2. Shane Power
3. L-Rob
4. Brandon Vincent
5. Detrick White tied with Timmy Bower

Coach34
12-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Chucky Evans
Marcus Grant
Darryl Wilson- he could set people up for screens and work to get shots off like a pro. Helluva shooter to be 6'1 or so- he had to do that to get off shots

I'd add those in somewhere.

Johnson85
12-28-2015, 05:06 PM
who are your top 5 Bulldogs with basketball IQ
1. Gary Hooker
2. Shane Power
3. L-Rob
4. Brandon Vincent
5. Detrick White tied with Timmy Bower

Got to put Randy way up there. He maximized his talent as much or more than anybody else I can remember. His decision making didn't look as good as it was because he was a role player forced to play a leading role.

Varnado seemed pretty smart. Not sure about offense, but he had defense figured out.

I'd put Timmy Bower high.

I'd put Ontario Harper pretty high.

Z was pretty good.

I'd put Gary Edmonson at the bottom of my list.

chef dixon
12-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Quinn will end up on this list

BeardoMSU
12-28-2015, 05:32 PM
1. Jamont Gordon
2. Kodi Augustus
3. Big Suge
4. Deville Smith
5. Sleepy

BeardoMSU
12-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Varnado seemed pretty smart. Not sure about offense, but he had defense figured out.

I consider "instinct" a big part of basketball IQ, especially regarding C's, and Jarvis had that in droves. He was also an extremely nice and polite guy. Easily one of my favorite MSU players of all time.

I'm actually surprised we don't have some type of banner or sign recognizing his NCAA record in the Hump; I believe he is the only MSU player to hold an NCAA record of significance (but I could be wrong).

It's a shame he didn't catch on in the league. If he was about 40lbs heavier, and about 2 inches taller, he would be a big role player for a number of teams needing a good rebounder and shot blocker.

ScottH
12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Terry Lewis is up there

Blackout
12-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Antonio Jackson - would have been better with a supporting cast. Him Marckell and Tang hung with some pretty good teams by themselves.

starkvegasdawg
12-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Winsome Frazier at least had defensive IQ. He could flat shut people down.

CadaverDawg
12-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Gary Ervin
Dietrich Slater
Kodi Augustus
Ravern Johnson

Oh....**

BeardoMSU
12-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Gary Ervin
Dietrich Slater
Kodi Augustus
Ravern Johnson

Oh....**

Shit...I forgot about Ravern. It takes a special kind of player to lead the fast break, with 4 on 1, but pull up for a deep 3.....ending with a definitive *clank" off the rim.

grinnindawg
12-28-2015, 07:07 PM
1. Jeff Malone
2. Darryl Wilson
3. Dontae Jones
4. Lawrence Roberts
5. Doug Hartsfield

Political Hack
12-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Bullard
Zimmerman
Bowers
Power
Hyche

sleepy dawg
12-28-2015, 07:41 PM
ben hansbrough

Johnson85
12-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Shit...I forgot about Ravern. It takes a special kind of player to lead the fast break, with 4 on 1, but pull up for a deep 3.....ending with a definitive *clank" off the rim.

Ravern actually had a decent BB IQ. He knew how to use screens and use open space. His problem was not giving a shit. he would practice the hell out of his shot but not put int he work in the weight room or on dribbling or on defense.

BeardoMSU
12-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Ravern actually had a decent BB IQ. He knew how to use screens and use open space. His problem was not giving a shit. he would practice the hell out of his shot but not put int he work in the weight room or on dribbling or on defense.

This is true. He's another example of a player with unbelievable potential, but ****ed it up by not giving 2 shits. His stroke was pure, and at 6'7", would have been a perfect fit at the 2 spot in the NBA had he worked on his handle and strength.

Jamont is another example of a player of wasted talent. I'd love to see him play under Howland....absolutely love it. Granted he's made a nice living for himself overseas, but with the right direction and development, he could have been a super star.

chef dixon
12-28-2015, 08:52 PM

Every time Ravern shot I actually assumed it was going in.

Political Hack
12-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Chucky Evans
Marcus Grant
Darryl Wilson- he could set people up for screens and work to get shots off like a pro. Helluva shooter to be 6'1 or so- he had to do that to get off shots

I'd add those in somewhere.

Wilson was a great shooter, but Bullard was the floor general.

BeardoMSU
12-28-2015, 09:02 PM

I agree, but on his spot up shots, or the screen game. The example I gave happened numerous times, and it was infuriating.

Blackout
12-28-2015, 09:26 PM

I was this way with Shane Power in our 26-4 season.

Coach34
12-28-2015, 09:39 PM

im not disputing that. But the way 00 ran the floor, defended, and used screens to get shots vs bigger players just showed his basketball IQ

Taog Redloh
12-28-2015, 09:46 PM

Wuttt?? If T.J. Honore was our PG in 1996 we'd be national champions. Bullard was a small issue to it, would have been best as a sub.

tcdog70
12-28-2015, 09:56 PM
Terry Lewis is up there

He certainly set up Jeff Malone

tcdog70
12-28-2015, 10:01 PM

Another player who made it or almost made very shot was Tony Watts. He went 11 for 11 at Bama one night to kick the tide in the nuts.

tcdog70
12-28-2015, 10:06 PM
LRob had the best rebounding instinct of any Dog in History. He just knew how to offensive rebound. Plus if He missed he could get it and put it back

JoseBrown
12-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Gotta give Cameron Burns a little love. Smoke knew how to snatch that ball, knew where the rim was and swung a nasty elbow... Sat by him and Tony Watts in a Microbiology class. I really liked him, but damn, Microbiology? Cam...

Kalpatrick Wells.. Always liked hearing that name..

Terry Lewis for sure.

Greg Carter.

starkvegasdawg
12-28-2015, 10:29 PM

Have nothing for Bullard after our final 4. Hope it was worth it.

Taog Redloh
12-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Have nothing for Bullard after our final 4. Hope it was worth it.

+1. F*ck that guy, to go along with the fact that he wasn't that great. As bad as we needed a true point guard, we STILL almost won the damn national title and maybe could have if he hadn't thrown the game.

Damn I hate thinking back about that. I 75% gave up on MSU basketball after the BS he pulled. I completely gave up on it when we got bounced in 2004 by a team we beat by 30 earlier in the season.

Coach34
12-28-2015, 11:09 PM
I have met Marcus Bullard. That man didnt throw any game. He just had an off night on a big stage

Liverpooldawg
12-28-2015, 11:37 PM
To me instinct an IQ aren't the same. As for as IQ goes:
1: Doug Hartsfield
2: Whit Hughes
3: Eric Dampier
4: Brandon Vincent
5: Greg Carter

dawgoneyall
12-29-2015, 12:25 AM
I know, I know.... but any list without Bailey Howell is worthless.

War Machine Dawg
12-29-2015, 12:52 AM

That you believe this is hilarious. Wilson was THE leader of those teams. It's not even disputed. Wilson was the only guy who could call out Bullard, because everyone else was afraid of Bullard.

War Machine Dawg
12-29-2015, 12:55 AM
I have met Marcus Bullard. That man didnt throw any game. He just had an off night on a big stage

I don't know if he threw it or not, but the fact of the matter is Bullard is the biggest thug in MSU hoops history. Wouldn't be shocked if he did throw it or if he didn't throw it.

Liverpooldawg
12-29-2015, 01:20 AM
To me instinct an IQ aren't the same. As for as IQ goes:
1: Doug Hartsfield
2: Whit Hughes
3: Eric Dampier
4: Brandon Vincentt
5: Greg Carter

I'll qualify that by saying I only included guys I actually saw play. I suspect as was pointed out above any list on this subject should include Baily Howell. My first MSU games were in 1981, I remember listening to Jack call Gary Hooker and that bunch but I never actually saw them play.

Liverpooldawg
12-29-2015, 01:26 AM
Just for fun, top 5 I have seen play:

1: Jeff Malone
2: Eric Dampier
3: Darryl Wilson
4: Lawrence Roberts
5: Donte Jones

AROB44
12-29-2015, 02:54 AM
LRob had the best rebounding instinct of any Dog in History. He just knew how to offensive rebound. Plus if He missed he could get it and put it back

Wrong. You forgot about Bailey Howell. Plus, as far as BB IQ, seems like everyone either doesn't know about or forgot about the teams in the late 50s and 60s.

Johnson85
12-29-2015, 07:43 AM
I don't know if he threw it or not, but the fact of the matter is Bullard is the biggest thug in MSU hoops history. Wouldn't be shocked if he did throw it or if he didn't throw it.

I don't know Bullard either but someone that played with him at state swore up and down that he really did just choke because he cared too much. Guy wasn't his buddy or anything, but was adamant about it. Only reason I don't believe him is that it's hard to reconcile caring about winning that much with throwing away your career doing thug stuff.

LC Dawg
12-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Gotta give Cameron Burns a little love. Smoke knew how to snatch that ball, knew where the rim was and swung a nasty elbow... Sat by him and Tony Watts in a Microbiology class. I really liked him, but damn, Microbiology? Cam...

Kalpatrick Wells.. Always liked hearing that name..

Terry Lewis for sure.

Greg Carter.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned Burns. He was often matched up against guys bigger than him but he always found a way to get points and rebounds. I loved watching him play.

tcdog70
12-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Wrong. You forgot about Bailey Howell. Plus, as far as BB IQ, seems like everyone either doesn't know about or forgot about the teams in the late 50s and 60s.

Sure Bailey is the Gold Standard for Dog basketball. But if you mention Him you must also throw in Jim Ashmore probably in the top3 guards in MSU history.