PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm hearing...

Coach34
01-02-2016, 05:07 PM
1. Manny was in no way, shape, or form forced out. Richt called him- Manny told Dan- Dan said do what you think is best. Manny bailed.

2. We've been in touch with our recruits about it and said we'll move quick

3. Nobody I know thinks Turner is leaving. We'd have to fire him and kick him out of his house to get him out of Sville.

4. I think Sallach is going to be reassigned before all is said and done

5. Tony Hughes bailing was totally about being a HC- nothing else. And Sleepy was dying to get back to coaching. Trying hard to get Buckley

6. OM fans want a re-vote for All-SEC QB cause Kelly threw for more yards

7. CoastDogLover is still very old

8. Ennis Del Mar and his wife are swingers

9. Thick has put it in writing that he wont pick up Bo Bounds and throw him thru a wall

10. Mic has promised to close another deal on a baseball recruit's Mom for us

defiantdog
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Expect us to pay more than 500k this time around for the new DC.

huffy
01-02-2016, 05:13 PM

God, I hope so. It's time for this program to take another step forward.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 05:13 PM
We should have named Sleepy TE coach and moved Sallach to the office.

Turner better land Simmons.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't know why the hell I'm bothering- but any chance Hevesy gets demoted to TE coach?

Coach34
01-02-2016, 05:16 PM
I don't know why the hell I'm bothering- but any chance Hevesy gets demoted to TE coach?

anything is possible

Really Clark?
01-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Hope so since we paid more than that for Manny

Coach34
01-02-2016, 05:18 PM

We dont have a choice

Jack Lambert
01-02-2016, 05:22 PM
I think we should hire someone and give them an base salery of around 400K and say four every 5* recruit you bring in we give you 100K and for every 4* you get 75K and every 2* or less we take 50k away. Also add you have to sign a full class or you don't get your base.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 05:24 PM

FYI: Ed O makes 450K/year at LSU. We paid Manny 575K this season.

Pay Eddie O 750K, name him Recruiting coordinator and D-coordinator and it's a done deal. Then go get Buckley or Hopson as Safety coach. If it's Hopson, name him Asst Head Coach as well. And then find one more ace recruiter to replace Sallach and we have a chance to start landing Top 15-20 recruiting classes on a consistent basis. Got to pony up though.

Sacrifice
01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Haha I messed up and goggled #8 nasty!

confucius say
01-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I think we should hire someone and give them an base salery of around 400K and say four every 5* recruit you bring in we give you 100K and for every 4* you get 75K and every 2* or less we take 50k away. Also add you have to sign a full class or you don't get your base.

So penalized for signing bmac, banks, Preston? Two stars who were drafted high. We need players. If they are highly rated , great. If they are not, so what.

deltadawg99
01-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Coach what about Townsend? I'd like to keep him if we keep, especially since he is getting better at recruiting

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 05:51 PM

I think you'd hire Bart Simmons to be our DC.

Really Clark?
01-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Chuck Heater, Clancy Pendergrast, Tom Allen, Justin Wilcox, etc...several calls to make plus talks at the convention like he normally does.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Sounds like Lance Thompson may have already reached out to us about being interested. I think that would be a great hire. He's a great recruiter too.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article52523675.html

Thoughts?

I seen it dawg
01-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Dave Fipp for DC from the Eagles and Brett Maxie for safeties.

Noxdog
01-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Sounds like Lance Thompson may have already reached out to us about being interested. I think that would be a great hire. He's a great recruiter too.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article52523675.html

Thoughts?

Not doubting. Just wondering?

Honestly, is there that big of a difference between LT and EO other than LT has some DC experience, I think?? i.e., both are considered excellent recruiters. LT may be moreso than EO.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Thoughts?

Where are you hearing that?

Thompson may be a great recruiter, but I don't always offer "great recruiter" status to coaches who wore the Crimson A into a house. Just seems like it wouldn't be that hard

defiantdog
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Thoughts?
I thought he's joining Muschamp

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Not doubting. Just wondering?

Honestly, is there that big of a difference between LT and EO other than LT has some DC experience, I think?? i.e., both are considered excellent recruiters. LT may be moreso than EO.

I have a buddy that just told me that. No idea if true, but he's usually reliable.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I thought he's joining Muschamp

As DL coach

TUSK
01-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Thoughts?

If Lance is interested, yall should jump on him like a duck on a junebug...

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Where are you hearing that?

Thompson may be a great recruiter, but I don't always offer "great recruiter" status to coaches who wore the Crimson A into a house. Just seems like it wouldn't be that hard

He was part of Kiffen's all-star recruiting staff at Tennessee before going to Bama.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
To follow up on my above post....I Just asked a guy I know with a Scout membership what Steve Robertson was saying, & apparently he mentioned Thompson as well....

So either this might have legs, or it may be that the same source is feeding misinformation.

Does seem odd that he would leave USC before coaching a game...but it would be a promotion, so who knows

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 06:15 PM
To follow up on my above post....I Just asked a guy with a Scout membership what Steve Robertson was saying, & much to my surprise, apparently he mentioned Thompson as well....

So either this might have legs, or it may be that the same source is feeding misinformation.

Does seem odd that he would leave USC before coaching a game...but it would be a promotion, so who knows

It's happened before. Ellis Johnson left Arkansas for South Carolina in 2008 and I think Frank Wilson left us awhile back.

Things change around this time of year.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:15 PM
If Lance is interested, yall should jump on him like a duck on a junebug...

I agree. After reading about him more...seems like a no brainer for what we're wanting. Great recruiter & lots of D-coaching experience at multiple positions

engie
01-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Thompson, I could get behind. Definitely.

civildawg
01-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah Thompson would be a home run hire in my opinion.

starkvegasdawg
01-02-2016, 06:22 PM

As long as we're hoping I'll hope for demotion to janitor in the band hall.

TUSK
01-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah Thompson would be a home run hire in my opinion.

begs the question... which is better... "home run hire" or "a duck jumpin' on a junebug"????

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
begs the question... which is better... "home run hire" or "a duck jumpin' on a junebug"????

Opting for "The ****a that'll cheat in crootin and not get caught" Teaching tackling can come later. Just saying.

Trying to get into this new obsession with crootin. Hopefully doing it right -.

TUSK
01-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Opting for "The ****a that'll cheat in crootin and not get caught" Teaching tackling can come later. Just saying.

Trying to get into this new obsession with crootin. Hopefully doing it right -.

this is correct... yall need to say "screw X's & O's" if yall can snag a 'crooter...

Dawgbite
01-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Is " a duck jumping on a June bug" anything like easier than picking up a fat chick at a weight watchers meeting?

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Is " a duck jumping on a June bug" anything like easier than picking up a fat chick at a weight watchers meeting?

The Duck jumping would be prettier than a fat chick jumping on the bug....just saying, bug is going to be squished.

TUSK
01-02-2016, 06:58 PM

I think you may be confusing "intent" with "level of difficulty"... regardless, a Lance Thompson hire would be hotter than 2 mice, screwin' inna wool sock....

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 07:02 PM
a Lance Thompson hire would be hotter than 2 mice, screwin' inna wool sock....

The dismount on that is trickier than it sounds. Level of difficulty sounds solid. Thompson would be a good hire. Personally I think we should go throw cash at retired TCU DC Bumpas - smack Bucky's ass last year and throttled Belima's Badgers in the Rose Bowl. Seems to have a grasp on dealing with spreads in the Big 12

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-02-2016, 07:03 PM
We've been wanting some guys that know how the recruiting game is played. This is an opportunity to make that happen. It's going to take someone like Orgeron who taught Freeze and can counter him or Thompson if what some on here have said about him. Brewster taught us how to get on guys early, maybe some of these guys can coordinate and expand our network.

The difference of who played in the Belk bowl and the Sugar bowl was who won the Egg bowl. It's time we decide once and for all do we want to settle for the Belk or challenge for the Sugar.

Jacksondevildog
01-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Things I'm hearing:

People on Genes Page want to bring the Morgan brothers from Warren Central. Jesus.

This is the type of shit we have to deal with in our fan base.

Posted: Today 3:45 PM
Re: Another One-and-Done for Diaz

I said it in a post yesterday that I think Dan should at least talk to Josh or Rob Morgan about the recruiting gig and maybe with Josh about the DB position since he actually played that position and played it well. Maybe they wouldn't want the job, but you gotta go ask and see. I think Josh would be a good future college coach, it's just a gut instinct and I think Rob would be a good OC one day too. I think they are both at Warren Central if I'm not mistaken, running the family business of winning at WC.

Another guy to look at would be Jacksonville State U DC. His defenses have been off the hook tough. They almost beat Auburn this past year and now they're playing for the DII National Championship. That too is worth a call. Yes I'm sure that there are other "recycled" DC's out there, but young, new blood, enthusiastic, and good recruiters are what we need.

David and Steve how do you feel about this ?? Morgan's know Mississippi I'd bet because of their backgrounds, so they should know a lot of the High School staffs. JSU well it's just a gut instinct too.
rate it 1 star2 stars3 stars4 stars5 stars Reply | Quote

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Things I'm hearing:

People on Genes Page want to bring the Morgan brothers from Warren Central. Jesus.

People on Gene's page go to Florida Dinner theaters and insert depositories for pre-game fun. They haven't been happy since facemasks became mandatory.

preachermatt83
01-02-2016, 07:51 PM
We've been wanting some guys that know how the recruiting game is played. This is an opportunity to make that happen. It's going to take someone like Orgeron who taught Freeze and can counter him or Thompson if what some on here have said about him. Brewster taught us how to get on guys early, maybe some of these guys can coordinate and expand our network.

The difference of who played in the Belk bowl and the Sugar bowl was who won the Egg bowl. It's time we decide once and for all do we want to settle for the Belk or challenge for the Sugar.

Great post!!

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 08:16 PM
My brothers in laws cousin coaches flag football and won an intrumural tournament once as a DC/HC. Maybe we should hire him.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2016, 08:22 PM
My brothers in laws cousin coaches flag football and won an intrumural tournament once as a DC/HC. Maybe we should hire him.

If he can recruit I say hell yeah. We need to do what Bama does and hire a bunch of coaches and give them non coaching jobs in the AD department. I am not talking shit either.

Leroy Jenkins
01-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Things I'm hearing:

I said it in a post yesterday that I think Dan should at least talk to Josh or Rob Morgan about the recruiting gig and maybe with Josh about the DB position since he actually played that position and played it well. Maybe they wouldn't want the job, but you gotta go ask and see. I think Josh would be a good future college coach, it's just a gut instinct and I think Rob would be a good OC one day too. I think they are both at Warren Central if I'm not mistaken, running the family business of winning at WC.

Another guy to look at would be Jacksonville State U DC. His defenses have been off the hook tough. They almost beat Auburn this past year and now they're playing for the DII National Championship. That too is worth a call. Yes I'm sure that there are other "recycled" DC's out there, but young, new blood, enthusiastic, and good recruiters are what we need.

David and Steve how do you feel about this ?? Morgan's know Mississippi I'd bet because of their backgrounds, so they should know a lot of the High School staffs. JSU well it's just a gut instinct too.

What the literal 17? Is this real life?

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Unbelievable. One of the dumbest things ever posted on any board. USM wouldn't have taken a look at Josh Morgan when they went 0-12, but a 9-4 SEC West team that has our money should? I don't even know what to say about people like that poster.

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 08:37 PM

No, it's Gene's Page, where they believe in Maroon Unicorns flying in to drop off Rose Bowl Invites.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Had nothing to do with $... Auburn tried to hire him and offered him more money, he didn't take it. Miami is home to Diaz

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:07 PM
FYI: Ed O makes 450K/year at LSU. We paid Manny 575K this season.

Pay Eddie O 750K, name him Recruiting coordinator and D-coordinator and it's a done deal. Then go get Buckley or Hopson as Safety coach. If it's Hopson, name him Asst Head Coach as well. And then find one more ace recruiter to replace Sallach and we have a chance to start landing Top 15-20 recruiting classes on a consistent basis. Got to pony up though.

Coach O is high on the list. HE was very interested in the job last time. With LSU passing him up, he will be in the hunt. Hopson will not bail on Alcorn. He will be looking from here out for HC position following this year. Buckley, maybe.... This isn't a huge shake up in staff. Look for a lesser known guy who is a major recruiter. He's begging for the chance!

MarketingBully
01-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Had nothing to do with $... Auburn tried to hire him and offered him more money, he didn't take it. Miami is home to Diaz

He doesn't get that opportunity if he is still at Louisiana Tech. Was a huge mistake that Mullen made last year when he hired him after one year at La Tech. He has only been a DC for what 8 years and has been a DC at five schools? When are people not going to hire him? He sucked this year and still bolted. At least in his first year here it was actually a great defense. This one not so much...

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:13 PM

Thoughts?

This is 100% correct. He is wanting the job. Is is a major recruiting force. Here's the Al article on him when he left Bama for Auburn http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/lance_thompsons_arrival_at_aub.html

He was the #1 recruiter according to ESPN in 2014 http://espn.go.com/insider/story?id=10379002

1. Lance Thompson

Current school: Linebackers coach, Alabama
2006-2013 positions: Defensive coordinator, UCF (2004-2006); linebackers coach, Alabama (2007-2008); linebackers coach, Tennessee (2009-2011)
Top recruit 2006-2013: Julio Jones
What he's done: Looking for a way to describe Thompson's success on the trail? Just ask one of the best players he landed. "He is the best recruiter ever," A.J. McCarron said in 2008 after picking Alabama. The job Thompson did with the 2008 class helped set the table for Alabama's national title runs, and it included household names like Jones, Mark Barron, Robert Lester and McCarron. In 2009, he signed D.J. Fluker and Trent Richardson, both first-round NFL draft picks. While at Tennessee, he was able to land all-SEC selections Christian Harris and Ja'Waun James, before returning to Alabama to land highly touted recruits Jonathan Allen, Robert Foster and Da'Shawn Hand in the 2013 and 2014 classes.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Coach O is high on the list. HE was very interested in the job last time. With LSU passing him up, he will be in the hunt. Hopson will not bail on Alcorn. He will be looking from here out for HC position following this year. Buckley, maybe.... This isn't a huge shake up in staff. Look for a lesser known guy who is a major recruiter. He's begging for the chance!

If I remember correctly the last time we hired a former Ole Miss HC as DC we ended up in Atlanta.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:19 PM
He doesn't get that opportunity if he is still at Louisiana Tech. Was a huge mistake that Mullen made last year when he hired him after one year at La Tech. He has only been a DC for what 8 years and has been a DC at five schools? When are people not going to hire him? He sucked this year and still bolted. At least in his first year here it was actually a great defense. This one not so much...

Wow.... seriously?

in 2014, we were ranked 84th in total defense. We were ranked 57th this season. In passing defense, we ranked 114th in 2014. This season 57th. But hey.. let' not look at the facts

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:20 PM
If I remember correctly the last time we hired a former Ole Miss HC as DC we ended up in Atlanta.

Personally, I like the idea of Lance Thompson, but would not cry about O! Either way, a quick move and get some recruits in here!

Coach007
01-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Last comment on this.

The ability to attract top recruiters and great coaches is NICE to see. When Mullen first arrived and we lost a few coaches... it worried alot of people. I no longer get concerned. Mullen is a top coach and he needs a top staff, and we need to pony up more money for a better staff. That needs to be our next goal.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 09:38 PM
Things I'm hearing:

Mike Justice to coach d-line and Bobby Hall to coach safeties.*******

deltadawg99
01-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Lance Thompson-DC/LB
Turner- DL
Townsend - CB
Buckley - safeties

That's a strong defensive staff

Coach007
01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Lance Thompson-DC/LB
Turner- DL
Townsend - CB
Buckley - safeties

That's a strong RECRUITING staff!

djaymsu5
01-02-2016, 11:02 PM
That's a strong RECRUITING staff!

Please God let this happen!

Coach34
01-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Lance Thompson-DC/LB
Turner- DL
Townsend - CB
Buckley - safeties

That would be an upgrade over 2015

missouridawg
01-02-2016, 11:42 PM
Don't be terribly surprised if Shane Beamer doesn't find his way on this staff.

starkvegasdawg
01-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Don't be terribly surprised if Shane Beamer doesn't find his way on this staff.
His name was kicked around a few years ago, wasn't it? Seems I remember hearing it before tied to MSU in some way.

engie
01-02-2016, 11:53 PM
His name was kicked around a few years ago, wasn't it? Seems I remember hearing it before tied to MSU in some way.

He coached at State under Croom and married into a Starkville family.

ScoobaDawg
01-02-2016, 11:56 PM

He was here under Croom and is married to a MSU grad.
He was the Associate HC and RB coach under his dad and paid 252,810
We need a Recruiting Coordinator which he was at MSU and South Carolina and possibly a TE coach if Sallach finally get's moved off the field...

Wouldn't be the craziest rumor.. but who knows...and could we do better?

It_Could_Happen
01-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Sorry I'm late been a busy day. Thompsons connection to MSU is his daughter is a student here. Would be a great hire recruiting wise. Don't know much his position coach abilities though.

Johnson85
01-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Unbelievable. One of the dumbest things ever posted on any board. USM wouldn't have taken a look at Josh Morgan when they went 0-12, but a 9-4 SEC West team that has our money should? I don't even know what to say about people like that poster.

I actually think josh probably would be a good prospect for a safety coach considering how well he maximized his talent when he played. Little late for him to become a GA at this point though and not sure how else he could make the jump to the sec.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Beamer interviewed with Kirby for a spot at Georgia.

lastmajordog
01-03-2016, 11:08 AM

I like the way this guy thinks!!!!!!

missouridawg
01-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Beamer interviewed with Kirby for a spot at Georgia.

Yep.... And I'd wager that he will be a dawg in his next stop. I think it's down to us and UGA.