PDA

View Full Version : I'd love to have a QB like Pat Maholmes

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 12:19 AM
I absolutely love Dak Prescott, but I think there is a certain skill set that's out there that can be more effective in our offense than Dak.

For all that Dak does extremely well, he's a little heavy footed & lacks that quick twitch elusiveness that makes him a consistent threat to lengthen plays.

Pat Maholmes, for Texas Tech, has that quick twitch, escapability gene that allows to extend plays & he also has the ability to throw from different angles, likely due to his baseball back ground. (Former middle infielders like Manziel & Maholmes develop this ability.)

Looking at our up & coming QBs, I think Fitz is faster than Dak, but, if I recall, he's a bit of a long strider, so I'm sure if he'll great escapability, although he will be mobile.

However, when watching the video of our new commit Keytaon Thompson, he absolutely has the twitch & quickness to bring this component to our offense.

Todd4State
12-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Absolutely agree about Thompson. Dak has a huge heart though- and we're going to miss him greatly next year. I'd guess there are at least two games we won the year mainly because of Dak's leadership.

My only complaint about Dak is it seemed like he would lock up or try to do too much at times in big games but that was an epidemic throughout the entire team.

But again- yes, LOVE Thompson and can't wait to watch him play and develop. He has a special skill set as a player, but now we get to see if he has the intangibles to be a SEC QB which is an unknown for every QB prospect. But I do like what I am reading from his coaches about his leadership and whatnot. He could be an Elite 11 QB which I believe would be a first for a MSU QB prospect.

Todd4State
12-30-2015, 01:06 AM
And to add the 2017 and 2018 classes have the potential to be special for our program if we land the prospects we have a great shot at getting. Kylin Hill with Keldrick Carper and hopefully Malik Heath at WR and Kam White has the potential to be a special group. Just got to find and land the o-linemen because we look good with most of the defensive prospects.

archdog
12-30-2015, 01:28 AM
So like Cord Sandburg?

Statecoachingblows**
12-30-2015, 07:55 AM
He lost to LSU by 29, we've had that***

Johnson85
12-30-2015, 09:17 AM
I absolutely love Dak Prescott, but I think there is a certain skill set that's out there that can be more effective in our offense than Dak.

For all that Dak does extremely well, he's a little heavy footed & lacks that quick twitch elusiveness that makes him a consistent threat to lengthen plays.

Pat Maholmes, for Texas Tech, has that quick twitch, escapability gene that allows to extend plays & he also has the ability to throw from different angles, likely due to his baseball back ground. (Former middle infielders like Manziel & Maholmes develop this ability.)

Looking at our up & coming QBs, I think Fitz is faster than Dak, but, if I recall, he's a bit of a long strider, so I'm sure if he'll great escapability, although he will be mobile.

However, when watching the video of our new commit Keytaon Thompson, he absolutely has the twitch & quickness to bring this component to our offense.

I'm not sure you're likely to see that with Mullen's offense. All of his QB's have pretty much been longer striders or powerful runners or both. Alex Smith, seemed to just have a knack for running without being super fast or strong, but was still a taller runner (granted I didn't watch any of him other than highlights when he was in college), Dak and Tebow were similar, Cam if you want to credit him was a faster version of Dak and Tebow. Relf was big and a long strider. Cord Sandberg would have been like that too I believe. All three of our young QB's on campus fit that mold too. Big, long strides, not smaller and quicker. He hasn't had the quick release QB's that leach offenses tend to rely on or the super quick QB's that offenses like W. Va. have used. We cut that type of QB loose last year (can't remember his name, but the one that ended up at Fresno St.). At this point, it seems pretty clear that is not what Dan is looking. Is Keytaon Thompson big but still quick? Or is he built different from all our other qbs?

louisvilledawg
12-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Chason Virgil. He was the guy whose scholarship we pulled like 2 weeks before he was to early enroll

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure you're likely to see that with Mullen's offense. All of his QB's have pretty much been longer striders or powerful runners or both. Alex Smith, seemed to just have a knack for running without being super fast or strong, but was still a taller runner (granted I didn't watch any of him other than highlights when he was in college), Dak and Tebow were similar, Cam if you want to credit him was a faster version of Dak and Tebow. Relf was big and a long strider. Cord Sandberg would have been like that too I believe. All three of our young QB's on campus fit that mold too. Big, long strides, not smaller and quicker. He hasn't had the quick release QB's that leach offenses tend to rely on or the super quick QB's that offenses like W. Va. have used. We cut that type of QB loose last year (can't remember his name, but the one that ended up at Fresno St.). At this point, it seems pretty clear that is not what Dan is looking. Is Keytaon Thompson big but still quick? Or is he built different from all our other qbs?

Good post

I agree, it does seem that Mullen prefers the big, long striding QB that can run the power component of his offense, over the quick, smaller, Russell Wilson type that can extend plays.

While I understand why Mullen wants the bigger guy to run the power component of his offense, I also think this could be one reason we struggle to beat more talented teams. The big QBs need the offensive line to be able to block longer, while the smaller quicker guys, can extend plays & cause the defense to break down. Since we don't have the OL to block Bama, LSU, or Ole Miss, our bigger, slower footed QB just becomes a sitting duck in the pocket.

Bothrops
12-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Dan likes big slugger types, not so much the lighter spriting types, that is unless they're 220+ pounds. I do agree, though, if you have killer blockers a guy like that is super deadly along with other quick speed types around you. Keytaon Thompson has that ability. If we can get a bastard OL going, we'll have the best offense we ever had.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Dan likes big slugger types, not so much the lighter spriting types, that is unless they're 220+ pounds. I do agree, though, if you have killer blockers a guy like that is super deadly along with other quick speed types around you. Keytaon Thompson has that ability. If we can get a bastard OL going, we'll have the best offense we ever had.

Funny how everything keeps coming back to the OL. It's like it's an important position unit or something*

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:48 AM
My issue is that, if you look at the duel threat QBs that are having success in college football, they are all quicker guys like Trevone Boykin, Baker Mayfield, Chad Kelly, Pat Maholmes, JT Barrett, & Oregon QBs in past years. Deshaun Watson & Dak are really the only two bigger, duel threat guys having big success & Dak doesn't have huge success against good teams.

I love Dan's QB development & ultimately it's difficult to complain, but just wondering if we are looking for the right type of guy. Thompson fits more of the mold I want though. Jalen Hurts also fit that mold, so I'm not sure if Mullen is recruiting a certain type of guy or if he's just trying to get the best guy he can.

Bothrops
12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
My issue is that, if you look at the duel threat QBs that are having success in college football, they are all quicker guys like Trevone Boykin, Baker Mayfield, Chad Kelly, Pat Maholmes, JT Barrett, & Oregon QBs in past years. Deshaun Watson & Dak are really the only two bigger, duel threat guys having big success & Dak doesn't have huge success against good teams.

I love Dan's QB development & ultimately it's difficult to complain, but just wondering if we are looking for the right type of guy. Thompson fits more of the mold I want though. Jalen Hurts also fit that mold, so I'm not sure if Mullen is recruiting a certain type of guy or if he's just trying to get the best guy he can.

Thompson is going to be great. I think one, maybe two of out current guys has "great" potential. I just want our guys to play hungry. It's a beautiful thing when a team can do that.

bulldawg28
12-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Fitz has that quickness and ability of any Qb on the roster.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Fitz has that quickness and ability of any Qb on the roster.

I agree with this. Fitz is more mobile & has lighter feet than Dak. However, he does appear to be a long strider, which is not usually conducive to being elusive, so it will be interesting to see. Admittingly, I don't feel like I've seen Fitz throw the ball enough to know how elusive he is in the pocket.

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

You are kind of forgetting Urban's QB's. The ones that won a title last year and the types he brings in. JT is a long stride guy as well. On a stocky body

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 10:02 AM
You are kind of forgetting Urban's QB's. The ones that won a title last year and the types he brings in. JT is a long stride guy as well.

JT Barrett is on the list. IMO Cardale Jones isn't that good & is a freak of nature physically that you really can't target in recruiting. There aren't enough Cardale Jones types for that to be the style of QB you target.

I don't agree that JT Barrett is a long stride guy. He moves well in a phone both.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SlipperyFamousAsianpiedstarling.gif

Really Clark?
12-30-2015, 10:06 AM
JT Barrett is on the list. IMO Cardale Jones isn't that good & is a freak of nature physically that you really can't target in recruiting. There aren't enough Cardale Jones types for that to be the style of QB you target.

I don't agree that JT Barrett is a long stride guy. He moves well in a phone both.

I know you had JT but he is not a smaller quick guy. He is closer to Dak. 6'1" 225 stocky. And you forget Braxton Miller as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2015, 10:08 AM
I know you had JT but he is not a smaller quick guy. He is closer to Dak. 6'1" 225 stocky. And you forget Braxton Miller as well.

It's not all about the size of the QB. It's about how quick their feet are and normally quick feet correlate with smaller guys. However, JT is an exception. If you watch the video I posted, JT clearly has quicker feet & is more elusive than Dak.

As for Braxton Miller, he is the epitome of an elusive QB. Just saying, I want more elusiveness at QB, however we can get it.

bulldawg28
12-30-2015, 01:34 PM
I agree with this. Fitz is more mobile & has lighter feet than Dak. However, he does appear to be a long strider, which is not usually conducive to being elusive, so it will be interesting to see. Admittingly, I don't feel like I've seen Fitz throw the ball enough to know how elusive he is in the pocket.

Check out his high school film. He's got it he's even hurdeling people