PDA

View Full Version : Whole lotta discontent here with Mullen after a 9 win season

msstate7
01-04-2016, 08:41 AM
What if we had an avg class of 6.5 in the country the previous 4 classes, presently #7, and hired the biggest named DC available last year? Would you be happy then? Well that's what auburn did and they've had a 15-11 record the last 2 years while we've been 19-7.

I want us to recruit better on the oline and speed on defense, but I'm not ready to scrap what we've been doing completely bc we've lost our last 2 egg bowls... After all, losing those eggs is why we're melting

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 08:48 AM
I hate to lose, but I'm more pissed about the way we've been losing. The inability to be physical and the lack of emotion really bothers me.

BB30
01-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I agree we looked soft on both sides of the ball this year. Hopefully the fire will have been re-lit under Mullen and we will see a more physical team next year. I am enjoying 9 and 10 win seasons though, hopefully we can keep the wins coming through the transition year.

Rayburn8
01-04-2016, 09:31 AM
People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.

thf24
01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Although I'm still a big Mullen fan, I do think a lot of our weaknesses as a program at this point can be traced back to his stubbornness. However, he's not stupid, and I believe he'll eventually realize that he can't beat certain issues his way and start to make changes. Hopefully that comes sooner than later. And I do think there's a silver lining in it; if he's taken us to seven straight bowls and winning 6-9 games every year now, just imagine where we'll be if he can admit and work out these apparent philosophical flaws.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:34 AM
People seem to be forgetting that we have only had six 9-win seasons. Mullen has led us to three of those seasons.

Yep, if we all believe it really hard the belk bowl can just become our SEC championship. Since most people are so comfortable with 9 win seasons. No reason to try to get any better

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2016, 09:36 AM

I don't think anyone is forgetting that, but what would you rather the attitude of the fan base be right now?

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win seasons before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you aren't moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 09:39 AM

THIS. Some of you can't see the forest for the trees.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
I don't think anyone is forgetting that, but what would you rather the attitude of the fan base be right now?

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win seasons before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you aren't moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.

The overwhelmingly negative attitude is going to kill the program, again. MSU fans aren't really in their comfort zone unless they are bitching and moaning. It's all we know. Time to try something new for a change.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm

In the same way that we only had 3 nine win season before Mullen got here, we also never had all the money we have now, or a 60,000+ seat stadium, or was on TV as much as we are now, or the national profile that we have now.

In the SEC, if you are moving forward, you are absolutely moving backwards. I don't think anyone wants to fire Mullen or anything like that, but people want to see the program moving forward. I also think that losing 3 or 4 SEC home games this year has people not really enjoying the 9 win season, maybe like they should, because we never got to enjoy a big home win this year. I think people also feel like the program has peaked unless philosophical changes are made.

Thank you! I'm so sick of the ****ing contentment around here. Let's be honest, who was our best win this year? A train wreck auburn team? A 7-5 pretty good Arkansas team that almost beat us? I'm happy with 9 win seasons but we've got to keep moving forward to stay relevant. The only 2 teams behind us in recruiting right now... Vandy and Missouri.

msstate7
01-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Yep, if we all believe it really hard the belk bowl can just become our SEC championship. Since most people are so comfortable with 9 win seasons. No reason to try to get any better

So we should fire Mullen?

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:43 AM
THIS. Some of you can't see the forest for the trees.

Mr. Contentment himself ladies and gentlemen

msstate7
01-04-2016, 09:44 AM
I'm

Thank you! I'm so sick of the ****ing contentment around here. Let's be honest, who was our best win this year? A train wreck auburn team? A 7-5 pretty good Arkansas team that almost beat us? I'm happy with 9 win seasons but we've got to keep moving forward to stay relevant. The only 2 teams behind us in recruiting right now... Vandy and Missouri.

And auburn has prison raped us in recruiting, so obviously recruiting better doesn't guarantee crap. We just need to tweek our formula some imo

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:45 AM
So we should fire Mullen?

Did I say that? You're reading comprehension sucks if that's what you got out of that. I like Mullen but he has to sack up and make some hard changes. Number 1 being send Hevesey's ass packing.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:46 AM
And auburn has prison raped us in recruiting, so obviously recruiting better doesn't guarantee crap. We just need to tweek our formula some imo

You're pretty naive if you think Auburn is gonna stay down with the amount of talent they are bringing in. But yeh having good players is overrated **

Coach34
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
My discontent is based on the team we had. We had the pieces to compete for the West except for the OL- and with Jr's or older starting- there's no excuse in being that shitty upfront. Our D was stuffing Bama for the 1st half- and the O couldn't give them any help at all.

2016 won't have the same disappointment- we're not supposed to be that good

msstate7
Did I say that? You're reading comprehension sucks if that's what you got out of that. I like Mullen but he has to sack up and make some hard changes. Number 1 being send Hevesey's ass packing.

I sure he'll take "you're" suggestion to heart

Liverpooldawg
Mr. Contentment himself ladies and gentlemen

Poster child.

Since when does acknowledging that at MSU a 9 win season is a rarity and is a great season mean you are content. One of the KEY ingredients to getting better is being able to recognize when you ARE better. In the ups and downs of football program progress we are light years ahead of where we were 5 years ago.

Johnson85

You can try to get better without being stupid. You can also enjoy a season that wasn't perfect and enjoy a football program that is not national championship caliber while still trying to get better.

There are things about the program and Mullen that are very frustrating right now, but there are a lot of things Mullen has done so well with that MSU fans take them for granted and don't even appreciate. Overall, Mullen has us in a good place. It sucks that OL recruiting has probably set our ceiling for the foreseeable future below the SEC Championship game, but if that stops you from enjoying college football, maybe being a sports fan isn't the best route for you.

msstate7
01-04-2016, 09:48 AM
You're pretty naive if you think Auburn is gonna stay down with the amount of talent they are bringing in. But yeh having good players is overrated **

Didn't realize we had no good players. Go figure

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:49 AM
I sure he'll take "you're" suggestion to heart

Thanks Webster. I'll make sure my iPhone uses autocorrects with proper grammar next time. You got me good cool guy

msstate7
01-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks Webster. I'll make sure my iPhone uses autocorrects with proper grammar next time. You got me good cool guy

Hey you were one criticizing reading comprehension... Haha

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Didn't realize we had no good players. Go figure

Jesus Christ. Since you enjoy putting words in my mouth I'll just say it... where in my post did I say anything about our players? You argue like my wife

msstate7
01-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Jesus Christ. Since you enjoy putting words in my mouth I'll just say it... where in my post did I say anything about our players? You argue like my wife
And you melt like my 9-year-old nephew after a loss.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 09:55 AM
People seem to forget that we have paid a coach over $1 Million only 6 times in our history and Mullen has received all of it. Our HC salary is ranked #16 and our overall staff salary is ranked at #21 in the NCAA. While I agree we should appreciate what we're doing, we don't need to overpay for it. Hell, we didn't finish ranked in the Top 25 with our best QB ever.
NCAA salaries (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/)

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2016, 09:56 AM
The overwhelmingly negative attitude is going to kill the program, again. MSU fans aren't really in their comfort zone unless they are bitching and moaning. It's all we know. Time to try something new for a change.

No it won't. Name an SEC program that negative attitude has killed?

How has the negative attitude ever killed MSU?

IMO, what kills a program is apathy more than anything, and bitching is the opposite of apathy. I think you could just about rank teams in order least apathetic to most apathetic & that list would virtually match the college football program rankings.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 09:58 AM
People seem to forget that we have paid a coach over $1 Million only 6 times in our history and Mullen has received all of it. Our HC salary is ranked #16 and our overall staff salary is ranked at #21 in the NCAA. While I agree we should appreciate what we're doing, we don't need to overpay for it. Hell, we didn't finish ranked in the Top 25 with our best QB ever.

Can we dead the $4million dollar talk? Every coach in the West makes that so he's not making any crazy amount of money. If you don't like the neighborhood we live in then let's move out.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
And you melt like my 9-year-old nephew after a loss.

Can't argue that. I guess I'll just be content with winning the cupcakes and losing to the big boys like ya'll. I'll try harder next season

engie
01-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Bowl season didn't tell people what a "politically correct" joke the polls are?

msstate7
01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Can't argue that. I guess I'll just be content with winning the cupcakes and losing to the big boys like ya'll. I'll try harder next season
I'm not happy with how we performed in several games this year, but I think Mullen has earned the right to do things his way. We were 1 win from the sugar bowl this year, but om beat us... Sucks, but we aren't as crappy as a lot here are making it seem

TexDawg
01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
You want MSU to become the Big Dawg then pony up boys. According to USA today Alabama ranks 4th in NCAA total athletic department revenue, LSU 6th, A&M 10th, Auburn 13th, Arkansas 24th, Ole Miss 38th, while MSU ranks 51st. And MSU is $9,000,000.00 behind Ole Miss. And don't give me the dollars should not matter BS. Eight of the top ten schools in expenditures have won CFB football championships.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 10:06 AM
No it won't. Name an SEC program that negative attitude has killed?

How has the negative attitude ever killed MSU?

IMO, what kills a program is apathy more than anything, and bitching is the opposite of apathy. I think you could just about rank teams in order least apathetic to most apathetic & that list would virtually match the college football program rankings.
It's been a big part of why we have never sustained success in football. We have had coaches come in and do well early on but as soon as there is a downturn, be it big or small, a vocal part of the fanbase jumps off the bandwagon and works according to their stature to bring the coach down so we can move in to the next one. It cascades from there. With most of our previous guys the up years we modest enough that a"downturn" brought you into really negative territory pretty quickly. That isn't the case at all this time but good lord to listen to some you would think we finished 4-9 instead of 9-4. It's the same old crap except this time it's over a coach who just won 19 games over two consecutive seasons for the first time in school history. It's crazy. It's delusional FAR beyond anything I have ever seen from the Confederates. We would be laughing and egging them on if the Confederates were doing it. Rightly so.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm not happy with how we performed in several games this year, but I think Mullen has earned the right to do things his way. We were 1 win from the sugar bowl this year, but om beat us... Sucks, but we aren't as crappy as a lot here are making it seem

I really don't want Mullen gone I just wish he would quit being so stubborn and change some things. My biggest problem is the way we lost to the good teams. We weren't even competitive, except in the 4th quarter of LSU. I'm still shocked we lost to A&M

msstate7
01-04-2016, 10:10 AM
I really don't want Mullen gone I just wish he would quit being so stubborn and change some things. My biggest problem is the way we lost to the good teams. We weren't even competitive, except in the 4th quarter of LSU. I'm still shocked we lost to A&M

No argument there... We have to get better on the oline and secondary. Hopefully Mullen gets it done

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2016, 10:17 AM
It's been a big part of why we have never sustained success in football. We have had coaches come in and do well early on but as soon as there is a downturn, be it big or small, a vocal part of the fanbase jumps off the bandwagon and works according to their stature to bring the coach down so we can move in to the next one. It cascades from there. With most of our previous guys the up years we modest enough that a"downturn" brought you into really negative territory pretty quickly. That isn't the case at all this time but good lord to listen to some you would think we finished 4-9 instead of 9-4. It's the same old crap except this time it's over a coach who just won 19 games over two consecutive seasons for the first time in school history. It's crazy. It's delusional FAR beyond anything I have ever seen from the Confederates. We would be laughing and egging them on if the Confederates were doing it. Rightly so.

This is full of ignorant....

Not saying you are stupid, but your post makes it completely clear that you don't understand that EVERY SEC fan base behaves this way. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I fail to see where MSU is different & complains more than other fan bases. The only way a program downturn could be blamed on this is if you could make a strong point that MSU fans complain more than other SEC fan bases.

Far as I can tell, Ole Miss' "Forward Rebels" complained there way into a much better coach & recruiting philosophy. How do you explain that?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Far as I can tell, Ole Miss' "Forward Rebels" complained there way into a much better coach & recruiting philosophy. How do you explain that?

I understand your point but Forward Rebels was started in the middle of the Houston Nutt meltdown. They had just finished a 4-8 season & was starting a 2-10 season. They were justified in their bitching & complaining. Things were hitting rock bottom. Not comparable situations here. Not saying MSU can't & shouldn't continue to improve & strive for excellence but it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Dawg Corps
01-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Now is the winter of our discontent.

Bothrops
01-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Losing two eggs in a row, and the subsequent and probable 2016 recruiting fail, that will follow the greatest season in my dad's lifetime. Add to that the constant staff shake-ups, and arrogance displayed after getting our asses kicked by our rival. Then combine that with Ole Miss' huge success on the field and the procurement of one of the best recruiting classes in the country, with another on the way. It turns into a problem.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 10:33 AM
This is full of ignorant....

Not saying you are stupid, but your post makes it completely clear that you don't understand that EVERY SEC fan base behaves this way. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I fail to see where MSU is different & complains more than other fan bases. The only way a program downturn could be blamed on this is if you could make a strong point that MSU fans complain more than other SEC fan bases.

Actually every SEC fanbase does NOT get upset at a coach when he just set a two season record for victories at their school. Forward Rebels appeard to gain steam in the middle of a freaking train wreck, not at the end of a historic run of victories. When we get to the sustained over time level of an Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia then we MIGHT not look silly complaining about winning 19 games in two seasons. Seeing what we have been it's insane.

GreenheadDawg
01-04-2016, 10:34 AM
No argument there... We have to get better on the oline and secondary. Hopefully Mullen gets it done

Absolutely. Can you imagine what Dak and Co. would have done this year with a competent O-line. I would expect safety play to be improved next year but CB is a huge question

BossDawg
01-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes, that's nice and all, but there's no reason we shouldn't be wanting and expecting a little more every now and then. As a few others have noted, we don't seem to be moving forward at all. Hell, Mullen even appears less than enthusiastic much of the time. Other than Auburn and LSU last year, I can't think of one single win within the past few years that makes me hopeful, and the way we finished last year still makes me want to kick a hole in my wall when I think about it. That finish squashed any excitement that I had at the beginning of the season. The team just seems stuck. Recruiting has been nothing but a damn headache and 9 times out of 10 we played like we would rather be playing checkers in the really important games.

9 win seasons are fine but I wouldn't mind a season every now and then where Mullen fields a team that we KNOW is ready to crack some skulls and where Mullen doesn't look like he has spotted a ghost or something.

JoseBrown
01-04-2016, 11:05 AM

That's Croom approved***

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Can we dead the $4million dollar talk? Every coach in the West makes that so he's not making any crazy amount of money. If you don't like the neighborhood we live in then let's move out.

How many other coaches in the west appear to be looking to get out of their current situation? I'm not saying that's the case, but there's that perception outside the program that he will eventually leave for greener pastures and that he's looking to get out. He hasn't done anything to squash those rumors.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Bowl season didn't tell people what a "politically correct" joke the polls are?

LOL so you agree with the rest?

Regardless on how politically correct the polls are, it hurts our perception if we can't get ranked with the best SEC QB.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:13 AM
People are ready to see the transition from "good program" to "elite program." It' doesn't happen this quickly. It took Mike Vick at VaTech and that's about what it'll take for us. We need a serious injection of top tier talent to take that leap. Look at what CDM did with Tebow, Hernandez, Dempsy, Harvin, Pouncey's, etc... at Florida. If he has the tools, he will win big. We don't have the horses to run with LSU and Bama yet, A&M or OM is close to being out of our league on a talent level. People see that and it concerns them. What's funny though is that no one should be pointing the finger at Mullen. They should be pointing the finger at our fans. We don't do our part in making this the most attractive school in the country to 5 star athletes. Until we do, there will be a talent gap and CDM will be playing poker with a shittier hand than Saban, Miles, Freeze, Malzahn, and Sumlin.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 11:20 AM
People are ready to see the transition from "good program" to "elite program." It' doesn't happen this quickly. It took Mike Vick at VaTech and that's about what it'll take for us. We need a serious injection of top tier talent to take that leap. Look at what CDM did with Tebow, Hernandez, Dempsy, Harvin, Pouncey's, etc... at Florida. If he has the tools, he will win big. We don't have the horses to run with LSU and Bama yet, A&M or OM is close to being out of our league on a talent level. People see that and it concerns them. What's funny though is that no one should be pointing the finger at Mullen. They should be pointing the finger at our fans. We don't do our part in making this the most attractive school in the country to 5 star athletes. Until we do, there will be a talent gap and CDM will be playing poker with a shittier hand than Saban, Miles, Freeze, Malzahn, and Sumlin.

Please explain further what MSU fans can do to be more attractive?

BB30
01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Yes, that's nice and all, but there's no reason we shouldn't be wanting and expecting a little more every now and then. As a few others have noted, we don't seem to be moving forward at all. Hell, Mullen even appears less than enthusiastic much of the time. Other than Auburn and LSU last year, I can't think of one single win within the past few years that makes me hopeful, and the way we finished last year still makes me want to kick a hole in my wall when I think about it. That finish squashed any excitement that I had at the beginning of the season. The team just seems stuck. Recruiting has been nothing but a damn headache and 9 times out of 10 we played like we would rather be playing checkers in the really important games.

9 win seasons are fine but I wouldn't mind a season every now and then where Mullen fields a team that we KNOW is ready to crack some skulls and where Mullen doesn't look like he has spotted a ghost or something.

Every now and then, so from last year to this year is "every now and then"

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Please explain further what MSU fans can do to be more attractive?

Drive BMW's and drink cough syrup at the tailgate.***

When a kid arrives in Oxford for his official visit every single person in town knows who he is, where he's going, why he's there, and treats him like a rock star. Starkville don't roll out the red carpet like Oxford does.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 11:37 AM

When a kid arrives in Oxford for his official visit every single person in town knows who he is, where he's going, why he's there, and treats him like a rock star. Starkville don't roll out the red carpet like Oxford does.

Come on now....everyone knows you don't drink cough syrup, you sip it.

Is Starkville still trying to push the whole retirement community thing?

Big4Dawg
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Yep. I was in Oxford when they had their big recruiting weekend w/ Chris Jones, RN, Treadwell. They all got on stage at the library. I've never seen football recruits at Starkville.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Ugh...but acting that way is so embarrassing. Well I guess not embarrassing for current students.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Ugh...but acting that way is so embarrassing. Well I guess not embarrassing for current students.

It's awful and I can understand why Hev hates recruiting. It's pretty disgusting, but it's the price of winning.

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Actually every SEC fanbase does NOT get upset at a coach when he just set a two season record for victories at their school. Forward Rebels appeard to gain steam in the middle of a freaking train wreck, not at the end of a historic run of victories. When we get to the sustained over time level of an Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia then we MIGHT not look silly complaining about winning 19 games in two seasons. Seeing what we have been it's insane.

Every fan base but Vandy and UK does. UGA fans have been bitching about Richt for the past seven years at least. The only reason his seat hasn't been hot is because he's had a supportive AD and the right boosters supporting him. Auburn ran off Tubberville, Ole Miss ran off Cutcliffe, there has been a vocal contingent of LSU fans wanting Miles gone basically from teh day he was hired, UF fans turned on Meyers starting with Tebow's last year, UT fans wanted Fulmer gone, Arkansas fans wanted Nutt gone, etc.

Having a disproportionate number of fans that idiotically want to fire a coach for not being perfect is not a problem MSU has. We have them just like every other fan base has, but they are not particularly bad. Sherrill didn't get to go out on a high note, but he was given a lot of time to try, Stansbury made it longer here than he would at most programs, Crooms made it five years longer here than he would have anywhere else, Polk got to stick around a long time. That's just not a problem we have had.

Jack Lambert
01-04-2016, 11:54 AM
I think it has to do with losing to Ole Miss two years than anything else.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Yep. I was in Oxford when they had their big recruiting weekend w/ Chris Jones, RN, Treadwell. They all got on stage at the library. I've never seen football recruits at Starkville.

Interesting....

You can thank Kyle Veazey and the CL for shutting down our "recruiters" from The Pony.

engie
01-04-2016, 11:58 AM
LOL so you agree with the rest?

Regardless on how politically correct the polls are, it hurts our perception if we can't get ranked with the best SEC QB.

No. I think we're a top 20 team right this moment -- and all of the computer metrics out there seem to agree with me.

BossDawg
01-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Every now and then, so from last year to this year is "every now and then"

I don't count last year as "every now and then". We finished the season like we had better things to do other than play football.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Every fan base but Vandy and UK does. UGA fans have been bitching about Richt for the past seven years at least. The only reason his seat hasn't been hot is because he's had a supportive AD and the right boosters supporting him. Auburn ran off Tubberville, Ole Miss ran off Cutcliffe, there has been a vocal contingent of LSU fans wanting Miles gone basically from teh day he was hired, UF fans turned on Meyers starting with Tebow's last year, UT fans wanted Fulmer gone, Arkansas fans wanted Nutt gone, etc.

Having a disproportionate number of fans that idiotically want to fire a coach for not being perfect is not a problem MSU has. We have them just like every other fan base has, but they are not particularly bad. Sherrill didn't get to go out on a high note, but he was given a lot of time to try, Stansbury made it longer here than he would at most programs, Crooms made it five years longer here than he would have anywhere else, Polk got to stick around a long time. That's just not a problem we have had.
No, they don't. Not after a year where they set a two season record for wins they don't. It doesn't happen. The ONLY situation in MSU history that compares to what we have now was under Allyn McKeen. We still haven't recovered from what we did to him, although we are finally close to doing so. It seems we may be about to do it again. My Dad told me how that went down. It's remarkably similar to what's going on now.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't count last year as "every now and then". We finished the season like we had better things to do other than play football.

So a 10 win season at MSU, or most anywhere else, isn't a good one then?

tcdog70
01-04-2016, 12:21 PM

also remember we play a 12th game now. so with out that Mullen would be winning 8 games.

sleepy dawg
01-04-2016, 12:25 PM
@GreenheadDawg.... Just to be clear, as you keep saying we're "content", you're referring to the best 2 season stretch we've ever had at MSU right? You don't consider that moving in the right direction? 19 wins over the past 2 years... it's never been done here. How do you see that as being complacent? That's not something we've been doing, it's something we just started doing. Winning that many games is still somewhat of a new concept. It's not like other people aren't hopeful that we will be even better, but you don't go from peasant to king overnight.

tcdog70
01-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Absolutely. Can you imagine what Dak and Co. would have done this year with a competent O-line. I would expect safety play to be improved next year but CB is a huge question

we could have won 10 if our high paid Coach would have called a time out. ran Dak straight ahead and kicked the FG.

dawgs
01-04-2016, 12:30 PM
It's not that we aren't pleased to win 9 games, it's that we sit here and can see clear errors and decisions made that have kept us from winning more than 9 games. And a lot of those problems have been apparent for several years now and we keep ramming our head against the wall.

JoseBrown
01-04-2016, 12:37 PM
also remember we play a 12th game now. so with out that Mullen would be winning 8 games.

Actually 13, but who's counting***

There are so many bowl games now, they are accepting teams with losing records. So we played 13 total games, and made a bowl game when we could have made one with a losing record, possibly.

I'm happy with the outcome of the football season overall, and enjoyed watching most of the games. Don't wanna fire the coach, but wish a few things had been/will be done differently. Nothing wrong with wanting better OL, wanting the perception of our coach not being looking for greener pastures or getting in on and signing a few more elite players. I have no control over any of that stuff, only on how I perceive them to be. I trust Mullen to do exactly what he can to correct problems he has with the staff and/or the team. So I'm a happy Bulldawg overall, just pissed how we lost to UM, LSU, A&M and BAMA. But we can't win them all, yet!

Thick
01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Success and investing into your football program, through new facilities, facility upgrades, and increase in staff salaries, breeds greater expectations. It's human logic. We have been as successful as possible doing things a certain way. Now it's time to tweak some things to get to the next level of competition, which is competing with Bama, LSU, etc for the SEC title.

Gatordog
01-04-2016, 12:47 PM

I don't have an issue with the money. My question would be if it is true that Dan really wants to leave? I for one am tired of hearing his name associated with every job open. Now I understand that it is great that people want our coach and speaks volumes to the job he has done. He can easily ask his agent to not shop his name. He asked the fan base to move above the attitude of just beating ole miss is good enough to one of competing for championships. Well the last I looked beating Ole Piss is part of competing for a championship. He hasn't had the same fire he once had and his fan base still has the fire to improve. I believe every fan is behind him and has bought into what he has asked, it is now time for him to commit to us and see this thing through...Championship and relentless effort. We pile into the stadium. I support the team with my presence, and my seats every game. I understand the difficulties in recruiting, fix the problem the support is there.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 12:49 PM
I think the biggest thing message boards & fans in general lack is perspective. You can be happy with winning 9 games & say that without being content or a sunshine pumper or thinking our coach never does anything wrong. You can also see chinks in the armor of our program & not want our coach fired, everything is doom & gloom, & we're on the downside of our run. The problem on msg boards is both sides have their boots dug in so deep that no matter what the other side says if it's not exactly what you want to hear then they're wrong. Both sides are basically saying the same thing which is we need to improve on a few details that could help take the next step. The difference is it appears each side is looking at the opposite ends of the telescope.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
I don't have an issue with the money. My question would be if it is true that Dan really wants to leave? I for one am tired of hearing his name associated with every job open. Now I understand that it is great that people want our coach and speaks volumes to the job he has done. He can easily ask his agent to not shop his name. He asked the fan base to move above the attitude of just beating ole miss is good enough to one of competing for championships. Well the last I looked beating Ole Piss is part of competing for a championship. He hasn't had the same fire he once had and his fan base still has the fire to improve. I believe every fan is behind him and has bought into what he has asked, it is now time for him to commit to us and see this thing through...Championship and relentless effort. We pile into the stadium. I support the team with my presence, and my seats every game. I understand the difficulties in recruiting, fix the problem the support is there.

That was kind of my point in the previous post. I don't think anybody has a problem with wanting & expecting more from Dan & the program. It's what we should all want & expect. At the same time you can also appreciate what he's done up to date & not try to diminish it. You can want improvement while at the same time enjoying what we've accomplished so far. That's the biggest gap IMO that I see between fans.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 01:12 PM

It works both ways you know.

Liverpooldawg
01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
I think the biggest thing message boards & fans in general lack is perspective. You can be happy with winning 9 games & say that without being content or a sunshine pumper or thinking our coach never does anything wrong. You can also see chinks in the armor of our program & not want our coach fired, everything is doom & gloom, & we're on the downside of our run. The problem on msg boards is both sides have their boots dug in so deep that no matter what the other side says if it's not exactly what you want to hear then they're wrong. Both sides are basically saying the same thing which is we need to improve on a few details that could help take the next step. The difference is it appears each side is looking at the opposite ends of the telescope.

I think THE biggest difference is that some seem to think that only a different coach can take that next step forward. Most, but not all, maintain a very small margin of plausible deniability by never explicitly calling for Mullen's head. Some of us see that we already have a coach that has enabled MSU football to take a giant step forward. We are willing to let him attempt that next step HIS way, since our (MSU's) way in the past has rarely if ever worked before. I don't agree with everything Mullen does, but you have to respect what he has accomplished here. If you can't do that you will never be happy for long anywhere. I've said this before but I watched another TERRIBLE program on another level reach the top, more than once, and pretty much remain near it. I didn't agree with everything the coach that got them there did either, far from it actually. That program would never have made it to the top if they had run the guy off or forced him to make changes at the first downturn after nearly getting there the first time. That experience has given me a little patience with coaches that take that first big step.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-04-2016, 02:03 PM
That was kind of my point in the previous post. I don't think anybody has a problem with wanting & expecting more from Dan & the program. It's what we should all want & expect. At the same time you can also appreciate what he's done up to date & not try to diminish it. You can want improvement while at the same time enjoying what we've accomplished so far. That's the biggest gap IMO that I see between fans.

The stadium and the junction are full, so I'd say everyone is enjoying what we've done so far. I think some of the concerns revolve around the fact that the fan base doesn't want to get back to the cellar again and the perception is that we're not making the "investments" that we need to sustain success. Investments don't necessarily have to be monetary, either. From some of the stories I've heard, our staff could get a little better with the kiss ass.

Ralph
01-04-2016, 02:12 PM
My discontent is based on him seeming to want out and putting his name in for every position under the sun. I have a buddy that still thinks there's a chance he's gone this year after some NFL coaching changes. Im not convinced of that but who knows.

Not sure why (if true) he wants out so badly. He could be a legend if he stuck around without the pressure of the bigger programs.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 02:25 PM
My discontent is based on him seeming to want out and putting his name in for every position under the sun. I have a buddy that still thinks there's a chance he's gone this year after some NFL coaching changes. Im not convinced of that but who knows.

Not sure why (if true) he wants out so badly. He could be a legend if he stuck around without the pressure of the bigger programs.

I gave my thoughts on this when they 1st started coming up so no need to rehash but I think this putting his name in for every position was exaggerated.

Ralph
01-04-2016, 02:32 PM
I gave my thoughts on this when they 1st started coming up so no need to rehash but I think this putting his name in for every position was exaggerated.

I don't claim to be connected but the story I heard there was a deal with Maryland was basically done the Tuesday before the Egg, then Richt was fired and you put your interest there and Maryland moved on leaving you with nothing. Then interest in Miami again. Not sure if the UVA rumors were true.

But I get your point; probably is over exaggerated but seemed to be a lot of smoke coming from a lot of directions that you wanted out. Other than that, I hope you stay a long time.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't claim to be connected but the story I heard there was a deal with Maryland was basically done the Tuesday before the Egg, then Richt was fired and you put your interest there and Maryland moved on leaving you with nothing. Then interest in Miami again. Not sure if the UVA rumors were true.

But I get your point; probably is over exaggerated but seemed to be a lot of smoke coming from a lot of directions that you wanted out. Other than that, I hope you stay a long time.

I said from the beginning unless it was a UGA, FSU, or USC job come calling he wasn't leaving. I stand by that.

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 02:42 PM

I see you are still Rainman trying to get back to watch Judge Wompner

smootness
01-04-2016, 02:59 PM

I'm sorry, but this is one of the craziest things I've ever read on a State message board. Any time in the history of our program before right now, this would have been a sarcastic post - 'since most people are so comfortable with 9 win seasons'.

I don't know anyone who thinks the ultimate goal of the program should be a 9-win season. But I also hope there are very, very few people who think 9-win seasons at State are now something to roll our eyes over. And if there are others out there who think similarly, then it's solely because of Dan Mullen that you're able to do that.

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Take out the two 5* players and Ole Misses class isn't any better than ours. It isn't realistic to expect MSU and the city of Starkville to roll out the red carpet for every recruit but we certainly can do it for two 5* players. I think a huge part of the problem is that we don't identify the few elite talents we want to go after early enough and Mullen just doesn't even try for those players unless they are in Mississippi. If Mullen will identify just 5-6 5* talents and get that leaked to the fans we can definitely see Starkville and MSU roll out the red carpet for recruits. We do it already to a certain extent we just don't let the fans in on who they need to be showing the love to.

BB30
01-04-2016, 04:13 PM

so nothing short of running the table will equal "every now and then" damn we finished the season 10-3 and were in the running for the sec west until the last week of the season. I would consider that competing for championships or the closest thing possible to it. Yea we slipped at the end but expecting to run the table every now and then is a bit much seeing as Bama has not done that in 3 years and they in my opinion would be the best measuring stick for success and where we would like to be.

kojak
01-04-2016, 04:18 PM
What if we had an avg class of 6.5 in the country the previous 4 classes, presently #7, and hired the biggest named DC available last year? Would you be happy then? Well that's what auburn did and they've had a 15-11 record the last 2 years while we've been 19-7.

I want us to recruit better on the oline and speed on defense, but I'm not ready to scrap what we've been doing completely bc we've lost our last 2 egg bowls... After all, losing those eggs is why we're melting

and are about to lose 4 out of 5 egg bowls, you won't coach at state for long. State's success has to begin with winning its share of egg bowls. Cuz if you aren't doing that you sure as hell aren't meeting any larger goals you may have. All there is to it.

Gatordog
01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks I do appreciate what Dan has done for us and hope he continues to improve on what he has built. If anything patience has always been part of being a MSU fan.

sandwolf
01-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Take out the two 5* players and Ole Misses class isn't any better than ours.

Huh? Am I missing the sarcasm here? Even if you could magically take away their two 5 stars, they would still have 4.5 times as many 4 star players as we do......and they would still have a top 15-20 class.

tcdog70
01-04-2016, 05:27 PM
It works both ways you know.

My point was we have had teams in the past that would have won 9 games if you threw in an extra cupcake. Hell Jackie had a team stay home with 7-4 record.

BB30
01-04-2016, 05:37 PM
My point was we have had teams in the past that would have won 9 games if you threw in an extra cupcake. Hell Jackie had a team stay home with 7-4 record.

That point can go both ways, Jackie caught a down SEC west whereas Mullen has had to coach in the most dominate division of football since he has been here. And if I remember correctly we had a similar melt at the end of the season after beating UF, Auburn, and Alabama, we had a chance to win the west again and lost to Arkansas and Ole Miss to finish the year in 2000.

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Huh? Am I missing the sarcasm here? Even if you could magically take away their two 5 stars, they would still have 4.5 times as many 4 star players as we do......and they would still have a top 15-20 class.

No you aren't missing any sarcasm. You are however drinking every drop off the recruiting bullshit that Ole Miss loves to funnel. I will say it again. Take away their two 5* players and their class isn't all that much better than ours is right now. How many of their "4 stars" are 4* if they are MSU commits? How many of our 3* are suddenly 4* if they are Bama commits? College football recruiting is trash. Stop eating it all up.

TaleofTwoDogs
01-05-2016, 01:21 AM

Excuse me, but I think the rocker on the porch and your mint julep is calling. What you call bitching is just the fan base airing their frustration with the inability of the program to cross that ever elusive "elite" threshold.
I know, it is irrational, stupid and possibly crazy, but damn it, we what to win a championship. This fan base has been patient for 130 years and it's really frustrating to get so close (2014) and piss it away. ShotgunDawg is right, forget the previous three 9 win seasons - we all know the reasons behind that suckatude. The time is now, the attitude can be made right (just win) and the money is plentiful. One poster said we need to spend more money on a new press box, more sky boxes, etc. I have never known an athlete refuse to go to a school because he was not impressed with the press box. Three things will thrust us over that elite barrier - 1) leadership, 2) great coaching (pay and retain the best asst coaches), 3) recruiting 4 & 5 * players. Certain things can be done to enhance these 3 things but everybody needs to be on board and willing to do their part.

sandwolf
01-05-2016, 02:17 AM
No you aren't missing any sarcasm. You are however drinking every drop off the recruiting bullshit that Ole Miss loves to funnel. I will say it again. Take away their two 5* players and their class isn't all that much better than ours is right now. How many of their "4 stars" are 4* if they are MSU commits? How many of our 3* are suddenly 4* if they are Bama commits? College football recruiting is trash. Stop eating it all up.

Oh dear God.....so now OM commits are getting bumped a star right along side Bama commits? How many of their commits have been bumped a star after they committed?

Look, there is no doubt that the recruiting sites look at who the Nick Saban's and the Urban Meyer's of the world are recruiting when they rate these prospects......but they aren't waiting until after they commit to release their ratings. If OM gets a guy that is rated 4 stars and is being recruited by Bama, LSU, etc., then they probably got a legitimately good prospect.

I don't even know why I am trying.....if you are honestly going to try to make any kind of argument that places our current class on the same level as theirs (even without the two 5 stars), then we may as well just agree to disagree.

BulldogBear
01-05-2016, 10:17 AM

^This.

It's a soap opera for men.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Oh dear God.....so now OM commits are getting bumped a star right along side Bama commits? How many of their commits have been bumped a star after they committed?

Look, there is no doubt that the recruiting sites look at who the Nick Saban's and the Urban Meyer's of the world are recruiting when they rate these prospects......but they aren't waiting until after they commit to release their ratings. If OM gets a guy that is rated 4 stars and is being recruited by Bama, LSU, etc., then they probably got a legitimately good prospect.

I don't even know why I am trying.....if you are honestly going to try to make any kind of argument that places our current class on the same level as theirs (even without the two 5 stars), then we may as well just agree to disagree.

I'll say it a third time. Take out the two 5* and Ole Miss class is no better than ours. Seems to me like you just love how they recruit. You can twitter stalk like them all you like too ya know.

Political Hack
01-05-2016, 01:00 PM
It's offers. Committable offers from big time programs = more stars. Pretty easy to digest the scheme. The "recruiting analyst" are ok at identifying talent but their primary job is to build a relationship with the kids and their network to figure out where they're going. They aren't getting hired by 247 and scout because they're world class talent evaluators. If they were they'd be working a war room on draft day for an NFL team. And please don't take that as a shot at any of our RA's (especially Paul since I like him... Y'all can take it as a shot at the keyboard sheriff).

engie
01-05-2016, 01:11 PM
I'll say it a third time. Take out the two 5* and Ole Miss class is no better than ours.

Ok, I did it.

179.44 for us.
228.66 for them.

Taking out those two players -- their current class without adding anyone would be Mullen's second best class in his career here(to last year's) per the sites.

I agree that we generally recruit pretty similarly to them -- but there is a wide gulf in between the two in this class right now...

Coach34
01-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Ok, I did it.

179.44 for us.
228.66 for them.

Taking out those two players -- their current class without adding anyone would be Mullen's second best class in his career here(to last year's) per the sites.

I agree that we generally recruit pretty similarly to them -- but there is a wide gulf in between the two in this class right now...

Are you sure???

We are going to have 6 players drafted this April
We had 5 last April

Thats 11 the last 2 years- only 1 of those 11 picks was a 4-star- ONE

We simply need to recruit better upfront.

Dawg61
01-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Ok, I did it.

179.44 for us.
228.66 for them.

Appreciate you doing this but is that a composite ranking? Doesn't matter really though because it isn't NSD and we should still land a few nice fish before then. I will agree that we need to do a better job at landing 2-3 five star players every year. Ole Miss destroys us here. They use those names to sell everything else and it's working just look at the reaction on this board.

sandwolf
01-05-2016, 04:23 PM
It's offers. Committable offers from big time programs = more stars. Pretty easy to digest the scheme. The "recruiting analyst" are ok at identifying talent but their primary job is to build a relationship with the kids and their network to figure out where they're going. They aren't getting hired by 247 and scout because they're world class talent evaluators. If they were they'd be working a war room on draft day for an NFL team. And please don't take that as a shot at any of our RA's (especially Paul since I like him... Y'all can take it as a shot at the keyboard sheriff).

I agree with everything in your post, especially the bolded part.

sandwolf
01-05-2016, 04:36 PM
228.66 for them.

Which would currently be the 17th ranked class in the country.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Are you sure???

We are going to have 6 players drafted this April
We had 5 last April

Thats 11 the last 2 years- only 1 of those 11 picks was a 4-star- ONE

We simply need to recruit better upfront.

Chris Jones was a 5 star. Redmond was a 4 star.

Coach34
01-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Chris Jones was a 5 star. Redmond was a 4 star.

Jones was a composite 4-star

I'd had forgotten Redmond was a composite 4-star....so 2 of the 11

sandwolf
01-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Jones was a composite 4-star

Your point still stands, but Jones was a composite 5 star.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Jones-21625?Institution=14146

Coach34
01-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Your point still stands, but Jones was a composite 5 star.

http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Jones-21625?Institution=14146

Hmmm. I went by this- http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits