PDA

View Full Version : Chilbilly Egg Bowl Concept

FlabLoser
08-06-2013, 06:54 AM
He posted on SPS

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4e/a1/89/4ea189385b82b0315ea32bda07d3eb49.jpg

I like it. A lot.

But I think we should not change our helmet. The Egg Bowl is on Thursday night on national TV. We're on a big stage and we should display our brand. The gold helmet isn't our brand.

deltadawg99
08-06-2013, 07:01 AM
After last year's debacle I hope that we stick to our normal home uniforms.

I like the concept, but it makes us look like jackasses if we wear speciality uniforms and get drilled.

My favorite uniforms that were wore last year were against South Alabama. Really liked the gray pants.

The Croom Diaries
08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
I disagree about our "brand". We don't have one - that's why the rest of the country can't tell us apart from OM. Changing our uniforms and helmets may have to become our brand so we can stand out. I'd rather just stick to maroon and white and add in a little grey but it doesn't really matter that much what we are wearing.

I like this concept.

Political Hack
08-06-2013, 07:47 AM
holy swag batman.

do it.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I disagree about our "brand". We don't have one - that's why the rest of the country can't tell us apart from OM. Changing our uniforms and helmets may have to become our brand so we can stand out. I'd rather just stick to maroon and white and add in a little grey but it doesn't really matter that much what we are wearing.

I like this concept.

I agree. We need to set ourselves apart and give recruits something to "ooooooh" and "ahhh" over....I like this idea.

We could always make the white logo a little more visible without losing the effect of the gold helmet. Plus for anybody saying "nobody will know who we are", I say BS....in fact they will know even MORE who we are because the commentators will talk about it all game long.

Drewbowski
08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
I agree with Croom Diaries. M-State is "our brand" now. We need to make the spelling out of MISSISSIPPI "our brand".

The only tradition that Mississippi State has is losing/mediocrity. We will never be the powerhouse that Bama/LSU are. We just need to work as hard as possible to take the "next step" and beat Auburn/Arky 3 out of 4 years.

Pollodawg
08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
I am all for some neat uni changes on occasion, but color me unimpressed with the golden domes. Sorry, Chilly. Your other stuff has been the shit, though.

Dawgface
08-06-2013, 08:47 AM
No thanks.

Spider-Man
08-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised at how good a gold helmet looks with that maroon jersey.

FlabLoser
08-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I agree. We need to set ourselves apart and give recruits something to "ooooooh" and "ahhh" over....I like this idea.

We could always make the white logo a little more visible without losing the effect of the gold helmet. Plus for anybody saying "nobody will know who we are", I say BS....in fact they will know even MORE who we are because the commentators will talk about it all game long.

There's an idea. Bring out the white in the logo. Maybe even a thin gray outline for visibility.

OK, I'm on board.

Bring out the gold! Gold looks damn good with maroon. Just ask FSU.

bocfarm
08-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I like them alot

SnakePlissken
08-06-2013, 09:32 AM
No thanks.Must agree. We simply have no identity with 5 different uniforms every year. Maybe change the uniforms but leave the damn helmets alone. Decide on one and leave it alone. Change the jersey, the pants, the shoes....but leave the helmet alone.

drunkernhelldawg
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I do like the helmet but the idea that we have no brand is ridiculous. What are you buying then, if you say nothings' there?

ckDOG
08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
If the helmets actually looked like the one on the right, I could get behind that. It looks surprisingly really good with the maroon jerseys. You don't even need a logo, just something that actually looks gold to resemble the egg. The helmet on the left looks no bueno. If that's how end ended up, I'd be embarrassed. No offense to chillbilly though - I think his work is outstanding.

That said, I'm not a big gimmick fan. Just go beat your opponent without regard to how you look doing it.

Barking 13
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Don't care for the helmet..looks too much like UCLA and ND

bocfarm
08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
If the helmet finish would look like the one on the right I say absolutely on these

The Croom Diaries
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I do like the helmet but the idea that we have no brand is ridiculous. What are you buying then, if you say nothings' there?

Not a literal brand like Adidas.

How many schools change their helmet logos as much as we do? We change them every 8-10 years. Bama, AUB, UGA, UT, SC, LSU - they don't do that. UF has two they use. OM has just changed the shade of blue. UPig is roughly the same. We change, it's what we do for whatever dumb reason but its where we are now. We are one of a handful of schools who doesn't have a uniform or logo that says "that's Mississippi State" when people across the country see it because we are always changing it. So why not embrace the change and recognize that our thing may be the team in the SEC that wears a bunch of different jerseys and mixes it up.

Barking 13
08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
. So why not embrace the change and recognize that our thing may be the team in the SEC that wears a bunch of different jerseys and mixes it up.

a-la Oregon? Those guys must wear different unis every game

biscuit
08-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Awful.....

Coach34
08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Give me a ****ing white M-S-U on a maroon helmet, a maroon jersey, and white pants please

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS7YHwFSeTQARqWJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTFybj hlaWVoBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMxNzM0YjExZDJkZTRm ZGQxMThhOGIzMDk2ODE0ZWI5NARncG9zAzE0?back=http%3A% 2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp %3Ddicenzo%2Bmiller%26sado%3D1%26ei%3Dutf-8%26fr%3Dsfp-img%26fr2%3Dsg-gac%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D14&w=195&h=262&imgurl=a.espncdn.com%2Fmedia%2Fncf%2F2000%2F1007%2 Fphoto%2Fa_griffith_i.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fa.espncdn.com%2Fncf%2F2000%2F200 01007%2Frecap%2Faarmmq.html&size=14.3KB&name=Justin+Griffith+sprints+into+the+endzone%2C+g iving+Mississippi+State+a+...&p=dicenzo+miller&oid=1734b11d2de4fdd118a8b3096814eb94&fr2=sg-gac&fr=sfp-img&tt=Justin+Griffith+sprints+into+the+endzone%2C+giv ing+Mississippi+State+a+...&b=0&ni=96&no=14&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11o4hljoe&sigb=13lg6jqeo&sigi=11osvcari&.crumb=MMpvnyY54Df&fr=sfp-img

Coach34
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
best uni in my lifetime

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoQw4IAFS3gkASIuJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTFxOG VyODExBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANlN2FkNjYzNDQ4YTdj MDI4Nzk3MmUzMWMxNjkxOTdlMgRncG9zAzE-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Djustin%2Bgriffith%2Bmississippi%2 Bstate%26sado%3D1%26n%3D30%26ei%3Dutf-8%26fr%3Dsfp-img%26fr2%3Dsg-gac%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=500&h=500&imgurl=halloffamememorabilia.com%2Fimages%2Fproduc ts%2Fp-264728-justin-griffith-autographed-hand-signed-mississippi-state-bulldogs-8x10-photo-pba-2929.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhalloffamememorabilia.com%2Fp-264728-justin-griffith-autographed-hand-signed-mississippi-state-bulldogs-8x10-photo-pba-2929.aspx&size=122.9KB&name=%3Cb%3EJustin+Griffith+%3C%2Fb%3EAutographed% 2FHand+Signed+%3Cb%3EMississippi+State+%3C%2Fb%3EB ulldogs+...&p=justin+griffith+mississippi+state&oid=e7ad663448a7c0287972e31c169197e2&fr2=sg-gac&fr=sfp-img&tt=%3Cb%3EJustin+Griffith+%3C%2Fb%3EAutographed%2F Hand+Signed+%3Cb%3EMississippi+State+%3C%2Fb%3EBul ldogs+...&b=0&ni=128&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=145s6siiq&sigb=14cunkj4l&sigi=14dv9950f&.crumb=MMpvnyY54Df&fr=sfp-img

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 11:17 AM
My question is....Why can't "new", "fresh", "cool uniforms", etc, be our "Brand" that everyone keeps talking about?

It's nothing personal, but I hate when our fans say "I'm not into the gimmick thing, why can't we just stick to a uniform", because that is very narrow minded to me. We are never going to have the tradition factor that a LSU, Notre Dame, or Alabama have. And if we aren't going to have the gimmicky offenses, how the hell do you guys think we are going to sell our program to recruits and grow our fan base? We have got to have something different, fun, and fresh that sets us apart. There is currently nobody like Oregon in the SEC. Why can't we be that team that tries new things and people want to see what MsU will come out wearing next? We don't have to have a zillion combos like Oregon, but I see only positives coming from things like our snow bowl uni's and egg bowl uni's, and uni's like this gold helmet idea.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be against something that players and recruits love, and some thing that gets our university attention, just because "I want to see us wear the same thing every week". No offense, but I would rather have Fred Ross, Chris Jones, and Ashton Shumpert love our uniforms than any of us that sit in the stands.

And that whole "nobody will know who we are when they turn on the TV" shit is just garbage and a lame excuse. Any sports fan worth his salt knows who he is watching, plus their is a score box in the corner of every game on TV now. In fact, it would give us more pub, bc they would talk about our uni's more, like they do Oregon's (just on a smaller scale).

Do I love every combo? No. But I can see the bigger picture, so the more uniforms the better IMO.

FlabLoser
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM

Our brand is what comes to mind when you think of Mississippi State. When most folks outside of Mississippi can't think of anything MSU related when they think of MSU, our brand is weak.

It_Could_Happen
08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
I like the gold helmets. I think it could be good for a one game a year type thing

Raytoraid83
08-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Looks like this year Adidas is going with the alt jersey shiny gold. Look at baylors new alt jersey, Tulsa, and ND(obvisiouly there's stays with tradition a little more than the others). I like it when you're a program like miss state you have to do out of the box things to get top high school players in the countries attention, even if it is a shinny gold helmet or a "can of swag".

bulldawg28
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I like the gold helmets. I think it could be good for a one game a year type thing

This. We all know "The MSU Brand." Wearing something new for one game that recruits love only helps us more.

drunkernhelldawg
08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
My question is....Why can't "new", "fresh", "cool uniforms", etc, be our "Brand" that everyone keeps talking about?

It's nothing personal, but I hate when our fans say "I'm not into the gimmick thing, why can't we just stick to a uniform", because that is very narrow minded to me. We are never going to have the tradition factor that a LSU, Notre Dame, or Alabama have. And if we aren't going to have the gimmicky offenses, how the hell do you guys think we are going to sell our program to recruits and grow our fan base? We have got to have something different, fun, and fresh that sets us apart. There is currently nobody like Oregon in the SEC. Why can't we be that team that tries new things and people want to see what MsU will come out wearing next? We don't have to have a zillion combos like Oregon, but I see only positives coming from things like our snow bowl uni's and egg bowl uni's, and uni's like this gold helmet idea.

I guess I just don't understand why anyone would be against something that players and recruits love, and some thing that gets our university attention, just because "I want to see us wear the same thing every week". No offense, but I would rather have Fred Ross, Chris Jones, and Ashton Shumpert love our uniforms than any of us that sit in the stands.

And that whole "nobody will know who we are when they turn on the TV" shit is just garbage and a lame excuse. Any sports fan worth his salt knows who he is watching, plus their is a score box in the corner of every game on TV now. In fact, it would give us more pub, bc they would talk about our uni's more, like they do Oregon's (just on a smaller scale).

Do I love every combo? No. But I can see the bigger picture, so the more uniforms the better IMO.

The big picture? How is a costume party any more the big picture than C34's idea of a Mississippi State uniform? Why are people so sure that recruits like this uniform stuff? Like Saban said, they like the free stuff they get with each new uni, but will a top recruit really choose us because one of our eight uni designs one season attracted him? I don't buy it.

The disrespect of our brand and our tradition kind of pisses me off. Vince Lombardi is not our coach. We are Mississippi State University, most of whose fans have a personal connection with MSU. I don't envy Bama or LSU. I'm buying mine in Starkville.

Bullmutt
08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Gotta say I like it for that one game.

IMHO, one of the things that may make it harder for us to set ourselves apart visually is our invariable and unimaginative use of white. Yeah, I know- it's one of our traditional colors. But, think about it- it seems that 50% of the teams in the country are something and white. I liked what TCD mentioned about mixing in some gray. Better yet, perhaps- metallic silver. I'm sure some will remember the silver pants that GA wore back in the day. Silver pants or helmets with maroon logo/striping would be visually impactful w/o being as over the top as gold. On tv, silver has much the same appearance as white, except in a closeup shot, and true white could still be in the mix as well. As far as I know, there may only be 1-2 teams in the country with uni's sporting these colors (WSU?).

bocfarm
08-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I can tell you this much the players LOOOOOOVE this type of shit...players and recruits alike...they love it.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
The big picture? How is a costume party any more the big picture than C34's idea of a Mississippi State uniform? Why are people so sure that recruits like this uniform stuff? Like Saban said, they like the free stuff they get with each new uni, but will a top recruit really choose us because one of our eight uni designs one season attracted him? I don't buy it.

The disrespect of our brand and our tradition kind of pisses me off. Vince Lombardi is not our coach. We are Mississippi State University, most of whose fans have a personal connection with MSU. I don't envy Bama or LSU. I'm buying mine in Starkville.

Costume party? Really? We're talking 1 game per year. 1.

As for "big picture"...Yes, I am talking big picture. You act like we have a damn football tradition and history that people outside of our fan base know about...we don't.

And yes, recruits love this shit. They love fresh, and anything that draws attention to them and their team. And to mention Saban in the argument shows that you are missing the point. Saban recruits well because he wins Championships and bc he's Saban.....We dont have either of those factors working for us.

You are wanting uniforms that are similar to what YOU are used too. What you aren't thinking about is the recruiting aspect and that it isn't all about us that are already fans, and will always be fans. It's about drawing in new fans, new recruits, and getting attention from outside of our fan base.

And as for your last paragraph....it sounds selfish and like you would rather watch us suck in maroon and white than to succeed while wearing a gold helmet once a year. It ain't about you, or me, or any other lifelong fans. Why? Because we will be here regardless. But if we want our program to grow and for us to get National recognition....which by the way, leads to better recruits....we have to think outside the box. Why? Because inside the box there are teams like Bama, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, FSU, etc, etc....and we aren't winning recruiting battles against those Championship caliber teams unless we set ourselves apart.

Think about it.....If you are a 4 star recruit from Mississippi and you see a smash mouth National Champ football team like Bama with Saban, a gimmick team like Auburn and Malzahn, a party school like Ole Miss, and Mississippi State which has great people......which one are you choosing on the surface? In other words, we have to at least get invited to the dance, and we aren't doing that unless we get creative. Something has to at least draw enough attention to get us a visit so our coaches can win these guys and their families over. So attention is good....even if it isn't what you saw your team wearing in the 70's.

ETA: And Drunkernhell, believe me, I see where you are coming from. And I don't always love the uniform ideas (for instance I hate our current uni's). But I do understand that if I want our program to get better....it ain't about what I like in a uniform. It's about my support both physically by attending games, and financially. So that when we are kicking ass in a gold helmet, all I see is us kicking ass

bocfarm
08-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Costume party? Really? We're talking 1 game per year. 1.

As for "big picture"...Yes, I am talking big picture. You act like we have a damn football tradition and history that people outside of our fan base know about...we don't.

And yes, recruits love this shit. They love fresh, and anything that draws attention to them and their team. And to mention Saban in the argument shows that you are missing the point. Saban recruits well because he wins Championships and bc he's Saban.....We dont have either of those factors working for us.

You are wanting uniforms that are similar to what YOU are used too. What you aren't thinking about is the recruiting aspect and that it isn't all about us that are already fans, and will always be fans. It's about drawing in new fans, new recruits, and getting attention from outside of our fan base.

And as for your last paragraph....it sounds selfish and like you would rather watch us suck in maroon and white than to succeed while wearing a gold helmet once a year. It ain't about you, or me, or any other lifelong fans. Why? Because we will be here regardless. But if we want our program to grow and for us to get National recognition....which by the way, leads to better recruits....we have to think outside the box. Why? Because inside the box there are teams like Bama, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, FSU, etc, etc....and we aren't winning recruiting battles against those Championship caliber teams unless we set ourselves apart.

Think about it.....If you are a 4 star recruit from Mississippi and you see a smash mouth National Champ football team like Bama with Saban, a gimmick team like Auburn and Malzahn, a party school like Ole Miss, and Mississippi State which has great people......which one are you choosing on the surface? In other words, we have to at least get invited to the dance, and we aren't doing that unless we get creative. Something has to at least draw enough attention to get us a visit so our coaches can win these guys and their families over. So attention is good....even if it isn't what you saw your team wearing in the 70's.

Good post!

hacker
08-06-2013, 05:10 PM
After last year's debacle I hope that we stick to our normal home uniforms.

I like the concept, but it makes us look like jackasses if we wear speciality uniforms and get drilled.

why does it ****ing matter if we lose while wearing a different jersey? that's inane.

CadaverDawg
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
why does it ****ing matter if we lose while wearing a different jersey? that's inane.

Exactly. Never understood that mindset

Todd4State
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Exactly. Never understood that mindset

It's called superstition. And insecurity. "Oh, my Ole Miss co-workers will make fun of me because we lost wearing a special black jersey." See the #webelieve campaign.

Todd4State
08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Personally, I like the gold helmets for the Egg Bowl. It's a big game for us and it shows that we make it a priority.

I had a BIG problem with the Snow Bowl uniforms. We celebrated an Independence Bowl win. The whole thing was completely stupid. What are we going to do next? Celebrate the 2007 Liberty Bowl by having the band spell out Dan before the game and wearing cheap ass looking uniforms with a white helmet? To me, the snow bowl doesn't even rank in my top 10 as far as big MSU wins.

But the Egg Bowl- I don't have a problem with that at all.

If we're going to have special uniforms for a game, it needs to be to commemorate something like 1980 Alabama.

Also, I don't really understand MSU's insistence on shoving M-State down everyone's throat. Is MSJ really so bad? Or some variation of that logo which Nike doesn't own?

Behrdawg
08-06-2013, 08:51 PM

I like this concept.

I agree. We have no brand on the national level. Ive used them as an example before- but look at Oregon. Whats the first thing most people think of...uniforms.