PDA

View Full Version : Is there an elite HC that also calls the game?

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 01:55 AM
IMO Dan should give it up. Its too much to manage game situations and the playsheet without one or the other suffering.

It_Could_Happen
01-01-2016, 02:01 AM
Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Miles, Harbaugh, D'antonio, Brian Kelly, David Shaw all do not call plays I'm pretty sure.

Does Urban call plays?

I do know Tom Herman called plays today and I'm ready to call him elite. I know it's only been a year but what he did to turn it around in Houston was incredible.

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 02:09 AM
I would love to have a Sonny Cumbie type playcaller and let Dan focus on HC stuff. I know his ego wold not allow that though.

No Urban doesn't, he has veto power like most head guys.

Really Clark?
01-01-2016, 02:44 AM
Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Miles, Harbaugh, D'antonio, Brian Kelly, David Shaw all do not call plays I'm pretty sure.

Does Urban call plays?

I do know Tom Herman called plays today and I'm ready to call him elite. I know it's only been a year but what he did to turn it around in Houston was incredible.

Jimbo Fisher, Brian Kelly and Shaw all do. So does Gary Patterson. Here is a list compiled earlier this year of all college coaches who call plays:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=More-than-30-FBS-head-coaches-will-call-plays-in-2015

Here are the 10 pro coaches that do:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/161224/kelly-one-of-10-head-coaches-to-call-plays

Obviously not all are elite but there are some very good coaches who do. Some are what you might consider elite.

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Jimbo Fisher, Brian Kelly and Shaw all do. So does Gary Patterson. Here is a list compiled earlier this year of all college coaches who call plays:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=More-than-30-FBS-head-coaches-will-call-plays-in-2015

Here are the 10 pro coaches that do:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/161224/kelly-one-of-10-head-coaches-to-call-plays

Obviously not all are elite but there are some very good coaches who do. Some are what you might consider elite.

Fisher gave it up once they broke the OC in. Shaws playcalling has been heavily criticized this year since the NWern loss, Kelly says they have a "collaboration" whatever that means. Didn't know that about Patterson. I know Cumbie calls the O for them which explains their last 2 years.

Really Clark?
01-01-2016, 03:12 AM
Fisher gave it up once they broke the OC in. Shaws playcalling has been heavily criticized this year since the NWern loss, Kelly says they have a "collaboration" whatever that means. Didn't know that about Patterson. I know Cumbie calls the O for them which explains their last 2 years.

Like I said this was listed earlier in the year. But Jimbo was calling for their title and maybe should consider calling again. As was Malhzan during that title run and since. Several of the guys do the collaboration deal but the head calls the play with more input from his trusted guys but some like Leach and I think Petrino call everything themselves.

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 03:15 AM
Petrino, although a slimeball, can call a game.

Really Clark?
01-01-2016, 03:20 AM
Petrino, although a slimeball, can call a game.

Ugh. Yeah but I can't stand him either.

Big4Dawg
01-01-2016, 03:49 AM
Fuente calls his games as well. He could have hand picked his job. Might change though

Rayburn8
01-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Dan did not completely take over play calling till last year.....you know the year we won 10 games.

Leroy Jenkins
01-01-2016, 04:30 AM
Dan did not completely take over play calling till last year.....you know the year we won 10 games.

Those 10 wins had more to do with Dak and J Rob fitting better than Russell and Perkins. Not to mention Bump was the only WR threat we had prior to 2014.

So you are saying Les called the plays the other years?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Ron-Burgundy-Saying-I-Dont-Believe-You.gif

Dan is better than Les... but still not as good as what a good OC could do if he only had one duty during the game.

Blackout
01-01-2016, 04:58 AM
So Dan called Dak up the middle all the time against Bama and Northern Miss. Got it.

engie
01-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Patterson calls his defenses in hurry up. Actually, there are 3 different playcalls for each defensive play for them. One for the front four, and two more for the back 7 split down the middle of the formation. You'll see them go zone on one side and man on the other, etc pretty regularly to confuse QBs. I think he handles one of the 3 playcalls.

Really Clark?
01-01-2016, 11:45 AM
When he is in the flow of the game AND the players are executing, Dan is still one of the better play callers in the country. One of the best offenses in the history of the SEC last year and a Top 5 offense this year with practically no run game and questionable OL. Two different offenses styles in back to back years. There is not a play caller alive that doesn't get criticized by his on fan base for...whatever they perceive is bad play calling on a consistant basis. Our blinders are just set on us. Malhzan is still a good play caller even though he has had several bad games or even a bad year like this year. Getting the right QB and players to complement each other helps but we had a great run game multiple times before JRob. We had difficulty getting the whole offense in place before Dak. And don't cherry pick one or two bad games a year to show an offense is not good or has problems. You can do that for every team and makes them look bad.