PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones Decision

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Kind of surprised that he has not declared yet. Anyone know if he is possibly considering coming back for his senior season ?

Spiderman
01-04-2016, 09:35 AM
he's gone barring the unforeseen

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-04-2016, 09:42 AM
OK that is what I kind of figured, but why hasn't he announced yet ?

louisvilledawg
01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Pro Football Focus had him graded out as the top DT in the nation from like week 5 until the end of season. Think he'll declare, go to combine, tear it up, become a first rounder

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Pro Football Focus had him graded out as the top DT in the nation from like week 5 until the end of season. Think he'll declare, go to combine, tear it up, become a first rounder

He'll slide into the first. However, if he waits he'll be a lottery pick. Top 5. It may make him millions to wait and see who the new DC will be and then make a decision after meeting with him. I seriously doubt that happens, but it would be prudent to speak with him before signing with an agent and declaring.

Entodawg
01-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Saw him crying telling people goodbye on the field after the bowl game. Maybe he was just emotional after the win but there were real tears in his eyes.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
He might not have gotten his draft grade back yet.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Saw him crying telling people goodbye on the field after the bowl game. Maybe he was just emotional after the win but there were real tears in his eyes.

99% chance he's gone but maybe he's waiting just to make sure. Better safe than sorry.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-04-2016, 12:06 PM
was he hugging them? If so do you suspect a "goodbye" hug or a "congrats, celebratory" hug?

MSUDeltadawg1971
01-04-2016, 12:07 PM
He'll slide into the first. However, if he waits he'll be a lottery pick. Top 5. It may make him millions to wait and see who the new DC will be and then make a decision after meeting with him. I seriously doubt that happens, but it would be prudent to speak with him before signing with an agent and declaring.

I do know that one of our former great linebackers is telling him that exact same thing. Come back and play the whole year like he did the last 5 games and he's a lottery pick.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
What about the interview with him and Gabe Myles and someone ask Gabe if Chris was coming back and he said "Yea" and then Chris said that Gabe was right?......Did that not really happen or did I imagine or dream that I read that?

THE Bruce Dickinson
CBS Sports NFL draft prospects list has him pretty low as far as DTs go. They are projecting him in the 3rd or 4th round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DT

dawgs
01-04-2016, 12:37 PM

The difference in top 5 money and late 1st round money is peanuts compared to getting to that 1st free agency contract a year sooner now that they have the rookie pay scale.

HancockCountyDog
01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
The difference in top 5 money and late 1st round money is peanuts compared to getting to that 1st free agency contract a year sooner now that they have the rookie pay scale.

Since when is 15 million peanuts?

Count
01-04-2016, 01:55 PM
You right there !

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 02:38 PM

Since Ole Miss started paying recruits that for their signatures

louisvilledawg
01-04-2016, 03:52 PM
CBS Sports NFL draft prospects list has him pretty low as far as DTs go. They are projecting him in the 3rd or 4th round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DT

Yes, right now they have him as a 3 or 4th round. But i saw one analyst from cbs project him to go late first to carolina.

I think once he hits balls out at the combine, he'll sky rocket up draft boards. Dontari Poe Style

louisvilledawg
01-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Didn't mean to type "hits". It would be weird for him to hit balls at the combine.

dawgs
01-04-2016, 08:24 PM

When you can get to your free agency contract and more than make up that $10-15M difference in your first year of free agency and have 1 less season of miles on your body, thus possibly netting you a longer contract or opening up the possibility of signing a 2nd lucrative free agency deal before being deemed too old.

It's a gamble of course, but if he would be committed to working himself into being a top 5 pick next year, seems like he would also be committed to working himself into being an elite young DT/3-4 DE to get that huge free agency contract too.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Since Ole Miss started paying recruits that for their signatures

Some where around 2009.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 08:38 PM
When you can get to your free agency contract and more than make up that $10-15M difference in your first year of free agency and have 1 less season of miles on your body, thus possibly netting you a longer contract or opening up the possibility of signing a 2nd lucrative free agency deal before being deemed too old.

It's a gamble of course, but if he would be committed to working himself into being a top 5 pick next year, seems like he would also be committed to working himself into being an elite young DT/3-4 DE to get that huge free agency contract too.

I agree with what you're saying but you have to look at it from his perspective... If someone is being honest with him about the numbers they'll tell him he could make up to $4 to $5M per year for four years starting next year (as a top five pick) or maybe cross his fingers and slide into the late first round this year and make 1.7M over the next four years. That's more than $2.3M per year over 3 years. So, he'd miss out on 2.4M per year and be making $1.7M per year. He'd be missing more money than he's making. And that's if he's lucky and slides into the first round.

Someone smart with money needs to tell him that he can renegotiate that contract in 3 years anyway if he plays well, so he may as well take his best shot and see if he can make the bigs bucks. Teams don't like pro-bowl DTs getting close to the open market. If he's willing to give away a chance at doubling his money that's insane. Low risk, HUGE reward.