PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cruises

Statecoachingblows**
01-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Taking a breather from recruiting and coaching searches. I'm looking at booking a family cruise. Found some good deals to Cozumel and the Yucatan. With all going on in Mexico I have no idea what areas would be good or at least safe. Seems many of you are pretty knowledgeable on a lot of random stuff and thought I could ask. We've done Disney cruise line in the past and it was nice, but pretty steep. Never been on Carnival so thats another concern with the events of a few years ago. Also considering the Alaskan whale watching just cause that sh*t would be awesome. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Mjoelner34
01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Just got back from my very first one and had a great time. Took the Carnival Elation out of New Orleans to Cozumel and Progreso. Looked to me like they had a ton of stuff for kids to do onboard the ship too. Since it was Christmas break, kids were everywhere and except for one little shit that punched every button every time he got off of the elevator, they were all pretty well behaved. My girlfriend, the cruise veteran, booked the excursions at both places. She said it is cheaper and usually better than the ones from the ship although you risk getting left behind if something goes wrong. Went snorkeling in Cozumel and to Uxmal in Progreso. It's smaller than Chicken Pizza but a LOT less crowded and you get to climb one of the pyramids. Our tour group there was only 6 people so it was pretty nice.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Taking a breather from recruiting and coaching searches. I'm looking at booking a family cruise. Found some good deals to Cozumel and the Yucatan. With all going on in Mexico I have no idea what areas would be good or at least safe. Seems many of you are pretty knowledgeable on a lot of random stuff and thought I could ask. We've done Disney cruise line in the past and it was nice, but pretty steep. Never been on Carnival so thats another concern with the events of a few years ago. Also considering the Alaskan whale watching just cause that sh*t would be awesome. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

I've been to Alaska on a cruise. It was incredible. Another US based option is New England/Canada on the east coast, I've done one of those (out of Boston) as well. The rest of my six have been in Europe (British Isles, Baltic, London to Rome, Norway). I've never been to the Caribbean on a cruise. As far as lines go, My son was 13 on the first one but we don't go for the traditional "family" lines. My son likes seeing the places though, not playing or socializing. We have done one on Princess, one on Cunard, and four on Holland America. We all really like HAL. The people are older as a rule but it's real laid back. If non-stop "action" is your thing you probably wouldn't like any of those three lines. I liked Cunard but it is VERY British. The rest of the family wasn't as happy with it. It's a very dressy line though. THAT I didn't like.

Statecoachingblows**
01-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks fellas, never thought about the northeast interesting option

Statecoachingblows**
01-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Will have the kids so definitely looking to keep them interested. Elevator kid haha I dealt with one of those the last cruise we were on. Swear to god he just sat in the elevator waiting on us to get on

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Guess y'all saw where some electrical worker on a cruise ship was working in an elevator shaft when he got crushed. They got video of blood pouring down the outside of the door like something outside a Stephen King story.

Dawgtini
01-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Just got back before Christmas on a carnival cruise and one of the stops was Cozumel. Awesome cruise experience. Took the kids, this was their second on Carnival and they love it. They have plenty of "stuff" for all ages and not too formal. Already planning another. Grand Cayman was the tits!