PDA

View Full Version : Some random thoughts about the impending defensive coaching hires

Irondawg
01-04-2016, 05:26 PM
I think Mullen now realizes he's stuck here for a few years longer at least unless he wants to make a lateral move after next season. That said I think a big factor in the DC hire is someone he think will be here at least 2 years with him. I know that was the intent with Diaz and it didn't work out but I think that was a bit of "the one school I'd leave for" type of situation.

Of the names being mentioned Allen is the most likely to stay but his long-time relationship with Freeze has to be somewhat concerning. I know it's a profession and people get over it as we've hired ex-OM coaches before with no problem, but it does have to weigh in. The concern with Mel is that if he did really well would he bolt back tot the NFL? Thompson has some baggage and his track record as DC isn't stellar. There are other names I'm sure Mullen is looking at as well.

The reason I like Allen is I think we have to change the style somewhat and I like what his defenses have shown the past few years.

Watching the bowl games and our season a couple of things stood out about what makes a good defense (throwing Bama out the window b/c you can't replicate their front 4).

1) Pressure on QB
2) Tackling

Almost every big play I saw in a lot of bowl games involved mutliple missed tackles. Get a guy who can really coach tackling technique and that will go a long way toward a good defense. I watched a ton of terrible tackling efforts last weekend - mostly by secondaries.

So I want a DC and safeties coach than can really stress open field tackling technique. That and a guy known for disguising coverage schmes and blitzes.

The question of course is if Mullen will allow that style. Second to that is the style of defense we should run with our current personnel and recruiting tendencies. 4-3, 3-4 or 4-2-5

It_Could_Happen
01-04-2016, 05:32 PM
I may be in the minority, but I think if we have a chance to get Thompson it's a no brainer hire. It's not often the #1 recruiter in the country wants to join your staff, and I'm one of those it's about Jimmy and joes not X's and O's guys. Just my two cents.

Irondawg
01-04-2016, 05:36 PM
I think those awards are a bit overbaked and don't really mean much honestly. Those awards usually go to a top school that recruits itself for the most part (along with the boosters). No guarantee it translates back over to MSU at all.