PDA

View Full Version : This board is getting full of SPS type *****s.

Jack Lambert
01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
It's to the point it's not even fun to come on this board anymore.

Coach34
01-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Well Jack- they are in the Sugar Bowl and have beaten us 3/4. There's not a State board out there that feels good right now. The truth is what it is

Coach007
01-01-2016, 10:42 PM
We agree

Jack Lambert
01-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Well Jack- they are in the Sugar Bowl and have beaten us 3/4. There's not a State board out there that feels good right now. The truth is what it is

Why have three freaking threads about the same shit started with in 30 minutes of each other?

Goldendawg
01-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Hey, I like 9 win seasons, much better than most of my MSU life. I sure do want UM to be one of the nine, always.

preachermatt83
01-01-2016, 10:46 PM

This^^

engie
01-01-2016, 10:47 PM
No one has to enjoy it -- but I'd prefer they not run their insecure little brother face out on front street.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2016, 10:50 PM

It's been a really good 2 years for us. But I think reasonable people are concerned about the future. We have lost Tony Hughes and we are losing Sleepy. That means we really don't have any one on our staff with deep ties to MS high school football coaches. That's a big concern. As of today, our current class is not strong at all.

Maroonthirteen
01-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Well, I look it at like this....every Uof<insert state> has a dominating upper hand over every <insert state>State University. Of all those rivalires that I can recall of the top of my head, our rivalry is the most competitive. Look at OU v OkSt...yikes! Anyway, OM has had to cheat their ass off to get the upper hand (currently). However it won't last. We will always be a big thorn in their side and the Egg rivalry will never be as lopsided as bedlam.

One more point, We will be Ok with them winning this Sugar bowl. This is a watered down version of the Sugar. The Sugar prior to the CFP, would had Bama playing, not them.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Here's another truth, according to 247 composite rankings, our projected starting offense will have 2 four star players, 0 five star players.

Defense, 4 4 star players assuming Beni doesn't go pro. So 73% of ours starters will be 3 stars or less.

ScoobaDawg
01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Why have three freaking threads about the same shit started with in 30 minutes of each other?

and I'm merging all of them together now... enough crap about them.. keep the shit in one place

engie
01-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Here's another truth, according to 247 composite rankings, our projected starting offense will have 2 four star players, 0 five star players.

Defense, 4 4 star players assuming Beni doesn't go pro. So 73% of ours starters will be 3 stars or less.

If the whole argument is talent according to crootin experts' star system -- We are losing 2 4*(one of which is Damien Robinson who hasn't seen the field) and one 5* if Jones leaves early in this class. We are losing one 5* player that saw the field past midseason. We've got 4-6 4* players coming off redshirt before you even consider the incoming class. We are going to add at least 5 composite 4*s in this class. So one 5* in exchange for 10 4*s basically. If that system is to be believed -- we are going to see a huge influx of talent next year.

mparkerfd20
01-01-2016, 11:37 PM

I've been considering starting a new one just to get away from what this board has become.

ScoobaDawg
01-01-2016, 11:39 PM
I've been considering starting a new one just to get away from what this board has become.

Feel free to leave and try then... or ignore the little bit of bitching going on. It's a bad day.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2016, 11:41 PM
And? Since the whole argument is talent according to crootin experts' star system -- We are losing 2 4*(one of which is Damien Robinson) and one 5* if Jones leaves early in this class. We are going to add at least 5 composite 4*s in this class. So it looks like we're still upgrading talent to me.

Mullen can coach. He can develop QB's with the best of them. When we play a team with equal or less talent, we win. Bama and LSU have always recruited better than us and always will. But now OM is recruiting at an elite level as well. We are playing against a stacked deck and Mullen isn't doing himself any favors by not having the right coaches on staff or the network in place to compete in the SECW. I'm just very concerned about our overall roster and direction we are headed. I did really like our 2015 signing class though so it's not all doom and gloom.

Jacksondevildog
01-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Its disconcerting that we haven't capitalized on last season's success in the 2016 recruiting class. We have followed it up with 9 wins in 2015 and it just feels like we are spinning our wheels in the mud on the recruiting scene.

EAVdog
01-01-2016, 11:55 PM
If the whole argument is talent according to crootin experts' star system -- We are losing 2 4*(one of which is Damien Robinson who hasn't seen the field) and one 5* if Jones leaves early in this class. We are losing one 5* player that saw the field past midseason. We've got 4-6 4* players coming off redshirt before you even consider the incoming class. We are going to add at least 5 composite 4*s in this class. So one 5* in exchange for 10 4*s basically. If that system is to be believed -- we are going to see a huge influx of talent next year.

People have completely forgotten about last years class. Our overall talent level is about to jump. You could see it just by having Elgton and Deion on the OL. People need to chill on the OM hype, their game will work itself out. It always does, you can't keep getting lucky with transfers and talented but troubled kids.

HoopsDawg
Its disconcerting that we haven't capitalized on last season's success in the 2016 recruiting class. We have followed it up with 9 wins in 2015 and it just feels like we are spinning our wheels in the mud on the recruiting scene.

Yep, only 1 4 star composite commit right now.

Goldendawg
We've raised the bar. Back to back 9 and 10 wins is historic for us. Now let's figure out how to beat LSU, Alabama, A&M, and as much as I ate to say it UM, to move from the middle of the West back to Atlanta, where we've been one time in my life for the SEC Championship.

engie
01-02-2016, 12:00 AM

How do we know any of this in advance?

The lowest ranked class of the Mullen era:
Dak
Robinson
Slay
Preston
McKinney
Taveze
Market
Malone
PJ
Rufus
Morrow
Cherry

PJ being the only 4* we got anything out of in that class.

Had we hit on the OL in either that class or the 2012 class -- we would have played in the Sugar and won 11 this year and the whole country would be talking about how we're knocking on the door to greatness right now.

Our issues in recruiting are much smaller than people are making them out to be. It's one lagging position group.

Bothrops
01-02-2016, 12:09 AM
Anyone has to admit that Ole Miss is a really strange place. You have players acting like they enjoy racist fake white high society people and the 'who the hell are we' elitist crap, while attending a school carries the very stigma in which the state of Mississippi is universally hated.

Color me lost.

Bucky Dog
01-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Chill the **** out guys. Quit basing everything solely on OM. Yes I want to beat them but over the past years collectively we have finished better then they have until THIS year!! Yes I hate losing to them 3 of 4 but that won't last. They will struggle next year, Dan will finish strong in recruiting and. Realized he is here for awhile. OM is cheating and will pay.
Our program is fine!!

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2016, 12:15 AM

Dak
Robinson
Slay
Preston
McKinney
Taveze
Market
Malone
PJ
Rufus
Morrow
Cherry

Had we hit on the OL in either that class or the 2012 class -- we would have played in the Sugar and won 11 this year and the whole country would be talking about how we're knocking on the door to greatness right now.

Our issues in recruiting are much smaller than people are making them out to be. It's one lagging position group.

Even if we concede that point, what are we doing to fix the issue? ****ing nothing, near as anyone can tell. Hevesy is still the OL coach and the best OL prospect in years, with a natural MSU "in" at West Point, is still on the fence. You honestly think that would be the case in Oxford? Hell no, and I'll openly call you a liar if you say otherwise. The OL coach would have been gone the day after the Egg Bowl and their croot with a natural "in" would've been locked up months ago.

engie
01-02-2016, 12:28 AM
Even if we concede that point, what are we doing to fix the issue? ****ing nothing, near as anyone can tell. Hevesy is still the OL coach and the best OL prospect in years, with a natural MSU "in" at West Point, is still on the fence. You honestly think that would be the case in Oxford? Hell no, and I'll openly call you a liar if you say otherwise. The OL coach would have been gone the day after the Egg Bowl and their croot with a natural "in" would've been locked up months ago.

Why must you always approach making a point in the most ridiculous and easily disproven method possible? No one disagrees that we've got to recruit better on the OL.
But basically your whole psychobabble is about how Lashley isn't locked up? Righttttt

Since you are a Batesville native and all -- remind me exactly when Tony Conner committed to them? How about Nkemdiche? But, yeah, it would NEVAR happen at Ole Miss!1!11 Except that it does -- all the time.

I already know you won't quit while you are behind on this -- although Conner absolutely destroys the point because the situation with Lashley is exactly the same. Well, not exactly, because Lashley has never been in as much doubt as Conner was right up until he faxed the papers with Bama thinking they had him up until the night before. But go ahead and "openly call me a liar" while you are giving OM credit for stuff they haven't even accomplished.

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Chill the **** out guys. Quit basing everything solely on OM. Yes I want to beat them but over the past years collectively we have finished better then they have until THIS year!! Yes I hate losing to them 3 of 4 but that won't last. They will struggle next year, Dan will finish strong in recruiting and. Realized he is here for awhile. OM is cheating and will pay.
Our program is fine!!

Yes, we have people way too eaten up with comparing everything going on with us to what's going on with OM and I certainly am not happy with losing 3 of 4 to those cheatin' asshats BUT, I think the perceived weak recruiting class so far is actually the biggest source of angst among the message board warrior faction of our fan base. We have areas of our team that need an infusion of better talent and right now we just don't have enough high end talent committed IMO to seemingly get us what we need. In some ways it just doesn't feel like we are getting enough talent to match what we SHOULD be getting given where the program has risen to over the last few years. If we have a strong finish in recruiting you will see a lot of pessimism turn to optimism but with there already being a talent gap between us and the best teams in the SEC West (primarily AL, LSU and OM) its not comforting to think that that gap may widen after this recruiting cycle. I mean seriously, we have what ONE composite 4 star recruit committed and its freaking January? But its all about who ends up signing in February so time will tell.

Schultzy
01-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Engie makin some strong points tonight, and the Sugar means not much more than the Liberty in the CFP era. Anything outside of the final 4 is just another bowl.

Thank goodness for Memphis though, still say I'd be pissed if we had thrown away a Natty with our best team ever bc of a loss to them but they are happy or at least projecting it.

But I don't want to hear them tell me how high their expectations are when they just threw away their last chance ever at winning it all and celebrating the Shug like it matters much this year. No way they can put together a team like this again, but I'd say they blew it.

MannyDiazzzzNuts
01-02-2016, 12:44 AM
One more point, We will be Ok with them winning this Sugar bowl. This is a watered down version of the Sugar. The Sugar prior to the CFP, would had Bama playing, not them.

Alabama was #2 and would've made the National Championship Game either way. Northern Miss would've been #2 in the SEC and in the Sugar Bowl prior to the CFP as well. Yeah it stings, but that's how it shook it out this year. Just imagine had they won the Ark game, they would've gone to Atlanta, trounced Florida for revenge and gotten the #1 SEC seed in the Sugar Bowl either way. Thank God for Memphis.

engie
01-02-2016, 12:50 AM
with there already being a talent gap between us and the best teams in the SEC West (primarily AL, LSU and OM) its not comforting to think that that gap may widen after this recruiting cycle.

I'm confused by when, exactly, we closed this gap in recruiting -- in order for it to "widen" now? People are freaking out about Ole Miss. That is 100% what all of this is about. If they were still struggling behind us -- this conversation isn't happening -- and everyone is still going on about how Mullen is the best talent developer in the league and we don't have to recruit the same way everyone else does to be successful.

News flash -- while we can certainly improve in areas and we must improve -- we ain't catching the SECw big 3 in recruiting. Ain't happening. And for all the hoopla about Ole Miss -- when did they actually outrecruit any of the other 3? In terms of talent saturation(average star ratings per class) instead of considering their 30 man oversigning in 2013, they haven't outrecruited any of the 3 yet. Hell, they haven't yet outrecruited aTm yet either for that matter.

engie
01-02-2016, 12:56 AM
I'm jealous about the Sugar. Regardless of why and how it happened. No point in denying it or downplaying it. Especially that it could have been us had we simply protected the ball and protected home field. I'm jealous of how they play the game. The energy and hard nose style on D. All the gimmicks that seem to work way more often than they should on O. I'm not downplaying their accomplishments. They are an emotional team -- and emotional teams have roller coaster rides. They are always going to be this under Freeze IMO. It is what it is. That win tonight assured they will take our "highest rated team in MS in the last 40 years" title as well. They beat all 3 of their biggest rivals this year, 2 on the road. They had a great season. I don't have to downplay it in order to not let it effect my view on what we should be and how we should build.

Schultzy
01-02-2016, 01:11 AM
Sure, would love to have been there and would've gone and taken the fam, proximity, New Orleans and all but it just ain't what it used to be I years when it's not a playoff game and i'dve said the same if we went.

But you and JAck Lambert's overall point of people over reacting to the current state of affairs is what I agree with. They just blew a great opportunity this year and are staring some big problems in the face.

Many have a hard time believing that at this point but sanctions are coming, not sure how harsh but they've been at it for a long ass time and the only thing they can hope for is the Conference office to use some muscle to lessen the damage.

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Why must you always approach making a point in the most ridiculous and easily disproven method possible? No one disagrees that we've got to recruit better on the OL.
But basically your whole psychobabble is about how Lashley isn't locked up? Righttttt

Since you are a Batesville native and all -- remind me exactly when Tony Conner committed to them? How about Nkemdiche? But, yeah, it would NEVAR happen at Ole Miss!1!11 Except that it does -- all the time.

I already know you won't quit while you are behind on this -- although Conner absolutely destroys the point because the situation with Lashley is exactly the same. Well, not exactly, because Lashley has never been in as much doubt as Conner was right up until he faxed the papers with Bama thinking they had him up until the night before. But go ahead and "openly call me a liar" while you are giving OM credit for stuff they haven't even accomplished.

There was zero doubt Conner was headed to Northern Miss. Zero. Don't know who told you otherwise, but they were full of shit.

And you conveniently didn't address the fact that Hevesy is still employed. We're basically doing nothing from the perspective of the average fan to improve our single biggest area of weakness. We can debate the finer points for days, but the fact is that to the casual fan, there appears to be no course correction from our side. Hell, I could stomach Hevesy staying if we got an announcement tomorrow that Bracky was being reassigned and a lawyer or former NCAA Compliance official was taking over our compliance department.

engie
01-02-2016, 01:25 AM
There was zero doubt Conner was headed to Northern Miss. Zero. Don't know who told you otherwise, but they were full of shit.
Bama people did. But regardless -- how is any of this different than Lashley? It isn't. At all.

And you conveniently didn't address the fact that Hevesy is still employed. We're basically doing nothing from the perspective of the average fan to improve our single biggest area of weakness.
Lashley - 4*
Champion - 4*
Rankin - 4*
Williams - highly recruited 3*
Story - 3* steal good enough that Hugh called in favors with the Rousell brothers last year to try to keep him from EEing with us.
Both of the RSFR we've seen show promise.

Although I'd prefer to go a different direction on the OL -- there is plenty of cause for optimism in the past few classes. What we're paying the piper for right now is whiffing on the spot in the 2011 and 2012 classes.

Also -- it's too early to be freaking out about this. Pretty sure we've never adjusted the staff prior to the coaches' convention, and there has been talk of some potential shuffling beyond the obvious. How about we let it play out first? Mullen has made necessary changes in off season more often than not.

ScoobaDawg
01-02-2016, 01:51 AM
Bama people did. But regardless -- how is any of this different than Lashley? It isn't. At all.

Lashley - 4*
Champion - 4*
Rankin - 4*
Williams - highly recruited 3*
Story - 3* steal good enough that Hugh called in favors with the Rousell brothers last year to try to keep him from EEing with us.
Both of the RSFR we've seen show promise.

Although I'd prefer to go a different direction on the OL -- there is plenty of cause for optimism in the past few classes. What we're paying the piper for right now is whiffing on the spot in the 2011 and 2012 classes.

Also -- it's too early to be freaking out about this. Pretty sure we've never adjusted the staff prior to the coaches' convention, and there has been talk of some potential shuffling beyond the obvious. How about we let it play out first? Mullen has made necessary changes in off season more often than not.

Exactly... People need to calm down. It's a month till signing day. 3 months till Spring practice and 8 months till the season kicks off...
We just finished on a great note of the Belk Bowl, but am letting TSUN's victory over us and their bowl ruin it....
Next year we will be rebuilding but have a lot of potential. TSUN blew their load and will lose a lot.

Dawgface
01-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Engie makin some strong points tonight, and the Sugar means not much more than the Liberty in the CFP era. Anything outside of the final 4 is just another bowl.

Come on...would you say this if we had made it to the Sugar?

RougeDawg
01-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Sure, would love to have been there and would've gone and taken the fam, proximity, New Orleans and all but it just ain't what it used to be I years when it's not a playoff game and i'dve said the same if we went.

But you and JAck Lambert's overall point of people over reacting to the current state of affairs is what I agree with. They just blew a great opportunity this year and are staring some big problems in the face.

Many have a hard time believing that at this point but sanctions are coming, not sure how harsh but they've been at it for a long ass time and the only thing they can hope for is the Conference office to use some muscle to lessen the damage.

Bullshit. Every true MSU fan wanted to be in the Sugar Bowl.

Dan is what he is and until he changes his approach and philosophy to recruiting and developing, we will continue to whiff on top guy and lose to the team's who are better than us. Plain and simple. His arrogance on and off the field will ultimately be his downfall. He used imagination and gimmicks in the early days to win because he had to every game, even against the shit teams. After he built the program up to a certain level and used his imagination to reach #1, he went full Les Miles and tried to sit on the lead with #1. We've been playing not to lose in the big games since reaching #1. Hell he went full "Sit on lead" in Baton rouge last year and almost cost us that one. If Dan has used just a small portion of his '09/'10 playcalling these past two seasons, we most likely make the playoffs both seasons. We cannot line up against the more talented teams and beat them by simply coming straight at them.

Lastly, his arrogance and unwillingness to approach different players differently is killing us the most. Chris Jones is the best example of why top recruits don't choose us. Dan treated him like every other developmental guy and ease him into action. CJ didn't even get significant PT until midway through his freshman year. On the flip side we are recruiting against a coach who would've slapped CJ in the lineup alongside Kimchee from day one and let them do their thing.

Recruits take notice to these things and other coaches use it against us. "Hey 5*!guy, you can go there but probably won't play much until your Soph/junior seasons, they may even redshirt you. If you come here you will play right away. Look at player t,u,v,w,x,y and z who all signed last year and are playing this year. Next year that can be you. You don't want to sit out a year do you?"

Everyone please get your heads out of your asses and understand why we are not recruiting at the next level. Money isn't the issue. We aren't signing top classes because the recruits know they will be babied and "developed" no matter their talent level. Until this mentality changes, our recruiting will remain the same and we will continue watching football from our couches the first weekend of December.

Schultzy
01-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Come on...would you say this if we had made it to the Sugar?

Yes, you're either in the playoff or you're not. That said, I would've gone to NO if we were in it as I stated earlier in the thread.
But times have changed, it's merely a nostalgic bowl in years when it's not playoff related.

Schultzy
01-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Bullshit. Every true MSU fan wanted to be in the Sugar Bowl.

Dan is what he is and until he changes his approach and philosophy to recruiting and developing, we will continue to whiff on top guy and lose to the team's who are better than us. Plain and simple. His arrogance on and off the field will ultimately be his downfall. He used imagination and gimmicks in the early days to win because he had to every game, even against the shit teams. After he built the program up to a certain level and used his imagination to reach #1, he went full Les Miles and tried to sit on the lead with #1. We've been playing not to lose in the big games since reaching #1. Hell he went full "Sit on lead" in Baton rouge last year and almost cost us that one. If Dan has used just a small portion of his '09/'10 playcalling these past two seasons, we most likely make the playoffs both seasons. We cannot line up against the more talented teams and beat them by simply coming straight at them.

Lastly, his arrogance and unwillingness to approach different players differently is killing us the most. Chris Jones is the best example of why top recruits don't choose us. Dan treated him like every other developmental guy and ease him into action. CJ didn't even get significant PT until midway through his freshman year. On the flip side we are recruiting against a coach who would've slapped CJ in the lineup alongside Kimchee from day one and let them do their thing.

Recruits take notice to these things and other coaches use it against us. "Hey 5*!guy, you can go there but probably won't play much until your Soph/junior seasons, they may even redshirt you. If you come here you will play right away. Look at player t,u,v,w,x,y and z who all signed last year and are playing this year. Next year that can be you. You don't want to sit out a year do you?"

Everyone please get your heads out of your asses and understand why we are not recruiting at the next level. Money isn't the issue. We aren't signing top classes because the recruits know they will be babied and "developed" no matter their talent level. Until this mentality changes, our recruiting will remain the same and we will continue watching football from our couches the first weekend of December.
Guess I'm supposed to retort but I actually like your post.

Dawgowar
01-02-2016, 10:02 AM
It's one lagging position group.

This, though I could argue Safety has been a lesser but consistent issue. We will be fine. Players grow and mature. Coaches do give a damn about their teams getting better. Mullen is not the second coming of Bryant but he is driven to improve despite what some think.

We will 'bounce back' from a 9 win season LOL. And yes, we need to and better beat those douchebags up North.

Tripp McNeely
01-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Dak
Robinson
Slay
Preston
McKinney
Taveze
Market
Malone
PJ
Rufus
Morrow
Cherry

Somebody pin this!!

Dawgface
01-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes, you're either in the playoff or you're not. That said, I would've gone to NO if we were in it as I stated earlier in the thread.
But times have changed, it's merely a nostalgic bowl in years when it's not playoff related.

If you're and all or nothing type, you are going to have lot's of disappointments going forward. Other than just a handful of teams that are good enough to go to the playoffs regularly, most won't make often if ever. Which ever big six bowls not included in the playoff in a particular year, those are still good bowls honoring teams with very good seasons. Much better bowls than some who have 5-7 teams. No comparison imo.

Schultzy
01-02-2016, 10:52 AM
If you're and all or nothing type, you are going to have lot's of disappointments going forward. Other than just a handful of teams that are good enough to go to the playoffs regularly, most won't make often if ever. Which ever big six bowls not included in the playoff in a particular year, those are still good bowls honoring teams with very good seasons. Much better bowls than some who have 5-7 teams. No comparison imo.

Not an all or nothing type, I enjoyed the hell out of the Belk bowl and would have driven to the Sugar had we made it bc I like Bourbon Street restaurants and the Superdome.
My point is that the difference in stature of a NYD bowl and the Belk has diminished a good bit because the CFP makes all other bowls 2nd tier in my opinion.

engie
01-02-2016, 11:04 AM
This, though I could argue Safety has been a lesser but consistent issue. We will be fine. Players grow and mature. Coaches do give a damn about their teams getting better. Mullen is not the second coming of Bryant but he is driven to improve despite what some think.

We will 'bounce back' from a 9 win season LOL. And yes, we need to and better beat those douchebags up North.

I agree that it has been an issue in the past, but seems highly unlikely to be an issue in the future. I lost concern once we started getting reports on Bryant last year and signed McLaurin and Peters. IMO, we'll be elite or really close to it at S beginning next year. At least, we will if our personnel decisions are the right ones.

LC Dawg
01-02-2016, 11:41 AM
The Sugar Bowl is a big deal but not as big of a deal as it used to be. Does everyone realize that if the Sugar Bowl didn't host the playoffs last year we would have played in it. Ole Miss just played in the same bowl as we did last year. They just lucked up and got a far inferior opponent.

MarketingBully
01-02-2016, 11:48 AM
The Sugar Bowl is a big deal but not as big of a deal as it used to be. Does everyone realize that if the Sugar Bowl didn't host the playoffs last year we would have played in it. Ole Miss just played in the same bowl as we did last year. They just lucked up and got a far inferior opponent.

Yep, and look at what happened to Georgia Tech this year after winning the bowl. They had a losing record. That very well could happen to Ole Miss next year and if that does happen they could lose momentum. They really could lose momentum if Kelly declares.

MarketingBully
01-02-2016, 11:51 AM
I think the main reason everyone is flying off the handle has to do with the kids in Starkville and West Point not committed that should be committed. I think if we had Lashley, K Jones, and AJ Brown locked up we wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. But in the end, we will be getting those kids so all this bitching and bickering will more then likely be for naught.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-02-2016, 12:14 PM
They will this year

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm confused by when, exactly, we closed this gap in recruiting -- in order for it to "widen" now? People are freaking out about Ole Miss. That is 100% what all of this is about. If they were still struggling behind us -- this conversation isn't happening -- and everyone is still going on about how Mullen is the best talent developer in the league and we don't have to recruit the same way everyone else does to be successful.

News flash -- while we can certainly improve in areas and we must improve -- we ain't catching the SECw big 3 in recruiting. Ain't happening. And for all the hoopla about Ole Miss -- when did they actually outrecruit any of the other 3? In terms of talent saturation(average star ratings per class) instead of considering their 30 man oversigning in 2013, they haven't outrecruited any of the 3 yet. Hell, they haven't yet outrecruited aTm yet either for that matter.

I never actually said anything about closing the gap just that there was a gap. Obviously we have improved our talent level since Mullen has been here but we still aren't at a level to truly compete week in and week out with the SEC's best. But we are going to have to continue to have Top 30 classes just to remain where we are and get to routine Top 15-20 classes to make any true headway in competing with the very top SEC teams. Its pretty obvious at this point that Mullen will very rarely beat teams that have a decided talent advantage on us. Our current class needs to improve significantly just to keep us where we are at.

SDDawg
01-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Yah, outside of the rivalry week it gets kind of old. I think UMiss sucks and nothing they do against an undermanned, weak Big-12 team is going to change that. Sorry.

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Yep, we got the Orange last year and they got the Sugar this year. They are equivalent bowls.

tcdog70
01-02-2016, 12:44 PM
W
It's been a really good 2 years for us. But I think reasonable people are concerned about the future. We have lost Tony Hughes and we are losing Sleepy. That means we really don't have any one on our staff with deep ties to MS high school football coaches. That's a big concern. As of today, our current class is not strong at all.

We could hire Omarr to fill Sleepys spot.

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
I think the main reason everyone is flying off the handle has to do with the kids in Starkville and West Point not committed that should be committed. I think if we had Lashley, K Jones, and AJ Brown locked up we wouldn't be complaining nearly as much. But in the end, we will be getting those kids so all this bitching and bickering will more then likely be for naught.

I think its just the general lack of highly sought after recruits period. It is frustrating that with all the positives with the program we can't get guys at our doorstep committed but even that would be more tolerable if we had other highly rated guys already on board.