PDA

View Full Version : I'll spell this out for everybody again

Coach34
01-03-2016, 02:03 PM
We dont need a "recruiter" to be our DC- we need a good DC

People are freaking out about OM right now beating us at home- me included. But if you really look at things- we are losing to them and Bama because the SEC is a LOS League and we are losing miserably there on the OL.

In 2014- we lost in Oxford and Tuscaloosa. Come April, that 2014 defense will have had 7 players drafted off of it. Thats not a lack of talent.

Our OL has gotten raped by those 2 teams the last 2 seasons. Almost half the sacks we have given up the last 2 years have come from those games.

We have had the All-SEC QB the last 2 years
We had 2 of the 4 All-SEC Wr's this year
We have 4 draft picks on D this year alone.

We have yet to have an OL player recruited by Mullen/Hevesy drafted to the NFL. This is where we are losing the battle. Its painfully obvious.

Does our #Network need to get better? Absolutely. But our glaring problem and lack of an SEC West title is because of our OL. There is no denying it at this point.

coastdoglover
01-03-2016, 02:08 PM
couldn't have said it better myself. Mullen being stubborn and letting Hevesey have such a voice in the whole picture has hindered MSU more than anything else.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Hev hates recruiting. Fix that or tell him to pack his bags. It's our most glaring weakness.

Is this buddy system prevalent at other universities or is it just an MSU problem?

CadaverDawg
01-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Hev hates recruiting. Fix that or tell him to pack his bags. It's our most glaring weakness.

Is this buddy system prevalent at other universities or is it just an MSU problem?

It's either an MSU problem, or else other head coaches have buddies that are better coaches/recruiters/people so we never hear about them. Ha

Coach34
01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
While we are currently 42nd in recruiting- just adding Brown, Lashley, and Knott would put us around 22nd

Jacksondevildog
01-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Seems like this could be a quick fix if only we had top lineman talent in and around Starkville and West Point committed. **

But seriously, if Lashley's uncle was John Avery and Lashley played at Bruce, his ass would have been committed to Ole Miss months ago. This is why we are behind the curve in recruiting. We have to struggle with our "ins".

NCDawg
It's either an MSU problem, or else other head coaches have buddies that are better coaches/recruiters/people so we never hear about them. Ha

So, the question arises, what do we do? Do we continue to let Ole Miss hand our butts to us on the field and in recruiting? I was thinking (hoping) we could get a top flight recruiter in, such as Orgeron, to be competitive with Ole Miss again. It appears to me if we continue on the path we are currently on, our future is bleak to say the least.

CadaverDawg
Coach, I agree with you on your post....

But you have to admit it's pretty ironic that you and others were all about that "coaches recruit AREAS, not Positions" mantra when you were defending Hevesy the last several years. Now it's all about how Hevesy can't recruit OL. Which I agree with. Glad everyone woke up to the fact that Hevesy & his Yankee attitude are hurting us on the recruiting trail

msstate7
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
While we are currently 42nd in recruiting- just adding Brown, Lashley, and Knott would put us around 22nd

I notice you left out Simmons... Getting nervous on him?

Hopefully we aren't done on moon after losing manny. Couch and Kobe would be big gets too

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM

It's January. We need to be 22nd and moving into the top 10-15 if we close on X, Y, and Z.

SDDawg
01-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Right on, thanks C34 and good points all around.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2016, 02:29 PM
So, the question arises, what do we do? Do we continue to let Ole Miss hand our butts to us on the field and in recruiting? I was thinking (hoping) we could get a top flight recruiter in, such as Orgeron, to be competitive with Ole Miss again. It appears to me if we continue on the path we are currently on, our future is bleak to say the least.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not one that views Ole Miss as our only game of the year. We have won 19 games the last two years, so I don't want to blow up the whole staff because we can't beat a heavily cheating Ole Miss & a National power like Bama. We need recruiting improvement with some strategical hires and maybe a few buddy firings...not a head coaching change, imo.

Coach34
01-03-2016, 02:32 PM

But you have to admit it's pretty ironic that you and others were all about that "coaches recruit AREAS, not Positions" mantra when you were defending Hevesy the last several years. Now it's all about how Hevesy can't recruit OL. Which I agree with. Glad everyone woke up to the fact that Hevesy & his Yankee attitude are hurting us on the recruiting trail

Hevesy has never put an OL that bad on the field as he did in 2015. And there are no excuses- we had exactly what you want this year- all starters Jr's or better. That's the epitome of "developmental program". When you fail at the very thing your program is known for- its time for a change

BeastMan
01-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Chuck Heater for DC. Beast Man's endorsement

Coach34
01-03-2016, 02:34 PM
I notice you left out Simmons... Getting nervous on him?

Hopefully we aren't done on moon after losing manny. Couch and Kobe would be big gets too

Simmons is the huge wildcard. OM thinks they have him locked down. State people think Momma loves them and wont let him go to Oxford. Bama still in play. And I know less about his recruiting than the other 3

It's crootin

gravedigger
01-03-2016, 02:36 PM
We dont need a "recruiter" to be our DC- we need a good DC

People are freaking out about OM right now beating us at home- me included. But if you really look at things- we are losing to them and Bama because the SEC is a LOS League and we are losing miserably there on the OL.

In 2014- we lost in Oxford and Tuscaloosa. Come April, that 2014 defense will have had 7 players drafted off of it. Thats not a lack of talent.

Our OL has gotten raped by those 2 teams the last 2 seasons. Almost half the sacks we have given up the last 2 years have come from those games.

We have had the All-SEC QB the last 2 years
We had 2 of the 4 All-SEC Wr's this year
We have 4 draft picks on D this year alone.

We have yet to have an OL player recruited by Mullen/Hevesy drafted to the NFL. This is where we are losing the battle. Its painfully obvious.

Does our #Network need to get better? Absolutely. But our glaring problem and lack of an SEC West title is because of our OL. There is no denying it at this point.

I cant for the life of me understand why Orgeron gets credit for the way Freeze recruited.

CadaverDawg
01-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Hevesy has never put an OL that bad on the field as he did in 2015. And there are no excuses- we had exactly what you want this year- all starters Jr's or better. That's the epitome of "developmental program". When you fail at the very thing your program is known for- its time for a change

Agree

Coach34
01-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I cant for the life of me understand why Orgeron gets credit for the way Freeze recruited.

Orgeron put the template in place

"Get them on campus and make them love this place- whatever it takes. Pay them to visit if we have to"

CadaverDawg
01-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Chuck Heater for DC. Beast Man's endorsement

Spent time with Dan at Florida as Co-DC/S which is what we need...but he's 63, so it doesn't fit our DC model as of late. Interesting name, and there could definitely be worse hires.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 02:47 PM

B/C Oregon taught Freeze everything he knows about recruiting. Freeze took that knowledge and then added religion to the equation to rack up in recruiting.

I agree with Coach's post. O-line recruiting is what has held up back to this point. But now that we have lost Hughes and Sleep and have Sallach as a recruiter, I'm worried going about this class and going forward. If we were to not sign AJ, Knott and Simmons-which is certainly possible, this class would be a disaster. Especially coming off a season where we were no. 1 in the country.

basedog
01-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Missing folks like a 4 star Robinson who was way over rated made things bad also. No doubt our OL is in bad shape overall.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Spent time with Dan at Florida as Co-DC/S which is what we need...but he's 63, so it doesn't fit our DC model as of late. Interesting name, and there could definitely be worse hires.

I mentioned him yesterday as well. Really good job at Marshall and has always been considered a good recruiter. She doesn't bother me but he is from West VA and coaching with his friend. That might be the biggest obstacles.

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Speaking of OLine recruits......why did we let UAB swoop in and nab the kid that was at GCCC? He was a former Alabama player that transfered, surely he could have step,right in and helped us.

NCDawg
01-03-2016, 02:51 PM

I think you are correct about "Hevesy and his Yankee attitude are hurting us on the recruiting trail". We really need to replace him, or reassign him to another position in the football hierarchy that is not as important as coaching the OL.

BHildreth3
01-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I remember this - coaches said to Coach O, "Coach but these top players don't even know where Oxford is. How can we get them to even visit?".....Coach O: "Fellas, pay them to get in the jet!"

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Speaking of OLine recruits......why did we let UAB swoop in and nab the kid that was at GCCC? He was a former Alabama player that transfered, surely he could have step,right in and helped us.

No he wouldn't have.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Missing folks like a 4 star Robinson who was way over rated made things bad also. No doubt our OL is in bad shape overall.

It's hard to believe a post like this still occurs. No one thought Robinson was a 4 star come signing day, but the crootin sites never re-ranked him. Everyone backed off, we had an open scholly so we took him. This was not some highly contested battle that we won. Same with Jake Thomas. And those are the only 2 4 stars Mullen has recruited and signed in 7 years.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Maybe not that guy, but no excuse to lose a MS Juco player from Georgia to Minnesota and another one to Arkansas. That's just not being on top of things.

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 03:03 PM
No he wouldn't have.

Seriously Clark? I don't know anything about him but he seemed to be a huge body. Surely if Saban liked,him he couldn't have been all bad.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Maybe not that guy, but no excuse to lose a MS Juco player from Georgia to Minnesota and another one to Arkansas. That's just not being on top of things.

Not sure either one would be impact players. Very few impact JUCO OL the last few years. The highly rated ones have looked very avg or below at times or can't crack the starting line-up. Would have been nice to add one for depth but not to consider either an immediate starter. Unless really start the JUCO redshirt deal and see if they take another development step.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Seriously Clark? I don't know anything about him but he seemed to be a huge body. Surely if Saban liked,him he couldn't have been all bad.

He had 2 offers this year, UAB and Troy. He had a lot of trouble keeping his weight under control (reports of getting over 400 lbs). Was processed after just one redshirt year for Bama. There is some talent but laziness has followed him as well. No Power 5 school wants him now.

maroonmania
01-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Well we signed the top JUCO OL from MS JUCO last year but he wasn't even ready to contribute this year.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Well we signed the top JUCO OL from MS JUCO last year but he wasn't even ready to contribute this year.

My guess is that he's our starting LT the next 2 years.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Coach hit the nail on the head. The biggest thing holding us back is the o-line from a recruiting and development perspective. Fix that and we're in the Sugar Bowl and we go 11-1 last year.

And that's what pisses me off- the problem is evident and nothing is ever done about it. Hell, Hevesey was one of our highest paid assistants on top of it all.

basedog
01-03-2016, 03:33 PM
It's hard to believe a post like this still occurs. No one thought Robinson was a 4 star come signing day, but the crootin sites never re-ranked him. Everyone backed off, we had an open scholly so we took him. This was not some highly contested battle that we won. Same with Jake Thomas. And those are the only 2 4 stars Mullen has recruited and signed in 7 years.

Point being we signed him. He was over rated like I said so what's so hard to believe.

defiantdog
01-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Coach hit the nail on the head. The biggest thing holding us back is the o-line from a recruiting and development perspective. Fix that and we're in the Sugar Bowl and we go 11-1 last year.

And that's what pisses me off- the problem is evident and nothing is ever done about it. Hell, Hevesey was one of our highest paid assistants on top of it all.

We gave up an average of 174 rushing yards a game. I think we have to fix more than just our OL.

msstate7
01-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Wasn't rankin a 4*?

Coach34
01-03-2016, 03:45 PM
We gave up an average of 174 rushing yards a game. I think we have to fix more than just our OL.

Not being able to run the ball was a big part of that. We possessed the ball 3 less minutes per game this year- thats over 2 Quarters our D is having to play

Defense plays more plays and wears down.

NCDawg
01-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Not being able to run the ball was a big part of that. We possessed the ball 3 less minutes per game this year- thats over 2 Quarters our D is having to play

Defense plays more plays and wears down.

Absolutely correct.

shannondawg
01-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Welcome back Geezer!

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 04:12 PM

What was our points allowed per game?

engie
01-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Regular stats are archaic. We were #24 in adjusted points per game and #20 in adjusted points per play. #29 in adjusted yards per play but #50 in adjusted yards per game. The last stat goes perfectly to Coach's point of our defense being on the field alot more this year because of our lack of run game and clock eating. We've got room for improvement certainly -- considering we lost at least 2 starters to injury including our best player -- but defense is hardly a major issue for us. 10 of the 11 bowl starters were underclassmen as well.

The OL and OL recruiting is THE issue. And we need an ace recruiter now with Hughes gone. Still some talk of shuffling Hev.

tireddawg
01-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Amen brother! This right here! This, this, this, this

It's January. We need to be 22nd and moving into the top 10-15 if we close on X, Y, and Z.

defiantdog
01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
What was our points allowed per game?
23.2 points per game

Regular stats are archaic. We were #24 in adjusted points per game and #20 in adjusted points per play. #29 in adjusted yards per play but #50 in adjusted yards per game. The last stat goes perfectly to Coach's point of our defense being on the field alot more this year because of our lack of run game and clock eating. We've got room for improvement certainly -- considering we lost at least 2 starters to injury including our best player -- but defense is hardly a major issue for us. 10 of the 11 bowl starters were underclassmen as well.

The OL and OL recruiting is THE issue. And we need an ace recruiter now with Hughes gone. Still some talk of shuffling Hev.
Sallach to a desk and Hev to tight ends would make sense..... I don't see it happening though.

OurState
01-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Simmons is the huge wildcard. OM thinks they have him locked down. State people think Momma loves them and wont let him go to Oxford. Bama still in play. And I know less about his recruiting than the other 3

It's crootin

My understanding is all three programs think they lead. It's either some version of Leo Lewis or some verision of the kid who was highly ranked and ended up signing with Florida a few weeks after signing day.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 05:13 PM
B/C Oregon taught Freeze everything he knows about recruiting. Freeze took that knowledge and then added religion to the equation to rack up in recruiting.

I agree with Coach's post. O-line recruiting is what has held up back to this point. But now that we have lost Hughes and Sleep and have Sallach as a recruiter, I'm worried going about this class and going forward. If we were to not sign AJ, Knott and Simmons-which is certainly possible, this class would be a disaster. Especially coming off a season where we were no. 1 in the country.

If missing on 3 guys makes your class a disaster...

Mjoelner34
01-03-2016, 05:17 PM

How many 3 and outs did we generate on D and where do we rank there? I haven't been able to find that stat. Everybody always blames the offense when the defense is on the field forever but the D also has to get some 3 and outs to help themselves. If we're near the bottom of the conference in that stat, then all of the blame can't be placed on the O. I'm going to guess we're in the middle of the pack.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 05:52 PM
How many 3 and outs did we generate on D and where do we rank there? I haven't been able to find that stat. Everybody always blames the offense when the defense is on the field forever but the D also has to get some 3 and outs to help themselves. If we're near the bottom of the conference in that stat, then all of the blame can't be placed on the O. I'm going to guess we're in the middle of the pack.

The last four teams we played scored 28 or more points. People will remember struggling with Dak against Bama and LSU, but forget he scored 50+ against Arkansad and NC State. People also remember he turnovers in the egg bowl. So they blame the offense, but you can't allow 28 points in every game... And that's exactly what we did down the stretch.

Coach34
01-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Losing Redmond hurt alot. Our CB depth was not very good

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2016, 06:13 PM
Hard to get three and outs when you're playing a bend but don't break. I'd rather give up a couple big plays and play aggressive than sit back and hope the offense makes a mistake. Remember, we only recovered one fumble this season. That is not acceptable.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 06:33 PM
If missing on 3 guys makes your class a disaster...

Considering our current commits and that we play in the SEC west, ABSOLUTELY. Do you disagree?

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Why is this devolving into a defense discussion? Manny is gone. If you don't like him or his defense, that has been taken care of. Hevesy is still around and a much larger issue.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 06:37 PM
23.2 points per game

Sallach to a desk and Hev to tight ends would make sense..... I don't see it happening though.

If it were me- Hevesy to "assistant head coach" Sallach to a desk. Add TE's to Billy. Get a new o-line coach.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;479626 Hevesy is still around and a much larger issue.[/QUOTE]

Yep, he's the only assistant that no one has hired away in Mullen's 7 years. He and Greg Knox.

Coursesuper
01-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Why is this devolving into a defense discussion? Manny is gone. If you don't like him or his defense, that has been taken care of. Hevesy is still around and a much larger issue.

Look, Mullen is not going to fire or demote the guy. He's been trying to help find the guy a new gig but the problem is no one wants him. He is a cancerous on the recruiting trail and a horrid on the field guy but right now we are stuck with him. We can only hope he lands a new gig, and don't think about him to TE coach, we better pray Salich moves off the field and Sleepy gets that spot.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Look, Mullen is not going to fire or demote the guy. He's been trying to help find the guy a new gig but the problem is no one wants him. He is a cancerous on the recruiting trail and a horrid on the field guy but right now we are stuck with him. We can only hope he lands a new gig, and don't think about him to TE coach, we better pray Salich moves off the field and Sleepy gets that spot.

That's BS and it's bush league. If we want him gone and he can't find something, that's not a MSU problem.

I seen it dawg
01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Hevesy needs to go period. No discussion or negotiation. ****ing Mullen won't make the tough decision because he's just fine with where we are.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Hevesy needs to go period. No discussion or negotiation. ****ing Mullen won't make the tough decision because he's just fine with where we are.

Pretty frustrating. There has been one glaring deficiency on the field and on the recruiting trail and no change has or will be made. We've had changes at every other position except for RB coach. Even in 2014 when we were decent on the O-line, we never got a push. I remember the days of Jackie's good O-line when you knew after 3 plays against Bama, we were going to win b/c we were creating a new LOS. I understand zone blocking, but you still have to create a push. We aren't winning ANY battles for O-linemen except for Rankin in the last 7 years.

Coursesuper
01-03-2016, 06:54 PM

Absolutely agree, but he ain't going to fire his buddy, and there is not enough pressure to get rid of him. Hev completely botched the kids in the GTR and we had to pull other coaches in to save the situation. He needs to go but it ain't happening right now.

NCDawg
01-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Absolutely agree, but he ain't going to fire his buddy, and there is not enough pressure to get rid of him. Hev completely botched the kids in the GTR and we had to pull other coaches in to save the situation. He needs to go but it ain't happening right now.

Does this situation seem somewhat familiar pertaining to our previous coaching staff?

Coursesuper
01-03-2016, 07:19 PM
That's BS and it's bush league. If we want him gone and he can't find something, that's not a MSU problem.

Who is we? Do you really think that Mullen gives a rats ass what we think. There are 4 or 5 people tops that can put pressure on Mullen and our AD ain't one of them. If you don't already know who those men are don't ask. But that is the fact of the matter.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-03-2016, 07:33 PM
For someone who asked has a head coach fired a buddy of theirs before....just this season James Franklin fired his offensive coordinator who coached with him at Maryland, followed him to Vandy when Franklin was named head coach and followed him to Penn St. when Franklin was named coach there. Franklin gets it. You can be loyal, but not to the point of destroying yourself and what you are trying to build. He turned Vandy around and he'll have Penn St. competing with Ohio St. and Michigan before long.

On another note, when Orgeron was at Ole Miss, one thing he would do to make it look like he was tearing it up in recruiting and also use it to lure uncommitted players, was to get those that had no chance of qualifying to commit early. Then he would use those 4 and 5 stars to pad his ranking and show other 4 and 5's that would qualify how great things were going and try to get them to jump in the boat. Meanwhile Scout was blowing him and telling everyone in the world how great he was doing on the recruiting trail because he jumped out with a highly ranked class in the early recruiting period. This was the PR he was using to help recruit. His problem was he was a dumbass that couldn't lead a program. Same guy who got his sheep to get up at alumni gatherings and do agility drills. And those pricks fell for it hook, line and sinker. Same way they did for Tubberville, Nutt and now the Reverend.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Who is we? Do you really think that Mullen gives a rats ass what we think. There are 4 or 5 people tops that can put pressure on Mullen and our AD ain't one of them. If you don't already know who those men are don't ask. But that is the fact of the matter.

"We" is MSU. I understand how this works but I still don't understand how those in a position of power either don't see the issue with Hevesy or do and won't do anything about it.

So are they football ignorant or do they just not care?

BB30
01-03-2016, 08:27 PM
I agree that a coaching change needs to be made but for the record we have never landed 4 and 5 star o lineman consistently.

MabenMaroon
01-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Not trying to be combative, but outside of Bama, LSU and the usual elite suspects, who signs 4 and 5* o-linemen on a consistent basis? Wouldn't that be the folks that we would be interested in getting on staff?

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 08:48 PM
I agree that a coaching change needs to be made but for the record we have never landed 4 and 5 star o lineman consistently.

So? We weren't going to bowls every year until recently either.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Not trying to be combative, but outside of Bama, LSU and the usual elite suspects, who signs 4 and 5* o-linemen on a consistent basis? Wouldn't that be the folks that we would be interested in getting on staff?

I don't expect to sign five 4-5 stars every year. That said, I believe we can consistently get two 4 star o-linemen a year.

BB30
01-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Absolutely but all I have seen on the board is that we have to recruit solid 4 and 5* o lineman and that development wont get us to where we need to be.. The point im trying to make is yes we do need to recruit better but the bottom line is recruiting o lineman is a crap shoot the majority of 4 and 5 stars don't always pan out. If Hevesy is good at developing talent then there is no reason to get rid of him. Either he can't develop talent or we have struggled to identify talented o lineman which in that case would fall on the whole staff.

HoopsDawg
01-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Don't have to sign 5 stars. Need at least 1 4 star every year and 3 stars with other offers. Look at the offer lists for our O-linemen on the roster and you start to understand our struggles. We might sign a 2 star this year in Cushenberry, but I am ok with it b/c at least he has a South Carolina offer.

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Yep, he's the only assistant that no one has hired away in Mullen's 7 years. He and Greg Knox.

I'm not a huge fan of Knox, either, seeing as how it apparently takes 2 ****ing years to get a RB on the field while everyone else is getting them ready to play in a few weeks.

BB30
01-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Now that is realistic and I would agree 100%. I don't think we need 1 4* every year but def lineman with power 5 offers. We have missed on some of the guys we have taken and the chance of missing has to go down if we are signing lineman with offers from other power 5s. Stars aren't nearly as relevant on the o line as other positions. But surely the more power 5 offers a kid has the better chance of being a hit instead of a miss he would have.

I seen it dawg
01-03-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Knox, either, seeing as how it apparently takes 2 ****ing years to get a RB on the field while everyone else is getting them ready to play in a few weeks.

Agree to an extent but I can't get to firing him until we get rid of hev. We can't block so I can't tell if we can run or not.

Spiderman
01-04-2016, 08:44 AM

It's crootin

Simmons is a Reb, or will be. He scheduled to visit OM on the 29th during Recruitapalooza. Noway he leaves that with out them getting the deal done

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Now that is realistic and I would agree 100%. I don't think we need 1 4* every year but def lineman with power 5 offers. We have missed on some of the guys we have taken and the chance of missing has to go down if we are signing lineman with offers from other power 5s. Stars aren't nearly as relevant on the o line as other positions. But surely the more power 5 offers a kid has the better chance of being a hit instead of a miss he would have.

We need one guy that can be serviceable in his second year on campus in every class, which is what I think of as a 4* recruit. We need at least two guys that can be redshirted and be serviceable or better by their third year on campus. That's three recruits from each class that you get three years of actual playing time from (assuming your 4* quality player doesn't redshirt). That gives you 9 serviceable linemen each year on average. Obviously it won't work out uniform like that, but anytime we don't sign 3 OL prospects we feel pretty good about is a year that is going to leave a potential hole to fill with the next class. Knowing that we're not hitting highly rated recruits, it seems like we need to average at least 4 on average.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Simmons is a Reb, or will be. He scheduled to visit OM on the 29th during Recruitapalooza. Noway he leaves that with out them getting the deal done

Chris Jones was there twice a week down the stretch and he still went to State. Not saying that's the case here by any stretch of the imagination. I think he may already be on board with them, but some kids are just going to enjoy the ride.

War Machine Dawg
01-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Agree to an extent but I can't get to firing him until we get rid of hev. We can't block so I can't tell if we can run or not.

Don't get me wrong, Hev should definitely be the first in line for the guillotine. But I'd have Knox second.