PDA

View Full Version : Should we go to a 3/4?

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Not an Xs & Os guy, but, when I look at our roster, I see a ton of big LBs, Green, B Brown, Leo Lewis, recruit Errol Thompson, & surely more to come.

Also, AJ Jefferson is a bigger DE & you could also make Jeffrey Simmons a 3/4 DE, whereas he's probably a DT in a 4/3.

It seems to me that we either have or are very close to having the personnel to do this & it seems that we recruit big LBs better than just about anything else we recruit. Why not play to this strength?

By going to a 3/4, could we run more exotic blitzes?

Get more speed on the field?

Or would we be better off going to the 4/2/5?

Anyway, all this could play into the the DC decision. What are your thoughts?

msstate7
01-02-2016, 07:14 PM
James would be a good ng if we switch at least he looks like one

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 07:15 PM
When I look at this....

Brown
Brown
Green
Gray
Jung
Lewis
Washington
Errol Thompson

...I say "Hell Yes" we should go 3-4.

But overall, I want a DC with a good system. If it's a 4-3 great, if it's a 3-4 great. Because one crop of Linebackers is no reason to choose a scheme or coordinator.

Leroy Jenkins
01-02-2016, 07:17 PM
As long as we play LSU, bama, and Arky every year..... No.

Unless we have a couple of 320lb 5* shades to rotate, and a handful of 4* 300lb 5-techs... in that case line up however you want.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't say absolutely one way or the other.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 07:17 PM
When I look at this....

Brown
Brown
Green
Gray
Jung
Lewis
Washington
Errol Thompson

...I say "Hell Yes" we should go 3-4.

But overall, I want a DC with a good system. If it's a 4-3 great, if it's a 3-4 great. Because one crop of Linebackers is no reason to choose a scheme or coordinator.

I agree that one LB crop isn't a reason to change, but big, powerful LBs seem to be what our recruiting area & recruiting strengths provide us.

If we did this though, we would have to target the biggest baddest NG in the country and make sure we got him.

TUSK
01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm not really a super Xs Os guy either, Gun... but one thing I've noticed with Bammer is this:

you better have MFers at 2 positions: NT (Huge, quick, hard to move - Cody/Robinson) and Jack LB (tall, big, fast, able to cover the flats & rush the QB/set the edge - Upshaw)...

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm not really a super Xs Os guy either, Gun... but one thing I've noticed with Bammer is this:

you better have MFers at 2 positions: NT (Huge, quick, hard to move - Cody/Robinson) and Jack LB (tall, big, fast, able to cover the flats & rush the QB/set the edge - Upshaw)...

I think we have the LBs & can continue to recruit well enough there. It's the NT that we'd have to find & change our recruiting to get

TUSK
01-02-2016, 07:42 PM
I think we have the LBs & can continue to recruit well enough there. It's the NT that we'd have to find & change our recruiting to get

I think AJ Jefferson would make a pretty good Jack LB if he has the speed/coverage abilities...

Really Clark?
01-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Tusk I've always believed that so much of Saban's success was based on what it done up the middle. NT, LB, and especially safety. When y'all have had some great defenses that 1 high safety allows ya to do so much. But you do need a beast at nose as well as big athletic LB. Just it always seems y'all clicked the best with a great safety. Just some of what I have observed.

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Nick James can't play 100% of the snaps, otherwise I'd agree with a 3-4 they could play it in spots, but I think the 4-3 will have to be the base without more depth at zero.

Dallas_Dawg
01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
I don't think AJ Jefferson has the agility to cover that he would need to play Jack. IMHO

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Think he meant AJ at the DE spot in a 3-4. That's where he'd play at least.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I'd like to see a hybrid 4-3,3-4.4-2-5 and just mix things up.

Homedawg
01-02-2016, 10:35 PM
I'd like to see a hybrid 4-3,3-4.4-2-5 and just mix things up.
S
Which is pretty much what we did this year.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 11:15 PM
S
Which is pretty much what we did this year.

Right. And you didn't see me complain too much about the defense outside of personnel decisions or the fact that they were soft.