PDA

View Full Version : Does the way we handle MSU trademark hurt us nationally?

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2015, 01:42 PM
Living in Atlanta, I see pretty much all the SEC but us on a consistent basis. I know we don't use the major companies that all the other teams use. You don't see our merchandise outside of our footprint. Even in Atlanta, I see a good bit more UM stuff than ours.

EngineerDawg
12-31-2015, 01:56 PM
We don't have many fans outside of MS that aren't alumni imo.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 02:19 PM
We don't have many fans outside of MS that aren't alumni imo.

Neither does OM, Vandy, A&M, or S Carolina, but there stuff is still on the shelves. Most other SEC schools use the same company (forget who it is), which makes it easier for retailers to order from only 1 company. They're not going to go look up a 2nd company just to get State gear when they just got 10 SEC schools covered through one company. If we were to switch, a lot more retail stores regionally would start picking up our merchandise. It's a change that should've been made years ago and just one more gaff that for whatever reason we refuse to correct.

Leroy Jenkins
12-31-2015, 02:23 PM
I overheard a conversation where I live between two guys about 2 months ago.

Guy 1: "ole miss had a good year last year, weren't they #1 in the polls for a long time last season"?
Guy 2: "Yeah, I think so"

I'm not saying its our fault because two guys are uninformed, but I do have to explain the difference between MSU and om a lot. I would say most people (even casual CFB fans) honestly don't know the difference.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 02:27 PM

Guy 1: "ole miss had a good year last year, weren't they #1 in the polls for a long time last season"?

Marketing can't fix stupid.

turkish
12-31-2015, 02:33 PM

I'm not saying its our fault because two guys are uninformed, but I do have to explain the difference between MSU and om a lot. I would say most people (even casual CFB fans) honestly don't know the difference.
In my experience in LSU country, many SEC-school fans don't know the difference. And I'm not exaggerating.

EngineerDawg
12-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Neither does OM, Vandy, A&M, or S Carolina, but there stuff is still on the shelves. Most other SEC schools use the same company (forget who it is), which makes it easier for retailers to order from only 1 company. They're not going to go look up a 2nd company just to get State gear when they just got 10 SEC schools covered through one company. If we were to switch, a lot more retail stores regionally would start picking up our merchandise. It's a change that should've been made years ago and just one more gaff that for whatever reason we refuse to correct.

Isn't aTm also the same company as us?... Not to mention the fan base is much larger.

You make a good point about the company, but I feel as though it's still a supply a demand issue. If we had the fan base of these other schools the company wouldn't necessarily matter.

Statefan
12-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Ole Miss has a lot of alumni in Atlanta and Texas. Their school make up is generally 50/50 and in some years more than 50% out of state.

I don't know our stats but I would imagine that our freshman classes are like 70-75% in state or higher. I doubt we sell much merchandise outside of MS and that is reflective of our student body make up

I like what we are doing and I think in 10 or 20 years you will see that we absolutely command the State in terms of representation

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Isn't aTm also the same company as us?... Not to mention the fan base is much larger.

You make a good point about the company, but I feel as though it's still a supply a demand issue. If we had the fan base of these other schools the company wouldn't necessarily matter.

I agree that's not completely it, but we're not doing everything we can either. We're making mistakes internally to miss out on expanding our brand and getting apparel on shelves because we won't go with the standard company. For example, stores like Party City (who carry everyone's stuff through corporate bulk orders and then distribute regionally) don't even carry our stuff. It's a HUGE loss in 1) expanding our brand, 2) making money on apparel sales, and 3) making our brand more lucrative to companies that make the products on the shelves. IMO, the sales volume is largely being limited due to limited distribution, not demand.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Ole Miss has a lot of alumni in Atlanta and Texas. Their school make up is generally 50/50 and in some years more than 50% out of state.

I don't know our stats but I would imagine that our freshman classes are like 70-75% in state or higher. I doubt we sell much merchandise outside of MS and that is reflective of our student body make up

I like what we are doing and I think in 10 or 20 years you will see that we absolutely command the State in terms of representation

When a recruit walks into a store and sees OM crap next to UGA, Tennessee, Clemson, Florida, Auburn and Bama it leaves an impression. Our stuff isn't there. We're not doing our part to promote the brand and were potentially losing available revenue streams at the same time.

IMissJack
12-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Living in Atlanta, I see pretty much all the SEC but us on a consistent basis. I know we don't use the major companies that all the other teams use. You don't see our merchandise outside of our footprint. Even in Atlanta, I see a good bit more UM stuff than ours.

We never have.

Statefan
12-31-2015, 04:23 PM
When a recruit walks into a store and sees OM crap next to UGA, Tennessee, Clemson, Florida, Auburn and Bama it leaves an impression. Our stuff isn't there. We're not doing our part to promote the brand and were potentially losing available revenue streams at the same time.

I don't disagree with that at all -- but how much of that is on MSU? Let's say I own a store in ATL. I'm probably not going to waste shelf space and sell a lot of State stuff when there isn't State people around to buy it. Now if it's a place that sells all kinds of collegiant merchandise regardless of the interests of the local population and we are simply not represented then that is an issue

BulldogBear
12-31-2015, 04:27 PM
We never have.
This^^^

And at this point in our history I can't understand why not? Honestly, who's fargin' head needs to roll to right the rudder on this particular ship in our fleet?

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't disagree with that at all -- but how much of that is on MSU? Let's say I own a store in ATL. I'm probably not going to waste shelf space and sell a lot of State stuff when there isn't State people around to buy it. Now if it's a place that sells all kinds of collegiant merchandise regardless of the interests of the local population and we are simply not represented then that is an issue

Yeah, that's the area I think we're missing.

Tbonewannabe
12-31-2015, 06:43 PM

I have been to Dicks and a Collegiate sports store in the mall in Alpharetta. There is no MSU gear but you see some UM. We have had larger enrollment for a long time. I have a hard time believing UM has a larger fan base in Alpharetta.

Mjoelner34
12-31-2015, 06:56 PM
You don't see our merchandise outside of our footprint.

Just saw a maroon and white MSU bag for sale in Cozumel on Monday and had a vendor in Progreso yell that Mississippi State fans got an extra 10% discount as I walked by his place on Tuesday wearing a gray cap with the block M/S on it. Our brand is out there. Our school and Starkville just don't thump our chests about it like they do up north.

Leroy Jenkins
12-31-2015, 07:04 PM
Just saw a maroon and white MSU bag for sale in Cozumel on Monday and had a vendor in Progreso yell that Mississippi State fans got an extra 10% discount as I walked by his place on Tuesday wearing a gray cap with the block M/S on it. Our brand is out there. Our school and Starkville just don't thump our chests about it like they do up north.

Ah, so thats where they send our merch, to Cozumel. Is it in the same shipment with the championship shirts and caps of the Superbowl losers?**

Bothrops
12-31-2015, 07:15 PM

Ha that's funny that a Mexican vendor knew who we were. He's got a leg up on Espn and he doesn't even live in this country.

War Machine Dawg
12-31-2015, 07:31 PM
No question it does. Stuff on shelves matters from a perception basis. Just seeing it is a big deal for the very casual sports follower.