PDA

View Full Version : Coverage the rest of the way of camp

state66
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
How does it work again are media allowed to talk to dan after the afternoon practice every day or are the media only getting certain days to get dans point of view of how camp is going.

Coach34
08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
we're not going to hear shit for awhile unless managers and others leak stuff

MSUDawg4Life
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Didn't the coaches and some players give interviews last year?

I think Bob Carskadon said he'll be at some of the practices and may provide a few video clips. I suspect they will be a few runs, catches and blocks. Nothing significant.

Political Hack
08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I think that's it until next week as far as access to practice for anyone.

Paul Jones
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
We had no access today and no more open practices (Sunday was the last one). Some days we get Mullen and then they bring Hevesy and Olinemen, Turner and Dlinemen, Gonzales and wrs, etc, etc. But there are only a couple of days mixed in, like today, where we dont talk to anyone.

99jc
08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I will get some info but no pics.

MSUDawg4Life
08-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Paul.

I thought I remembered that from last year. A few interviews here and there with coaches and selected players.

ShotgunDawg
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
This is gonna be miserable. This is the worst time of year because you know football is here, being played, depth chart being filled out, people making plays, players dominating, freshman defensive ends body slamming folks, tall athletic freshman receivers making one handed catches...... and we don't get to know anything. Its awful and makes me depressed. This is nothing against our coaches because I would do exactly the same thing they are doing, but that doesn't mean it any less sucks.

Sincerely,

Every die hard MSU football fan

Bo Darville
08-05-2013, 08:04 PM
This is gonna be miserable. This is the worst time of year because you know football is here, being played, depth chart being filled out, people making plays, players dominating, freshman defensive ends body slamming folks, tall athletic freshman receivers making one handed catches...... and we don't get to know anything. Its awful and makes me depressed. This is nothing against our coaches because I would do exactly the same thing they are doing, but that doesn't mean it any less sucks.

Sincerely,

Every die hard MSU football fan

This is probably the best summary anyone will read.

engie
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
If we didn't have terrible reporters that actually WRITE about players getting into fights(stuff that happens at EVERY camp everywhere and should always be kept internal) in their paper, much less giving away stuff we don't want given away, maybe more practices would be at least semi open...

Ghost of Hank Flick
08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
I love reading practice reports, this weekend I couldn't get enough, but at the same time if we do that we'll all be so wooly we can only be disappointed after hearing that 98% of the team looks better than ever and we look as good as LSU on the practice field, etc. I would like to hear thoughts from actual football people rather than nerds with a journalism degree though.

Here's to hoping there is another confrontation between Mullen and the media this year. Last year's was fun to watch. The ultimate would be Dan punching Matt Stevens in the face, or maybe just grabbing his recorder out of his hand and throwing it out the door. That queer turned my Matty dispatch account into twitter because he was getting his feeling hurt. If Dan doesn't punch Stevens in the face before fall practice is over hopefully you will Paul, I know you want to.

War Machine Dawg
08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Matt Stevens should have his media credentials revoked. Period. It's one thing to be a hack. It's another to intentionally be as negative as possible to hurt the team you're paid to cover.

MSUDawg4Life
08-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who actually likes that we don't share everything. See no need to let our opponent know what's going on.

Ghost of Hank Flick
08-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who actually likes that we don't share everything. See no need to let our opponent know what's going on.

Ha, it's funny that you think our media could decipher what is actually going on. Our media knows everything about Star Wars and Harry Potter, not so much about football plays. If our media relations had some stones they'd just let Paul, Robbie, John and Gene in the practices, let them take notes and write about what they see and get a different player or coach each day to incorporate into their story. But they are too afraid to offend the newspapers.

FlabLoser
08-05-2013, 09:07 PM
The media screwed up some NFL game years ago. Superbowl? I don't remember which one.

Some guys is reporting from practice during the week and there are a couple video clips of the team. The opposition notices and says to themselves, wow, I've never seen them run that play.

So that play comes out in the game and the defense was all over it and made a big play.

Paul Jones
08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Some of you nailed it on the head as far as things getting out that dont need to get out. During Sherrill's tenure, I was a student back then in media relations but every practice was open. Even the regular season practices were open and Sherrill said they could stay as long as they didnt report on things that didnt need to be reported on. But last year was an even longer wait because Mullen only had one day (two split practices) open but this year there were six open practices.
But there are ways to get info, lol, just not as much as I would prefer. Yet I do understand the reasoning for it and so do coaches that are not in their first year. Freeze had all practices open last year with camp but not this year. Mullen did the same his first year but cut down after that.