PM
We're just being polite and letting everyone else hire the good ones first. We can't forget our spot in the pecking order. SS will make sure we don't upset the SEC headquarters.**

Dawg496
01-05-2016, 02:03 PM
If it's Tucker we may be waiting until after the NC to announce?

Really Clark?
01-05-2016, 02:04 PM
We're just being polite and letting everyone else hire the good ones first. We can't forget our spot in the pecking order. SS will make sure we don't upset the SEC headquarters.**

What? Manny just left. Good grief.

deltadawg99
01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Manny hasn't been gone 72 hours, so no we aren't waiting too long.

If we don't have anything concrete by Thursday or Friday I'll be concerned.

HancockCountyDog
01-05-2016, 02:12 PM
If it's Tucker we may be waiting until after the NC to announce?

Yes.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Have they had the coaches convention yet? That is when we do all the hiring every year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Have they had the coaches convention yet? That is when we do all the hiring every year.

Jan 10th - 13th in San Antonio

Bothrops
01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
We'll wait until our remaining prospects are off the board, then announce a blah hire.**

War Machine Dawg
01-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Manny left Saturday afternoon. It's Tuesday afternoon. Hell no we aren't taking too long. If we don't have a DC in a week from now, THEN we're taking too long. But complaining about not having a DC in just 3 days is nuts. I always felt like today was a little overly optimistic goal for having a DC in place. Have some patience.

ETA: Good point that if it's Tucker we may be waiting until after the NC to make the announcement. We can cash in on the press if Bama wins.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2016, 03:12 PM
As long as we have a DC by next Thursday we didn't wait too long.

basedog
01-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Some of you need to step away from posting. Not sure if some are trying to be funny but to keep bashing your favorite team is almost like beating your wife and kids mainly over nothing or what is really going on. Damn.
Nothing wrong with opinions but to keep saying or thinking we suck SUCKS!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 03:44 PM
What? Manny just left. Good grief.

Easy there Nancy, check the asterisks.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM

What's next Thursday?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2016, 03:46 PM
What's next Thursday?

When the dead period ends.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Some of you need to step away from posting. Not sure if some are trying to be funny but to keep bashing your favorite team is almost like beating your wife and kids mainly over nothing or what is really going on. Damn.

LOL maybe you need to take a break. Hanging on every word that passes a message board can lead to a short life.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 03:48 PM
When the dead period ends.

Sorry if it's been discussed, is there no contact from coaches but the kids can contact the coaches?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Sorry if it's been discussed, is there no contact from coaches but the kids can contact the coaches?

Correct but the 14th is the next time for face to face contact.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 03:51 PM

No contact for our coaches. Ole Miss can do whatever they please though.

basedog
01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
LOL maybe you need to take a break. Hanging on every word that passes a message board can lead to a short life.

As u can c by how many post I have I don't get involved in every post. My point is to the immature kids who are sucking their thumb riding in the back seat of their mommy' car askin "are we there yet"?

Where is the patience?

Op4isabitch
01-05-2016, 04:05 PM

Hey Paul,
Do you mean this Thursday?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Correct but the 14th is the next time for face to face contact.
So could they tweet or facebook with them now?

Mjoelner34
01-05-2016, 04:20 PM
So could they tweet or facebook with them now?

Not sure but I know you can tweet them but only if your name is Anal-ease Presley.

MSUDawg99
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Are we taking too long to replace our defensive staff? I don't track other schools openings like I do ours, but it seems like we take our time making hires. It's smart to be prudent and get the best guy, but it seems like there's some room to speed things up.

I wonder if UGA is somehow in play for Tucker and that's what's holding things up.

Supposed to be an announcement by end of the week or early part of next week supposedly is what I heard yesterday.

Spiderman
01-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Not yet, but it does suck to have 2 recruiters missing. Leaves u pretty short handed.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Hey Paul,
Do you mean this Thursday?

Not Paul but I mean next Thursday when the dead period ends.

Coach34
01-05-2016, 06:59 PM
There is no "dead period" anymore. Good recruiters are in contact every day with their top targets.

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Who said we suck? I didn't say I think we're taking long. It was a question. I don't know how long it takes other teams. Michigan seemed to go get the guy from BC pretty quick... Like they already had him identified and prioritized that over everything else. I feel like we go about our business and make hires later than other schools, but I don't have much of a frame of reference.

Political Hack
01-08-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm now beginning to think we're taking too long. If we waited this long it better be a damn grand slam hire.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm now beginning to think we're taking too long. If we waited this long it better be a damn grand slam hire.

Why? What's the difference in hiring somebody yesterday & say this coming Tuesday?

defiantdog
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Why? What's the difference in hiring somebody yesterday & say this coming Tuesday?

May not have any implications on this situation, but it could mean the difference of hiring your first choice compared to your fifth choice.

Coach34
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM

every day is a lost day recruiting. Hiring at the last minute before recruiting weekends has the coach spending too much time doing a thousand things as a new hire

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 03:04 PM
every day is a lost day recruiting. Hiring at the last minute before recruiting weekends has the coach spending too much time doing a thousand things as a new hire

Yea but it's not like we're not recruiting & their position coach & Mullen are on the main targets (AJ, Simmons, Knott, etc). Yea I'd like a coach today but I don't think these 3 days will cost us a commit from anybody.

confucius say
01-08-2016, 03:24 PM
May have another interview set up at the afca conference this weekend

Political Hack
01-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Yea but it's not like we're not recruiting & their position coach & Mullen are on the main targets (AJ, Simmons, Knott, etc). Yea I'd like a coach today but I don't think these 3 days will cost us a commit from anybody.

We're giving the new hire zero time to have an impact in this class. Say we grabbed a Tucker (not happening obviously), but he could've potentially brought a new recruit or two with him. Give them time to do their jobs. Most kids aren't going to reschedule trips, change OVs, etc... the last second. I'd love to see TB go find a few of those kids that he had making 41 INTs the last two seasons and get them in for an OV. We need to let the new DC have that chance too.

As C34 said, every day we burn is a day lost on the recruiting trail. And I have a feeling you know how intense the day to day drama is this time of year.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-08-2016, 03:29 PM
We're giving the new hire zero time to have an impact in this class. Say we grabbed a Tucker (not happening obviously), but he could've potentially brought a new recruit or two with him. Give them time to do their jobs. Most kids aren't going to reschedule trips, change OVs, etc... the last second. I'd love to see TB go find a few of those kids that he had making 41 INTs the last two seasons and get them in for an OV. We need to let the new DC have that chance too.

As C34 said, every day we burn is a day lost on the recruiting trail. And I have a feeling you know how intense the day to day drama is this time of year.

I definitely get what you guys are saying about the timing. I just think if a kid is really interested in following a certain coach a few days won't be a deal breaker.

Political Hack
01-09-2016, 09:04 AM
I definitely get what you guys are saying about the timing. I just think if a kid is really interested in following a certain coach a few days won't be a deal breaker.

Probably not. The more time they have to develop familiarity with the kids and their families, the better though. Ultimately hiring the best coach is the most important thing, but it would be nice if we could do that while also expressing a sense of urgency. I feel like we're huddling down 14 with under 3 minutes left.

Swami Dawg
01-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Probably not. The more time they have to develop familiarity with the kids and their families, the better though. Ultimately hiring the best coach is the most important thing, but it would be nice if we could do that while also expressing a sense of urgency. I feel like we're huddling down 14 with under 3 minutes left.

Dear Hack,

I too am finding myself in urgency about the DC at MSU football coaching position hiring. Times like this I have to be reminding my self of this quote from Swami Paulo Coelho.

“The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.”

It may being the frustrating not knowing details right at the moment. However it will soon be announced of the new DC and we will need to be having courage to support who it is the new DC and believing Coach Mullen did good job in finding right person.

Perhaps it helps knowing you are not being alone in having little patience as there are many of us in the boat together.

Swami

Political Hack
01-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Dear Hack,

I too am finding myself in urgency about the DC at MSU football coaching position hiring. Times like this I have to be reminding my self of this quote from Swami Paulo Coelho.

“The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.”

It may being the frustrating not knowing details right at the moment. However it will soon be announced of the new DC and we will need to be having courage to support who it is the new DC and believing Coach Mullen did good job in finding right person.

Perhaps it helps knowing you are not being alone in having little patience as there are many of us in the boat together.

Swami

I'd like to speak to your supervisor.

defiantdog
01-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Rhoads is on campus

msstate7
01-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Rhoads is on campus

You think he's gonna get it?

defiantdog
01-09-2016, 03:35 PM
You think he's gonna get it?

Yeah, I don't think Allen agreed with our stipulations

msstate7
01-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I don't think Allen agreed with our stipulations

Sounds like Allen is gambling with his future career. If he doesn't continue to progress at s. Florida, he may never get another shot at the sec.

SallyStansbury
01-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Speaking of coaches, no need to worry that much? Hev, Sallach and Mullen are on it! Plus Buckley, Gonzales, etc.....not as if we are without recruiters?

OSCAR
01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Agree not worried unless it goes beyond the dead period. Every day it goes beyond the dead period is time lost on the recruiting trail.

defiantdog
01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Agree not worried unless it goes beyond the dead period. Every day it goes beyond the dead period is time lost on the recruiting trail.
You don't think anyone is recruiting right now?