PDA

View Full Version : Dak accepts Sr Bowl invite.

Leroy Jenkins
12-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Good for him, but I kinda thought he was better than that.

That sounds bad but my perception of the Sr Bowl (for QBs specifically) is that it's for guys who need to showcase themselves, like really good players who aren't as hyped.

HancockCountyDog
12-23-2015, 08:30 PM
He really needs to go, he isn't being mentioned by most people in the top 5 Qbs coming out, plus he didn't play in a pro style system. I don't recall the last time he took a snap under center.

Let's hope he really shows up and plays great.

Leroy Jenkins
12-23-2015, 08:33 PM
One things for sure, they will get me to watch now. More airtime for the school Too.

Saltydog
12-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Bowl. The senior bowl seems to be the least regarded of the three as far as the overall quality of talent at the three games.

JoseBrown
12-23-2015, 08:36 PM
One things for sure, they will get me to watch now. More airtime for the school Too.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I'll definitely be watching now...

Coach34
12-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Pro scouts will be watching at every All-Star game. There is nothing wrong with him accepting this invite. He is a 3rd-4th round pick and trying to work his way up

Saltydog
12-23-2015, 08:58 PM
the talent in Mobile isn't what it will be in the other games. Just ins't.

HancockCountyDog
12-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Bowl. The senior bowl seems to be the least regarded of the three as far as the overall quality of talent at the three games.

I'm not sure where you are getting that, but that's not right. The senior bowl is the premier all star game for college players.

The NFL sets up shop in mobile for a week, the practices are key. The draft picks will bare this out. Hell the NFL channel has their crew in mobile the entire week.

bulldawg28
12-23-2015, 09:47 PM
the talent in Mobile isn't what it will be in the other games. Just ins't.

???? What? The senior bowl is the best of the bowls.

Saltydog
12-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm getting Mobile confused with the old blue/gray game which at one time was the worst of the all star games..........

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2015, 09:53 PM
The Senior Bowl is run by the NFL. It is by far the best. Every team will be represented during the practice week including most GM's.

Skydawg1
12-23-2015, 10:06 PM
the talent in Mobile isn't what it will be in the other games. Just ins't.Since when? The Senior Bowl is the shit. Always has been.

HoopsDawg
12-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Good for him, but I kinda thought he was better than that.

That sounds bad but my perception of the Sr Bowl (for QBs specifically) is that it's for guys who need to showcase themselves, like really good players who aren't as hyped.

Man, the ignorance is astounding. Great opportunity for Dak.

Coach34
12-23-2015, 10:36 PM
this thread plus the 40K is alot for a top recruit comment really shows the lack of knowledge some people have about college football

Leroy Jenkins
12-23-2015, 11:03 PM
Man, the ignorance is astounding. Great opportunity for Dak.

Ignorance? I dont think so buddy. Last years QBs were:

Blake Sims
Garret Grayson
Byron Bennet
Sean Mannion
Brice Petty
Shane Carden

The year before:
Logan Thomas
Tajh Boyd
Stephen Morris
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
David Fales

A veritable who's who of draft picks, not 1 first day guy last year. Need to go back 2 years to find a 2nd rounder (Carr and Garoppolo). Elite college QBs don't typically go to that game. Its not worth it. Im saying I dont think he proves much by playing this game. Working a new playbook with new WRs is a recipe for QBs to look bad, or get injured. Im glad he's playing, but I was hoping he was good enough to not need to.
Ignorance indeed.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2015, 11:11 PM

Blake Sims
Garret Grayson
Byron Bennet
Sean Mannion
Brice Petty
Shane Carden

A veritable who's who of draft picks, not 1 first day guy. Elite college QBs don't typically go to that game. Its not worth it. Im saying I dont think he proves much by playing this game. Working a new playbook with new WRs is a recipe for QBs to look bad, or get injured. Im glad he's playing, but I was hoping he was good enough to not need to.
Ignorance indeed.

Dak isn't considered a 1st or 2nd day lock either. He needs to go to Mobile & show what he can do. It wouldn't be a good look if he passed on this opportunity.

ETA: Grayson & Manion were both 3rd rd picks. Petty 4th rd. So yea I'd say they were on the level as Dak going into the draft process.

msstate7
12-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Blake Sims
Garret Grayson
Byron Bennet
Sean Mannion
Brice Petty
Shane Carden

A veritable who's who of draft picks, not 1 first day guy. Elite college QBs don't typically go to that game. Its not worth it. Im saying I dont think he proves much by playing this game. Working a new playbook with new WRs is a recipe for QBs to look bad, or get injured. Im glad he's playing, but I was hoping he was good enough to not need to.
Ignorance indeed.

Grayson was a 3rd round pick, which is where dak will probably go

Covercorner2
12-23-2015, 11:17 PM
The main point being missed in all of this is that it is the SENIOR bowl. Elite QBs don't play in college their senior year. But, with that being said, the best SENIOR QBs play in the senior bowl....

Schultzy
12-24-2015, 06:14 AM
With all the crappy NFL qb play I've seen this season there are a lot of teams that need to be drafting Prescott before it's too late.

I can see him going higher than projected if he has good practices that week.

Dawg61
12-24-2015, 09:36 AM
With all the crappy NFL qb play I've seen this season there are a lot of teams that need to be drafting Prescott before it's too late.

I can see him going higher than projected if he has good practices that week.

This. I think Dak sneaks into the 2nd round. I imagine there's a couple HCs and GMs that have him very high on their QB list. It only takes one. Tebow went 1st round because McDaniels liked him that much.

I seen it dawg
12-24-2015, 09:42 AM
When was the last time we had a QB invited to anything? Leroy hit yourself in the face with a ****ing shovel.

I seen it dawg
12-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Blake Sims
Garret Grayson
Byron Bennet
Sean Mannion
Brice Petty
Shane Carden

The year before:
Logan Thomas
Tajh Boyd
Stephen Morris
Derek Carr
Jimmy Garoppolo
David Fales

A veritable who's who of draft picks, not 1 first day guy last year. Need to go back 2 years to find a 2nd rounder (Carr and Garoppolo). Elite college QBs don't typically go to that game. Its not worth it. Im saying I dont think he proves much by playing this game. Working a new playbook with new WRs is a recipe for QBs to look bad, or get injured. Im glad he's playing, but I was hoping he was good enough to not need to.
Ignorance indeed.

This post is all kinds of ****ing stupid.

FISHDAWG
12-24-2015, 09:43 AM
He really needs to go, he isn't being mentioned by most people in the top 5 Qbs coming out, plus he didn't play in a pro style system. I don't recall the last time he took a snap under center.

Let's hope he really shows up and plays great.

pro style is quickly becoming the spread type offense

smootness
12-24-2015, 12:54 PM
This is a no-brainer for Dak. The Senior Bowl is easily the best of the 'all-star' games, he isn't currently considered a 1-2 round pick, and he has a chance to be around NFL coaches and prove himself in an NFL system.

EJ Manuel played in the 2013 Senior Bowl and was drafted 16th overall that year. Philip Rivers and Donovan McNabb also played in the game before being drafted in the top 5. As did Steve McNair, Brett Favre, Sterling Sharpe, LaDainian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, Matt Forte, Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Patrick Willis, Clay Matthews, Ameer Abdullah, DeMarcus Ware, John Abraham, Derrick Thomas, Shaun Alexander, Hines Ward, Brian Urlacher, Terrell Owens, Jason Taylor, Curtis Martin, Michael Strahan, Torry Holt, Aeneas Williams...

Do I need to keep going?

The idea that Dak will somehow hurt himself by playing in the Senior Bowl is absurd. There is lots of dumb in this thread.

sleepy dawg
12-24-2015, 01:06 PM
This isn't a bad thing. If Dak isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder right now, then not playing for sure doesn't get him there. Playing might. It's a no brainer... play the game.

Leroy Jenkins
12-24-2015, 02:27 PM
This is a no-brainer for Dak. The Senior Bowl is easily the best of the 'all-star' games, he isn't currently considered a 1-2 round pick, and he has a chance to be around NFL coaches and prove himself in an NFL system.

EJ Manuel played in the 2013 Senior Bowl and was drafted 16th overall that year. Philip Rivers and Donovan McNabb also played in the game before being drafted in the top 5. As did Steve McNair, Brett Favre, Sterling Sharpe, LaDainian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, Matt Forte, Dwight Freeney, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Patrick Willis, Clay Matthews, Ameer Abdullah, DeMarcus Ware, John Abraham, Derrick Thomas, Shaun Alexander, Hines Ward, Brian Urlacher, Terrell Owens, Jason Taylor, Curtis Martin, Michael Strahan, Torry Holt, Aeneas Williams...

Do I need to keep going?

The idea that Dak will somehow hurt himself by playing in the Senior Bowl is absurd. There is lots of dumb in this thread.

Man you pulling out Rivers, Favre, and McNabb? Can we get something from this century? The rest of those players you mentioned are long retired, different draft now, oh and they are NOT QBs which was the original point.

Why did Mariota, Hundley, Matt Barkley, or Gino Smith decline the invitation? Can we get some names that still play football?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Why did Mariota, Hundley, or Gino Smith decline the invitation?

None of these guys you listed were Sr's. They all left after their Jr seasons so they were ineligible.

Dawg61
12-24-2015, 02:50 PM
None of these guys you listed were Sr's. They all left after their Jr seasons so they were ineligible.

Haha Leroy Jenkins time to back out of this thread

Leroy Jenkins
12-24-2015, 02:53 PM

They were invited, guess there are some things you dont know

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2015, 02:57 PM
They were invited, guess there are some things you dont know

Ok we'll go a different route. Mariota & Geno were projected as 1st rd picks. Hundley should've accepted it may have helped his stock (drafted in the 5th rd). Behind 3 of those "no name guys" you listed that played in the game last year. Dak isn't projected as a 1st or 2nd rd pick so again it's in his best interest to go.

Leroy Jenkins
12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Ok we'll go a different route. Mariota & Geno were projected as 1st rd picks. Hundley should've accepted it may have helped his stock (drafted in the 5th rd). Behind 3 of those "no name guys" you listed that played in the game last year. Dak isn't projected as a 1st or 2nd rd pick so again it's in his best interest to go.

literally the 1st one I searched.....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB

But whatever, your opinion.

ETA:

The number of outgoing college football players declining invites to play in the annual Reese's Senior Bowlis growing, and it's a trend the bowl's executive director Phil Savage isn't happy about.

"Two years ago, we had 24 players decline invitations, did not end up coming to Mobile. Last year -- 28, and this year -- 30."

Coach34
12-24-2015, 03:02 PM

well, actually Dak is projected in the 2nd round by CBS- but they are the high side. Its still widely thought he is 3rd-4th

Dawg61
12-24-2015, 03:09 PM
literally the 1st one I searched.....

But whatever, your opinion.

There's four QBs listed ahead of Dak on that list all with 1st round grades. If Dak can jump just one of them it'll be a difference of millions of dollars. Wouldn't you run the risk of playing in a senior bowl for the opportunity to make yourself a couple extra millions of dollars?

sandjunky
12-24-2015, 03:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461026/article/marcus-mariota-declined-senior-bowl-invitation

Marriotta was eligible because he had graduated early...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/01/brett_hundley_says_he_skipped.html

Hundley was banged up

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165837/article/geno-smiths-reps-reportedly-said-to-skip-senior-bowl

Geno got bad advice