PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on ours AD?

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I really liked Byrne.

I know Scott is a Bulldog through and through but I'm not certain he has that winning instinct.
I'm willing to be corrected by any of you in the "know" but he comes across like a light version of LT to me.

Is he going to put his foot down and stop the backslide of momentum that the football program has gained or is he going to be more concerned with saving a little money and operating in the black??? Now is the time for him to talk with CDM and decide do we continue forward progress and spend the money to bring in the very best coaches that we can, or do we go the cheap route and find some young up and comer that won't question anything and do as he's told?

I think we are at a crossroad, it's time for Scott to make a decision.

missouridawg
01-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Scott has continued the success the Byrne started. And while football is on our minds most of the time, Scott has made gr at hires in several other sports throughout his tenure. The prime example of that is women's basketball. But our softball program and volleyball programs have all turned a corner as well. Tennis has also been very good the past few years and we have a lady golfer who is starting to make a name for herself at the pro ranks.

Oh yea, some Howland guy is here now too.

Scott is doing just fine.

shannondawg
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Scott is all about promoting and making money for the program. LT just didn't have the vision to promote, he was a basic bottom line guy with what we had.

engie
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Of what backslide of momentum do you speak?

mic
01-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Scott has continued the success the Byrne started. And while football is on our minds most of the time, Scott has made gr at hires in several other sports throughout his tenure. The prime example of that is women's basketball. But our softball program and volleyball programs have all turned a corner as well. Tennis has also been very good the past few years and we have a lady golfer who is starting to make a name for herself at the pro ranks.

Oh yea, some Howland guy is here now too.

Scott is doing just fine.

Scotty will get credit , but he very little to do with CBH being here..
He had EVERYTHING to do with RR being here...

Blackout
01-03-2016, 01:09 PM
To be fair Scott probably didn't even speak with Howland before the hire was finalized.

coastdoglover
01-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Scott is all about promoting and making money for the program. LT just didn't have the vision to promote, he was a basic bottom line guy with what we had.

Shannondawg is correct but honestly, Scott is afraid of Mullen so don't expect anything there. It is impossible to judge from the outside but it is quite obvious we have lost some good coaches and it hasn't always been about money. We have some big hires coming up and I think it is best to wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Shannondawg is correct but honestly, Scott is afraid of Mullen so don't expect anything there. It is impossible to judge from the outside but it is quite obvious we have lost some good coaches and it hasn't always been about money. We have some big hires coming up and I think it is best to wait and see what happens before jumping to conclusions.

What coaches did we lose that were not a promotion or we helped pack their bags?

C222
01-03-2016, 01:18 PM
To be fair Scott probably didn't even speak with Howland before the hire was finalized.

That's not entirely true.

gravedigger
01-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Eyes likses him lotses

Coach34
01-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Strick botched the 1st basketball hire- Howland was dropped in his lap

He has been a really good women's sports AD

The way we handled the Redmond situation was a cluster****

Judge him off those 3 things and he is what he is

PassInterference
01-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Nice guy. Raises money. Not aggressive enough about winning.

coastdoglover
01-03-2016, 02:15 PM

That is correct and in fact Stansbury talked with Howland 4 times and told him he could win at MSU. Still have to give Scott credit for the hire but Ben wanted the job as did Schaeffer.

C222
01-03-2016, 02:27 PM
That is correct and in fact Stansbury talked with Howland 4 times and told him he could win at MSU. Still have to give Scott credit for the hire but Ben wanted the job as did Schaeffer.

Scott talked to Holwand and got a little help from a friend.

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 03:00 PM

You see yourself as a sharp guy so I won't spell it all out for you.

engie
01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
You see yourself as a sharp guy so I won't spell it all out for you.

You won't spell it out for me because it doesn't actually exist.

bobcat91
01-03-2016, 03:19 PM
He is a very good funds raiser, very good PR guy and is a disaster at hiring for programs that matter. Greg Byrne is a 5*, Stricklin is a 1*

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 03:29 PM
You won't spell it out for me because it doesn't actually exist.

Ok I'll bite, you don't see the difference between last season and this season? Last year we were riding a wave of success, the media loved us, players tweeted about us etc. this year nada, nothing, zilch. We are an after thought.

We had the momentum and lost it, more than that we regressed from a public opinion point of view. We need to make a splash in order to regain some of the lost momentum. While our on field results remained similar, we have managed to backslide in the eyes of the media, general public and most importantly recruits.

Fred Garvin
01-03-2016, 03:40 PM
The athletic department is enjoying unprecedented success so I'm good with it. One could cherrypick individual years of success, but I believe Scott is playing the long game and it will pay off.

engie
01-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Ok I'll bite, you don't see the difference between last season and this season? Last year we were riding a wave of success, the media loved us, players tweeted about us etc. this year nada, nothing, zilch. We are an after thought.

We had the momentum and lost it, more than that we regressed from a public opinion point of view. We need to make a splash in order to regain some of the lost momentum. While our on field results remained similar, we have managed to backslide in the eyes of the media, general public and most importantly recruits.

Last year was a magical season. It was never who we ARE as a program. And it was ignorant to ever, for one minute, think otherwise. It was a perfect storm. We've got to continue to be 8-4 when the SEC is up (this year) -- to have a chance to go 10-2 when the SEC is down(last year). This year's team had one real hole. That hole existed from recruiting that happened in 2011 and 2012. The difference between this team and last team is 8 spots according to Sagarin. Hardly the "backslide" you are presenting.

You bought an illusion -- and it crashing down in your mind does not equal us backsliding as a program.
2015 - 17
2014 - 9
2013 - 31
2012 - 42
2011 - 31
2010 - 15
2009 - 45

Minor tweaks are what we need. Not freak out panic hires... All we actually needed to change this year was to shuffle Hev to TE -- Sallach to an office -- and grab an elite recruiter there IMO.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Scott is doing an outstanding job. Unlike Byrne he won't bolt for the first offer that comes along either.

EAVdog
01-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Holding my opinion until the new baseball stadium is complete.

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Last year was a magical season. It was never who we ARE as a program. And it was ignorant to ever, for one minute, think otherwise. It was a perfect storm. We've got to continue to be 8-4 when the SEC is up (this year) -- to have a chance to go 10-2 when the SEC is down(last year). This year's team had one real hole. That hole existed from recruiting that happened in 2011 and 2012. The difference between this team and last team is 8 spots according to Sagarin. Hardly the "backslide" you are presenting.

You bought an illusion -- and it crashing down in your mind does not equal us backsliding as a program.
2015 - 17
2014 - 9
2013 - 31
2012 - 42
2011 - 31
2010 - 15
2009 - 45

I disagree with you! You are very opinionated and that is fine but just because you see something a certain way doesn't make it true.

With proper marketing and some good coaching hires we can build our program to greater heights. If UM can do it so can we, it will take good execution and financial commitment but I feel it is quit possible and by the same token I think with unsavory hires we can regress to the point we were pre Mullen.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Strick has done well. He hasn't shown the capacity to make a visionary hire yet, but let's be honest, after the first one no one would let him hire anyone again. Hes 0-1 and he's going to remain there because I doubt he'll be allowed to make another major hire in the Big 3 all by his lonesome.

The facility improvements are unreal. That's where he's done his best work. That's what's bringing in the money from donors. With the SEC money a space monkey could be in the black and making facility improvements though. He's the first MSU Ath Dir ever to win the lottery. Has to be fun deciding how to spend everyone else's money and so far he's done that about as well as you could ask for. I'd like to see more in the assistants' salaries, but other than that I can't complain with how he's managed the truck loads of cash ESPN is giving us.

engie
01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
With proper marketing and some good coaching hires we can build our program to greater heights. If UM can do it so can we, it will take good execution and financial commitment but I feel it is quit possible and by the same token I think with unsavory hires we can regress to the point we were pre Mullen.

Who said we couldn't go to greater heights? The problem is you/others expecting to snap your fingers and have it happen. To see us beat a few teams and expect us to never lose to them again. Etc. #17 isn't freak out time for Mississippi St. Where has OM done that we haven't? What "unsavory" hires has Mullen made that give you the impression that it's going to happen this time? All of the problems on the staff are with guys that were on his initial staff that are still here. Prettymuch every hire since has been a good one.

sleepy dawg
01-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Byrne hasn't done much at Arizona, that they weren't already doing. Plus, they continue to finish behind Arizona State every year in football.

Political Hack
01-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Who said we couldn't go to greater heights? The problem is you/others expecting to snap your fingers and have it happen. To see us beat a few teams and expect us to never lose to them again. Etc. #17 isn't freak out time for Mississippi St. Where has OM done that we haven't? What "unsavory" hires has Mullen made that give you the impression that it's going to happen this time? All of the problems on the staff are with guys that were on his initial staff that are still here. Prettymuch every hire since has been a good one.

That's my thing. Everyone measures everything by the egg bowl. It's insane. We don't travel to bowls when we lose the egg. Out fan base takes it personally. I do too, but I have a more generalized viewpoint of the program. OM beat us but they aren't ahead of us. They haven't won a national championships, the SEC or been to Atlanta. That's the ultimate goal.they got a game closer than us this year. We were a game closer than them last year and were ranked higher for most of the season.

Op4isabitch
01-03-2016, 05:11 PM

I don't recall at anytime saying it could happen immediately. If I did, please show me the post.
Well, Torbush and Wilson come to mind but my point is that he can't afford to make a bad hire and in fact I believe he needs to make an outstanding one.

If I remeber correctly you were the number one cheerleader for firing Mullen in 2013, so I'm assuming that you must have believed that our program could improve immediately by replacing the head coach, just as I believe our program can improve with a big splash DC hire and a better marketing campaign.

ETA.
In response to your question about UM.
They have made themselves relevant on the national stage through a dedicated marketing strategy. It's not a typical strategy but what they've done is working and they have left us in the dust in the field of public opinion. That will pay huge dividends for them in coming years.
I hate the fact that it's working for them!

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 09:28 AM
is this the same guy that just rescheduled Tulane after Tulane screwed us on the schedule ? .... I have to question that logic

Spiderman
01-04-2016, 09:39 AM
He's a FIGI, what do you expect****

engie
01-04-2016, 09:55 AM
If I remeber correctly you were the number one cheerleader for firing Mullen in 2013, so I'm assuming that you must have believed that our program could improve immediately by replacing the head coach, just as I believe our program can improve with a big splash DC hire and a better marketing campaign.

Sure. Off a 5-11 stretch where the only close loss was at Auburn, a game Mullen's style of coaching lost us late, and our best victory was a 6 point lifesaver by Kendrick Market over Kentucky and a one point nailbiter against Bowling Green. We'd been blown totally off the field in the other 10 losses at that time. And even then -- my "call for Mullen's firing" was always hinged on him failing to reach bowl eligibility in 2013, which seemed like a guarantee at least as the second half of the aTm game that year which were the first real sparks of life we had shown since the Tennessee game the previous year, which has carried forward until now for the most part. Pretty sure that was like the 8th game that year -- and was the first one of consequence we'd scored a point in the 4th quarter.

There's a TREMENDOUS gulf between where the program was then -- and people losing their minds right now off 21-7. As I already showed in Sagarin Ratings. A "big splash DC hire" doesn't win games. The press conference doesn't win the games. That's the disconnect -- everyone wants to win an Ogre press conference and poke the Rebs while they do it -- what happens after that on the field, be damned. There's no "gulf" between us and Ole Miss. They had a better season. They won the Sugar Bowl. They are about to put 3 players in the first round. Of course they are going to be mentioned more than we are. Being mentioned doesn't win games either. Can we do better marketing? Sure. Definitely. But it falls on deaf ears in our own fanbase and is met with resistance -- because they can't see past the Egg Bowl loss in November.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
is this the same guy that just rescheduled Tulane after Tulane screwed us on the schedule ? .... I have to question that logic

Where did you see this? I've seen the schedule through 2023 & Tulane isn't on there.

rbdog82
01-04-2016, 10:26 AM
If Byrne gets the credit for Mullen, then Strick should get the credit for Howland. I agree his missed terribly on Ray, but Stans left the program in such a toxic state that no one wanted to touch it.

Political Hack
01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
If Byrne gets the credit for Mullen, then Strick should get the credit for Howland. I agree his missed terribly on Ray, but Stans left the program in such a toxic state that no one wanted to touch it.

Strick didn't hire Howland.

I forgot about the Tulane and Ok State scheduling snafus. -2 for Beevis.

Beaver
01-04-2016, 11:25 AM
In response to your question about UM.
They have made themselves relevant on the national stage through a dedicated marketing strategy. It's not a typical strategy but what they've done is working and they have left us in the dust in the field of public opinion. That will pay huge dividends for them in coming years.
I hate the fact that it's working for them!

This is way overblown. The general public doesn't give a crap about Ole Miss or MSU football. Neither have won an SEC or NCAA Championship in the modern era. Most people do think football in Mississippi has improved, and are impressed that Ole Miss can recruit some 5 star guys, but nobody believes they can compete with Alabama, Auburn, or LSU year after year.

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Where did you see this? I've seen the schedule through 2023 & Tulane isn't on there.

Haven't checked but I thought I saw a tweet where they were coming back on the schedule in the next couple of years ... maybe 2018 ???

follow this link ... they show up in 2022 but the tweet says schedule that includes Memphis series ....... https://twitter.com/stricklinMSU ...... scroll down to tweet dated Dec 17th

Scott Stricklin ‏@stricklinMSU 17 Dec 2015
Updated future @HailStateFB schedules with Memphis series included. #HailState

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Haven't checked but I thought I saw a tweet where they were coming back on the schedule in the next couple of years ... maybe 2018 ???

I think you are confusing it with OM just having picked them up for a 2 for 1 in '21, '23 & '25

Jeeze, even our own fans confuse OM & MSU***

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 12:03 PM
I think you are confusing it with OM just having picked them up for a 2 for 1 in '21, '23 & '25

oh yeah ? ..... go back and read my answer to IYON ..... JEEZE !!! ... it's right there on the schedule if you would have only looked at it before your burning desire to insult me took over

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Tulane isn't his fault I don't think. That was (hopefully) the final LT 17up that is going to bite us in the ass.

I know we got 17ed on USC for Vandy, but that mistake ended up not costing us. If anything, it highlighted some changes Dan needed to make and probably helped us for the next season.

Johnson85
01-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Strick has done well. He hasn't shown the capacity to make a visionary hire yet, but let's be honest, after the first one no one would let him hire anyone again. Hes 0-1 and he's going to remain there because I doubt he'll be allowed to make another major hire in the Big 3 all by his lonesome.

The facility improvements are unreal. That's where he's done his best work. That's what's bringing in the money from donors. With the SEC money a space monkey could be in the black and making facility improvements though. He's the first MSU Ath Dir ever to win the lottery. Has to be fun deciding how to spend everyone else's money and so far he's done that about as well as you could ask for. I'd like to see more in the assistants' salaries, but other than that I can't complain with how he's managed the truck loads of cash ESPN is giving us.

That's probably my biggest concern with Strickland, not that he's not doing a good job with facilities, but that he is trying to do too much with facilities. I'm mostly not concerned about what we spend on football or men's basketball (which pay the bills) or men's baseball (which seems to have its own set of dedicated donors), but it seems like we're spending a lot of money on non-revenue sports. Not sure if that's the case; maybe we're just doing more promoting surround what we actually spend. We are never going to be in a position to keep up with the bigger schools in revenue sports while also dumping money into non-revenue sports. We should do of course welcome any money frmo donors that are attached to a particualr non-revenue program, but we need to focus most of our money on the sports that pay for themselves, and otherwise just do enough to satisfy Title IX and whatever minimum investments we need for ESPN broadcast.

I'm a little worried that with the new ESPN revenues, we feel like we can spend money everywhere, but looking at what's happening to ESPN, we are very possibly on our peak TV contract right now. We need to be keeping some powder dry, not spending a bunch of money on non-revenue sports.

rbdog82
01-04-2016, 01:34 PM

I'm almost certain that if for whatever reason Howland doesn't work out, that Stricklin will get the blame for the hire, right?

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Tulane canceling wasn't his fault ... rescheduling them was his fault

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2016, 01:45 PM

oh yeah ? ..... go back and read my answer to IYON ..... JEEZE !!! ... it's right there on the schedule if you would have only looked at it before your burning desire to insult me took over
There is no Tulane on that schedule either. Some TBD's, but no Tulane

FISHDAWG
01-04-2016, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;479963]
There is no Tulane on that schedule either. Some TBD's, but no Tulane

major league brainfart confusing Memphis with Tulane ..... Stricklin, I appologize .... Bruinswick - rep points awarded (that is - I tried to award but have to spread some around first) ...... that's what I love about this board - it just wont let you get away with incorrect bullshit

BrunswickDawg
01-04-2016, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=BrunswickDawg;480020]

major league brainfart confusing Memphis with Tulane ..... Stricklin, I appologize .... Bruinswick - rep points awarded (that is - I tried to award but have to spread some around first) ...... that's what I love about this board - it just wont let you get away with incorrect bullshit
No worries - and FYI, I was attempting to inject humor with the confusion with OM crack. Guess I zinged when I should have zagged.

Joe Schmedlap
01-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Signing day will tell the tale, but I do NOT get the feeling State is capitalizing on last year's success. If you are not moving forward, you are probably being left behind.

smootness
01-04-2016, 03:10 PM
That's probably my biggest concern with Strickland, not that he's not doing a good job with facilities, but that he is trying to do too much with facilities. I'm mostly not concerned about what we spend on football or men's basketball (which pay the bills) or men's baseball (which seems to have its own set of dedicated donors), but it seems like we're spending a lot of money on non-revenue sports. Not sure if that's the case; maybe we're just doing more promoting surround what we actually spend. We are never going to be in a position to keep up with the bigger schools in revenue sports while also dumping money into non-revenue sports. We should do of course welcome any money frmo donors that are attached to a particualr non-revenue program, but we need to focus most of our money on the sports that pay for themselves, and otherwise just do enough to satisfy Title IX and whatever minimum investments we need for ESPN broadcast.

I'm a little worried that with the new ESPN revenues, we feel like we can spend money everywhere, but looking at what's happening to ESPN, we are very possibly on our peak TV contract right now. We need to be keeping some powder dry, not spending a bunch of money on non-revenue sports.

It's a long-term strategy. The goal is to improve the entire athletic department and lay the groundwork for years of success. And by appearing to be a top-flight athletic department across the board, in both facilities and success, that eventually feeds into the reality that you are, in fact, a top-flight athletic department.

We were at the bottom of the conference in overall facilities but will soon be near the top. And we're not neglecting the revenue sports - expanded football stadium, brand new top-of-the-line baseball stadium, and state-of-the-art basketball facility.

I guess I just don't get the concern. We're not spending money we don't have. And if we have the money now, the wisest use is to expand and improve facilities that can be used for years so that even if revenues do drop some, we won't have to spend nearly as much on facilities going forward.

smootness
01-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Thank you. I swear, people have lost their minds.

archdog
01-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Not sure if he has the winning instinct, but he does have the money making marketing instinct. Always looking to get an extra dollar and cut corners to save a dollar.

BB30
01-04-2016, 05:35 PM

spot on

Op4isabitch
01-04-2016, 05:48 PM
I swear some of you need to be on Genes page