PDA

View Full Version : Substitutions when needed on OL

Goldendawg
12-28-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm by no means a coach, just a 50+ year MSU fan and ticket holder. Just want info/opinions. I hope that Clayborn is OK and his practice injury was over exaggerated. I read an article on 24/7 weeks ago that Coach Hervesy likes for our OL players to be able to play every position on the line. When Warren had sudden health problems for the Egg Bowl it was fruit basket turnover. I think the sudden changes had a negative effect on our already questionable line play. Claybourn gets hurt in Belk Bowl warmups and I read Malone goes to center, Desper goes to LG and Calhoun goes to RG. Is this getting the best players on the field when someone goes down or we don't have a "two deep" at center or other positions to move into the position where the injury takes place?

HoopsDawg
12-28-2015, 08:23 PM
We've only got 7 linemen that can play without a major dropoff.

maroonmania
12-28-2015, 09:36 PM
We've only got 7 linemen that can play without a major dropoff.

Man, I would certainly hate to see a major dropoff from the line play we have now. That would be painful to watch.

thf24
12-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I'm no football coach, but I can't see how that philosophy of Hev's of everyone learning every position is anything but a net negative. Each one of the five positions is different, and it just doesn't make any sense to me to spend only 20% of your formative years (33% if you call the two guard and two tackle positions similar enough) learning the position that you're going to play 80-100% of your eventual time on the field. Sure it's a decent theoretical buffer in case of injuries, but you're going to have dropoff when you start dropping bodies and shuffling regardless.

West Houston Dog
12-29-2015, 09:21 AM
Sure wish if qb protection is an issue, we would bring in Schumpert as a blocking fullback. To utilize in pass pro and to block for the tb....but guess that is asking too much from our coaching staff......

Really Clark?
12-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Coaches don't do it mainly for injuries. OL coaches that do this like for the players to learn the scheme from inside guard positions out to the tackle position. To know the responsibilities of the entire line to play as one unit. To determine what is their strongest position. To see who can play away from their dominate side (really important to know if they can pick up pulling away from their right handed or left handed dominate side) and handle opposite footwork.

NCDawg
12-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Man, I would certainly hate to see a major dropoff from the line play we have now. That would be painful to watch.

Very true, although it's pretty painful to watch as is.