PDA

View Full Version : Buckley off the table and Mullen doesn't want Thompson bc of no DC experience??

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
I was just told by a buddy with a Scout membership that Robertson is saying Buckley is not likely going to be the Safeties hire, and that Lance Thompson is interested but Mullen wants a DC with prior experience, so he tends to think Hopson or Allen may end up being the guy.

Is this accurate, from anyone with a Scout membership? And if so, is anyone else hearing anything different?

If we have a chance at Lance Thompson DC & TBuckley as Safeties, and we end up with Jay Hopson DC & some random at Safeties, I'm going to be pissed. Mullen needs to get over himself and hire Thompson if that's the truth.

Hopefully this is just something to feed the pay site, and doesn't end up being accurate.

Anybody got other info?

runwildjerious
01-04-2016, 04:38 PM
I am going to try to stay calm about this, but IF this is true...wow.

gtowndawg
01-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Recruiters? We don't need recruiters! We're fine!

Sheesh...we are Mullen State

NCDawg
I thought Thompson did a pretty job as interim DC for Auburn in their bowl game. They shut down Memphis most of the game.

Ifyouonlyknew
He said that Buckley may end up being the guy but they may make the DC hire 1st & get his input. He said he thinks Mullen is going to want someone with prior DC experience but Thompson does have that so who knows.

runwildjerious
01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
If we hire Hopson as anything other than a Safeties coach that would be an incredibly bad decision by Dan.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
He said that Buckley may end up being the guy but they may make the DC hire 1st & get his input. He said he thinks Mullen is going to want someone with prior DC experience but Thompson does have that so who knows.

Don't bring correct information here!! We want meltdowns!!

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Before everybody freaks (myself included), I want to know if this is actually what Robertson is saying....and then, I still want to know if any ED sources are hearing the same. Then I'll start to worry...but the initial thought of possibly wanting Hipson as DC when Thompson wants it...makes me wants to break something.

Ifyouonlyknew
Hard to know where he's getting the info because he says Thompson may not be the guy bc he doesn't have any experience but he was a DC for 3yrs. It's also been stated that Buckley was interviewing with Mullen this week so who knows.

CadaverDawg

Ok thanks. So not quite as bad as what I was told...

ScottH
01-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Nope

Safeties hire on hold until DC hire. Buckley may very well end up as hire but wants DC input.

Prefers experienced DC.

I read Thompson was DC at UCF accord to his AU bio. Don't think Steve has that info yet.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Hard to know where he's getting the info because he says Thompson may not be the guy bc he doesn't have any experience but he was a DC for 3yrs. It's also been stated that Buckley was interviewing with Mullen this week so who knows.

Well, I'm hoping Steve is wrong on this one. In my opinion, Thompson as DC and Buckley as Safeties would be a Homerun. What is your ideal hires?

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
My apologies for not checking with Dan first, guys. Sounds like it could be misinformation by Steve, and that what I was told was missing a few things (like "it could still be Buckley"). Sorry about that. But it's still got me watching this more closely, bc you'd have to think Steve has at least a little of that info correct. Maybe not

ScottH
01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Also described Allen potential hiring as complicated.

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Tell your buddy to ask Steve if Bryant's offer is still pulled.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Well, I'm hoping Steve is wrong on this one. In my opinion, Thompson as DC and Buckley as Safeties would be a Homerun. What is your ideal hires?

I'd be fine with Thompson, Allen, or Mel Tucker. I think they each all have their strengths. I think Thompson is the biggest boom or bust guy on the list just because he hasn't created a gameplan, called games, or made in game adjustments in years. However I think with his recruiting prowess if he proved to be a good X & O guys he'd be fantastic. I think Tom Allen is by far the safest hire. Good X & O guy who is a solid recruiter & knows the area well. Mel Tucker is a Saban disciple plus he's had years of running his own ship in college & pro.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Also described Allen potential hiring as complicated.

See I wondered about the Ole Miss background of Allen and even Hopson...that's another reason why I thought Thompson & Buckley would be better choices. 1) I think they're better coaches, 2) No Ole Miss background/loyalty to worry about.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:54 PM
I'd be fine with Thompson, Allen, or Mel Tucker. I think they each all have their strengths. I think Thompson is the biggest boom or bust guy on the list just because he hasn't created a gameplan, called games, or made in game adjustments in years. However I think with his recruiting prowess if he proved to be a good X & O guys he'd be fantastic. I think Tom Allen is by far the safest hire. Good X & O guy who is a solid recruiter & knows the area well. Mel Tucker is a Saban disciple plus he's had years of running his own ship in college & pro.

Does Allen's recent time with Freeze give you any hesitations with him? I'd like it more if he was 5-6 years removed from OM...but a year ago we were his rival.

deltadawg99
I hope Mullen doesn't Mullen and overthink think this one.

Thompson wants job, has prior DC experience, is a top 10 national recruiter, has SEC experience and is from the Saban tree. No way we could get anybody any better.

I do agree with hiring the DC before the safeties coach. Makes sense, but Buckley still needs to be the guy.

Dawg496
Thompson/Buckley gives us a pretty damn good recruiting boost I would think and both seem to be pretty damn good position coaches as well.

Whether or not Thompson can gameplan, playcall, and make adjustments at an SEC level, I am not sure... but they did well against Memphis.. much better than the Bears anyway.

I also wouldn't mind Allen.. he's likely the better DC but probably not as big of a splash in recruiting.

ScottH
01-04-2016, 04:55 PM
See I wondered about the Ole Miss background of Allen and even Hopson...that's another reason why I thought Thompson & Buckley would be better choices. 1) I think they're better coaches, 2) No Ole Miss background/loyalty to worry about.

Allen and Bucky have been attached a the hip at Lambuth, Arky State, and UM.

That's almost Hevesyish isn't it?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Does Allen's recent time with Freeze give you any hesitations with him? I'd like it more if he was 5-6 years removed from OM...but a year ago we were his rival.

No not really. This is a business not cutthroat central like the fans treat it. Coaches & players rarely hate each other or hold that type of resentment.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 04:58 PM
No not really. This is a business not cutthroat central like the fans treat it. Coaches & players rarely hate each other or hold that type of resentment.

Yea, I mean I know they don't get as bitter as the fans...but he's been with Freeze a long long time. Hopefully nothing to it. Maybe he can help us with Freeze's tendencies, etc. Mullen may have a trick up his sleeve by getting Freeze's former right hand. We'll see

War Machine Dawg
01-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I think Mel Tucker is the wildcard in all of this. It would be awesome to land a guy with his resume as DC.

HancockCountyDog
01-04-2016, 04:59 PM

I try to tell people that all the time. Players aren't message board posters. A lot of these kids grow up friends, go to different schools and remain friends. Just like the rest of us.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Look here is the troubling deal with Thompson. He has some baggage with more than one staff and his lone defensive coordinator job lead to his longtime mentor O'Leary demoting him. He had one good year at UCF but his last was horrible. But that was 10 years ago. There is no question his recruiting capabilities and it's been 10 years so he maybe ready for a coordinator job again. But there are some red flags. He has been consider a great recruiter, good LB coach, but a black mark as far as schemes

Coach34
01-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Hopson is not going to be the new DC

Its Tucker or Allen

CadaverDawg
01-04-2016, 05:10 PM
If Allen can bring that physical style of play OM had last year with him, I would be ok with that

Thick
01-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Allen had a little falling out with Freeze before he left for USF. Allen and DM have spoken about the opportunity, so it will be interesting to see where this goes.

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 05:17 PM
My apologies for not checking with Dan first, guys. Sounds like it could be misinformation by Steve, and that what I was told was missing a few things (like "it could still be Buckley"). Sorry about that. But it's still got me watching this more closely, bc you'd have to think Steve has at least a little of that info correct. Maybe not

ha - my cheeks are still puckered at getting Tulane mixed up with Memphis ... this is nothing compared to that idiocracy (I know that's not a word but it should be)

PendingTransaction
01-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Is there any serious consideration of Nate Woody?

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 05:31 PM
If Allen can bring that physical style of play OM had last year with him, I would be ok with that

I posted in the Allen thread what he did at USF this first year. You will really like the sack, tackle for loss, and interception increases his first year. Every part except pass defense was better and in some case much much better than last year.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Woody needs a step up in competition level as a DC or a longer track record at App St.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Allen had a little falling out with Freeze before he left for USF. Allen and DM have spoken about the opportunity, so it will be interesting to see where this goes.

I have heard a couple of people say that but have never heard what their fallout was over.

preachermatt83
01-04-2016, 06:27 PM
If it's Allen or Hopson I'm gonna lose my mind.

preachermatt83
01-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Tucker or Ogre. That's the only 2 I'd have on my radar right now. I'm telling Yal I'm still hearing a lot of Ogre buzz.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 06:37 PM

I agree on Hopson and not heard of him being a DC candidate but Allen would be a very good hire. Good defensive mind.

Coach007
01-04-2016, 06:46 PM
I was just told by a buddy with a Scout membership that Robertson is saying Buckley is not likely going to be the Safeties hire, and that Lance Thompson is interested but Mullen wants a DC with prior experience, so he tends to think Hopson or Allen may end up being the guy.

Is this accurate, from anyone with a Scout membership? And if so, is anyone else hearing anything different?

If we have a chance at Lance Thompson DC & TBuckley as Safeties, and we end up with Jay Hopson DC & some random at Safeties, I'm going to be pissed. Mullen needs to get over himself and hire Thompson if that's the truth.

Hopefully this is just something to feed the pay site, and doesn't end up being accurate.

Anybody got other info?

Not sure what they are saying, but I do know that this isn't correct just based on facts. Thompson has dc experience.

Todd4State
01-04-2016, 06:51 PM
I have heard a couple of people say that but have never heard what their fallout was over.

I remember Freeze taking a lot of credit after a big win where the defense played well and I remember him criticizing the defense pretty heavily after a loss as well.

Just a guess.

Coursesuper
01-04-2016, 06:55 PM

In a word: NO. Not even being considered.

Sacrifice
01-04-2016, 07:09 PM
The more I look at Mel Tucker's defenses while he was in the NFL, the less I want him. 26,23,28,6,30,30,30. That's his total defensive rankings each year he was a DC in the NFL.

msstate7
01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
The more I look at Mel Tucker's defenses while he was in the NFL, the less I want him. 26,23,28,6,30,30,30. That's his total defensive rankings each year he was a DC in the NFL.

Hell rob Ryan could match that

oldjoedawg
01-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Tucker or Ogre. That's the only 2 I'd have on my radar right now. I'm telling Yal I'm still hearing a lot of Ogre buzz.

A couple of days ago you were practically guaranteeing an O hire! I thought then that you were way out there on a limb and if your prediction fell through your credibility would suffer. LOL

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 07:30 PM

NFL numbers are hard to translate to college. His year as Co-Coordinator at Ohio State was 20th in the nation.

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2016, 07:38 PM
d e l e t e

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

If it's yaw yaw, it'll be worse.

ILOATHEBears
01-04-2016, 08:30 PM
This thread lost me once I read "Scout" and Steve.......

War Machine Dawg
01-04-2016, 08:32 PM

http://i.imgur.com/ic6oUyu.gif

I seen it dawg
01-04-2016, 09:01 PM
My apologies for not checking with Dan first, guys.Sounds like it could be misinformation by Steve, and that what I was told was missing a few things (like "it could still be Buckley"). Sorry about that. But it's still got me watching this more closely, bc you'd have to think Steve has at least a little of that info correct. Maybe not

Say it isn't so...

HancockCountyDog
01-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Not even sure why we are having this thread, PreacherMatt said that O was a done deal. A DONE DEAL DAMNIT!!!!!

I seen it dawg
01-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Done deal!!!!!!! Ogre!!!!!!

preachermatt83
01-04-2016, 09:28 PM
If it ends up being ogre You gomers gonna feel bad for smack talking.

I seen it dawg
01-04-2016, 09:29 PM
So how you gonna feel when it's not? Damn gomer

preachermatt83
01-04-2016, 09:31 PM
A couple of days ago you were practically guaranteeing an O hire! I thought then that you were way out there on a limb and if your prediction fell through your credibility would suffer. LOL

I've got no credibility anyway lol. Just share what I hear. Sometimes I hit sometimes I miss. However it wasn't but a few months back there was a whole thread about whether I really was just lucky or was I hitting home runs Bc I knew a little something. Huh Engie? Lol

preachermatt83
01-04-2016, 09:31 PM
So how you gonna feel when it's not? Damn gomer

Like Dan screwed up again.