PDA

View Full Version : New Defense Coaches

PendingTransaction
01-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I think this DC opening is different from the previous five. It's the turning point of the program. It will clearly define the leadership (not just coaching leadership) of MSU football.

1. Tommy Thigpen or Jovan Dewitt - DC
2. Allow new DC to help hire other coaches.
3. We are possibly looking at a completely new defensive staff. Turner and Townsend will likely go the way of Tony and Diaz.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-03-2016, 12:14 PM
We're not replacing our entire defensive staff.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2016, 12:19 PM
So who's a lock to stay?

MafiaDawg
01-03-2016, 12:27 PM
So who's a lock to stay?

It's clear you don't know how the whole assistant coach hiring process works.
The head coach makes the decisions.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2016, 12:32 PM
If you don't know that good coaches usually bring along guys that they want to work with, there's no need for additional discussion. Oh my bad, you are right. That's the Dan Mullen Method of which you speak.

MafiaDawg
01-03-2016, 12:35 PM
If you don't know that good coaches usually bring along guys that they want to work with, there's no need for additional discussion. Oh my bad, you are right. That's the Dan Mullen Method of which you speak.

Please name an instance where a coordinator comes in and cleans house with the rest of the staff right before signing day and brings in his own position coaches. My gosh some of yall are stupid.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Coordinators don't completely revamp their side of the staff when they take a job. Heck most head coaches retain some former coaches when they take a new job. If there are more than one opening on that side of the ball the HC and coordinator may get together about who to bring in but that's about it. That's not the Mullen way, it's what's done year after year after year all accross the country.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Please name an instance where a coordinator comes in and cleans house with the rest of the staff right before signing day and brings in his own position coaches. My gosh some of yall are stupid.
I never mentioned a DC clearing house. Please read my post again. I said others could go the way of Tony and Diaz, meaning that they leave by choice. For the record, coordinators usually have a say in the guys that will help them with THEIR defensive scheme. But when it's the HC's defense, I guess he should hire the staff he needs to run it.

basedog
01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
First off, whoever Mullen hires some will be happy others pissed.

Second, I'd say Mullen is not a dummy so says his record and success.

Third, if a HC is not involved in all factions in his program then he will have a "pirate ship sailing", you must be a leader and make the calls good or bad.

Fourth, we were 10th in the SEC on defense this past year, Diaz is ok, don't think he is much as for as a recruiter maybe average, I think he will be a better fit at Miami.

Lastly, yes defense is very "iffy" in this spread offense era, offenses are way ahead of defenses, you just hope your defense can hold teams to FG's instead of TD's. There just isn't many good defenses in college football right now but there are tons of teams that can score, lots lots lots more!

AROB44
01-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Very good post, basedog.

dawgoneyall
01-03-2016, 03:15 PM
we were 10th in the SEC on defense this past year,

We need to be better than 10th.