PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen

Coastdog28
12-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Just a few weeks ago, the program's future with Dan at the helm was the cloudiest it has been since he arrived. Rumors of him looking around, rumors of interviews, and rumors of Dan and/or Megan, wanting out of Starkville. Regardless of whether there was an "interview" or not, or whether he wanted/wants out or not, he's still here. My question is, has anything changed? Has he had discussions with Scott, Keenum, the boosters, or whoever and changed his stance or has the situation just basically been pushed aside for the time being? Has anything been resolved?

FISHDAWG
12-31-2015, 12:19 PM
has he been offered his typical 1 yr extension yet ?

DancingRabbit
12-31-2015, 12:22 PM
has he been offered his typical 1 yr extension yet ?

It was late February when it was extended last year.

basedog
12-31-2015, 12:25 PM
The good is he will be coaching Msu next year. I don't have a problem IF he was looking around. Hell JWS was headed to Pitt till their President said no. Saban was headed to Texas, Fisher was headed to Lsu, happens all the time. Why the hate is beyond me. Mullen had the team ready yesterday, as long as we are winning he can keep looking, but that is just me. Not everyone loves Msu like we do. 7 years is a long time know days, Coaches are 1 loss away from being fired. I hope Mullen stays another 7 years but it ain't likely.

NCDawg
12-31-2015, 01:07 PM
I think Mullen is a good coach, too, but it is getting old being dominated by Alabama and Ole Miss. I remember a TV appearance he made about 3 years ago with the Golden Egg, saying that having the Egg in his office was job security. We need to see the Golden Egg returned to his office, and soon, like next year.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Mullen is 4-3 vs UM. That is better than nearly all previous MSU coaches. He has never beaten Alabama. That is probabaly slightly worse than most MSU coaches only because he hasn't managed beat Bama once. Of course Bama has been on one of the greatest runs in THEIR history since Mullen got here. Keep it in perspective.

Jack Lambert
12-31-2015, 01:28 PM
The good is he will be coaching Msu next year. I don't have a problem IF he was looking around. Hell JWS was headed to Pitt till their President said no. Saban was headed to Texas, Fisher was headed to Lsu, happens all the time. Why the hate is beyond me. Mullen had the team ready yesterday, as long as we are winning he can keep looking, but that is just me. Not everyone loves Msu like we do. 7 years is a long time know days, Coaches are 1 loss away from being fired. I hope Mullen stays another 7 years but it ain't likely.

People act like looking for another job is a bad thing when in reality most on this board looks for better jobs all the time or at lest got their eyes open.

Pinto
12-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Mullen is 4-3 vs UM. That is better than nearly all previous MSU coaches. He has never beaten Alabama. That is probabaly slightly worse than most MSU coaches only because he hasn't managed beat Bama once. Of course Bama has been on one of the greatest runs in THEIR history since Mullen got here. Keep it in perspective.
My perspective is if we can't beat those two we will never challenge for a championship. I don't want to dominate those tow but to at least feel like we have a chance to beat them. Right now we may catch UM next year but we are still 21 points behind Bama, and Dan's nutless play calling against them is why. Why save all that creative play calling we saw yesterday for the bowl game. That would have been way better than Dak up the center's ass 20 times a game.

Jack Lambert
12-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Only one coach beat Saban and it was when Saban first got to Bama. Hell LSU hasn' beaten them in five years.

FISHDAWG
12-31-2015, 01:47 PM
Only one coach beat Saban and it was when Saban first got to Bama. Hell LSU hasn' beaten them in five years.

yet Freeze has beaten him twice in 4 years

basedog
12-31-2015, 01:58 PM
yet Freeze has beaten him twice in 4 years

But Freeze can't beat Arkansas.

Johnson85
12-31-2015, 02:01 PM

I think the hate was only there because we showed up completely unprepared for the egg bowl for the second year in a row. Even then, I think it was exacerbated by people being idiots and believing everything pushed out by the two coaching search sites run by brothers with UM ties. If it had come out that he had talked with Miami and was interested in the UGA job (which are the only semi-credible rumors), I'm not sure people would have been that mad. But him being linked to Va Tech, UVA, Maryland, Miami, and UGA to make it sound like he was dying to get out is what pissed people off. It's not really his fault people are dumb enough to believe he was looking to move to a program like Virginia although he could have handled it better. Of course if his agent really did publicly make all that noise just because dan was pissed at the administration, that was a pretty shitastic move and I'd just as soon not renew his contract ever again; but I just have a hard time seeing Mulen being that petty and stupid, much less him being that petty and stupid and his agent not running damage control.

Johnson85
12-31-2015, 02:02 PM

Or Fuente, a team that a pretty mediocre Auburn team was able to handle.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 02:13 PM

And struggles with Vandy a little too.

basedog
12-31-2015, 02:22 PM
I think the hate was only there because we showed up completely unprepared for the egg bowl for the second year in a row. Even then, I think it was exacerbated by people being idiots and believing everything pushed out by the two coaching search sites run by brothers with UM ties. If it had come out that he had talked with Miami and was interested in the UGA job (which are the only semi-credible rumors), I'm not sure people would have been that mad. But him being linked to Va Tech, UVA, Maryland, Miami, and UGA to make it sound like he was dying to get out is what pissed people off. It's not really his fault people are dumb enough to believe he was looking to move to a program like Virginia although he could have handled it better. Of course if his agent really did publicly make all that noise just because dan was pissed at the administration, that was a pretty shitastic move and I'd just as soon not renew his contract ever again; but I just have a hard time seeing Mulen being that petty and stupid, much less him being that petty and stupid and his agent not running damage control.

Good post and I don't disagree. Not sure he was interested in all the places that were mentioned. I think the Georgia job he was most interested in, it's been stated he talked on the phone to Miami. I'm betting he has had a talk about everything with AD and Prez. I also don't think he hates or dislikes Starkville, maybe he realizes he has it made a little longer at Msu.

Bully13
12-31-2015, 02:27 PM
What should concern folks is he may have been considering a lesser program and a pay cut. The only logical reason for this is our recruiting network has not done their job. Coaches can't and don't do it all. Nobody's gonna stay long here if they have to share a state our size with the confederate network. If the confeds are allowed to continue and we remain bidness as usual, our football program will die a slow death. Come February, we'll know if network progress has been made.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 02:59 PM
What should concern folks is he may have been considering a lesser program and a pay cut. The only logical reason for this is our recruiting network has not done their job. Coaches can't and don't do it all. Nobody's gonna stay long here if they have to share a state our size with the confederate network. If the confeds are allowed to continue and we remain bidness as usual, our football program will die a slow death. Come February, we'll know if network progress has been made.

I think it's the opposite. I think it's the blatant manner in which Auburn and OM have done things during CDM's tenure and his tiring of the SEC office in not doing anything about it and daring the NCAA to step on anyone's toes (other than those that voluntarily stomp on their own toes). OM is probably putting three first rounders in the NFL this season and we'll be lucky to back door a couple into the 2nd. He's not playing with a loaded deck like the other SEC schools and it's completely out of his control.

Personally, I think Meyer is happy coaching in the Big Ten and can explain to Mullen all the BS he doesn't have to deal with after leaving the SEC. I can almost guarantee you that Meyer will never coach in the SEC again. I don't think people can forget his influence on Dan either.

Bully13
12-31-2015, 03:04 PM
I think it's the opposite. I think it's the blatant manner in which Auburn and OM have done things during CDM's tenure and his tiring of the SEC office in not doing anything about it and daring the NCAA to step on anyone's toes (other than those that voluntarily stomp on their own toes). OM is probably putting three first rounders in the NFL this season and we'll be lucky to back door a couple into the 2nd. He's not playing with a loaded deck like the other SEC schools and it's completely out of his control.

Personally, I think Meyer is happy coaching in the Big Ten and can explain to Mullen all the BS he doesn't have to deal with after leaving the SEC. I can almost guarantee you that Meyer will never coach in the SEC again. I don't think people can forget his influence on Dan either.

I think we agree more than you realize

PassInterference
12-31-2015, 03:07 PM
And (Freeze) struggles with Vandy a little too.

And Memphis

PassInterference
12-31-2015, 03:08 PM

Dan not playing with as many cards as everybody else is absolutely in his control.

Bully13
12-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Dan not playing with as many cards as everybody else is absolutely in his control.

I don't agree. ..I'm not an insider, just thinking about how all this works and I don't think coaches have that much control of their program's network. .could be wrong but I don't think so

PassInterference
12-31-2015, 03:25 PM
You'd be wrong. Just look to Ole Miss. Pound for pound, they are doing it better than anybody.

sleepy dawg
12-31-2015, 03:29 PM
My perspective is if we can't beat those two we will never challenge for a championship. I don't want to dominate those tow but to at least feel like we have a chance to beat them. Right now we may catch UM next year but we are still 21 points behind Bama, and Dan's nutless play calling against them is why. Why save all that creative play calling we saw yesterday for the bowl game. That would have been way better than Dak up the center's ass 20 times a game.

The only team he hasn't beaten is bama.... If you can't beat the best team in college football, then you're right, you probably aren't going to win the national championship. However, last year it may have very well been possible to win the NC without beating bama had we just beaten OM, which he has done more times than he's lost to them.

Bully13
12-31-2015, 03:36 PM
You'd be wrong. Just look to Ole Miss. Pound for pound, they are doing it better than anybody.

Exactly. But their network is not run by freezus. He knows what's going on but not directly involved. Networking is done by cigar boys. Coach gives network the wish list and they go to work. To what extent the network does to get commits is controlled by the network, not the coach. Dan has been playing with a half deck.

bluelightstar
12-31-2015, 03:37 PM
The only team he hasn't beaten is bama.... If you can't beat the best team in college football, then you're right, you probably aren't going to win the national championship. However, last year it may have very well been possible to win the NC without beating bama had we just beaten OM, which he has done more times than he's lost to them.

Not trying to knock Dan honestly, but this "4-3 against UM" doesn't say much about the context of the present -- which is 3 of 4 losses, all blowouts.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 03:55 PM

He doesn't handle State or SEC compliance issues.

Quaoarsking
12-31-2015, 04:00 PM

Well, those clowns didn't help, but let's not forget it was the owner of this very message board who whipped our fans up into a tizzy by guaranteeing that Mullen was leaving. All over some RandomBoner over Kyle Whittingham of all people...

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 04:13 PM
For me personally I think it's Dan's personnel decisions that hold him back the most. Look at the freshmen that played well yesterday- Green, Bryant had the Sportscenter play of the day, Dear, etc.

That is the MOST frustrating thing to me.

And I'm wondering if we shouldn't have just put Malone at C from the start and let Desper play LG and Clayborn play RG.

There are ways to reward seniority and not compromise production and Dan needs to figure that out.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 04:30 PM
For me personally I think it's Dan's personnel decisions that hold him back the most. Look at the freshmen that played well yesterday- Green, Bryant had the Sportscenter play of the day, Dear, etc.

And I'm wondering if we shouldn't have just put Malone at C from the start and let Desper play LG and Clayborn play RG.

There are ways to reward seniority and not compromise production and Dan needs to figure that out.

Valid point

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Exactly. But their network is not run by freezus. He knows what's going on but not directly involved. Networking is done by cigar boys. Coach gives network the wish list and they go to work. To what extent the network does to get commits is controlled by the network, not the coach. Dan has been playing with a half deck.

Your wrong. I've heard stories about Freeze recently blowing up booster's phones lately in regards to certain players. Hugh is actually heavily involved with his network and actually appears to micromanage it.

It shocked me as well

OurState
12-31-2015, 04:36 PM

I agree with most of this.

What pisses me off is Dan was planning to leave and rubbing our nose in it. Last year he lost the Egg in Oxford and was saying he wouldn't sleep for a year. This year he loses it at home and was very nonchalant. He was winking at us and giving us a watered down version of the obnoxious shit he gives UNM.

Now he is here and stuck with us. He needs to act like he cares.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 04:38 PM

Meh, I think we are a very well coached team. Sure, our coaches make mistakes like everyone else's, but I believe we get a ton out of our talent.

We need better players to raise our ceiling. I think it's much more likely that we find a way to recruit better than it is that we find the super coach that allows us to compete for Atlanta with our current talent level.

We are a 7-9 win program now. Only way we become a 9-11 program is if we get better players.

engie
12-31-2015, 04:47 PM

Not really. It takes EVERYONE being on the same page to play the game.

How do people think OM's network is so much more effective than the rest of the country if the coaches aren't involved in the marching orders? IMO that's why they are more effective -- and also why they are eventually going to get made an example of IMO...

confucius say
12-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Meh, I think we are a very well coached team. Sure, our coaches make mistakes like everyone else's, but I believe we get a ton out of our talent.

We need better players to raise our ceiling. I think it's much more likely that we find a way to recruit better than it is that we find the super coach that allows us to compete for Atlanta with our current talent level.

We are a 7-9 win program now. Only way we become a 9-11 program is if we get better players.

I agree we get a lot out of our talent, I just think we could get more years of it. Dan does play more young guys than he gets credit for, but there are some glaring examples of only getting 1 or 2 years out of really talented players. That said, I'll largely defer to our coaches on playing time bc there are other factors that contribute to playing time about which the masses are ignorant.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 04:54 PM
Your wrong. I've heard stories about Freeze recently blowing up booster's phones lately in regards to certain players. Hugh is actually heavily involved with his network and actually appears to micromanage it.

It shocked me as well

Surely he is not stupid enough to contact boosters directly.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 05:00 PM

Yes he is. Stories that I've heard is that he blows up their phones constantly & is at times upset with them & their efforts. It's pathetic. I heard a few stories that shocked me

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 05:02 PM
I agree we get a lot out of our talent, I just think we could get more years of it. Dan does play more young guys than he gets credit for, but there are some glaring examples of only getting 1 or 2 years out of really talented players. That said, I'll largely defer to our coaches on playing time bc there are other factors that contribute to playing time about which the masses are ignorant.

I think every coach can do better, but, with our current talent level, the margin for error is too small.

Coach34
12-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, those clowns didn't help, but let's not forget it was the owner of this very message board who whipped our fans up into a tizzy by guaranteeing that Mullen was leaving. All over some RandomBoner over Kyle Whittingham of all people...

This is bullshit

I stated in the beginning that Mullen was talking to some teams- but I didnt know who. Turns out that is was Georgia and Maryland- with Miami coming in later. After I posted what I heard- I had others come to me and tell me Mullen wants out. And if you look at his actions- he did. None of this can disputed now. He was absolutely talking to those 3 schools.

I was led to believe he was going to be the coach at Maryland- and it came from multiple people. Not sure what happened- but here he stays. He is not leaving us anytime soon because he cant afford the paycut or that he cant get a blueblood job because he struggles to win big games.

RougeDawg
12-31-2015, 05:18 PM

Meh..... What the f*** are you talking about? You constantly harp on recruiting better player but "miss the forest for the trees" on why we aren't taking that next step in recruiting.

Todd hit the nail on the head. Dan since coming to MSU, has played seniority over talent. Only injuries or completely abysmal play forces him to play the younger more talented guys. Peters, Dear, Bryant, CJones, DLee, Green, and the rest of our more talented guys should have played more from snap one of their freshman seasons. Hell We didn't even really use A potential 1st round talent Jones until over halfway into his freshman season. The defensive guys mentioned above only got to see significant PT and starring roles because other lesser talented upperclassmen were injured and Dan had no choice to play them.

This is a two fold win win for us. Not only would our best players contribute, it would also show other 4-5* guys that they can actually play early and often. Bucky sells this shit to the recruits and backs it up by playing them. We sell them working to get to play and then put GD training wheels on our Ferari's and Porche's. If anyone thinks recruits don't take note of how we baby our top talent while others let them have at it, you are kidding yourselves.

If we are to take the next step on the field and in recruiting (which go hand in hand) we are going to have to start letting the best players play (young top talent) to show high schools guys you can play and then start singing better classes. The cycle will build itself but only if Dan Mullen changes his philosophy and doesn't try the f*cking 2-3 start developmental program on guys who are ready to play.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 05:20 PM
He is not leaving us anytime soon because he cant afford the paycut or that he cant get a blueblood job because he struggles to win big games.

Agree. I believe we are in great shape with Dan going forward, unless one of about 7 programs offer him.

With Georgia passing on Mullen, it's clear to me that about the only way Dan can leave MSU without taking a paycut, would be to win BIG, or get fired.

One of the best moves Stricklin has made since being at MSU was to pay Dan 4+ mil a year. It out priced him for all but a handful of programs in the country & those handful of teams expect to win national titles.

maroonmania
12-31-2015, 05:22 PM

It shocked me as well

I fully believe this. Networks get their direction from the coaching staff, it really doesn't work well any other way. And if Mullen wanted a network or was allowed to have a network (whatever the current case is because I'm not totally sure) then he would absolutely have one. And its certainly true that the actual activity will never be traced back to a coach if its done properly but they certainly are giving the marching orders on who to target and what is needed to acquire that target.

maroonmania
12-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Why not, even if it came to light he was calling these boosters, unless the calls were recorded you couldn't prove he was directing any rule breaking activity.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Meh..... What the f*** are you talking about? You constantly harp on recruiting better player but "miss the forest for the trees" on why we aren't taking that next step in recruiting.

Todd hit the nail on the head. Dan since coming to MSU, has played seniority over talent. Only injuries or completely abysmal play forces him to play the younger more talented guys. Peters, Dear, Bryant, CJones, DLee, Green, and the rest of our more talented guys should have played more from snap one of their freshman seasons. Hell We didn't even really use A potential 1st round talent Jones until over halfway into his freshman season. The defensive guys mentioned above only got to see significant PT and starring roles because other lesser talented upperclassmen were injured and Dan had no choice to play them.

This is a two fold win win for us. Not only would our best players contribute, it would also show other 4-5* guys that they can actually play early and often. Bucky sells this shit to the recruits and backs it up by playing them. We sell them working to get to play and then put GD training wheels on our Ferari's and Porche's. If anyone thinks recruits don't take note of how we baby our top talent while others let them have at it, you are kidding yourselves.

If we are to take the next step on the field and in recruiting (which go hand in hand) we are going to have to start letting the best players play (young top talent) to show high schools guys you can play and then start singing better classes. The cycle will build itself but only if Dan Mullen changes his philosophy and doesn't try the f*cking 2-3 start developmental program on guys who are ready to play.

I think we either played the most or 2nd most freshmen in the SEC this year. I don't believe your claim is any close to true, &, without being at practice everyday, I believe it's extremely arrogant to believe that you know which players should be playing more than Dan does.

Don't get me wrong, our coaches do make mistakes, but so does everyone else's coaches.

I would say on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being excellent coaching & 1 being awful, our coaches are a 4. We are a very well coached team & a program that has a quality culture.

Sure, it's the coaches jobs to recruit & that where the blame gets murky, but, as for the actual football coaching part, I think they do a very good job.

Coach34
12-31-2015, 05:31 PM
and Whittingham was offered up as an option if Dan left. Ya know- a guy thats won 9 or more games 4 of the last 7 years...10 wins 3 times of those 7

OurState
12-31-2015, 05:33 PM
Not trying to knock Dan honestly, but this "4-3 against UM" doesn't say much about the context of the present -- which is 3 of 4 losses, all blowouts.

3-0 vs Nuttsack
1-3 vs Freezus

This is my concern

C222
12-31-2015, 05:39 PM
This is bullshit

I stated in the beginning that Mullen was talking to some teams- but I didnt know who. Turns out that is was Georgia and Maryland- with Miami coming in later. After I posted what I heard- I had others come to me and tell me Mullen wants out. And if you look at his actions- he did. None of this can disputed now. He was absolutely talking to those 3 schools.

I was led to believe he was going to be the coach at Maryland- and it came from multiple people. Not sure what happened- but here he stays. He is not leaving us anytime soon because he cant afford the paycut or that he cant get a blueblood job because he struggles to win big games.

He was going to coach at Maryland until UGA came open.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Yes he is. Stories that I've heard is that he blows up their phones constantly & is at times upset with them & their efforts. It's pathetic. I heard a few stories that shocked me

If true, that means the boosters are talking, bc I highly doubt freeze would broadcast those talks. Somebody bug their phone.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Why not, even if it came to light he was calling these boosters, unless the calls were recorded you couldn't prove he was directing any rule breaking activity.

Bc there is already a ton of smoke around that fire. Why give the ncaa, the entity that is investigating you and has the power to hammer you with purely circumstantial evidence, more ammo. Would be stupid.

ShotgunDawg
If true, that means the boosters are talking, bc I highly doubt freeze would broadcast those talks. Somebody bug their phone.

Of course boosters with an ego talk, but it still doesn't get you any closer to taking them down.

- A booster talking to 3rd parties isn't really substantial evidence

- Bugging their phones without a judge's order is highly illegal, &, since the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, this will never happen.

About the only way they can be caught is if a family member, like Tunsil's, opens up to the NCAA & shows them the dead bodies.

BTW, how did we get in trouble with the Redmond issue? How did anyone ever find out what happened in the first place?

Liverpooldawg
I see UM recruiting is in high gear. Why on earth some of our own have to help is beyond me.

maroonmania
12-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Bc there is already a ton of smoke around that fire. Why give the ncaa, the entity that is investigating you and has the power to hammer you with purely circumstantial evidence, more ammo. Would be stupid.

The NCAA would never even get the phone records anyway much less try to piece together some circumstantial evidence if they did.

engie
12-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Mullen was actively seeking other employment -- but he did no actual confirmed interview outside of one phone conversation with Miami... And he turned down what was it? 6 yrs 33mil? at Maryland? For a first time HC coordinator?

I don't care what you -- finebaum -- or the author of meat market -- said. None of it truly passed the sniff test.

I'd agree that something was definitely going on with Mullen -- but if he was truly lookin to get out -- he would have gotten out.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 06:08 PM
This is bullshit

How can that not be disputed? What actions made you conclude that it is indisputable that he wants out? I Have no idea if he truly wanted out, but there is no proof of that. I would never fault a person for listening to other opportunities, seeing they are not as good, financially or otherwise, and staying put. I've done it myself. He's married to Megan, not msu.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 06:11 PM
Of course boosters with an ego talk, but it still doesn't get you any closer to taking them down.

- A booster talking to 3rd parties isn't really substantial evidence

- Bugging their phones without a judge's order is highly illegal, &, since the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, this will never happen.

About the only way they can be caught is if a family member, like Tunsil's, opens up to the NCAA & shows them the dead bodies.

BTW, how did we get in trouble with the Redmond issue? How did anyone ever find out what happened in the first place?

I hear ya, but the ncaa doesn't need substantial evidence. I'm just saying it would be stupid to broadcast that info, not that it isn't broadcasted.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Mullen was only leaving for a USC or UGA or FSU. He wasn't going to Maryland, Va Tech, or even Miami. He answered a phone call from Miami nothing more. Nothing came from it.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2015, 06:15 PM
Mullen was only leaving for a USC or UGA or FSU. He wasn't going to Maryland, Va Tech, or even Miami. He answered a phone call from Miami nothing more. Nothing came from it.

This.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 06:16 PM
The NCAA would never even get the phone records anyway much less try to piece together some circumstantial evidence if they did.

See renardo. The ncaa asks for records, you assert your legal right to not turn them over without a subpoena, and the ncaa holds that against you. Again, I'm not saying it would land you on probation for certain, but it would be one brick of the house.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 06:18 PM

We're talking about two different things. I don't have a problem with our coaching of players in general. In fact I think we get most of our guys to reach their ceiling. I have a problem with us not playing more talented players in general simply because they are freshmen or sophomores more than we are if they can help us. Like Dear.

Everyone has a ceiling no matter how hard they work or how much experience they have. Talent can overcome that if the player is talented enough.

We had problems at running back and safety- and yet we had four star players at those position groups on the bench most of the year behind three star guys. And if you count Dear as a running back option we basically sat two Army All Americans at positions of weakness. Both of whom played pretty well also when given the opportunity.

confucius say
12-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Mullen was actively seeking other employment -- but he did no actual confirmed interview outside of one phone conversation with Miami... And he turned down what was it? 6 yrs 33mil? at Maryland? For a first time HC coordinator?

I don't care what you -- finebaum -- or the author of meat market -- said. None of it truly passed the sniff test.

I'd agree that something was definitely going on with Mullen -- but if he was truly lookin to get out -- he would have gotten out.

This. If the man was so unhappy and truly wanted out, he could have had several jobs. The fact that he is still here should tell you he was only interested in certain jobs. Nothing wrong with that.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 06:22 PM

It would have been nice to hear this from Dan himself.

And yeah I just tossed up a softball for someone to knock out of the park.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 06:25 PM
My personal opinion on Dan trying to leave- I think he was going to but couldn't find someone to pay him as much as us except for Georgia who got blocked by the SEC.

You have a lot of damage control for a lot of smoke right now.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 06:27 PM
This. If the man was so unhappy and truly wanted out, he could have had several jobs. The fact that he is still here should tell you he was only interested in certain jobs. Nothing wrong with that.

It's because he doesn't want to take a pay cut. If he wants to leave he needs to start winning big games for us first- including the Egg Bowl.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-31-2015, 06:30 PM
It would have been nice to hear this from Dan himself.

And yeah I just tossed up a softball for someone to knock out of the park.

Thing is he did. He said I love my job & I don't talk about other jobs. Same he's said the previous 6yrs. For some reason that same answer wasn't good enough this year.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Thing is he did. He said I love my job & I don't talk about other jobs. Same he's said the previous 6yrs. For some reason that same answer wasn't good enough this year.

It wasn't good enough because he should have said I'm not talking to anyone. They way he said it made it sound like the door was still open.

engie
12-31-2015, 06:52 PM
It's because he doesn't want to take a pay cut. If he wants to leave he needs to start winning big games for us first- including the Egg Bowl.

6 years -- $33 mil offer to Mullen was reported for Maryland. What happened? That's enough to force anyone to listen -- yet they went with the completely unproven coordinator vs the proven head coach? Surely they didn't offer and rescind. So -- he turned down $5.5 per -- but was actively looking to get out?

This place is becoming animal farm. The initial purpose is gone -- and it's becoming what it rallied against. All the OM obsession -- and admiration about how they shape the message -- but when presented with a clear opportunity to say "Dan turned down a top 5 contract to stay at MSU" -- we'd rather argue that he was actively trying to get out in order to call our initial stances "right all along". Shaping the message, indeed...

engie
12-31-2015, 06:55 PM
It wasn't good enough because he should have said I'm not talking to anyone. They way he said it made it sound like the door was still open.

The door is always open. Why would he have answered it differently than he has for the past 7 years?

mparkerfd20
12-31-2015, 07:06 PM
6 years -- $33 mil offer to Mullen was reported for Maryland. What happened? That's enough to force anyone to listen -- yet they went with the completely unproven coordinator vs the proven head coach? Surely they didn't offer and rescind. So -- he turned down $5.5 per -- but was actively looking to get out?

This place is becoming animal farm. The initial purpose is gone -- and it's becoming what it rallied against. All the OM obsession -- and admiration about how they shape the message -- but when presented with a clear opportunity to say "Dan turned down a top 5 contract to stay at MSU" -- we'd rather argue that he was actively trying to get out in order to call our initial stances "right all along". Shaping the message, indeed...

You expect different from egomaniacs? You nailed it tho.

Todd4State
12-31-2015, 07:08 PM

What happened was Dan gambled on getting the Georgia job and it blew up in his face if the rumors are true.

Political Hack
12-31-2015, 07:09 PM
Why do we insist on rehashing this during the peak of cruitin' season?

Threads like this don't need to be started again, unless you're a troll. If you want us to think you're a troll, and want to be banned, please continue bringing it up. Otherwise, celebrate the win, talk about men and women's basketball, and he upcoming baseball season. Throw in a little rebruiting chatter and there's plenty to discuss.