PDA

View Full Version : Is Coach O a realistic candidate?

Op4isabitch
01-02-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm curious if you guys think he would be a real candidate?

How is he doing recruiting at LSU, who are his commits?

surely as long as O has been a coach he deserves the shot at DC. I think having him on staff would certainly help our recruiting and with a little help I bet he'd be a good coordinator.

msstate7
01-02-2016, 03:39 PM
If Mullen is gonna pretty much require a certain defense, might as well bring in O and get as good a talent as possible.

Statefan
01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
We are going to need a Linebackers coach. O and Turner are both DL

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 03:42 PM
He doesn't have the best reputation calling a defense. If he did, he'd be calling a defense somewhere.

RIdog
01-02-2016, 03:43 PM

surely as long as O has been a coach he deserves the shot at DC. I think having him on staff would certainly help our recruiting and with a little help I bet he'd be a good coordinator.

Hopefully not - we can certainly do better .

cheewgumm
01-02-2016, 03:44 PM
1) get players
2) worry about the d

Get Orgeron.

Op4isabitch
01-02-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm clueless about their salary, how much would a top flight DC cost?

Who are some of the best DC's currently available?

confucius say
01-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Lsu has the number one class in America. After 8-4 and 9-3 seasons.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

For those beating the drum that we can't get to the next level without recruiting better, here is your best chance to change that.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Well, 14 out of 18 LSU COMMITS are top 300 guys. What do we have to lose? We need to fill these 2 openings with awesome recruiters who know MS.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 03:48 PM
We are going to need a Linebackers coach. O and Turner are both DL

That doesn't matter, O can coach LBs. I want a 4-2-5 anyway.

NCDawg
01-02-2016, 03:49 PM
1) get players
2) worry about the d

Get Orgeron.

I agree. We need quality players to win. Orgeron can bring them in.

confucius say
01-02-2016, 03:50 PM
The question is do you want an elite recruiter who can coach some, or try to find an elite coach who can recruit some?

Op4isabitch
01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Well, 14 out of 18 LSU COMMITS are top 300 guys. What do we have to lose? We need to fill these 2 openings with awesome recruiters who know MS.

Hoops, that's my thinking.
Get the best players available we have to have them or it doesn't matter how good your coach is at his job.

I'm ready to start getting some sure enough studs on campus, we have coaches that can assist in game planning and play calling if needed.

We have a chance to try something new this time, I'm all for making a big hire this time. The last few have been meh at best.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 03:52 PM

No.

How about Boston college's dc?

Statecoachingblows**
01-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Wasn't there some that said he was damn near the guy THIS TIME LAST YEAR? Something somehow fell apart I don't know why or what happened but something that's fixable?

Dawg61
https://youtu.be/6n1KPQmdddY

https://youtu.be/HX7wzhMvbzo

Rayburn8
Frick it all to hell. Coach O as linebackers, DC and recruiting coordinator.

Ed Reed as Safeties coach because you can.

engie
01-02-2016, 03:59 PM
No. If he was a legit candidate to be a DC -- why has he never gotten the promition? Never more obvious than it was at LSU in this cycle. Just because someone can recruit -- it blows my mind that a huge percentage of our fanbase thinks that qualifies them to coordinate a defense -- the single most important x's and o's position on our staff.

It's like no one here watched the Orange Bowl last year.

engie
01-02-2016, 04:00 PM
No.

Michigan's DC, you mean...

Op4isabitch
01-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Engie, how would anyone know if he is a good coordinator? Has he ever been given the opportunity?
For all we know he may be the next Dick LeBeau.

At this point I'm all for going in a different direction than we have in the past. What we've been doing isn't going to work any longer, we are being passed up by our instate rival. We have to do something different.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Frick it all to hell. Coach O as linebackers, DC and recruiting coordinator.

Ed Reed as Safeties coach because you can.

Yep, even a worse case scenario we suck on D for 1 year, but at least Mullen can learn a lot about recruiting. O taught Freeze everything he knows.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Michigan's DC, you mean...

Look at bc's defensive ranking. Michigan is fine too, but that isn't a viable lateral move.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 04:18 PM
O taught Freeze everything he knows.

Funny. Correlation does not equal causation.

HoopsDawg
01-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Look at bc's defensive ranking. Michigan is fine too, but that isn't a viable lateral move.

LOL, BC's coordinator went to Michigan already.

NCDawg
01-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Engie, how would anyone know if he is a good coordinator? Has he ever been given the opportunity?

At this point I'm all for going in a different direction than we have in the past. What we've been doing isn't going to work any longer, we are being passed up by our instate rival. We have to do something different.

I agree. Ole Miss is eating our lunch in recruiting. We've got to try something different.

engie
01-02-2016, 04:23 PM
This is it's own answer. A guy that's raced up through the ranks multiple times -- enough to be entrusted with head coach duties twice -- but never enough to be entrusted with calling a defense. Do you think this is some revolutionary idea MSU fans came up with regarding Ogre that no one else in the administrations around the country has considered to gain his recruiting prowess? The fact that -- in 2 decades -- no one has pulled the trigger even once -- gives tremendous reason for pause. I think that's in his personality.

Maybe. He just strikes me as a disaster at trying to call a defense. Recruiting and strategizing/scheming are so different they are not even connected traits in any way. I want the chess master calling the defense -- not the class favorite.

If you want to give him a "defensive coordinator" title and a million dollars -- and hire someone else to actually call the defense and coach linebackers -- fine. All for that.

The instate rival -- with the x's and o's DC that they don't even ask to recruit really.

My only point -- overall -- is there is ONE position on staff that IDGAF about having a "recruiter" -- and that position is DC. It's the most important x's and o's position we have. I would have thought that the Orange Bowl where we turned it over to the rest of the staff would have proven that not just anyone can jump in and be a DC. Particularly in the day of the hurry up offense...

BoomBoom
01-02-2016, 04:28 PM

No. He does not have the personality to work for Mullen. He'd end up putting him in the hospital.

engie
01-02-2016, 04:31 PM

Their defenses at BC have been awesome. I'm well aware. That doesn't change the fact that Don Brown is Michigan's defensive coordinator now. And DJ Durkin, Michigan's previous DC, is head coach at Maryland.

Dawg61
01-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Engie I am pretty sure you can agree that O wouldn't coach the defense like the pus$y bend don't break scheme we've seen the last forever. He might not be the smartest X's and O's guy but he WILL have an extremely motivated defense that wants to bust everyone in the mouth. He is a phenomenal recruiter too. I am more than fine with O coaching our D next year.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 04:45 PM
I was against O last year as well, but now I'm not.

It's become clear to me that this program needs a kick in the ass to go from good to great, & to do that, we may have to take some risks.

I am fully aware that O doesn't have DC experience, & I'm fully aware that that lack of experience could cause him to suck at being a DC & blow up in our faces.

However, the upside is worth it for me. It would be a splash hire that would get plenty of coverage and immediately improve recruiting. I also think that O would be a great motivator & get our guys playing faster & more physical.

Again, if we are going to move up a notch in this conference, we have to get our of our conservative ways & take a chance. Now is that time.

ScoobaDawg
01-02-2016, 04:47 PM
He's a realistic candidate as a hell of a DL coach and an amazing recruiter.
He's only a candidate if you can make him feel like he is a DC..without letting him actually call the plays.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
LOL, BC's coordinator went to Michigan already.

Dang. Gotta keep up better.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Their defenses at BC have been awesome. I'm well aware. That doesn't change the fact that Don Brown is Michigan's defensive coordinator now. And DJ Durkin, Michigan's previous DC, is head coach at Maryland.

My bad engie. Just haven't kept up

IMissJack
01-02-2016, 05:35 PM
My LSU friends thought Coach O was going to be their DC a couple of days ago, don't know what happened.

engie
01-02-2016, 05:37 PM
My LSU friends thought Coach O was going to be their DC a couple of days ago, don't know what happened.

LSU hired the best available DC in the country is what happened...

confucius say
01-02-2016, 05:43 PM
No. If he was a legit candidate to be a DC -- why has he never gotten the promition? Never more obvious than it was at LSU in this cycle. Just because someone can recruit -- it blows my mind that a huge percentage of our fanbase thinks that qualifies them to coordinate a defense -- the single most important x's and o's position on our staff.

It's like no one here watched the Orange Bowl last year.

That part of our fan base, to which I may or may not belong, does not care if he is qualified to coordinate a defense. They just want them highly rated recruits mane.

engie
01-02-2016, 05:45 PM
That part of our fan base, to which I may or may not belong, does not care if he is qualified to coordinate a defense. They just want them highly rated recruits mane.

We Are....
Oleeeee....
Missssss....

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm normally on the "if O was a good DC he'd be a DC" train....but **** it....It's not like we didn't get torched by every competent offense we faced this year, so O probably won't do any worse. AND we will recruit better. Hell, give him a 1 year deal for $750k....if our defense sucks next year, fire him after he helps us finish this year's class & recruit next year's. What have we got to lose at this point? It's not like next year we're expecting 10 wins or wanting to send Dak off a winner. BRING ON DA WILDBOYS!!

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 05:50 PM
We Are....
Oleeeee....
Missssss....

Not the head coach....just the DC/Crootin Coordinator. Would actually make some sense. I don't agree with going 100% recruiting, & no development...but hiring O would give us a good mix u would think.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm normally on the "if O was a good DC he'd be a DC" train....but **** it....It's not like we didn't get torched by every competent offense we faced this year, so O probably won't do any worse. AND we will recruit better. Hell, give him a 1 year deal for $750k....if our defense sucks next year, fire him after he helps us finish this year's class & recruit next year's. What have we got to lose at this point? It's not like next year we're expecting 10 wins or wanting to send Dak off a winner. BRING ON DA WILDBOYS!!

This is kind of how I feel as well.

I completely understand what Engie is saying & believe that what he is saying is correct 90+% of the time, but I think it may be time to take a risk. If it blows up, it blows up.

I just don't see this program being able to take the next step unless we improve our talent level & take some risks. The move would offer us immediate credibility on the recruiting trail & I actually think would the defense to play extremely hard and fast. Surround him with competent Xs & Os guys, & think it could work.

I'll trust Mullen on this because I don't think he'd hire a clueless Xs & Os guy. If he hires O, he believe there is something between the ears.

engie
01-02-2016, 05:57 PM

He ain't coming for a one year deal.

IMissJack
01-02-2016, 06:03 PM
This is kind of how I feel as well.

I completely understand what Engie is saying & believe that what he is saying is correct 90+% of the time, but I think it may be time to take a risk. If it blows up, it blows up.

I just don't see this program being able to take the next step unless we improve our talent level & take some risks. The move would offer us immediate credibility on the recruiting trail & I actually think would the defense to play extremely hard and fast. Surround him with competent Xs & Os guys, & think it could work.

I'll trust Mullen on this because I don't think he'd hire a clueless Xs & Os guy. If he hires O, he believe there is something between the ears.

Typically the D recruiting has not been that bad, particularly the DL. Unless the new DC can recruit OL and RB's, how much will it help? Maybe he could recruit the D so well that it will force someone to do something about the OL.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:03 PM
He ain't coming for a one year deal.

Yea I know. Short as possible though

engie
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Not the head coach....just the DC/Crootin Coordinator. Would actually make some sense. I don't agree with going 100% recruiting, & no development...but hiring O would give us a good mix u would think.

We're not talking player development here. That's not what a DC does. Playcalling. Adjusting. Scheming. A DC is a chess players. Does Coach O strike you as a chess player? What in his career gives you the impression that he's good at any of the 3 above? Why has he never done it?

Over half our fanbase is fully ready to mortgage our future and everything we've gained for a few more recruits on a hail mary that no other athletics administration in the country is willing to role the dice on is beyond comprehension for me. It's no guarantee it can't work -- but it's putting all of our money on snake eyes. It's the most Ole Miss thing ever. Except in the current tense they actually have a competent DC that they don't ask to recruit -- and instead surround him with recruiters that stockpile him with talent that he can make look awesome on Saturdays.

You don't mortgage the DC spot to recruit. I'm sorry -- you just don't. The coordinator opposite the head coach's background is the one position you've got to have competent x's and o's above all else. Moreover -- in the current SECW -- with our built-in disadvantages -- you need an x's and o's savant in that spot.

LSU is the #1 class in the country right now -- and Ogre is barely in the top 25 of recruiters. He's not the only elite recruiter in the country. But since our fans only apparently pay attention to us and Ole Miss -- they are totally obsessed with him. Hell, let's hire Frank Wilson for a million and make him defensive coordinator. Why not hire Brewster for the spot? I get that there's a difference there -- but it highlights my point.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 06:06 PM
If Dan is going to insist on bend but don't break- and he will even if we hired Buddy Ryan- the ONLY way it will work is with elite talent. And O can get that for us.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Typically the D recruiting has not been that bad, particularly the DL. Unless the new DC can recruit OL and RB's, how much will it help? Maybe he could recruit the D so well that it will force someone to do something about the OL.

It gonna take more than "not that bad" to get where we want to go.

Ole Miss & Alabama's defenses play at a different speed than ours. We need to get better.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 06:07 PM

He brought in Oher, Jerry, and Green-Ellis I believe.

IMissJack
01-02-2016, 06:08 PM
One thing is for sure, if we do not up assistant salaries and get some continuity from good coaches (all positions), it is going to be hard to build anything better.

engie
01-02-2016, 06:13 PM
If Dan is going to insist on bend but don't break- and he will even if we hired Buddy Ryan- the ONLY way it will work is with elite talent. And O can get that for us.

Did we not just set the school record for TFL?

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
We're not talking player development here. That's not what a DC does. Playcalling. Adjusting. Scheming. A DC is a chess players. Does Coach O strike you as a chess player? What in his career gives you the impression that he's good at any of the 3 above? Why has he never done it?

Over half our fanbase is fully ready to mortgage our future and everything we've gained for a few more recruits on a hail mary that no other athletics administration in the country is willing to role the dice on is beyond comprehension for me. It's no guarantee it can't work -- but it's putting all of our money on snake eyes. It's the most Ole Miss thing ever. Except in the current tense they actually have a competent DC that they don't ask to recruit -- and instead surround him with recruiters that stockpile him with talent that he can make look awesome on Saturdays.

You don't mortgage the DC spot to recruit. I'm sorry -- you just don't. The coordinator opposite the head coach's background is the one position you've got to have competent x's and o's above all else. Moreover -- in the current SECW -- with our built-in disadvantages -- you need an x's and o's savant in that spot.

LSU is the #1 class in the country right now -- and Ogre is barely in the top 25 of recruiters. He's not the only elite recruiter in the country. But since our fans only apparently pay attention to us and Ole Miss -- they are totally obsessed with him. Hell, let's hire Frank Wilson for a million and make him defensive coordinator. Why not hire Brewster for the spot? I get that there's a difference there -- but it highlights my point.

We promoted Geoff Collins and we'd never seen him play chess. I didn't say it was a 100% guarantee to work. O can't be a worse "chess player" than Chris Wilson, and while Wilson was bad, he didn't tear down our program.

Dawg61
01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Did we not just set the school record for TFL?

Did we not just set the school record for least fumbles recovered?

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:22 PM
After a small amount of looking around, Lance Thompson would be a much better hire than O if we could get him

Really Clark?
01-02-2016, 06:29 PM
We promoted Geoff Collins and we'd never seen him play chess. I didn't say it was a 100% guarantee to work. O can't be a worse "chess player" than Chris Wilson, and while Wilson was bad, he didn't tear down our program.

Collins had been coordinator at 3 different schools before joining us. Including FIU.

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Collins had been coordinator at 3 different schools before joining us. Including FIU.

Thought he was just linebackers. Oh well. Chris Wilson then ha

engie
01-02-2016, 06:34 PM
We promoted Geoff Collins and we'd never seen him play chess
Wrong. He was in the running for the Broyles Award as a DC before we hired him.

And it can absolutely get worse than Chris Wilson was.

engie
01-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Did we not just set the school record for least fumbles recovered?

Because of "bend don't break"?

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Wrong. He was in the running for the Broyles Award as a DC before we hired him.

And it can absolutely get worse than Chris Wilson was.

Ok. Not getting into a classic 9 page "engie wants to argue" thread....so I'll just agree to disagree. O likely wouldn't be as bad or worse than Wilson. I'd rather have Thompson though.

bulldawg28
01-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Ok. Not getting into a classic 9 page "engie wants to argue" thread....so I'll just agree to disagree. O likely wouldn't be as bad or worse than Wilson. I'd rather have Thompson though.

Wilson was bad though bro. I was so glad he was turned loose..lol

CadaverDawg
01-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Wilson was bad though bro. I was so glad he was turned loose..lol

Me too! That's my point, Wilson was awful & even HE didn't derail our program....so freaking out at the mere thought of O seems silly to me.

NCDawg
01-02-2016, 08:14 PM

I'd rather have O. He knows the area well and would probably do all he could do to beat Ole Miss. His LSU DL looked very good this year imo.

dawgoneyall
01-02-2016, 08:14 PM
As they say Jimmy's & Joe's beats X's & O's

BoomBoom
01-02-2016, 09:33 PM

yeah, but Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss etc are ALWAYS gonna have their own Jimmies and Joes. gonna take X's & O's to beat them. i would hope the last few years would have taught our fanbase that, but our fanbase is too interested in making excuses, not analyzing and improving. i guess that means we have the perfect HC for our fanbase.

dawgoneyall
01-02-2016, 09:47 PM
You don't beat teams with more talent often and certainly not consistently.

engie
01-02-2016, 09:58 PM

So your solution is to start out recruiting Alabama and lsu?

engie
01-02-2016, 10:00 PM
I'd rather have O. He knows the area well and would probably do all he could do to beat Ole Miss. His LSU DL looked very good this year imo.

A good DL means you can call a defense. It is known**

MabenMaroon
01-02-2016, 10:01 PM

They looked real good against UNM and Bama ? In both games they got trucked, we are already well adept at that aspect regarding Bama and UNM.

engie
01-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Wilson coached a top 25 defense here people seem to have forgotten. The best scoring D here in what is approaching 20 years. In the end, I agree he wasn't a great DC -- mainly because of the cluster 17 he created in his own position group with the Cherry starting at DT and Eulls at DE insanity. We are still living off his DL talent though. Since it's all about crootin and all...

And no, I wasn't looking to argue. Just that the attempted point about Collins was a really bad one. In reality -- we have fielded 5 good defenses here in 7 years -- and our fans are now singing kumbaya and assuming it's a given when it isn't.

32 Dive
01-02-2016, 10:16 PM
So your solution is to start out recruiting Alabama and lsu?

Of course it is! (lol) But the real solution, would be the answer in HOW we'd out-recruit Bama and LSU. :confused:

msstate7
01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Of course it is! (lol) But the real solution, would be the answer in HOW we'd out-recruit Bama and LSU. :confused:

We won't unless we get Saban or urban Meyer... In other words, we won't

cheewgumm
01-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Basically we can't out recruit Ole Miss or Auburn or Bama or LSU or A&M or Arkansas for that matter.And we shouldn't expect to, because we are Miss State.

So we need to hire a defensive genius, because he needs to take 2 and 3 star recruits and beat 5 star players.

So who are the candidates?

dawgoneyall
01-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Nah. Just out recruit MSU.

Jacksondevildog
01-02-2016, 11:03 PM
Basically we can't out recruit Ole Miss or Auburn or Bama or LSU or A&M or Arkansas for that matter.And we shouldn't expect to, because we are Miss State.

So we need to hire a defensive genius, because he needs to take 2 and 3 star recruits and beat 5 star players.

Exactly. We have people believing this shit.

engie
01-02-2016, 11:24 PM

It's literally not possible. All this OM hoopla -- and they haven't done it either. Nor will they. They haven't out recruited auburn or aTm yet either. Not even once yet.

engie
01-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Exactly. We have people believing this shit.

The funny thing is -- what you believe is dumber.

engie
01-02-2016, 11:28 PM

Since when do we not outrecruit Arkansas?

No one is our recruiting the big 3 in the west. And it's moronic beyond belief that its what people think is our path to future success now. All over a guy that's the 25th best recruiter in the country right now on the #1 recruiting staff. Let's give him not one -- but two -- jobs he's never done -- in the sec west -- because we are jealous of one of his protege's recruiting success at Ole Miss and the only possible solution is to imitate them as closely as possible.

Todd4State
01-02-2016, 11:43 PM
It's literally not possible. All this OM hoopla -- and they haven't done it either. Nor will they. They haven't out recruited auburn or aTm yet either. Not even once yet.

One big advantage we have over Ole Miss is we dominate Mississippi in recruiting unless a player is from Oxford. Even then we hold our own in South Panola.

All we really need to do is recruit the o-line better and maybe add in 2-3 elite out of state prospects to that and we will pass Ole Miss easily.

Now Orgeron can do that for us- might have landed Sullivan and Willie Allen for us- and maybe Thompson can as well. I'd like to get both of possible.

Thompson is probably safer of a hire when you are talking about DC and recruiter, but O has a higher upside but more risk.

djaymsu5
01-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Yep, even a worse case scenario we suck on D for 1 year, but at least Mullen can learn a lot about recruiting. O taught Freeze everything he knows.

Ray Lewis- LBers coach
Ed Reed- Safeties coach

Could you imagine how nasty that D would be. Wouldn't even have to recruit you would have kids waiting in line to sign.

cheewgumm
01-02-2016, 11:54 PM
People feel like we need to recruit better. It's not "moronic" to want better recruiters on our coaching staff. It's perfectly logical.

We don't think we are sacrificing and X and O genius because we have seen the last 7 hires. What would make us think that if we don't hire a recruiter that we're getting the defensive genius coach?

I'm going to continue to hope we hire a great recruiter. I'll take my chances with great players and the chance of a lesser defensive X and O guy.

Jacksondevildog
01-02-2016, 11:54 PM
The funny thing is -- what you believe is dumber.

Damn. I got dealt with.

Really Clark?
01-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Ray Lewis- LBers coach
Ed Reed- Safeties coach

Could you imagine how nasty that D would be. Wouldn't even have to recruit you would have kids waiting in line to sign.

Yeah the way they have coached at....do you honestly think bringing two guys with no experience is a good idea in the SEC? Great players. Have no clue if they even want to coach much less are capable. Much bigger chance that they would be inept vs making the defense nasty. Never mind we have some DL personnel defiences for a 3-4 defense that they have played in their entire careers at the NFL.

msstate7
01-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Yeah the way they have coached at....do you honestly think bringing two guys with no experience is a good idea in the SEC? Great players. Have no clue if they even want to coach much less are capable. Much bigger chance that they would be inept vs making the defense nasty. Never mind we have some DL personnel defiences for a 3-4 defense that they have played in their entire careers at the NFL.

Ray Lewis probably makes a lot of money working for ESPN... More than we could pay him. Regardless he isn't coming here

cheewgumm
01-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Bill Walsh could have coached out OL and it wouldn't have mattered.

10 sacks against Bama.

I've never even heard of a team giving up that many sacks.

maroonmania
01-03-2016, 12:05 AM

We don't have to outrecruit anybody, but we do have to have a Top 25 quality of class most every year to compete in this league for anything other than making minor bowl games (and if we are satisfied with that fine because its lots better than we have done in the past). I don't think anyone is expecting us to have Top 15 classes routinely or maybe ever but classes outside the Top 25 or at least Top 30 make it extremely difficult to be any kind of real factor in this league. The 2 most talented teams in the league THIS year were AL and OM and we couldn't really stay on the field with either IN Starkville. Everyone else we at least looked like we had a chance to compete with but that was with an advantage at the most important position on the field. We likely we won't have that advantage next year.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Ray Lewis probably makes a lot of money working for ESPN... More than we could pay him. Regardless he isn't coming here

I'm sure. Neither one is qualified either.

djaymsu5
01-03-2016, 12:33 AM

I was only joking.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-03-2016, 01:06 AM
I heard The Rock was trading in his title belt & oscar nomination to pick up the coaching whistle - he was a good coach in Gridiron Gang, has connections to Florida and Parts Unknown, might need to give him a call.

Todd4State
01-03-2016, 01:26 AM
Bill Walsh could have coached out OL and it wouldn't have mattered.

10 sacks against Bama.

I've never even heard of a team giving up that many sacks.

I disagree. We looked better with Malone at C and Desper at LG. We probably should have put Clayborn at RG and played Jenkins more. Any time we were forced to shuffle the line it seemed like they played better.

We don't need Bill Walsh- we just need a competent o-line coach.

engie
01-03-2016, 09:43 AM
People feel like we need to recruit better. It's not "moronic" to want better recruiters on our coaching staff. It's perfectly logical.
Not one person has said otherwise. The moronic part is wanting them to call your defense -- simply because they can recruit -- based on NOTHING but their ability to recruit and their relationship with "big brother."

We don't think we are sacrificing and X and O genius because we have seen the last 7 hires. What would make us think that if we don't hire a recruiter that we're getting the defensive genius coach?

We've had 5 good defenses in the last 7 years. Yet you -- and many of our posters apparently -- are not satisfied with that. Or can't even recognize it. But you are convinced we can fall uphill by hiring someone that in 2 decades as a top assistant has never once been tasked with calling a defense? Hell -- let's just hire Tim Brewster and bring him back as defensive coordinator. I literally do not see the difference? He's 22 spots higher in recruiter rankings than Ogre right now. Remind me how many elite guys he landed for us the first time?

I'm going to continue to hope we hire a great recruiter. I'll take my chances with great players and the chance of a lesser defensive X and O guy.
I'm not a football genius -- it just appalls me just how risky it is and lazy it is as a "champion" for the DC position simply to spit in the eye of Ole Miss and recruit. It takes barely beyond the average wife-level football watching intelligence to know that the playcaller opposite the head coach has to be something more than a yaw yaw guy that brings in good players. But hell everyone has forgotten last year's Orange Bowl without a competent playcaller -- so I know everyone forgot the 2012 defense -- the one with at least two future pros at every level of the defense that got torched by everyone -- in spite of the recruiter in charge of that defense bringing in the most loaded position group of any single spot in the Mullen era at his own position group.

What was Ogre's best class ranked in his time there, by the way?

engie
01-03-2016, 09:53 AM
We don't have to outrecruit anybody, but we do have to have a Top 25 quality of class most every year to compete in this league for anything other than making minor bowl games (and if we are satisfied with that fine because its lots better than we have done in the past). I don't think anyone is expecting us to have Top 15 classes routinely or maybe ever but classes outside the Top 25 or at least Top 30 make it extremely difficult to be any kind of real factor in this league. The 2 most talented teams in the league THIS year were AL and OM and we couldn't really stay on the field with either IN Starkville. Everyone else we at least looked like we had a chance to compete with but that was with an advantage at the most important position on the field. We likely we won't have that advantage next year.

We got blown up at one position. Wholly separate from the one everyone is knighting as the fix for the problem. How is hiring Ogre going to fix our Offensive Line? Answer -- it isn't.

Top 25 classes is the goal? 4 year mean average we are ranked 23rd by the composite at this very moment. So we are already accomplishing that goal.

Coach34
01-03-2016, 09:56 AM
We have 4 guys getting drafted off our D this April alone. We had two 2nd round draft picks last year

We seem to recruit OK on D

defiantdog
01-03-2016, 10:22 AM
We have 4 guys getting drafted off our D this April alone. We had two 2nd round draft picks last year

We seem to recruit OK on D

The state of MS seems to produce good defensive players every year. Offensive players seem to be less common. We haven't even attempted to recruit a qb from MS since Tyler Russell.

cheewgumm
01-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I disagree. We looked better with Malone at C and Desper at LG. We probably should have put Clayborn at RG and played Jenkins more. Any time we were forced to shuffle the line it seemed like they played better.

We don't need Bill Walsh- we just need a competent o-line coach.

Ok, I stand corrected. I'll chalk up the Bana and Ole Miss 16 sacks as is just being out of position.

1bigdawg
01-03-2016, 11:23 AM

Great Idea, but he is already at Ohio State. Meyer approached this the right way. He looked at the stats then researched the people and hired the very best available.

Really Clark?
01-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Great Idea, but he is already at Ohio State. Meyer approached this the right way. He looked at the stats then researched the people and hired the very best available.

He went to Michigan not Ohio State