PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting....

BorneDawg
12-18-2015, 09:30 PM
I'm just a nobody who knows nothing but I keep seeing a lot of folks on here unhappy with our coaches recruiting efforts or success. I have a question for those who must know more than me. Say we want Joe he's a top tier player and we need him . the coaches call ,talk,visit, ect... We give him the full court press... But for what ever reason say he wants to go somewhere else.... All our coaches can do is show him what we can offer and sell Stark-Vegas. We can't force them to choose us and unless we become hypocrites and start playing little brothers game of lies,money,and crap... What else do you expect of them? Hey I would like for us to get the top guys every time but in the end we can only sell our program.... Sometimes it sounds like people on here want us to hold them at gun point or something to make them to come here... Like I said I'm a nobody who knows nothing just thinking out loud! Happy Festivus I started the airing of grievances.,.....

huffy
12-18-2015, 09:38 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/RL0xU1daTlMoE/giphy.gif

Bothrops
12-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Hmm..hold them at gunpoint. We may have to try that..

CadaverDawg
12-18-2015, 09:49 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/20/c6/fd/20c6fda81a1a6bb98630987728677326.gif

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-18-2015, 09:56 PM
http://img-s1.onedio.com/id-55000241959e7ca755cc7f88/rev-0/raw/s-b681b123c2092234c2c2ac988be60ae84230a69a.gif

dawgoneyall
12-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Excuse me for wanting better.

djaymsu5
12-18-2015, 10:58 PM
https://twitter.com/brown1arthur/status/677263083237220352

I know AJ is just having fun but damn this is unnecessary.

BorneDawg
12-18-2015, 11:06 PM
I want better too but I don't want to copy the sorriest group if sobs in the world to get someone to come to my school.

beretta
12-18-2015, 11:09 PM
how about, you make 4.5 MILLION dollars a year....and we pay you to recruit at a high level, and win football games.....getting your ass kicked in recruiting and on the field by your in state rival on top of that....

being a good recruiter is talent in itself.....its obvious mullen doesnt have it....so, for 4.5 MILLION a year, yes, i expect better recruiting.....there are 4 sports a year....football, basketball, baseball, and national signing day......

If you can't recruit better and make/persuade the best to come play for you in your own backyard, then you shouldn't be making 4.5 MILLION a year....

take a pay cut or sign em....

its called accountability.....and by the way, in 2016, he will make 5.2 MILLION....he better step that game up

dawgoneyall
12-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Bingo 17ing oh

And if he wants out ...he needs to go.

Interviewing for the Miami job will never, never be acceptable for me. NEVER.

If he is looking for another job he is not committed to MSU. If you are not committed to MSU you need to go.

defiantdog
12-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Bingo 17ing oh

And if he wants out ...he needs to go.

Interviewing for the Miami job will never, never be acceptable for me. NEVER.

If he is looking for another job he is not committed to MSU. If you are not committed to MSU you need to go.

He needs an agent that can keep his name out of the media. Looking for a job every year is fine..... who wouldn't take a raise if it was offered? But he doesn't need the entire world to know. You can lose a lot of friends that way.

dawgoneyall
12-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Exactly.

Bottom line.....Mullen is not committed to MSU. He is only committed to Mullen.

That is fine with me but he needs to do that somewhere else.

I am/was a Mullen fan but his interview with Miami lost me. He and I do not have the same goals. Mine is for MSU to be the best....his is for what is best for Mullen..

Again that is fine with me but he needs to do that crap somewhere else. NOW.

cheat2win
12-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Yall do realize the way Mullen can get "the best for Mullen" is for State to be good right?

dawgoneyall
12-19-2015, 01:01 AM
I know that. Interviewing for the Miami job demonstrates that Mullen doesn't know that.

That interview is the deal killer for me. I am a nobody but......

SMOOTY
12-19-2015, 01:13 AM
It's our fans, too. MarketingDawgs dumb post in the deleted thread from earlier may have just lost AJ.

cheat2win
12-19-2015, 01:37 AM
I know that. Interviewing for the Miami job demonstrates that Mullen doesn't know that.

That interview is the deal killer for me. I am a nobody but......
On a national level I imagine most consider Miami to be a better job then State. As alumni or fan we have more intense emotions towards the city/university then most coaches we will have. Support our coaches and program put the woe is us shit to the side.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 02:28 AM
Yall do realize the way Mullen can get "the best for Mullen" is for State to be good right?

We realize it. I hope Dan realizes it. If he wants to go him beating LSU, Alabama, and Ole Miss are going to do more to achieve that than simply beating who we are supposed to beat every year. Which of course would be good for us as well.

I'm honestly not sure that he could find a "better job" than the one he has right now based on pay, conference, facilities, etc. that would realistically take him based on his body of work at MSU.

Todd4State
12-19-2015, 02:39 AM
The thing that people need to realize about the money is it's not really that simple as just throwing cash at a kid. Ole Miss targets the family especially disadvantaged ones- and they use that to play to getting a recruit a lot of times. So, it's not JUST the money- it's helping your family out by also having a nice house and a job for their parent included in the package.

I know we're all MSU fans here except for Tusk and the Arkansas fan that lurks occasionally- but here's a question I want to pose to the board. If you are a high school recruit and your family is slightly above the poverty level and your parents are having to work hard to just stay afloat and Ole Miss offers you a chance to get your family a nice house and a higher paying job where they don't have to work as much (or even at all in some cases) would you go to Ole Miss over MSU? Nevermind the 30K which is basically a cherry on top. I bet a lot of people would. And sure, you could argue that you go to MSU you might have a better chance at the NFL and it would be a better decision long term, but your family is still going to struggle short term.

So, if we want to recruit like Ole Miss, we need to get the "ins"- whether that's giving someone's brother a job on the coaching staff, having a prominent booster adopt a homeless player, or getting a teammate of a potential top prospect on the team to give us that "in"- that's what we have to do. Dan doesn't do that a lot- and I'm not really faulting him for that because to be honest not very many schools do that to the extent that Ole Miss does.

But if we are going to get elite level out of state talent, that's probably what we're going to have to do some.

Red Sox Dawg
12-19-2015, 06:32 AM
It amuses me when people say we have to play the game to be successful. Who on this board is going to step up and give the houses and the money to play the game? Who is going to employ the parents and let them work a little or not at all to help play the game? Who on this board is going to do that? I don't tweet and certainly don't have the time or desire to tweet and retweet what a high school senior says...so I ask again, who will?

msstate7
12-19-2015, 07:55 AM
It's our fans, too. MarketingDawgs dumb post in the deleted thread from earlier may have just lost AJ.

I definitely think we should watch what we post about recruits, but some random post on a message board by an an anonymous poster isn't gonna cost us a recruit... You're giving us way too much credit

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-19-2015, 08:12 AM
The "Dan wants to go" and "Dan interviewed for Miami" was greatly exaggerated. I tried to tell the main people banging the drum that. Nobody listened.

msstate7
12-19-2015, 08:15 AM
The "Dan wants to go" and "Dan interviewed for Miami" was greatly exaggerated. I tried to tell the main people banging the drum that. Nobody listened.

I think the ones beating that drum are the ones that want Dan to go

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-19-2015, 08:19 AM
I think the ones beating that drum are the ones that want Dan to go

May be. I never doubted that they were getting information from someone they trust. I just doubt the person they got the j formation from. I know for a fact that Dan actually only was interested in one job. Georgia. That's it. The "interview" with Miami was a phone call that got nowhere. Media linked him to every open job out there. He wasn't interested in Maryland, Virginia, Hoboken State, or anywhere other then Georgia. And who the hell can blame him for that

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2015, 08:31 AM
It amuses me when people say we have to play the game to be successful. Who on this board is going to step up and give the houses and the money to play the game? Who is going to employ the parents and let them work a little or not at all to help play the game? Who on this board is going to do that? I don't tweet and certainly don't have the time or desire to tweet and retweet what a high school senior says...so I ask again, who will?

And this brings up the million dollar question: does Ole Miss want it more than us?

We have money. We have the people and resources to do what they do, but we choose not to. Why? Do they desire winning more?

In some ways I think Ole Miss is currently benefiting from their alumni that attended the school during or just after the Vaught era, feeling like they are "running out of time" and want to see Ole Miss do something special before they die. After Vaught left, they probably spent 30 years believing they would return to glory, only to see it not happen. Following Nutt, they realized they realized they were all getting older and the time had to be now. So they've gotten desperate.

Our older alumni, with deep pockets, never experienced an era of MSU football like that, so I think they are naturally less optimistic about what can be done.

Cabo32
12-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Let's be real..we're "playing the game"... every team in our conference does..except for vandy..some programs just have a bigger budget and can "play the game" better than others.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2015, 09:01 AM
While I'm not in a position to do it, it ain't that hard to organize - my high school was doing it 25 years ago. We had an All-America QB, and we had key boosters who went out recruiting 4-5 players to "fill-gaps". They got rent free apartments or houses, and if needed a job for a parent so they could live in district. What is unique is the scale at which OM seems to do it.

SallyStansbury
12-19-2015, 09:30 AM
What you say is true, best for Mullen is for MSU to be good....

However Dan is stubborn and I doubt he is comfortable asking our good ole boy power structure for "help". Bracky et al. likely make this harder, but schmoozing is part of it and I bet his introverted controlling nature allow him to justify to himself that he and Hev can coach up some diamonds in the rough. That hasn't worked and we get the results we have gotten against better teams.

Mullen tried to escape and he failed, that to me suggests he probably won't change his approach and we will get more of what we have gotten, which if that is 7-8 wins per year, I am fine with that result. Carry on with recruiting chatter.

HSVDawg
12-19-2015, 10:10 AM
May be. I never doubted that they were getting information from someone they trust. I just doubt the person they got the j formation from. I know for a fact that Dan actually only was interested in one job. Georgia. That's it. The "interview" with Miami was a phone call that got nowhere. Media linked him to every open job out there. He wasn't interested in Maryland, Virginia, Hoboken State, or anywhere other then Georgia. And who the hell can blame him for that

I can tell you for a fact that he had an offer on the table from Maryland. He likely either turned it down or was noncommittal until he could follow-up on the UGA job and they went another direction. But he was interested enough and had enough talks to get an offer.

bulldawg28
12-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Back on topic....Whose the next recruit to be a bulldawg

msstate7
12-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Back on topic....Whose the next recruit to be a bulldawg

Really hope it's Sullivan first of the week... That'd be a nice Christmas present

I seen it dawg
12-19-2015, 10:44 AM

How about stop reading what a high school kid tweets...

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 11:02 AM
I can tell you for a fact that he had an offer on the table from Maryland. He likely either turned it down or was noncommittal until he could follow-up on the UGA job and they went another direction. But he was interested enough and had enough talks to get an offer.

That's not a fact. At best they pitched an offer to the agent (that's iffy depending on who you talk with) and Dan rejected it. He was not interested or had talks with them. The biggest reason we knew so much about Miami was because the Miami prople were talking, a lot. Not Mullen or his agent. And it pissed Stricklin off that they were talking so much.

tcdog70
12-19-2015, 11:09 AM

If it was all bullshit, how hard would it have been for Dan to just say, I am not going anywhere, I am happy with MSU. Do that and it is no big deal. I know that Freeze was interested in the Georgia job, but only if he was THE #1 Man. His agent Jimmy Sextent is just better that Dans agent. Face it Dan can't help it, he is an arrogant Yankee, but he is our arrogant Yankee. It is something we have to live with, sort of like biting a persimmon.

ElitedawgRecruiting
12-19-2015, 11:18 AM
I am pretty sure Dan did say that. Said I have a job and I am happy. But some want him to say it 49 times a week

DudyDawg
12-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Lot of "sources" doing a lot of speculating

I seen it dawg
12-19-2015, 11:23 AM
It's ****ing over with. You muther****ers need to just let it go and move on. Same ****ing shit all the time.

BossDawg
12-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Good lord look at the UMiss fans replying. They are borderline pedophiles. They are definitely weird, desperate, and clingy, like a whipped girlfriend, but pedophiles? Many could be viable candidates.

Don't ever let one of those pompous goobers tell you they are Godly and love Freeze, because they literally worship these recruits, not God.

I think that would disturb me if I was a recruit. That's just......weird and reeks of desperation.

tcdog70
12-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I am pretty sure Dan did say that. Said I have a job and I am happy. But some want him to say it 49 times a week

Glad to hear he said it. But I never saw it. I did see several times where he could have said it but didn't.. The big boys out there that will pay more than four million will never hire Dan until He can beat Teams like Bama, LSU , A&M and now Ole Miss on a fairly regular basis. Beating, Kentucky and Arkansas and the 4 dwarfs won't get you a job At Georgia. Every time Dan has a monumental Game he blows it. In crunch time when the game is on the line he screws the pooch. $hit beat Ole Miss at home and we play in the Sugar Bowl, instead we look like the Little Sisters of the Poor And wind up in the Belk Bowl with the Rebs rubbing our noses in a big pile of dog $hit.

HSVDawg
12-19-2015, 11:35 AM
That's not a fact. At best they pitched an offer to the agent (that's iffy depending on who you talk with) and Dan rejected it. He was not interested or had talks with them. The biggest reason we knew so much about Miami was because the Miami prople were talking, a lot. Not Mullen or his agent. And it pissed Stricklin off that they were talking so much.

I just know there was an offer and Mullen is not the caliber of coach like a Harbaugh or Saban that gets blind offers without anyone at the school wanting to have formal or informal talks with him first to see how he would fit. So either Maryland is really stupid (which is possible) or he had some initial interest. But the offer did happen, whether it was floated to his agent or to him directly is irrelevant. Either way, it is a moot point now. He obviously wasn't interested in the job when all the chips were finally on the table or he could have had it. But I think its shaky at best to say that it was UGA or bust.

bulldawg28
12-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Good lord look at the UMiss fans replying. They are borderline pedophiles. They are definitely weird, desperate, and clingy, like a whipped girlfriend, but pedophiles? Many could be viable candidates.

Don't ever let one of those pompous goobers tell you they are Godly and love Freeze, because they literally worship these recruits, not God.

I think that would disturb me if I was a recruit. That's just......weird and reeks of desperation.

Over 500 likes and comments #Thenetwork# is real lol.

Coach34
12-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Ole Missus is a distant 3rd for AJ Brown

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 11:58 AM
I just know there was an offer and Mullen is not the caliber of coach like a Harbaugh or Saban that gets blind offers without anyone at the school wanting to have formal or informal talks with him first to see how he would fit. So either Maryland is really stupid (which is possible) or he had some initial interest. But the offer did happen, whether it was floated to his agent or to him directly is irrelevant. Either way, it is a moot point now. He obviously wasn't interested in the job when all the chips were finally on the table or he could have had it. But I think its shaky at best to say that it was UGA or bust.

Well I said at best there was an offer to the agent. Was told multiple times they asked if he was just interested with no offer and he said no. Didn't progress to any talks whatsoever. But it's done like you said and it really doesn't make near the negative to the public or the majority of the recruits as the board make it out to be. Sonny Dykes was interviewing all over the country and all that happened was he got a pay raise. Rich Rod had the USCe job but instead of the AD and fans turning on him they spin it and are grateful he stayed. We probably should take a much more relaxed approach to this stuff. Coaches come, go, are fired, leave for other jobs. Nature of the career. As long they handle it with the AD and players correctly then we really need to step back about whether or not he is or will leave.

HSVDawg
12-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Well I said at best there was an offer to the agent. Was told multiple times they asked if he was just interested with no offer and he said no. Didn't progress to any talks whatsoever. But it's done like you said and it really doesn't make near the negative to the public or the majority of the recruits as the board make it out to be. Sonny Dykes was interviewing all over the country and all that happened was he got a pay raise. Rich Rod had the USCe job but instead of the AD and fans turning on him they spin it and are grateful he stayed. We probably should take a much more relaxed approach to this stuff. Coaches come, go, are fired, leave for other jobs. Nature of the career. As long they handle it with the AD and players correctly then we really need to step back about whether or not he is or will leave.

I agree mostly with everything you said, except the recruiting part. I look at it as 4 levels of possible thought for Mullen, which could also be applied to anyone's particular job situation.

Level 1 - I'm perfectly happy at MSU and I'm not leaving unless I'm fired.
Level 2 - I'm very happy at MSU and don't want to leave, unless it's for (fill in the blank "dream school").
Level 3 - I'm pretty happy at MSU and don't mind staying. But if other similar or better schools were interested, I'd at least listen to what they have to say.
Level 4 - Get me the hell out of here. I'll take anything that's not in Starkville.

I think most of the sensationalist posters were pushing the narrative that Mullen was at Level 4, when in fact he was somewhere between Level 2 and Level 3. I also think about 95% of Power 5 coaches that have had any level of success fall in that same gray area, and there's nothing wrong with that. My issue with it is as many have said, he could have handled it much better in the media (even if that meant blatatly lying). One of the things Mullen has never been good at is how he handles himself with the media. It showed up before the season with the state flag issue and it showed up again with how he handled the job speculation. And it's impossible to quantify what the impact to recruiting might be, but it is certainly something that will be used against him on the recruiting trail. He could have been much more iron clad in his responses, but instead you just get responses like "no comment" like when he was at the Conerly presentation.

I seen it dawg
12-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Why are y'all still writing novels on this tired dead subject?

Really Clark?
12-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe on the recruiting if we stay flat this year. Looks promising that we will finish pretty well though. If so you can't really say it had a negative impact. We will see but they are working hard to finish out this class.

HSVDawg
12-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Why are y'all still writing novels on this tired dead subject?

Well for one thing its a slow news period. Would you like us to move onto another tired, dead subject like Hevesy's recruiting ability, how bad our basketball team sucks, TSUN recruiting conspiracies, or the Staley/Fitz debate? We are pretty much recycling dialogue until we have some big targets pull the trigger in recruiting or the bowl game gets here.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2015, 01:30 PM
What a dumpster fire this thread turned into.

Just because Dan looks around doesn't make him "not committed". Besides, we don't pay his ass to be "committed"...we pay him to win games. I've interviewed for jobs while being "committed" to one.

Good grief, what an awful thread.

I seen it dawg
12-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Well for one thing its a slow news period. Would you like us to move onto another tired, dead subject like Hevesy's recruiting ability, how bad our basketball team sucks, TSUN recruiting conspiracies, or the Staley/Fitz debate? We are pretty much recycling dialogue until we have some big targets pull the trigger in recruiting or the bowl game gets here.

Well you old ladies just keep it going then. Thanks.

bulldawg28
12-19-2015, 03:32 PM
People will bitch and complain about anything. This subject is very very old. Narrow mindsets are terrible