PDA

View Full Version : MSU Football

J Paul Ronvonski III
01-03-2016, 02:40 PM
We have improved currently compared to the last 40 years. Do you think we will step it up and take it to the next level to compete consistently for a SEC and possibly a NAT Championship. What I mean is in coaching and recruiting.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Thread number 188. If you want to hear that opinion just surf the last 10 pages of this message board.

Coach34
01-03-2016, 03:24 PM
We have improved currently compared to the last 40 years. Do you think we will step it up and take it to the next level to compete consistently for a SEC and possibly a NAT Championship. What I mean is in coaching and recruiting.

Well, we have elevated from the bottom to the middle. Gonna take some improved recruiting in the trenches to get higher

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Well, we have elevated from the bottom to the middle. Gonna take some improved recruiting in the trenches to get higher

That's a huge piece of it, but Mullen needs to get imaginative again on offense. He's used to calling plays with Dak, he's going to have to be sharper next season. A lot of people don't think about it, but it's a huge change for him to deal with. He doesn't have a 5th year Sr taking snaps anymore.

That, and we need someone who will be here for a while to call the defense. Whoever we hire as DC could easily be an upgrade over anything Mullen has ever had. Let's see if we're serious about giving him that. And it damn well better be written into his contract that he can't leave for another DC job.

bulldawg28
01-03-2016, 05:03 PM
That's a huge piece of it, but Mullen needs to get imaginative again on offense. He's used to calling plays with Dak, he's going to have to be sharper next season. A lot of people don't think about it, but it's a huge change for him to deal with. He doesn't have a 5th year Sr taking snaps anymore.

That, and we need someone who will be here for a while to call the defense. Whoever we hire as DC could easily be an upgrade over anything Mullen has ever had. Let's see if we're serious about giving him that. And it damn well better be written into his contract that he can't leave for another DC job.

IMO, Dak leaving will be a good thing for his play calling. It's funny Dan has/had come less creative with Dak in the offense. He was more creative with lesser talent under center to me.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 05:05 PM
IMO, Dak leaving will be a good thing for his play calling. It's funny Dan has/had come less creative with Dak in the offense. He was more creative with lesser talent under center to me.

I agree. I think he knows he has to depend more on himself now than he did with Dak.

MetEdDawg
01-03-2016, 05:55 PM
I said from the beginning when Mullen got here it would take him 10 years to build a championship program. We had to establish multiple years of successful and consistent recruiting, change culture and program, build a pattern of success, establish an identity, and build an elite staff.

If we finish this class off strong with some solid OL guys, get Simmons and AJ, and bring in some solid coaches, we will be there. I know it's way in the future, but year 10, which is 2018, is the year. We will be littered with highly rated juniors and seniors at most every position. We should be 6-8 wins next year, 8-10 the next year, and SEC championship caliber in 2018.

This 3 year stretch will define Mullen for me because let's be honest. Dak was a miracle that may never come around again. We may have really good QBs, but he was perfect for us. But what does Dan do now? If he makes solid hires, gets the AD to spend the necessary money, and brings in the recruits to be successful, we can sustain this thing long term at a high level. But he's got to be willing to change and give up a little control to do it. I know what Mullen has done to get us to this point. Question now is does he know how to maintain a consistent winner. Next 3 years will tell me whether or not he can do it. Lot of people have judged him already. But know he's at a completely different junction in his career and our programs career. New set of rules with the success we've had. Can he adjust to do what it takes now that we've seen some high level success?

JDog13
01-03-2016, 06:37 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/2d8q1xy.gif

Boya
01-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I said from the beginning when Mullen got here it would take him 10 years to build a championship program. We had to establish multiple years of successful and consistent recruiting, change culture and program, build a pattern of success, establish an identity, and build an elite staff.

If we finish this class off strong with some solid OL guys, get Simmons and AJ, and bring in some solid coaches, we will be there. I know it's way in the future, but year 10, which is 2018, is the year. We will be littered with highly rated juniors and seniors at most every position. We should be 6-8 wins next year, 8-10 the next year, and SEC championship caliber in 2018.

This 3 year stretch will define Mullen for me because let's be honest. Dak was a miracle that may never come around again. We may have really good QBs, but he was perfect for us. But what does Dan do now? If he makes solid hires, gets the AD to spend the necessary money, and brings in the recruits to be successful, we can sustain this thing long term at a high level. But he's got to be willing to change and give up a little control to do it. I know what Mullen has done to get us to this point. Question now is does he know how to maintain a consistent winner. Next 3 years will tell me whether or not he can do it. Lot of people have judged him already. But know he's at a completely different junction in his career and our programs career. New set of rules with the success we've had. Can he adjust to do what it takes now that we've seen some high level success?

Well said...

I agree that the key to making the next run (2017 or 2018) a championship level run will be getting some elite 3 and done types mixed into this class and the 2017 class. To take the next step we need more elite talent mixed with our great evaluating and development.

Barking 13
01-03-2016, 07:20 PM

Double points, but it wouldn't let me...

ETA: We have become Georgia...

Jack Lambert
01-03-2016, 08:36 PM
I agree. I think he knows he has to depend more on himself now than he did with Dak.

I think Dak Graduating will be the best thing to happen to Mullen.