PDA

View Full Version : Auburn to hire LSU DC Kevin Steele

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:07 AM
This according to Chris Low minutes ago.

I think this is pretty funny and an odd situation. IMO, this dooms Malzahn at Auburn. Steele is just a blah DC and do little to fix their defense.

Not sure if Steele was pushed out at LSU or if he jumped ship. I wonder if Les gives Ogre a shot at running the defense or if he tries to make a hire that could prove difficult due to his lame duck status at LSU?

Coach34
12-30-2015, 09:27 AM
If Les Miles wins 10 or 11 and beats Bama next year- he ain't going anywhere. LSU is loaded next year

Valyrian Steel
12-30-2015, 09:39 AM
If Les Miles wins 10 or 11 and beats Bama next year- he ain't going anywhere. LSU is loaded next year

But that QB position...

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:42 AM

I agree they will be loaded next year, but they are going to still need improved QB play to not lose 3 games.

You simply can't be one dimensional in this league & win big, unless you have a have absolutely dominate defense & LSU doesn't have that.

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 09:43 AM

Still doesn't change the fact that Les starts the year as a lame duck coach. A slip up early and they could finish with even a losing record. Talent can still lose a bunch of games, example Auburn Mahlzan's first year. That talent lost a lot of games the year before. Although I don't Miles will lose the players that bad. Steele leaving after one year does raise a big red flag for either scenario.

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 09:43 AM

DP

Bothrops
12-30-2015, 09:57 AM
This according to Chris Low minutes ago.

I think this is pretty funny and an odd situation. IMO, this dooms Malzahn at Auburn. Steele is just a blah DC and do little to fix their defense.

Not sure if Steele was pushed out at LSU or if he jumped ship. I wonder if Les gives Ogre a shot at running the defense or if he tries to make a hire that could prove difficult due to his lame duck status at LSU?

Is this true?

deltadawg99
12-30-2015, 10:03 AM
So will Orgeron be the DC at LSU?

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Is this true?

Chris Low must have very good info or he wouldn't put it out there. Others are confirming the same. Sounds like barring something happening late this is what will take place.

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Supposedly LSU is trying to retain Steele. He was only under a 2 year contract because that's all the AD would give him while all or nearly all of the other coaches had 3 year contracts. He would only need one more year in Alabama to be vested in their state pension.

Coach34
12-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Don't count on it. The players ****ing love Les Miles. Love him. He won't lose that team.

Just because some of the fans have turned- doesn't mean anything. It's likely to make the players work that much harder for him. Hell, just look at recruiting- his status hasn't fazed it one bit

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Don't count on it. The players ****ing love Les Miles. Love him. He won't lose that team.

Just because some of the fans have turned- doesn't mean anything. It's likely to make the players work that much harder for him. Hell, just look at recruiting- his status hasn't fazed it one bit

That's why I said he probably won't lose the team. He is definitely the players coach. But they have had great talent but the wins have not been to their standard. Last year more so than this. But another 8-9 win year with a bad loss or two and I really don't think he stays. And it's not just fans. The administration and boosters would have pulled the trigger this year if Jumbo would have come. They are just a bumbling mess down there right now, including the AD.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Les better win big & real big next year or it could be curtains. Since he lost to Bama in the Championship game he hasn't played in a BCS/New Year 6 Bowl & hasn't finished in the top 10 in any of the last 4yrs. During that same time Bama has won another championship, played in the Sugar Bowl, & been in the 1st 2 College Playoffs. LSU compares their program to Bama & a 5th year of mediocrity (in their eyes) could lead Les out the door.

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 11:59 AM
LSU is now reporting that they believe they will be able to keep Steele. If they do, Auburn's search is becoming a bigger disaster for them.

HancockCountyDog
12-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Unless they lose every Junior, they should be pretty damn good. Arden Key, Jamal Adams, Fournette, Dupre, Dural, Godcheaux are 6 of the best 25players in the SEC coming back. Fournette, Adama, and Key all may be top 10.

Im just glad we have them on the road.

basedog
12-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Les better win big & real big next year or it could be curtains. Since he lost to Bama in the Championship game he hasn't played in a BCS/New Year 6 Bowl & hasn't finished in the top 10 in any of the last 4yrs. During that same time Bama has won another championship, played in the Sugar Bowl, & been in the 1st 2 College Playoffs. LSU compares their program to Bama & a 5th year of mediocrity (in their eyes) could lead Les out the door.

I agree, I remember the Charlie Mac years, fans turned on him mostly because he couldn't beat Bama.

Les ain't stupid, I wonder if next year will be his last anyway. No doubt IF the Fisher deal could have been worked out he would have been long gone.

Coach34
12-30-2015, 01:35 PM
That's why I said he probably won't lose the team. He is definitely the players coach. But they have had great talent but the wins have not been to their standard. Last year more so than this. But another 8-9 win year with a bad loss or two and I really don't think he stays. And it's not just fans. The administration and boosters would have pulled the trigger this year if Jumbo would have come. They are just a bumbling mess down there right now, including the AD.

They were really young in 2014...still young at places in 2015- by the 9th game of the season they were starting 2 freshmen on the OL. QB play has certainly hurt. Their 2016 team will be the best one they have had since 2011 in my opinion. They are loaded. But Les almost has to beat Bama to keep his job. 9-3 (5-3) and he is likely out

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 01:44 PM
They were really young in 2014...still young at places in 2015- by the 9th game of the season they were starting 2 freshmen on the OL. QB play has certainly hurt. Their 2016 team will be the best one they have had since 2011 in my opinion. They are loaded. But Les almost has to beat Bama to keep his job. 9-3 (5-3) and he is likely out

Yeah. They are just in a strange year. Does he actually change OC or just open things up with Cam still there? Add the spread element to their playbook like he is talking? Does that deal sink their offense even more like when Tubbs tried to change at the end of Auburn? Will Les actually commit to the offensive changes when it's game time? They could win 7-11 games next year. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

TUSK
12-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Dear God, please let Les stay at LSU forevah....

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Looks like Auburn was able to pull Steele away.

Bucky Dog
12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Manny to LSU*****