PDA

View Full Version : MSU/Mullen recruiting... Improved yet room for improvement.

RougeDawg
12-19-2015, 02:09 PM
For one I am happy with our overall recruiting these last few years. We have slowly started obtaining the more talented players each year. We continue to identify those diamonds in the rough and do a whole hell of a lot more with less than our SECWest brethren do. Let's not forget that. We now have the sustained talent and recruiting to compete for the West just about every year going forward and barring a complete disaster class

Having said that I believe we have room for improvement in recruiting and it does not happen on the recruiting trail. It happens from September-Dec/Jan. For us to take that next step and start drawing the attention of 3 and done guys, Dan is going to have to change his philosophy with these type players, take off the training wheels in August, and turn them loose from Day 1. These premium players want to play and tend to sign places they know they will play from day 1 because the HC has shown he will play them from Snap 1. That's one area Dan has the most hesitation and don't tell me these kids take that long to learn our schemes. How can every other program get 4-5* guys ready to play. Meyer does it and how much different is our offense than his to understand? If we have the only offense in the nation that is so complicated for a true freshman to learn, then we need to change it up. This cannot be the case, so Dan has got to shake this thinking, play our young talent, and start reading the rewards in February.

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Right now about 49 spots worth of improvement.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Right now about 49 spots worth of improvement.

Right now we're 41. A commitment from Sullivan would put us at 31. We're not far at all from a top 25 class & a few right dominos from top 20. Just have to get it done.

War Machine Dawg
12-19-2015, 03:04 PM
We recruit well enough everywhere but OL. If we fix that, everything else falls into place. Should we continue signing 95% project garbage, we'll see the current slide continue.

AROB44
12-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Some of ya'll are absolutely obsessed with recruiting rankings......just like OM.

NCDawg
12-19-2015, 03:22 PM
We recruit well enough everywhere but OL. If we fix that, everything else falls into place. Should we continue signing 95% project garbage, we'll see the current slide continue.

Every year it seems we miss out on just about all the OL we go after. What does that tell you? It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

DancingRabbit
12-19-2015, 03:22 PM

While I hope we can start getting more blue chips on the OL, I still think it's OK to take projects. Just got to identify guys with the right frame, smarts, motivation and mean streak.

But you have to do the job of developing them and coaching. Hopefully Hev can bounce back this coming year.

Coach34
12-19-2015, 03:35 PM
All you have to do is look at our football team to see the holes in our recruiting:

For 2015-

We continue to not recruit well enough on the OL- huge Achilles heel all thru the Mullen tenure.
We didnt have very good CB depth- once Redmond went down we really hurt there
We have had a hole at Safety 2 years in a row
Poor development at the RB position. I think the talent is there

For 2016:

OL still a huge concern
DL is a concern- a few good players but not nearly the 2 deep necessary to win 10 games
CB is still a huge concern

QB, TE, RB, and Safety has talent but it will be green

That's the jest of our recruiting

Jack Lambert
12-19-2015, 03:37 PM

So is it coaching or recruiting?

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 04:05 PM
While I hope we can start getting more blue chips on the OL, I still think it's OK to take projects. Just got to identify guys with the right frame, smarts, motivation and mean streak.

But you have to do the job of developing them and coaching. Hopefully Hev can bounce back this coming year.

Yes let's keep doing what isn't working and expect different results because maybe the guy who hasn't produced the past three years might turn it around and suddenly identify talent better and coach better without any basis or logical reason.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 04:06 PM
So is it coaching or recruiting?

Some of both.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 04:07 PM

YES! Why more people don't understand this I don't know.

NCDawg
12-19-2015, 04:26 PM
YES! Why more people don't understand this I don't know.

I think most of the people on this board do understand, but nothing we can do about Mullen's choice of a coach. We can complain, but it's to no avail.

RougeDawg
12-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Some of y'all are forgetting the margin of error in the West. We were a few plays and breaks away from a 9-10 win season and a few plays/breaks away from a 6 win season with the same oline we had. We didn't catch the breaks against LSU and A&M and had horrible ones in EB. Part of it but we still had a team talented enough to have won any of them. Bucky's OLine wasn't much, if at all, better than our this year overall. Thet just schemes away from their weaknesses until they got softie back. The ultimate key to solidifying one side of the line is signing a blue chipper and letting him play. Don't training wheel them at any position and only play them full time when you are forced to due to an injury. You cannot tell me that the fact Dan holds "All Players" reigns back when they arrive on campus isn't used against us in going after top guys. Shit even Saban, Meyer, Miles etc. seem to be able to get their young try freshman on the field to make impacts from day one and those teams are loaded with more talent than just about every other team in the nation. Any one of those coaches would have gotten Chris Jones types involved before the 2nd half of their true freshman seasons. This is what I'm talking about and it's being used against us. Dan is so hell bent on his "Developmental 4 year plan" that he cannot alter it and allow these blue chippers to go full speed from snap 1. It's hurting us more now that we have too talent and put training wheels on them than is did before we had them. At least we could sell PT to them previously because they had no evidence to suggest otherwise back then. Now they do and are still passing us over.

DancingRabbit
12-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes let's keep doing what isn't working and expect different results because maybe the guy who hasn't produced the past three years might turn it around and suddenly identify talent better and coach better without any basis or logical reason.

There's stuff to complain about without making shit up. In 2014 we had the 4th best offense in SEC history. Ranked 3rd in the conference in rushing offense and 7th in sacks allowed. Three OL signed with NFL teams.

In 2015 things fell apart and Hev better get the shit fixed.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
I
There's stuff to complain about without making shit up. In 2014 we had the 4th best offense in SEC history. Ranked 3rd in the conference in rushing offense and 7th in sacks allowed. Three OL signed with NFL teams.

I didn't make shit up. We have been seventh or worse in sacks allowed the past four seasons. We have also been seventh or worse in rushing offense three out of the last four seasons. If that doesn't spell decline you're a bigger idiot than I gave you credit for in the first place.

Do I need to review the recruiting rankings of our o-line signings or would you like to make yourself look worse than you already do?

DancingRabbit
12-19-2015, 05:05 PM
I

I didn't make shit up. We have been seventh or worse in sacks allowed the past four seasons. We have also been seventh or worse in rushing offense three out of the last four seasons. If that doesn't spell decline you're a bigger idiot than I gave you credit for in the first place.

Do I need to review the recruiting rankings of our o-line signings or would you like to make yourself look worse than you already do?

17 off.

3rd in sacks allowed in 2012.

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 05:11 PM
I

3rd in the conference in sacks allowed in 2012. And like we have discussed before, the sacks allowed number doesn't mean as much in determining OL protection. It's sacks per pass attempts that has more meaning.

This site is only the last two years but is really good for giving you a stat for the OL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/ncaa-offensive-line/2014

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 05:31 PM
17 off.

3rd in sacks allowed in 2012.

My bad seventh or worse three out of the last four seasons. Still very compelling argument for improvement on your part indeed.**

Not to mentions with an extremely mobile QB most of those years.

Now you go **** off. Probably with your boyfriends hand.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 05:33 PM
3rd in the conference in sacks allowed in 2012. And like we have discussed before, the sacks allowed number doesn't mean as much in determining OL protection. It's sacks per pass attempts that has more meaning.

This site is only the last two years but is really good for giving you a stat for the OL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/statistics/ncaa-offensive-line/2014

Only 81st in the country using that metric.

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Only 81st in the country using that metric.

What year? You talking just passing down ranking last year? That's not sacks per attempt. And read the entire stats. At least Top 26 in the country for over half of the stats last year. And these stats eliminate the other personnel, QB, RB, WR, etc and the adjusted numbers take the opponents in consideration.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 06:36 PM
What year? You talking just passing down ranking last year? That's not sacks per attempt. And read the entire stats. At least Top 26 in the country for over half of the stats last year. And these stats eliminate the other personnel, QB, RB, WR, etc and the adjusted numbers take the opponents in consideration.

Yes- I glanced over it while I was out and about and mistakenly assumed that the rank in the last column was overall rank.

Got it for 2015, 2012, and 2013? One out of four in this case isn't good.

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes- I glanced over it while I was out and about and mistakenly assumed that the rank in the last column was overall rank.

Got it for 2015, 2012, and 2013? One out of four in this case isn't good.

On that same link up top you change for this year's numbers. (The adjusted line rushing number was a surprise) I found the 2013 numbers used by this same site before posted somewhere else, can't remember where though. Just google college football offensive line stats 2013 and it should pop up. I haven't seen any breakdown like this prior. Someone else may have. They started with Pro football years ago and just started college in 2013, as far as I have been able to find.

War Machine Dawg
12-19-2015, 07:21 PM

It's not about taking no projects on the OL. It's about the volume of projects we're taking. It's easily over half our OL class every year. That's way too many. We should only be taking 1-3 project OL a year. Then if they don't develop like you expect, it isn?t a big deal. But when you take the amount we have, you get completely decimated, which is what we're seeing this year.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 07:27 PM
It's not about taking no projects on the OL. It's about the volume of projects we're taking. It's easily over half our OL class every year. That's way too many. We should only be taking 1-3 project OL a year. Then if they don't develop like you expect, it isn?t a big deal. But when you take the amount we have, you get completely decimated, which is what we're seeing this year.

We need three blue chips a year and two projects typically. Unless we can get more than three blue chips of course.

I seen it dawg
12-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Some of y'all are forgetting the margin of error in the West. We were a few plays and breaks away from a 9-10 win season and a few plays/breaks away from a 6 win season with the same oline we had. We didn't catch the breaks against LSU and A&M and had horrible ones in EB. Part of it but we still had a team talented enough to have won any of them. Bucky's OLine wasn't much, if at all, better than our this year overall. Thet just schemes away from their weaknesses until they got softie back. The ultimate key to solidifying one side of the line is signing a blue chipper and letting him play. Don't training wheel them at any position and only play them full time when you are forced to due to an injury. You cannot tell me that the fact Dan holds "All Players" reigns back when they arrive on campus isn't used against us in going after top guys. Shit even Saban, Meyer, Miles etc. seem to be able to get their young try freshman on the field to make impacts from day one and those teams are loaded with more talent than just about every other team in the nation. Any one of those coaches would have gotten Chris Jones types involved before the 2nd half of their true freshman seasons. This is what I'm talking about and it's being used against us. Dan is so hell bent on his "Developmental 4 year plan" that he cannot alter it and allow these blue chippers to go full speed from snap 1. It's hurting us more now that we have too talent and put training wheels on them than is did before we had them. At least we could sell PT to them previously because they had no evidence to suggest otherwise back then. Now they do and are still passing us over.

Sometime fore baseball starts learn a ****ing paragraph Edgar Allen.

OurState
12-20-2015, 03:42 AM

Please don't give me the "we were a few plays from more wins" or the "we dominate TSUN for the last 3 quarters" shit. Games are 4q's. Every fan base can say if TD pass was a pick six the game would be different. Let's deal with reality.

Taog Redloh
12-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Ain't this the truth. These guys can't see past yesterday. Weirdly enough, it was Dak's INTs that kept us out of Atlanta in 2014, not the OL.

Behrdawg
12-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Doesn't matter. It's the SEC. In year 7 the OL should be the LEAST of worries for Dan. Hevesy has a lot in play with this issue, too. Hopefully Mullen will pull his head out of his ass and do something about it now.

RougeDawg
12-20-2015, 04:12 PM
Please don't give me the "we were a few plays from more wins" or the "we dominate TSUN for the last 3 quarters" shit. Games are 4q's. Every fan base can say if TD pass was a pick six the game would be different. Let's deal with reality.

You are a moron. You choose to read what you wish. I said a few plays away from 10 wins and a few plays away from 6 wins. Please work on your comprehension skills before posting again.