PDA

View Full Version : hahaha- now someone saying..

Coach34
01-03-2016, 09:30 PM
It's Mel Tucker...gotta love this time of year. I like Tucker more than Allen truth be told. Supposedly we'll all know by Tuesday at the latest

Nobody is saying its Orgeron though. Interesting

Leroy Jenkins
01-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Dan wont hire Tucker... Dan seems like a person who would always ensure he had the best credentials in the room. Tucker has too much NFL coaching experience.

From Tucker's bio:

Tucker began his coaching career in 1997 as a graduate assistant for the Michigan State University Spartans under head coach Nick Saban. In 1999 he served as a defensive backs coach for the Miami University Redhawks, and then in 2000 followed Saban to Louisiana State University to fill the same position with the LSU Tigers. In 2001 he became defensive backs coach for the Ohio State University Buckeyes under coach Jim Tressel, and in 2004 he was made co-defensive coordinator.

In 2005 Tucker entered the National Football League with the Cleveland Browns. He coached defensive backs from 2005?2007 and was promoted to defensive coordinator in the 2008 season following the firing of Todd Grantham. Under Tucker, Cleveland consistently ranked fifth in the league, with the defense making 73 interceptions. After the firing of Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, Tucker was replaced by Rob Ryan.

In 2009 Tucker was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive coordinator. In the 2011 season head coach Jack Del Rio put Tucker in charge of defensive play-calling, and the team quickly became the fourth highest rated in the NFL. On November 29, 2011, Tucker was named Jacksonville's interim head coach following the firing of Del Rio. He ran the team for their final five games and was in consideration for the job full-time until Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was named head coach on January 10, 2012. Tucker got his first victory as a head coach in week 14, a 41-14 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He went 2-3 as interim head coach. On January 12, 2012 he informed the media he would return to his position as defensive coordinator for the Jaguars. On January 13, 2012 it was announced that Tucker would also be the assistant head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. On January 18, 2013 Tucker was named defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears.

Following one of the worst defensive seasons in Bears' history in 2013, Tucker criticized by the media. As a result, team fired two of Tucker's assistant coaches, linebackers coach Tim Tibesar and defensive line coach Mike Phair. The Bears replaced them with Paul Pasqualoni as defensive line coach and Reggie Herring as linebackers coach.

On January 20, 2015, following another record-setting low defensive season for the Bears, Tucker was replaced by former San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio under new head coach John Fox.

On January 26, 2015, it was reported Alabama was hiring Tucker as its DB coach.

GreenheadDawg
01-03-2016, 09:37 PM
If it's not tucker or Thompson, I'm gonna be disappointed. I think these guys can coach AND improve recruiting

Homedawg
01-03-2016, 09:37 PM
I
It's Mel Tucker...gotta love this time of year. I like Tucker more than Allen truth be told. Supposedly we'll all know by Tuesday at the latest

Nobody is saying its Orgeron though. Interesting

Wait what? Preacher Matt said...........

Coach34
01-03-2016, 09:38 PM
I think we have made a good hire if it Tucker, Allen, or Thompson- all 3 guys are good defensive coaches

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 09:43 PM
I think we have made a good hire if it Tucker, Allen, or Thompson- all 3 guys are good defensive coaches

Agree. Will be happy with either one of those.

Irondawg
01-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Yeah none of them are bad options. I lean toward liking Allen best

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 09:55 PM

I'm always wary of pro guys. A lot of them have a hard time adjusting to college. Guys like Greg Robinson, Monte Kiffen and Cam Cameron. It's a completely different game especially the time you are allowed to practice and be with the players.

deltadawg99
01-03-2016, 09:58 PM
How is Tucker as a recruiter?

Leroy Jenkins
01-03-2016, 10:02 PM
How is Tucker as a recruiter?

I dont know if you can judge any bama coach on recruiting. They dont really have to sell anything, they select moreso than recruit.

Coach34
01-03-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm always wary of pro guys. A lot of them have a hard time adjusting to college. Guys like Greg Robinson, Monte Kiffen and Cam Cameron. It's a completely different game especially the time you are allowed to practice and be with the players.

He's coached at 5 universities including Bama, LSU, and Ohio St

Sacrifice
01-03-2016, 10:09 PM
How did Mel Tucker go from an NFL DC/ interim HC/ Potential HC candidate to the DB coach at Bama?

TUSK
01-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Tucker or Thompson would be good for yall, IMO...

Tucker did wonders for our 2ndary between '14 & '15... I dunno much about his recruiting prowess, though...

TUSK
01-03-2016, 10:14 PM
How did Mel Tucker go from an NFL DC/ interim HC/ Potential HC candidate to the DB coach at Bama?

He's one of Saban's GAs from Michigan State.

mic
01-03-2016, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Sacrifice;479760]How did Mel Tucker go from an NFL DC/ interim HC/ Potential HC candidate to the DB coach at Bama?[/QUOT

Probably was still getting paid this year by the Bears when he was let go when they hired Foxx.. and Bama picks him up at a discount price...
Another reason they are light years ahead of us...

Stuff like this would blow the minds of our AD and decision makers...

chef dixon
01-03-2016, 10:19 PM
I honestly don't care who we get. Just hire one of them. Bring in some guys that can run faster than half the ones on our D then we will start seeing a big difference.

TUSK
01-03-2016, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Sacrifice;479760]How did Mel Tucker go from an NFL DC/ interim HC/ Potential HC candidate to the DB coach at Bama?[/QUOT

Probably was still getting paid this year by the Bears when he was let go when they hired Foxx.. and Bama picks him up at a discount price...
Another reason they are light years ahead of us...

Stuff like this would blow the minds of our AD and decision makers...

good point, Mic... hell, USC is still paying our OC to shred opposing defenses, I think...

Big4Dawg
01-03-2016, 10:33 PM
So Tucker would coach S and DC? And then we would bring in a LB coach. I would make it happen and bring in Lance, name him RC, LB coach, and Co-DC. Would both be home run hires.

BossDawg
01-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Bring in some guys that can run faster than half the ones on our D then we will start seeing a big difference.

Some speed on defense would certainly be welcomed. That's one thing I do like about the UMiss defense, they are very fast and aggressive.

mic
01-03-2016, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=mic;479764]

good point, Mic... hell, USC is still paying our OC to shred opposing defenses, I think...

And with all the NFL firings starting today (San Fran head huy just got fired ) and this week ,
Bama and Saban along with other schools that are always working to get better will scoop up some NFL guys at discount pricing..
While we sit back and Country Club It Up...

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=mic;479764]

No offense but Kiffen's job isn't exactly difficult. Run Henry up the middle, bubble screen Ridley, throw it deep on play-action. Rinse and repeat.

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 12:21 AM

Humor me. What was the age of each of those guys including Tucker when they went back to college coaching?

TUSK
01-04-2016, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=TUSK;479771]

No offense but Kiffen's job isn't exactly difficult. Run Henry up the middle, bubble screen Ridley, throw it deep on play-action. Rinse and repeat.

I'd agree that superior talent mitigates what's "difficult" as a coach, but you can't deny that Kiffin has advanced Bammer's Offense a bunch...

In hind site, hiring Kiffin was a terrific call by MDL.... I hope he hangs around...

Statefan
01-04-2016, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=Dawg61;479804]

I'd agree that superior talent mitigates what's "difficult" as a coach, but you can't deny that Kiffin has advanced Bammer's Offense a bunch...

In hind site, hiring Kiffin was a terrific call by MDL.... I hope he hangs around...

What Kiffen was able to do with Blake Sims as a QB is still amazing

Todd4State
01-04-2016, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=TUSK;479771]

He makes it a hell of a lot harder than it looks against Ole Miss.

Todd4State
01-04-2016, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=Dawg61;479804]

I thought Kiffen was a good hire because he is a good OC. He's just not a good head coach and he exacerbated that by acting like a spoiled brat.

Dawg61
01-04-2016, 02:44 AM

Bama is just executing the play action to perfection right now. Especially the deep fly. That on top of having the single best rushing season in the history of the SEC by Henry makes Bama's offense look brilliant. It really isn't advanced at all it's just that nobody has proven they can stop ten play action bombs to the WRs yet. When the defense doesn't give up 40 yard passes Bama will get shut down. Problem again is that Bama has been practicing it so long they have perfected it. Saban has nitpicked that play for a decade. He's running it better than anyone else ever.

raymond21
01-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Nobody on this board has a clue who the next DC may or may not be. It's fun speculating and discussing but end of day no one knows. More than likely be someone that hasn't even been discussed. Keep up the guessing, it makes for good entertainment

MetEdDawg
01-04-2016, 06:59 AM
Nobody on this board has a clue who the next DC may or may not be. It's fun speculating and discussing but end of day no one knows. More than likely be someone that hasn't even been discussed. Keep up the guessing, it makes for good entertainment

And that to me is a problem. Steele to Auburn got a ton of play in the media before it happened. But we seemingly have no clue who the hell we are even going after. Make a splash, you get mentioned. We really never do. That's a bit concerning to me. Hell Alabama's strength coach got an insane amount of media play for staying. Wish we could do the same. Would help our image tremendously.

AROB44
01-04-2016, 07:51 AM
In any case, 2016 will probably be Mullen's last year. He is at the tail end of the useful life of a coach. I will wish him well and we will start over.

basedog
01-04-2016, 08:16 AM
And that to me is a problem. Steele to Auburn got a ton of play in the media before it happened. But we seemingly have no clue who the hell we are even going after. Make a splash, you get mentioned. We really never do. That's a bit concerning to me. Hell Alabama's strength coach got an insane amount of media play for staying. Wish we could do the same. Would help our image tremendously.

Couple of things Met. One we ain't Bama, they may be the only program to get pub about a strength coach. Two, do you not think Mullen is not talking to a DC? Come on mane! I'm betting He has several DC he has talked to. Having no clue we are going after is nonsense for you to say.

It hasn't been a week yet about Diaz leaving and we have folks bitching cause we don't have a DC in place is mind blowing.
As for as a splash, there will be one soon when Dan hires a DC, problem is some will grade it a big failure regardless. The more I read the more I realize Mullen is just an idiot who ........just fill in the blank.
Sad we can't or don't enjoy success, 9-4 is a good thing to build on!

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Steele got a lot of air time for 2 reasons. 1. He was leaving another SEC school. 2. Auburn had been turned down publicly by multiple coaches (Charles Kelly, Jeremy Pruitt, Bob Shoop, Tom Allen, etc).

Spiderman
01-04-2016, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=Dawg61;479804]

Except for going brain dead 2 years in a row against Ole Miss

maroonmania
01-04-2016, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=TUSK;479806]

Except for going brain dead 2 years in a row against Ole Miss

Yep, Kiffin (unless it was a Saban decision) loses some serious cred for starting a QB against OM that had no business starting. If that call isn't made Bama is sitting undefeated right now.

mparkerfd20
01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
In any case, 2016 will probably be Mullen's last year. He is at the tail end of the useful life of a coach. I will wish him well and we will start over.

I think you may have hit on the perception right now anyway and that's why I think it's going to be difficult for us to find a DC.

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 10:49 AM

You think Mullen is going to go from 10-3, to 9-4, to 7-6? 8-5? and then jump to another job?

Mullen is not likely to be a hot name next year and the team should be set up for 2017 to be a better season than 2016.

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Dawg61;479804]

He makes it a hell of a lot harder than it looks against Ole Miss.

Yup. His problem is that he's not willing to simply be boring. He's thrown away two wins in the past two years because he was unwilling to take the Les Miles approach and grind it out and wear down the other team's D and let his own D carry him.

Coach34
01-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Nobody big will want Mullen after next year and he can't afford the paycut to go to a lower P5 school

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 10:54 AM
I honestly don't care who we get. Just hire one of them. Bring in some guys that can run faster than half the ones on our D then we will start seeing a big difference.

That's a lot of it. After Will went down everyone saw how slow our secondary really was. 240 lb RBs were running off leaving our CBs and Ss in the dust. Fix the speed and it'll help. Correct angles and it'll help. Put the young talent on the field and it'll help. There's a lot of ways to get a better secondary in the field and I expect our new DC to accomplish that. I wasn't impressed with Manny this year.

defiantdog
01-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Nobody big will want Mullen after next year and he can't afford the paycut to go to a lower P5 school
Are you saying that no one wants a 6 - 6 coach?

basedog
01-04-2016, 10:57 AM
We shall see. There will always be job openings.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM

You want to wager all your Vcash that the next DC's name has been posted on this board before???

NCDawg
01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Yeah none of them are bad options. I lean toward liking Allen best

I thought Auburn was going to hire Allen until his defense got run over by Western Kentucky in their final game. Guess that turned Malzahn off.

defiantdog
01-04-2016, 12:37 PM
I thought Auburn was going to hire Allen until his defense got run over by Western Kentucky in their final game. Guess that turned Malzahn off.
I'd take Allen over Steele.

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 12:45 PM

No. Allen turned Auburn down

Dawgtini
01-04-2016, 01:25 PM

And according to some on a pay board, Manny turned them down as well (some say twice).

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 01:33 PM
And according to some on a pay board, Manny turned them down as well (some say twice).

Yep as well as others like Shoop

RougeDawg
01-04-2016, 01:34 PM
That's a lot of it. After Will went down everyone saw how slow our secondary really was. 240 lb RBs were running off leaving our CBs and Ss in the dust. Fix the speed and it'll help. Correct angles and it'll help. Put the young talent on the field and it'll help. There's a lot of ways to get a better secondary in the field and I expect our new DC to accomplish that. I wasn't impressed with Manny this year.

This goes for both sides of the ball and we would have a handful more W's these last few seasons, if our coaching staff used this philosophy.

NCDawg
01-04-2016, 01:35 PM

And you know this, how? Do you know Allen personally?

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
And you know this, how? Do you know Allen personally?

http://gridironnow.com/what-happened-with-tom-allen-and-auburn/

http://sports.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/report-penn-state-dc-bob-shoop-turns-down-auburn/

Kelly turned them down, Shoop, Allen was a done deal then nothing for several days, insiders state he turned it down, Diaz turns it down twice (one offer then another for more money), then they end up with Steele. They were scrambling to find somebody to take the job. It's not rocket surgery to see what was happening.

NCDawg
01-04-2016, 02:05 PM
http://gridironnow.com/what-happened-with-tom-allen-and-auburn/

http://sports.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/report-penn-state-dc-bob-shoop-turns-down-auburn/

Kelly turned them down, Shoop, Allen was a done deal then nothing for several days, insiders state he turned it down, Diaz turns it down twice (one offer then another for more money), then they end up with Steele. They were scrambling to find somebody to take the job. It's not rocket surgery to see what was happening.

Thanks for the articles. It's still not clear to me whether or not Malzahn turned him down. The first article said, "he wasn't good enough for Malzahn". He may be a great coach for us if we hire him, who knows?

Really Clark?
01-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the articles. It's still not clear to me whether or not Malzahn turned him down. The first article said, "he wasn't good enough for Malzahn". He may be a great coach for us if we hire him, who knows?

By that point, Auburn was doing everything to keep stuff out of the media since they had 2 public turn downs. They almost had a dumpster fire of a DC search, especially if Steele had accepted LSU's counter offer. Really any one of Tucker, Allen, Thompson, the three mentioned the most would be really good hires. Each with a stronger point in certain areas but good defensive guys. Personally I like Tucker and Allen better. However would love combinations of Tucker & Thompson (wont happen I believe) or Allen & Buckley, which is what appears the more likely scenario.