PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Buy/Sell (based on production)

BeastMan
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
First off, I would like to say that I love all of our players and have to look strictly at statistical production to have a fair and balanced view. There are 2 guys in particular I want yall's opinion on.

1) Denico Autry- we all like to think that he is an elite pass rusher (5*). Last year he only had 4 sacks. I'll admit that he looked better at the end of the year. Buy or sell that if he has 0 sacks through our first 4 games, (all passing teams) we need to start Chris Jones at SDE. I say play CJ in very heavy doses at the minimum if Autry's production doesn't match our expectations for him.

2) Kaleb Eulls- For the love of everything holy, he saved a girl from a gun on a school bus; great guy. Last year he had 0 sacks & 1 TFL (year before he had 1 sack & 3 TFL). Buy or sell that if he has 0 TFL in our first 4 games, we need to start Quay Evans.

This is such an interesting topic to me. We have a want for our guys to produce like none other. If you were to show those stat lines to a fan of another school, it would be a no brainer b/c they don't have the passion that we do for these guys to succeed as individual players. When for these 2 is production a must? Where is their mendoza lines? Personally I would give Autry more leeway but goodness, he's a SR. I feel like its time to show me something or we should go to CJ.

blacklistedbully
08-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Didn't David Turner say something about Autry playing hurt all of last season? If he's healthy I'd expect more production this, his second year in the SEC, either getting sacks, drawing double-teams or some combination.

Eulls is a DT who was forced to DE by Wilson, was he not? I can't wait to see him play at DT, and am willing to give him a littel time to adjust back from playing DE last year.

I expect Turner will know much better than any of us here, and will make the correct decisions.

Django_DB
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Both need to bring it

BeastMan
08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
@blacklistedbully

That's exactly what I'm getting at. We can make tons of reason why they didn't produce. What do we need to see from them? What is acceptable? If they don't produce through the first 4, do we make a move?

blacklistedbully
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
@blacklistedbully

That's exactly what I'm getting at. We can make tons of reason why they didn't produce. What do we need to see from them? What is acceptable? If they don't produce through the first 4, do we make a move?

I'm guessing other guys will be subbing in anyway, getting some reps/experience. keeping guys fresh. If one of the other guys is doing better, they'll just increase the reps that guy gets, and he'll eventually take over the "starter" position. I don't think we give either 4 games, then bench 'em. Rather we'll gradually decrease their playing time in favor of other players to see if they are a significant improvement.

I seen it dawg
08-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Well one damn thing we won't see is fatass Cherry playing a majority of snaps. I think we see much better production from our down 4 groups based strictly on the fact that we don't have the Crooms of a DL coach there anymore.

CadaverDawg
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Good topic.

I would allow Autry to start in ALL big games this year due to his experience. However, if he struggles out of the gate (which I am not expecting), we should give Jones a lot of snaps in our games against Alcorn, BG, Kentucky, Troy, etc. because we need Jones to be ready to go next season, so getting him a lot of PT against weaker teams and in games we have a big lead in, will be key.

As for Eulls....I really like the guy, but if he gets off to a slow start I definitely think we move Quay in the starting role. Let's be honest, when you have a 5 star DT, you can't let him sit on the bench in "hopes" that Eulls will get it going. Quay should be seeing a big increase in role this year regardless, and especially if Eulls starts slow.

FISHDAWG
08-06-2013, 09:01 AM
it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Quay in there by the LSU game ... to be fair to Eulls, I saw him make some plays last year but I just don't think either the speed nor intensity is there to play out on the end ... I think we will see Dan playing the better players this year and giving the senior thing a rest ... I hope Eulls will be more effective on the interior - but, there's a lot of talent in waiting

FlabLoser
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
It is hard for me to grade anybody based on what happened last year under Wilson.

Barking 13
08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
It is hard for me to grade anybody based on what happened last year under Wilson.

Amen!

Pollodawg
08-06-2013, 11:01 AM

This. How can you grade anyone fairly after that shit show last season?

PMDawg
08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Buy on both. If not Jones on #1, somebody has to be able to produce better than that.

With Quay, I'm surprised he's not with the ones anyway. last year, when he played, he appeared to get more push than anybody else on our line. the problem was he didn't know his assignment (or this was my take on it) and he looked lost. But man he could bust through a line. We need disruption like that. Hopefully he gets his stuff togehter quickly, because he appears to be a force.

The Croom Diaries
08-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Where are AJ Jefferson and Nick James in these equations?

I think the question is almost as much, when do we get to see Quay and CJ? Autry might be getting double and triple teamed while Preston Smith is getting blocked by one man so Preston has 2 sacks after 4 games and Autry has none. But I'd say we need to see about working Jones in at WDE rather than replacing Denico.

I think you have to play your best players. If Chris Jones is better than Autry then play him, but I doubt that he is right now. If the only reason to play the younger guys is so we get them experience for the future, I don't like that. Play them more in the bowl game or something, not the SEC. Unless you just have a terrible team like OM in 2011 or UK last year, you have a chance to knock off anyone any given Saturday so I think you put your best foot forward and try to win the game.

The question also might be, are Nick James and Quay Evans better than Eulls, PJ and Virges but their work ethic is poor and they aren't getting playing time because of it? That is a fine line to walk, but I think at the end of the game you have to have played the best players for the most time during the game, regardless of starter.

Bullmutt
08-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing other guys will be subbing in anyway, getting some reps/experience. keeping guys fresh. If one of the other guys is doing better, they'll just increase the reps that guy gets, and he'll eventually take over the "starter" position. I don't think we give either 4 games, then bench 'em. Rather we'll gradually decrease their playing time in favor of other players to see if they are a significant improvement.

This^

The question also might be, are Nick James and Quay Evans better than Eulls, PJ and Virges but their work ethic is poor and they aren't getting playing time because of it?

This, too^^

I've seen a few comments on the board about an apparent lack of conditioning on the parts of Quay and Nick. Why would there be? Are their bodies not responding as they should to Bailis's workouts, or are they just dogging it?

Bothrops
08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Our defensive line was absolutely horrible last year! I noticed this in the very first game against JSU, when we weren't getting into the backfield much. That scared me. I knew that when we faced a team with a pulse we would be in trouble. Lucky, we escaped Troy and outscored Tennessee. But, I thought Denico Autry was a player, he just needed time to adjust. He's very athletic and hits the tackle hard. Eulls, as strong as he is, should be more of a factor against the run. Maybe he will be at some point this year.

Coaching can make all the difference this year. There's too much talent. I think having Autry and CJ on the line together on 3rd down should be exciting. We are quite deep at DE, and could have 3 or 4 guys that could start.

deltadawg99
08-06-2013, 10:49 PM
1. Sell on Autry - he has experience and was playing much better towards the end of the year. I don't remember Mcphee's stats his junior year, but it usually takes juco guys a few games to adjust.

2. Buy - I think moving Eulls to DT was definitely the right move and everybody wants him to succeed, but if he doesn't produce anymore than we got to get Quay some starting experience.

RougeDawg
08-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Pernell didn't come on strong until the 2nd half of his Junior year. Both of them being Juco transfers, this is somewhat of the norm. I fully expect Denico to have a great final season and emerge on the national scene. He played all of his better games against our better opponents last year. Let that sink in for a moment. Some of you forget recent similar situations. Also, Wilson's shit defense would make Clowney look like an average SEC D lineman. Wilson was completely inept as far as getting the most out of the players he had.

Thank God he is gone and we will be leaps and bounds better this year. Have patience and confidence folks. We're a

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Pernell didn't come on strong until the 2nd half of his Junior year. Both of them being Juco transfers, this is somewhat of the norm. I fully expect Denico to have a great final season and emerge on the national scene. He played all of his better games against our better opponents last year. Let that sink in for a moment. Some of you forget recent similar situations. Also, Wilson's shit defense would make Clowney look like an average SEC D lineman. Wilson was completely inept as far as getting the most out of the players he had.

Thank God he is gone and we will be leaps and bounds better this year. Have patience and confidence folks. We're a

Wilson's system was terrible and I'm glad he's gone, but let's not get crazy here. Clowney could make Tyrone Nix look good.

Political Hack
08-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Autry should be fine. He's too talented not to be. Last year he had to defend the edge 99% of the time instead of gettin to the QB. This year we're bringing the pain. I think we see him surpass last years numbers quickly, but Ern if he doesn't its not an absolute statement on his production. If he's getting QB hurries and causing plays to break down, he's doing his job.

PJ and Eulls better be monsters because there are two monsters behind them that will eat QBs. Quay looks to be in shape and his emotional maturity has not been an issue on the field of play while at State.

Barking 13
08-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Wilson's system was terrible and I'm glad he's gone, but let's not get crazy here. Clowney could make Joe Lee Dunn look good.

FIFY ;)

RougeDawg
08-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Wilson's system was terrible and I'm glad he's gone, but let's not get crazy here. Clowney could make Tyrone Nix look good.

Makes you wonder what actually was the reason he was so successful with the Buzzards, but wasn't successfull at OM after he was given all of those talented players from their 18 time national recruiting championships?

M.Fillmore
08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Honest question: Does Quay have the head/heart for the game?

I'm not denying Quay has tools and talent but I saw him play 3x his senior year of high school when he would dominate and then take quarters off and be a spectator on the field.

I hope that nonsense is over.

biggun
08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
1.Autry played extremely well the 2nd half of the year against great competition and is poised to have a monster senior season. CJ will be pushing Preston Smith, who got more than half of his sacks and tfl's in garbage time(game decided,late 4th qtr) and in non conference games, not Autry who I predict will be an All SEC player this year for us. Regardless CJ will be starting or playing as much as a starter beginning in game 1 against OSU

2. Eulls has produced very little the last 2 years and going against 330lb guards at DT this year is not going to transform him into a star but he has to be better than his last 2 years where he did next to nothing.

We must have a combo of Nick, Quay, PJ, Virges and Eulls to be ok at DT. The coaches knew DT could be a big problem this year so they went hard after several Juco DT's but unfortunately missed on every one of them with Toby Johnson being the last to break our hearts by signing with Georgia. To add insult to injury, I read yesterday that TJ is looking like a beast so far in practice.

FISHDAWG
08-07-2013, 12:22 PM
I think much more so than Cherry did ... when Quay was in the game he was always close to the ball