PDA

View Full Version : Good Article - Swag is back

Big4Dawg
08-06-2013, 03:59 PM
http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Link didn't work for me. May be because I'm on iPad though....anybody else having trouble?

FlabLoser
08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
One of our filters broke it. I'll have to fix that.

mjh94
08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/fun-love-for-football
(http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/fun-love-for-football)

Drugdog
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Ok State better bring their "a" game. Yeah I'm getting wooly.

EnterpriseDawg
08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
That one post in the comment section brought up a good question. How much of the renewed energy comes from watching the Diamond Dawgs letting loose and just having fun? After last season they needed something to get the passion back. Hopefully it translates into wins.

sbcmortgageman
08-06-2013, 08:15 PM
http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/fun-love-for-football-*cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*-messages-in-fall-camp/

Reminds me of the scene in The Program when the o-lineman says "yippee ki-yo the wild man is back". I'm ready.

Coach 57
08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
@Enterprisedawg- I was wondering the EXACT same thing. Cohen lightened up, and the team responded very well. I know from my personal experience a coach can start tight & rule with an iron rod but then can slack up and ease up ever so slightly and get the most out of his guys. But you can't start loose & tighten up. It doesn't work that way. Trust me.

I have been to a couple of coach's clinics @ MSU since Mullen got here. I was grouped with Wilson alot when I did as I am a DL coach. His methods were different to say the least
He used an intensified style to teach. I remember him telling Pernell McPhee "this ain't chasin' rabbits in your backyard boy! This is the MF'n SEC! Your little weak ______won't make it! You'll be washing my car or flippin burgers at McDonald's if you don't listen!" All the while poking him in the face. Look I don't know if it worked or not. But this isn't my way of teaching kids (yes they are STILL kids) their role & responsibilities on said play/scheme. But I can tell you this, Turner is a WHOLE LOT different in his approach. He is more of of my style. He's not soft by any means but I am not going to curse a kid who I sat in their parents livingroom and promised to properly guide and provide a serogate role as a leader and then do that. But I still respect Wilson regardless because he took extra time with myself and some of our staff as we broke down some film. He didn't HAVE to do that.at all. He could've treated me like Jackie once did and basically act as though I didn't exist.

Dan has done similarly with us as well as Geoff. But there is a definitive change in the attitude of this team....almost a permeating/tangible aura. When I was around them this weekend, I could feel it. Felt good!

Coach34
08-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Cohen and Mullen are good friends- maybe he saw it, talked with him about it, and decided to give it a try

Plus the addition on DT and Gonzo probably didnt hurt either

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/fun-love-for-football
(http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/fun-love-for-football)

Hell yes. I love the sound of what is happening out there. My biggest concern for this team was the hangover effect of last season....but it sounds like there has been a rebirth of fun and energy (SWAG) that we will be bringing to the table this fall.

I have always thought that MSU teams play best when they are physical and cocky about it. We have lacked that swagger since Jackie's years. We finally saw a little bit during the first Gator Bowl run, and it looks like this year we will see it again. I want to see guys showing emotion and energy, and it finally looks like it's back after a year or two hiatus.

ETA: After reading that I noticed I was sweating, so I went to take off this jacket......then I realized that I didn't have on a jacket and this wool doesn't have a zipper.

BulldogDX55
08-06-2013, 10:11 PM
This was the best part:

Standing on the sideline Saturday morning, I did the same as coaches got players ready for 11-on-11. Then new defensive coordinator Geoff Collins barked my name.

"Bob!"

I jumped. What did I do wrong?

"Get over here," he yelled in his permanently hoarse voice. "Come on."

I slowly walked over to the mass of defensive linemen and linebackers drawing into a huddle on the field.

"Get in the middle. FAST. Where's the juice?!"

Terrified, I followed his directions.

They started swaying, getting faster and faster with each movement, massive arms hanging over each other's broad shoulders.

"PSY-CHO-DE-FENSE," they yelled. "PSY-CHO-DE-FENSE," the chant continued as huddle swayed around me.

Then they erupted, hands in the air, yelling one more time before dispersing to the field and their positions. (Editor?s note: Bob was absolutely TERRIFIED at this moment.)

Pollodawg
08-06-2013, 10:49 PM
A team is a brotherhood. They have to play like they want to give it their all for one another, for the coaches, for the school. It's not hard to tell when a player a.) doesn't feel like the coach has their best interest in mind like I think a lot of out defense did with Wilson last season, or b.) isn't having a good time and doesn't feel like they are progressing and learning as a player. In order to make this team feel like a family, Mullen has to bring back the fun and the energy. I think he is doing that.

Last season, the whole team and coaches got put in a place they had never been. They were ranked near the single digits. They were undefeated. The eyes of the conference were on State when we traveled to Bama. What are you going to do? Are you for real? You haven't played anybody. Prove it. I think all of this mind bent the team so badly that we lost our footing and never found a way to recover it. That lead to tension. Tension meant no one was happy anymore.

Dawg61
08-06-2013, 11:17 PM
This article made my night

War Machine Dawg
08-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Absolutely love the sound of what we're hearing. The biggest difference maker in college football can be the passion and energy - "juice" - these guys play with. We're at our best when we're a cocky, physical team that knocks your dick in the dirt and dares you to do something about it. THAT is how MSU football wins games - being a bigger Bully (pun intended). This weak ass shit we tried last year has to go - on BOTH sides of the ball - for us to be successful. The good news is I think Mullen has figure that out himself.