PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Power Numbers

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2015, 12:04 AM
This absolutely has to be the year that we show more power throughout the lineup. We are a much more physical team than any that Cohen has had since he got here. The stats from the last two falls bear that out

Fall 2014
AB- 877 2B- 27 3B- 5 HR- 6

Fall 2015
AB- 936 2B- 54 3B- 10 HR- 14

Twice as many extra base hits across the board over a similar sample size. You won't hear me make anymore excuses for Cohen or our team offensively- we've had time to adjust the roster and transition to the new ball now. We must be out of the SEC cellar offensively.

Todd4State
12-28-2015, 12:07 AM
I think the new bats will help also- plus more power hitters. And bringing in the RF fence- which I know they were looking at doing.

The ingredients are definitely there.

coastratdog
12-28-2015, 07:45 AM
This absolutely has to be the year that we show more power throughout the lineup. We are a much more physical team than any that Cohen has had since he got here. The stats from the last two falls bear that out

Fall 2014
AB- 877 2B- 27 3B- 5 HR- 6

Fall 2015
AB- 936 2B- 54 3B- 10 HR- 14

Twice as many extra base hits across the board over a similar sample size. You won't hear me make anymore excuses for Cohen or our team offensively- we've had time to adjust the roster and transition to the new ball now. We must be out of the SEC cellar offensively.

I hope ur right because since all we do is scrimmage against each other one could come to the conclusion our pitching sucks worse than last year. Just saying.

Political Hack
12-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Is 14 HRs a lot during fall ball?

Dawgfan61
12-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Is 14 HRs a lot during fall ball? Its 8 more than 6.* Thats more than a 100% increase in a year.

Jacksondevildog
12-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Also, a lot of our scrimmages aren't 9 innings and we don't play 56 games in the fall. We hit 22 bombs last year. I expect us to hit 35-40 this year. I'm more concerned with extra base hits. I'd rather have a double with two on than a solo home run.

Bob Sacamano
12-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Our pitching sucks*

engie
12-28-2015, 11:56 AM
The total ABs in fall are essentially half a season(at least -- half of the season last year). But a bunch of those ABs are taken by guys that won't be seeing much/any time in the season either, the ball doesn't fly as well in cold weather, etc.

Essentially, last year we had a HR/146AB in fall and a HR/83AB in season. So our HR rate actually increased 75% in season.
If that ratio holds roughly true this year, with our HR/67AB in the fall, we will have ~ HR/36ABs.
With an ~ 2000 AB regular season, this translates to 56 bombs leading into the SEC tourney.

For you chicken littles who like to take everything you can out of context in order to satisfy your inferiority complex -- this is just a fun exercise in interpolation. It's in no way meant as a prediction. Our HR production will depend on the lineups we run out there. We could hit 50+ -- or we could hit 30. Depends on who plays and how we approach the game.

Backwoodsdawg
12-28-2015, 01:12 PM
The pitching was pretty good in the fall. There is a reason there were over 15 or so Pro scouts there on certain days the whole fall. They were there to see certain pitchers pitch early but as the fall went on they came back to see the pitchers and some of the position players. That's a good sign of the talent because they won't come back if there is no reason. The fence was moved in from right field to center field... 25 feet in the middle of the big arch in right center field which is good and bad because our lefty's and everybody we play as well can poke them out there now. We had some good right handed hitters hit deep bombs to left this fall too, a couple of older guys and a couple of Freshman. Overall the power is there they just have to be patient and hit their pitch which if you know anything about baseball is the hardest thing to do at any level especially this one and the next one! They also had a pretty good amount of extra base hits from several different hitters especially some of the Freshman.

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
I hope ur right because since all we do is scrimmage against each other one could come to the conclusion our pitching sucks worse than last year. Just saying.

Our more talented veteran pitchers that will throw the bulk of the innings were actually dominant- freshmen and newcomers got beat up a little by the hitters who will take the bulk of the ABs, as expected. In other words the players we will rely most on performed well when they should have, which I guess that's the "best" outcome of a scrimmage.

FWIW, These are the same pitchers who just about all dominated in the cape cod league this summer. I don't know if there is a college pitching staff in the country who had a better summer than our six or so did collectively at the cape.

Coach34
12-28-2015, 02:08 PM
FWIW, These are the same pitchers who just about all dominated in the cape cod league this summer. I don't know if there is a college pitching staff in the country who had a better summer than our six or so did collectively at the cape.

This is why we are preseason #11- our guys had great summers

BiscuitEater
12-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Is 14 HRs a lot during fall ball?

Well yeah .. especially since we stopped using those stinking Adidas bats**

Political Hack
12-28-2015, 09:04 PM
The total ABs in fall are essentially half a season(at least -- half of the season last year). But a bunch of those ABs are taken by guys that won't be seeing much/any time in the season either, the ball doesn't fly as well in cold weather, etc.

Essentially, last year we had a HR/146AB in fall and a HR/83AB in season. So our HR rate actually increased 75% in season.
If that ratio holds roughly true this year, with our HR/67AB in the fall, we will have ~ HR/36ABs.
With an ~ 2000 AB regular season, this translates to 56 bombs leading into the SEC tourney.

For you chicken littles who like to take everything you can out of context in order to satisfy your inferiority complex -- this is just a fun exercise in interpolation. It's in no way meant as a prediction. Our HR production will depend on the lineups we run out there. We could hit 50+ -- or we could hit 30. Depends on who plays and how we approach the game.

I asked the question because I knew someone on this site would provide an awesome answer like this. Thanks Engie

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Good to hear we're not using Adidas bats this year. What bat company did we go with for this year? Easton?