PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Bowl Game Edition

Coach34
01-02-2016, 12:03 PM
1. Solid win. We came out and played hard. We looked prepared. We looked fired up and serious. It was good to see us like that after last year's fiasco vs GaTech.

2. Dakota Prescott- what more can you say? Mississippi's all-time best QB went out in style. 380 yards- 4 TD's. Threw 1 pick but the DB actually made a really good play on the ball and beat the WR to the spot. Very good game from Prescott and good to see him win his 25th game at QB (which was more than Eli or Archie won FYI). He also threw his 29th TD pass to set the new standard for QB's in a season at State. Hard to believe just 5 years ago many State fans thought it outlandish for a State QB to total 30 TD's in a season- much less almost throw 30. Thanks for living up to and exceeding my prediction as the best QB in State history.

3. RB's played well. Holloway has used every ounce of his ability this season and proven to be a tough little shit. I sincerely hope we can get him back to his proper role in 2016. Shump even had a couple of solid carries. The conditions were just right for him. We almost rushed for 200 yards- a good surprise.

4. Helluva job by Malone stepping in at Center for the bowl game- especially considering the weather conditions. No real snap issues. He should get a FA contract just because of his flexability. Calhoun played physical and looked like the guy we have been hearing about. Jenkins did a good job on the Ross reverse TD run of recognizing Fred had the first guy beat- and he continued on to make a block on the next level. We still didnt get much push- but we havent all year. Overall good job though by this group

5. I knew when Wilson scored his TD and blew kisses to the crowd that was his last game. Great way to say goodbye though- have to give him that. We lined him up in the slot on that play and he ran free in the seam- much like he will do in the NFL. Ross was his stellar self- hope he doesnt do something crazy and declare (have not heard he is considering it). We throw to Gray on consecutive plays and then he is never heard from again. Very unusual season for him. Tons of talent and strongass hands. He is definitely in the Steve Smith mold and should be nothing but better next year. Fred Brown will certainly have an increased work load next year. He really came on this year.

6. Jonathan Calvin- Ry Brown being hurt was actually a good thing overall. Really gave Calvin a chance before going into Spring ball. He is quick off the ball- gives us something we have missed vs Spread teams. But he isnt as physical. Getting on top of Brisset on the opening play was huge though. Thats something to watch going forward- we have lacked quickness off the edge and that has hurt vs Spread offenses. Nick James has really learned what it takes to be an SEC player. Solid game from the DL. Good luck Chris Jones and thanks for turning it on in the 2nd half of the season- finished with a really good day and 5 tackles.

7. Glad to see us insert Gerri Green into the starting line-up. Get your 3 best players out there and see what happens. We played Green in normal situations and subbed in Gray in passing situations. Very well done by Manny. We still didnt attack and missed some tackles though- even though we did get 4 TFL's out of the LB'ers. We kept getting caught up in the trash too much.

8. Secondary played well overall. On their 1st TD- NC St lined up in a 2-TE, 2 Wing set. We had some confusion as to what coverage we were in- Calhoun's side thought we were in Man- and ran with the crossing routes. Cleveland's side thought we were in zone and just backed up at the snap. The Result? Nobody covering the TE as he crossed from right to left and an 82 yard TD pass down the left sideline. Ritchie recognized what was going on too late- the TE was 5 steps past him already.
Coman played a solid game. We got the younger guys out there some too.

9. ST's were solid. Graves just had the 2nd best season in school history for a FG kicker. He needs to hit the weightroom now. Got to feel good about punter and kicker next year.

10. 9-4. Solid season- but with 6 2016 NFL draft picks on the field- sad it couldnt have been more. Good luck to Prescott, Wilson, Ry Brown, Chris Jones, Redmond, and Calhoun as they work to improve their draft position. Redmond still projects 2nd round even with the ACL- teams will check him out closely. Jones has a chance at the Combine to solidify himself late 1st-2nd. Curious to see if Prescott or Wilson goes next in the 3rd. 9-4 with 4 players drafted in top 3 rounds would be a shame.

On to next year.

C34

basedog
01-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Your best work 34. We did indeed have a solid season. I'd take 9-4 next season and be happy again.

defiantdog
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
#10 on the list really stands out. We can complain all we want about what should have happened, but we did finish with another 9 win season. Next year is going to be a struggle with a new qb in the system..... that's usually a recipe for mistakes. I still think we'll be around the 6 or 7 win range next year. 9 is a stretch. But after watching the guys at bowl practice, I've noticed a nice transition with the team. Fitz has really embraced the role as the next guy up. Also, the coaching staff are making it seem like the positions won't be guaranteed for players in the spring. This is something new for our team considering we typically know who's going to start before the season begins. Look for names like Darryl Williams, Tim Washington, Cory Thomas, Michael Story, Maurice Smitherman, Chris Rayford, Kendell Jones, Jesse Jackson, Justin Johnson, and Martinas Rankin to be thrown around more. Also of note, Green playing more OLB and stand up DE is not because he isn't capable of playing MLB. It's because Leo has turned into the monster we all hoped for..... his maturity in the last few months is Nick James like. He's going to be a dynamic football player for us.

Irondawg
01-02-2016, 01:07 PM
oh to think what could have been if we had beaten LSU and OM. We weren't beating Bama and that A&M game was just a bad road game which happens. But we had ourselves in good position to at least go 10-3 or 11-2

msstate7
01-02-2016, 01:09 PM
#10 on the list really stands out. We can complain all we want about what should have happened, but we did finish with another 9 win season. Next year is going to be a struggle with a new qb in the system..... that's usually a recipe for mistakes. I still think we'll be around the 6 or 7 win range next year. 9 is a stretch. But after watching the guys at bowl practice, I've noticed a nice transition with the team. Fitz has really embraced the role as the next guy up. Also, the coaching staff are making it seem like the positions won't be guaranteed for players in the spring. This is something new for our team considering we typically know who's going to start before the season begins. Look for names like Darryl Williams, Tim Washington, Cory Thomas, Michael Story, Maurice Smitherman, Chris Rayford, Kendell Jones, Jesse Jackson, Justin Johnson, and Martinas Rankin to be thrown around more. Also of note, Green playing more OLB and stand up DE is not because he isn't capable of playing MLB. It's because Leo has turned into the monster we all hoped for..... his maturity in the last few months is Nick James like. He's going to be a dynamic football player for us.

Love hearing that about Leo.

missouridawg
01-02-2016, 01:13 PM
I think Chris Jones has a chance to be one of the first 3 DTs taken in the draft. According to some NFL stat nerd, he has graded as the highest performing DT since week 5 of the season. Couple that with a freakish combine performance and he could go on day 1.

cheewgumm
01-02-2016, 01:13 PM
I honestly think for Mullen it's as simple as "improve OL recruiting drastically".

I pray for it every night.

missouridawg
01-02-2016, 01:16 PM
I honestly think for Mullen it's as simple as "improve OL recruiting drastically".

If we got the ball out quickly more, it wouldn't be as big of a deal... But we spent a lot of time going through progressions this year and it out our OL in a vulnerable spot against the best DLs in the country.

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 01:54 PM
I think Chris Jones has a chance to be one of the first 3 DTs taken in the draft. According to some NFL stat nerd, he has graded as the highest performing DT since week 5 of the season. Couple that with a freakish combine performance and he could go on day 1.

He's going to move up in a major way. People have no clue what's coming. He could be a top 2/3 DT, if not move into the #1 DT spot.

defiantdog
01-02-2016, 01:55 PM

TN will be the state to poach OL's in 2017. MS just doesn't produce OL like other states do. And OL are probably the most difficult position to recruit. I have a feeling we may steal one or two from Louisiana in 2017 though.

defiantdog
01-02-2016, 01:55 PM
He's going to move up in a major way. People have no clue what's coming. He could be a top 2/3 DT, if not move into the #1 DT spot.

Switching to a 3-4 defense will benefit Jones, and I think a lot of scouts know this as well.

PassInterference
01-02-2016, 03:32 PM

I bet he gets drafted ahead of Nkemdiche.

So Chris Jones finishes college with better stats, more wins, and better post-season wins than Nkemdiche. And he'll get drafted over Nkemdiche.

Now if only we had the PR game to go with it. Nkemdiche is a household name. Chris Jones is not.

Coach34
01-02-2016, 08:14 PM
bump

Jack Lambert
01-02-2016, 08:17 PM
They move Holloway away from being a WR due to him not being able to hold on to the ball but damn he has developed into a good ball catcher comming out of the back field.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2016, 08:19 PM
TN will be the state to poach OL's in 2017. MS just doesn't produce OL like other states do. And OL are probably the most difficult position to recruit. I have a feeling we may steal one or two from Louisiana in 2017 though.

You would think MS would have a lot of O-Lineman. As fat ass as we are as a state.

Intramural All-American
01-02-2016, 08:52 PM
I bet he gets drafted ahead of Nkemdiche.

So Chris Jones finishes college with better stats, more wins, and better post-season wins than Nkemdiche. And he'll get drafted over Nkemdiche.

Now if only we had the PR game to go with it. Nkemdiche is a household name. Chris Jones is not.

Nkemdiche is projected #3 overall even after his incident. Jones may jump into first round, but I don't see him going above RK.

Coach34
01-02-2016, 09:02 PM
I see Kimchee going 15-20- NFL owners are that dumb. Jones will be late 1st-early 2nd

OurState
01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
I see Kimchee going 15-20- NFL owners are that dumb. Jones will be late 1st-early 2nd

First, thanks for this. Good stuff

Second, let's hope CJ goes top of the second. Then he gets a shorter contract and makes his. Real $ sooner.