PDA

View Full Version : Indiana hosed?

Quaoarsking
12-26-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm happy that Kevin Wilson is sad and all, but I think he has a legitimate complaint. This field goal would have tied the game and sent it to a second overtime, but the refs called it "no good." Not reviewable because the kick was higher than the top of the uprights -- apparently it is reviewable if it's lower, but not if it's higher.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HR0bF7AQ--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/xajbxiugr6lggryskrfp.gif

There might be a perspective trick going on here, but it sure looks good to be. The way the entire Indiana team was dumbfounded and insisting it was good is further evidence -- the reaction wouldn't have been so uniform unless they all saw it go in.

Liverpooldawg
12-26-2015, 07:54 PM
That is shot from an angle. As a sports photographer I know what tha means. Angles can be deceiving. NOBODY has a better angle than the official who is standing directly under the upright. That's why if it goes above the upright it's not reviewable.

Apoplectic
12-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Ridiculous to argue. The guy looking up the pole has to have the final and correct call.

thf24
12-26-2015, 08:03 PM
The camera appears to be to the right of center and at a slight angle. That would make the ball appear a little more to the right than it actually was.

maroonmania
12-26-2015, 08:04 PM
Exactly, that view you are showing is from an angle. The view they showed on TV from back behind the goalpost it looks like the ball crosses right over the top of the upright. I believe the entire ball is suppose to pass inside the upright for the ref to call it good.

HailState39110
12-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Exactly, that view you are showing is from an angle. The view they showed on TV from back behind the goalpost it looks like the ball crosses right over the top of the upright. I believe the entire ball is suppose to pass inside the upright for the ref to call it good.

It looks like if the kick would have been lower it would have hit the upright . Sometimes those kicks deflect in and most of the time they don't . Probably a good call

sleepy dawg
12-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Based on the rule, it sounds like it must go between the posts. If over, it still must be between those lines... So if any of the ball was directly over the pole, then it would be no good.

Here is the actual rule - Rule 8-4-1(a)and(b):
A field goal shall be scored for the kicking team if a drop kick or place kick passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team?s goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. The kick shall be a scrimmage kick but may not be a free kick.

If a legal field goal attempt passes over the crossbar between the uprights and is dead beyond the end line or is blown back but does not return over the crossbar and is dead anywhere, it shall score a field goal. The crossbar and uprights are treated as a line, not a plane, in determining forward progress of the ball.

PMDawg
12-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Dumb SOB shouldn't have kicked it so high!**