PDA

View Full Version : Next years QB situation

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 03:37 PM
How do we handle Staley and Fitz being in the same class?

Todd4State
01-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Start Nick. Play Staley every now and then. Play Tiano fourth quarter against people like Samford.

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Start Nick. Play Staley every now and then. Play Tiano fourth quarter against people like Samford.

Hope its that simple, I can see someone wanting more reps. They have to have seen this coming and planned for it. I just don't know what the contingencies are.

I seen it dawg
01-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Have them compete and see how the playing time shakes out.

Statefan
01-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Spring game is going to be a lot of fun

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 03:53 PM

I think that's implied, what I'm talking about is the guy who comes in 2nd. Will that guy be willing to play that role knowing they can start elsewhere?

Todd4State
01-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Hope its that simple, I can see someone wanting more reps. They have to have seen this coming and planned for it. I just don't know what the contingencies are.

I definitely oversimplified it. I think that's how it plays out and I could see Staley possibly going to basketball only or transferring out. I love Staley's skill set, but I can't see him starting over Nick at this point.

Martianlander
01-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Staley seems to want to play basketball more than football anyway.

Tripp McNeely
01-01-2016, 04:34 PM
My prediction...one of Staley or Fitz transfers after next season (whoever looks to get the least reps in 2017). So, you're 2017 depth chart would be:

Jr - Staley or Fitz
So - Tiano
Fr - Thompson

...and I'm fine with that scenario

Ifyouonlyknew
01-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Staley seems to want to play basketball more than football anyway.

Not true. He just wants a chance to do what he was promised he could do.

Valyrian Steel
01-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Lots of folks are really high on Tiano.

MarketingBully
01-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Fitz benefited from Staley being hurt last year. I think the spring game could be really interesting but I think Staley wins out. Staley is more talented then Fitz and it will show out as Staley will win the job.

Reason2succeed
01-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Play the winner of the competition. Ask the next guy to backup or switch positions. Nick and Staley are athletic enough to play WR or TE. If they want to transfer allow them to. Wish them well.

DownwardDawg
01-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Fitz benefited from Staley being hurt last year. I think the spring game could be really interesting but I think Staley wins out. Staley is more talented then Fitz and it will show out as Staley will win the job.
I don't see it. Fitz seems to run much better than Staley and we've seen how well they both throw. I think Fitz is the starter and I think the staff already knows.

Todd4State
01-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Lots of folks are really high on Tiano.

Tiano is good- but I wouldn't be shocked if Thompson beats him out down the road after Nick graduates.

Dawgface
01-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Fitz looks like the man but if Staley beats him out in the Spring.......fine. I just want the best one on the field.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-01-2016, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't expect either to be named starter at the end of spring even if one is ahead of the other. Dan will want both focused and preparing through summer going into preseason camp.

bulldawg28
01-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Play the winner of the competition. Ask the next guy to backup or switch positions. Nick and Staley are athletic enough to play WR or TE. If they want to transfer allow them to. Wish them well.

That's what other do I think we should try it with this situation.

Apoplectic
01-01-2016, 06:59 PM

I'm interested to see how mullen handles this especially considering how he has a tendency to play lesser talented players because of seniority.

gravedigger
01-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Switch Staley and Tiano and you are spot on.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-01-2016, 07:06 PM
I still think Staley wins the job. Will be a helluva battle.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-01-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm happy to have talented individuals competing for playing time. Let the best man win. Sure beats the days of no quality QB on the roster.

preachermatt83
01-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Hahaha.. It's Simple, Fitz is going to be the new face of our program. He is HANDS DOWN the starter and will break a lot of records before he's gone. Period. Fitz is ALREADY a leader. There are those on the team who look up to him. Starters I mean. Fitz knows the Playbook as well as DAk already. Watch and see what I say.

bulldawg28
01-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Hahaha.. It's Simple, Fitz is going to be the new face of our program. He is HANDS DOWN the starter and will break a lot of records before he's gone. Period. Fitz is ALREADY a leader. There are those on the team who look up to him. Starters I mean. Fitz knows the Playbook as well as DAk already. Watch and see what I say.

He's not even a starter so how does a starter look up to him?

War Machine Dawg
01-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Because Preacher is full of shit. But what else is new?

War Machine Dawg
01-01-2016, 08:18 PM

And from the horse's mouth, no less. Thanks, Dan!

P.S. Why have you been feeding Preacher so much misinformation?

msstate7
01-01-2016, 08:19 PM

How else would Holloway see fitz?**

War Machine Dawg
01-01-2016, 08:21 PM
How else would Holloway see fitz?**

http://i.imgur.com/XuUIALJ.gif

gravedigger
01-01-2016, 08:25 PM

You are on the right track here. For mullen, the difference in a "4" and "5" star is leadership. Fitz established this the day he graduated early, practiced for the liberty bowl, and showed out.

Staley may very well have a great deal of talent, but for the next few months, he has an uphill battle to overtake fitz as mullen has shown by the snaps.

This will come down to execution of the playbook, not strength, speed or any other empirical measurement.

maroonmania
01-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Well first, why don't we revisit this after Spring practice to see if someone clearly separates themselves as QB1. I mean even a 2 QB system is not entirely out of the question if they both perform at a high enough level. We were fortunate the last couple of years but anytime you have a QB run as much as they do in a Dan Mullen system a significant injury is a distinct possibility so having 2 QBs playing regularly definitely has some advantages. Looks like Fitz has the inside track for now but its a long way to September. And I think its WAY premature to start talking about either of them transferring out anytime soon.

Todd4State
01-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Switch Staley and Tiano and you are spot on.

I'd be surprised if Tiano is ahead of Staley.

Coach34
01-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Fitz is leading to be the starter next year...but he is cocky shit and rubs some people the wrong way.
Staley is very talented- toughness and maturity is still questioned
Tiano aint going to win the job as a R-Fr

My take:

Fitz is still the leader coming out of Spring. And Mullen will work it to where its still a battle. He is not going to name a starter coming out of Spring- no way in Hell he is going to let the loser transfer out. It's gonna be a "battle all the way thru August"

preachermatt83
01-01-2016, 10:02 PM
I'd be surprised if Tiano is ahead of Staley.

Don't be. Staley will be 3rd team QB by middle of the year. He won't handle being second string very well. The kid got kicked off of his HS team as a senior for chewing out his coach on the sideline. That's #Leadership***

preachermatt83
01-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Because Preacher is full of shit. But what else is new?

You shall see my friend. Staley is not even on the same page as Fitz in the area of Leadership, Knowledge of the playbook, and work ethic. The only area he's even close is talent and he's not any more talented as Fitz.

DownwardDawg
01-01-2016, 10:32 PM

I don't think Staley will ever be our starting QB.

Offshore Dawg
01-01-2016, 10:38 PM

"WE" do not do anything !!

preachermatt83
01-01-2016, 10:51 PM
I don't think Staley will ever be our starting QB.

You sir are correct.

Todd4State
01-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Don't be. Staley will be 3rd team QB by middle of the year. He won't handle being second string very well. The kid got kicked off of his HS team as a senior for chewing out his coach on the sideline. That's #Leadership***

Middle of the season- maybe. End of spring? I'd still be surprised.

PendingTransaction
01-01-2016, 11:56 PM
You shall see my friend. Staley is not even on the same page as Fitz in the area of Leadership, Knowledge of the playbook, and work ethic. The only area he's even close is talent and he's not any more talented as Fitz.

I think I understand, preacher man.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 12:01 AM

The better question is how are we going to handle Williams and Tanio

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Being a cheerleader doesn't make you right. It makes you the blind squirrel who stumbles on a nut every so often.

You're full of shit and don't even realize it. People like you are why our fans divide into camps behind players. They get sick and damn tired of hearing how great X is when Y might be just as great. But instead of allowing it to play it, you slurp down the kool-aid of X, making people naturally gravitate to Y and hate X.

I swear, if Staley wins the job, I'm going to give you ever loving hell. And I like Fitz, but seven hells, your bullshit is over the top.

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2016, 12:08 AM

If Mullen were concerned about that incident and Staley's leadership, he'd have revoked his scholarship offer. Considering we signed him anyway, I'm guessing it's a non-issue. Mullen has openly spoken about evaluating leadership when he's recruiting QBs. Considering he's coached Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, and Dak Prescott, I'll take Mullen's opinion over your half-baked cheerleading.

preachermatt83
01-02-2016, 02:33 AM
If Mullen were concerned about that incident and Staley's leadership, he'd have revoked his scholarship offer. Considering we signed him anyway, I'm guessing it's a non-issue. Mullen has openly spoken about evaluating leadership when he's recruiting QBs. Considering he's coached Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, and Dak Prescott, I'll take Mullen's opinion over your half-baked cheerleading.

Fitz will be our QB. Staley will never start a game at MSU barring injuries. You can accept that or you don't have to.

mcain31
01-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Fitz will be our QB. Staley will never start a game at MSU barring injuries. You can accept that or you don't have to.
I'm with WMD on this. From what I saw at practice, Staley is the better QB. Staley has shown his leadership by leading the juice boys to cheer on their teammates. Why do you dislike Staley so much?

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Staley is an NFL caliber pocket guy. Fitz will run CDM's offense in a more balanced way. Tiano is Tim Tebow light.

Staley being hurt, playing basketball, etc... is going to hurt him in the race IMO. I think Fitz is too far ahead now and given Staley's decision to play basketball I think Fitz is likely to stay ahead of him headed into summer. That combined with an extra spring (2 springs considering the injury) is a lot to overcome.

I'd remember this though, if Fitz is ahead of Staley for the first snap next season it doesn't mean he'll be ahead of him by the last. I'd expect them to continue to push each other throughout the fall. As long as it doesn't divide the team into camps, I'm 100% in favor of an ongoing competition.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Just my opinion, but Staley has more talent. Period. And he will fight hard for the job. Fitz has the edge. But there is an injury there too that most fans have no idea about. That might even out the battle. Staley can run too. As good if not better then Fitz. They just used him with kid gloves this off season. By this time next year I can see Staley as the guy who finished the season and started the bowl game

mcain31
01-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Staley was ahead of Fitz last spring until he got injured last spring.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Just my opinion, but Staley has more talent. Period. And he will fight hard for the job. Fitz has the edge. But there is an injury there too that most fans have no idea about. That might even out the battle. Staley can run too. As good if not better then Fitz. They just used him with kid gloves this off season. By this time next year I can see Staley as the guy who finished the season and started the bowl game

Love the QB competition between fans!

As stats go, edge goes to Fitz. Considering he has thrown the ball 3 times as much as Staley and is completing rough 20% more than Staley... I like Fitz.

As far as being able to run "as good if not better" Staley runs a 4.9. Per Espn and Fitz.. 4.87. That's equal. Per Espn...

Coach007
01-02-2016, 11:28 AM
My opinion, Fitz will be the QB. Makes faster decisions based on the time they have spent on the field.

drummerdawg
01-02-2016, 11:36 AM
I actually don't think Staley will want to transfer even if he's the #2 QB. Of course he wants to be the starter but I think being able to play both sports is most important to him and if he left he more than likely wouldn't get that opportunity (at least not on an SEC level).

Intramural All-American
01-02-2016, 11:39 AM

You stating opinion as a fact without having any sort of knowledge to back it up is comical. You're seriously the worst. You may indeed be correct here, but you and no one else has a clue what is going to happen over the next 2 years.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-02-2016, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Coach;478614]Love the QB competition between fans!

As stats go, edge goes to Fitz. Considering he has thrown the ball 3 times as much as Staley and is completing rough 20% more than Staley... I like Fitz.

As far as being able to run "as good if not better" Staley runs a 4.9. Per Espn and Fitz.. 4.87. That's equal. Per Espn...[/QUOTE
Well if ESPN said it......

All I am saying is it's not a slam dunk Fitz will win the job as some have stated in this thread. Seeing both of these kids several times one doesn't stand out. But if you watch them in practice, Staley is more accurate and has a stronger arm

Coach34
01-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Anything can happen. Its going to be a good competition.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=Coach;478614]Love the QB competition between fans!

As far as being able to run "as good if not better" Staley runs a 4.9. Per Espn and Fitz.. 4.87. That's equal. Per Espn...[/QUOTE
Well if ESPN said it......

All I am saying is it's not a slam dunk Fitz will win the job as some have stated in this thread. Seeing both of these kids several times one doesn't stand out. But if you watch them in practice, Staley is more accurate and has a stronger arm

Not sure what "well if espn said it..." means. Espn didn't say anything. Espn just recorded the stats and numbers. I think you've taken my post too personally. I love the qb comletition. Will be fine with either so long as they are getting it done.

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Anything can happen. Its going to be a good competition.

EXACTLY, I think all these folks making definitive statements about who WILL be starting or who is going to want to transfer if they aren't in such and such position on the depth chart are all just full of crap. The only thing we can probably say for sure is that Staley's insistence on playing basketball is not helping his case.

msstate7
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Love the QB competition between fans!

As far as being able to run "as good if not better" Staley runs a 4.9. Per Espn and Fitz.. 4.87. That's equal. Per Espn...

I don't believe fitz runs a 4.87. I think he's faster than that

dawgs
01-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I think that's implied, what I'm talking about is the guy who comes in 2nd. Will that guy be willing to play that role knowing they can start elsewhere?

QBs that lose starting jobs to guys in their class or younger transfer all the time. It's rare you have a Matt cassel type that is good enough to have a NFL career as a spot starter/backup but was willing to spend his whole college career backing up leinart.

Coach34
01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Here's a prediction:

We wont have a starter named coming out of Spring Practice

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 01:31 PM
I swear, if Staley wins the job, I'm going to give you ever loving hell. And I like Fitz, but seven hells, your bullshit is over the top.

And when that doesnt happen you will conveniently forget you said this just like all that crap you spew in the game threads.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Here's a prediction:

Nope. Probably not until game week.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Nope. Probably not until game week.

Would be smart not to. I mean why tell the sec who they are playing against.

Coach007
01-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I don't believe fitz runs a 4.87. I think he's faster than that

I think he's faster then Dak

Dawg61
01-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Not true. He just wants a chance to do what he was promised he could do.

Rick Ray's promises left with him when he got fired. Staley scored 1 point last game. His basketball playing days are dying. When is he going to identify this?

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Rick Ray's promises left with him when he got fired. Staley scored 1 point last game. His basketball playing days are dying. When is he going to identify this?

It was Mullen who promised he could play 2 sports has nothing to do with Ray. He'll soon realize it's tough to do & those DNP will add up just like Bear did. You have to let these kids try it though bc they talk to recruits. He can tell AJ yea he won't mind if you play baseball or Nigel yea it's cool if you run track.

Political Hack
01-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Here's a prediction:

That's the best prediction yet. I feel confident that Fitz will take the first snap of the season, but I have zero confidence that he'll take the last. They'll test Staley and making him work for the spot is something I expect them to do. It'll make him tougher mentally, which is key.

Leroy Jenkins
01-02-2016, 02:00 PM
I dotn think there is any way Dan officially names a starter after spring for two reasons. So the backup dosent think about transferring, and so they push each other through the summer becuase the competition is still ongoing.

Rayburn8
01-02-2016, 02:01 PM
I honestly don't care which one wins, because whoever does will be the better player and put us in a good position to win games. I want Staley to win because he has more potential long term.

To preachermatt. Quit spewing the leadership BS. Outside of watching them on the side lines when have they had the chances to be leaders? Against a shitty C-USA school when MSU was up big? We have no idea what we are getting. Also Staley got kicked off his HS team for calling audibles and them working. His Head Coach was to prideful to admit he was wrong. That is as good a reason as any to get kickoff a team.

Remember Jeremy Johnson looked like Dak in garbage time list year. We all saw how that turned out.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Would be smart not to. I mean why tell the sec who they are playing against.

Well, i have never had a problem with this strategy and if mullen employs it im all for it. But bear something in mind. Mullen has had 3 bowl practice sessions, 2 springs, 2 august sessions and 2 seasons to evaluate fitz. One less bowl practices ,no spring and 2 seasons for staley And yet fitz is clearly #2 after all that based in the order if play and amount of snaps.

1st 2nd and 3rd impressions have been made. Little to nothing this spring and fall can reverse what is already known.

This isnt some even open competition.

It was in the fall if 2014. And renewed in the fall of 2015. But it has been decided. Publically stated ir not.

Dawg61
01-02-2016, 02:30 PM
It was Mullen who promised he could play 2 sports has nothing to do with Ray.

Howland can throw out that promise anytime he wants. He doesn't have to honor some deal made by Ray and Mullen.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Howland can throw out that promise anytime he wants. He doesn't have to honor some deal made by Ray and Mullen.

But he didn't.

HSVDawg
01-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Howland has no reason to throw it out. He's not on scholarship in basketball. All he's costing Howland is the fold-out chair on the bench that he spends 99% of the game sitting in, and Howland gets a 4* caliber walk-on who, at worst, can serve as an extra body in practice and scrimmages. At best, he may turn into a decent backup for when some of our post guys get in foul trouble. It's a pretty sweet deal for Howland to have an athlete of his caliber available and not have to use a scholarship on him.

Dawg61
01-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Howland has no reason to throw it out. He's not on scholarship in basketball. All he's costing Howland is the fold-out chair on the bench that he spends 99% of the game sitting in, and Howland gets a 4* caliber walk-on who, at worst, can serve as an extra body in practice and scrimmages. At best, he may turn into a decent backup for when some of our post guys get in foul trouble. It's a pretty sweet deal for Howland to have an athlete of his caliber available and not have to use a scholarship on him.

Yea it is a pretty sweet deal for Howland but I bring it up because there's been a couple of comments about how Staley is just doing what was promised to him and my point is that promise left when Ray left. Even if it was Mullen that initiated the promise it is still gone when Ray goes. It's Howland's basketball team. Not Mullen's not Ray's and not Staley's.

maroonmania
01-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Well, i have never had a problem with this strategy and if mullen employs it im all for it. But bear something in mind. Mullen has had 3 bowl practice sessions, 2 springs, 2 august sessions and 2 seasons to evaluate fitz. One less bowl practices ,no spring and 2 seasons for staley And yet fitz is clearly #2 after all that based in the order if play and amount of snaps.

1st 2nd and 3rd impressions have been made. Little to nothing this spring and fall can reverse what is already known.

This isnt some even open competition.

It was in the fall if 2014. And renewed in the fall of 2015. But it has been decided. Publically stated ir not.

How is Fitz clearly #2? He appears to be clearly #1 for the moment.

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2016, 03:32 PM
You stating opinion as a fact without having any sort of knowledge to back it up is comical. You're seriously the worst. You may indeed be correct here, but you and no one else has a clue what is going to happen over the next 2 years.

Like I said, he's nothing more than a gotdamn cheerleader. It's really starting to piss me off and make me want to root against Fitz.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 04:26 PM
How is Fitz clearly #2? He appears to be clearly #1 for the moment.

I'm speaking to what he has earned so far. Of course, fitz enters the spring #1.

preachermatt83
01-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Like I said, he's nothing more than a gotdamn cheerleader. It's really starting to piss me off and make me want to root against Fitz.

Then your an idiot.

gravedigger
01-02-2016, 04:40 PM

What pisses you off? That he matter of factly states his opinion or that it's opposite yours?

You are no less a cheerleader for staley.

Look at the evidence. Plenty of evaluation time. Fitzgerald has gotten the first and majority of the snaps. Has produced every bit as well or better. There isn't a frogs hair of difference in their performance EXCEPT the extra spring and bowl session. If staley were so much more talented, why hasn't Mullen chosen him for the # 2 job?

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2016, 01:52 AM
What pisses you off? That he matter of factly states his opinion or that it's opposite yours?

You are no less a cheerleader for staley.

Look at the evidence. Plenty of evaluation time. Fitzgerald has gotten the first and majority of the snaps. Has produced every bit as well or better. There isn't a frogs hair of difference in their performance EXCEPT the extra spring and bowl session. If staley were so much more talented, why hasn't Mullen chosen him for the # 2 job?

No, I'm just willing to let the process play out. There's a difference. I've said multiple times over the last few months that I'm excited to see both of them go at it. I think it's going to be one hell of a battle and may the best QB win. If Fitz wins, excellent. If Staley wins, excellent. Either way, I think we'll be really damn good at QB and I'll cheer my ass off for whoever wins.

And hell, I'll say straight up that I think Fitz has the edge right now due to how many more practices he has under his belt than Staley. Let's not forget Staley wasn't cleared for contact until about 10 days before the season started. I think that is about 90% of the reason why Fitz was the #2 this season. But Staley has always had the higher ceiling of the two. The practice time gap can close in a hurry with Staley's raw talent.

I actually like both guys. But Cheerleader's constant spewing of bullshit has worn thin. Either back it up with facts or stop acting like you know what's going to happen. Just stop writing off Staley is my point. That's the kind of thing that pisses me and others off in a big hurry.

Rayburn8
01-03-2016, 10:50 AM
No, I'm just willing to let the process play out. There's a difference. I've said multiple times over the last few months that I'm excited to see both of them go at it. I think it's going to be one hell of a battle and may the best QB win. If Fitz wins, excellent. If Staley wins, excellent. Either way, I think we'll be really damn good at QB and I'll cheer my ass off for whoever wins.

And hell, I'll say straight up that I think Fitz has the edge right now due to how many more practices he has under his belt than Staley. Let's not forget Staley wasn't cleared for contact until about 10 days before the season started. I think that is about 90% of the reason why Fitz was the #2 this season. But Staley has always had the higher ceiling of the two. The practice time gap can close in a hurry with Staley's raw talent.

I actually like both guys. But Cheerleader's constant spewing of bullshit has worn thin. Either back it up with facts or stop acting like you know what's going to happen. Just stop writing off Staley is my point. That's the kind of thing that pisses me and others off in a big hurry.

^^^^This